• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Regarding Hogwarts Legacy discussion and NeoGAF's stance on it

What would you prefer regarding Hogwarts Legacy discussion?

• Let the discussion take its course, even if that means the OT getting totally derailed

• Let the discussion take its course, warn people that start derailing it too much (way more mod work)

• Just ban everything not related to the game in the OT

• Ban everything not related to the game in the OT. Make another thread for side discussions

• Other (elaborate in the comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

.Pennywise

Banned
We're in the final run to Hogwarts Legacy's final release. If you don't know the monstrous controversy around this game at this point. you must be living under a rock.

Regarding this, I just want to discuss what people will expect from this game around NeoGAF discussion of it. Because there will be a beautiful OT to talk Hogawarts Legacy, but that thread will 100% sure be derailed and turned into political discussion about J.K. Rowling, trans people topics, politics, etc.

Since some of us (I'm sure we are at least SOME!) want to actually discuss the game first and foremost rather than all this controversy surronding it, sprouting all over, I wonder what will be done respecting this?

To add to it, Resetera just stated that they will not be doing an OT for the game and any discussion about it will be absolutely banned. That means people over there will be jumping back here, making the discussion even bigger and more convoluted.
We've already had the Cyberpunk 2077 example in the past, and that was a lot less controversial than this one, and we know how that went.

So, taking into account all these variables:
  • People coming from the other site to discuss the game
  • People talking about that other site regarding its ban
  • Politics being (at least sometimes lightly) banned from NeoGAF
  • Letting people discuss what they want to discuss instead of censuring discussion left and right
  • Where do we draw the line between what's discussing the actual game and what's discussing stuff related to the game
  • Having an OT that will surely be derailed if mods don't take a stance on it

What would you prefer to be done about it?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I promise you I'll be able to count the number of people here who want to yell about JK Rowling being bad on one hand.

It's going to be 99% posts from other places which will derail the conversation.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I promise you I'll be able to count the number of people here who want to yell about JK Rowling being bad on one hand.

It's going to be 99% posts from other places which will derail the conversation.
I sometimes want to yell at people who think her behavior warrants punishing everyone associated with the major IP she developed decades ago.

I just absolutely detest that we cannot have any conversation around this game without listening to so-called controversary that has literally nothing to do with the game. It's a gaming forum, and this isn't Resetera. I just want to talk about the game instead of sifting through all of this ancillary stuff that's unrelated to the game. Why isn't there a topic in the non-gaming discussion for people who want to talk about JK Rowling and "transphobia" and have those conversations or debates there? Have those important cultural discussion and debates there, to your heart's content. Why is every Hogwarts Legacy thread bogged down by this stuff?

Seriously, is there a thread where we can just discuss *just* the game? And nothing else? The game looks fantastic, and the dev team seems like they've delivered a pretty incredible title. Heaven forbid we talk about that, like every other game.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
but that thread will 100% sure be derailed and turned into political discussion about J.K. Rowling, trans people topics, politics, etc.

Meryl Streep Doubt GIF

.Pennywise

Banned

Honestly, not make a thread about it that draws attention to everything.

Treat it as normal as everything else, continue to ignore Era, etc. Business as usual IMO.

I absolutely expect the thread to be made 99% of comments discussing the game. This is a gaming forum, not a woke one.

Just ignore people who don't want to discuss the game, if you don't want to discuss the JKR TERF stuff.

And visa-versa.

Internet is hard.

Come on, let's no play silly here. Every thread on the game got totally derailed.

And even if you think and play the mature man that just ignores this topic, you'd need to be jumping entire pages in order to avoid these

dorkimoe

Id prefer people talk about the game and not JK Rowling who has NOTHING to do with the game. I think its different if the gameplay or game itself has some sort of issue, but her opinions and beliefs have absolutely nothing to do with me casting a spell and zapping some mofo

Last edited:
I voted to ban everything not related to the game in the OP. There's no political discussion on here anymore and I feel that's absolutely been for the better. Why change now? You want to cry about this shit you know where to go. Let the people who actually play videogames and want to discuss them have this space free of that garbage. I only feel bad for the mods who will no doubt have their work cut out for them in due time.

tkscz

The previous thread got derailed heavily to focus on the politics behind transgenerism or whatever you want to call it. But it didn't immediately happen, just towards the point before post in the thread started to slow.

However, I don't see an OT for the game in community would get that far off. They can continue using the previous threads for that reason.

Thabass

Make another thread, ban off-topic discussion not related to the game in the OT.

I think it should be discussed, and in great detail. But, the OT is FOR THE GAME, not the the CONTROVERSY. Separate them.

TonyK

I can't believe this needs a poll. It's a game, what matters here it's the game's quality. I can't understand how J.K.Rowling words can be relevant to the game. This seems an artificial problem nobody I know care of it.

i mean, does anyone actually want to talk about the game itself?
i dont think ive seen a single screenshot.

just let the discussion go wherever it goes, unless people start getting nasty with each other.
lame when its same two people taking the discussion super seriously and just replying to each other for pages and pages.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm expecting mass comedy. We need at least 5 members deputized, tasked with taking screencaps of Resetera and posting them here so we can all laugh. 2 members with photoshop skills will need to report in for memes for a minimum of 3 hours daily for 3 days. After that, memes can trickle out on an as needed basis. Everyone else try to focus on not being totally retarded.

Sybrix

The game is a game..............

If you're really worried that an OT on a game is going to be something to worry about then you should wake up, wake up and smell the ashes.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Come on, let's no play silly here. Every thread on the game got totally derailed.

And even if you think and play the mature man that just ignores this topic, you'd need to be jumping entire pages in order to avoid these

They wouldn't get derailed....

.... if people ignored that shit.

The truth is this forum is full of anti-woke people just ITCHING to bring up these topics, and not the other way around.

Corpsepyre

Banned
It's obvious that people will want to talk about the creator of the universe in SOME form, even if she didn't have any say in the story of the game or what the world is like. But you can't escape the fact that she's a very controversial figure. I'd suggest making two threads.

SJRB

Gold Member
The OT is about the game, and of course comparisons with the HP universe from both the books and the movies.

If you want to vent about your feelings about JK Rowling or your opinions about trans rights, write a blog or tweet about it.

Zero tolerance for political activism.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Make two threads, one for the culture war and one for game discussion, id rather not have to deal with that bs in the game discussion

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It's obvious that people will want to talk about the creator of the universe in SOME form, even if she didn't have any say in the story of the game or what the world is like. But you can't escape the fact that she's a very controversial figure. I'd suggest making two threads.
Probably just a review thread and an OT would cover it. Review thread will naturally have some comedy involved.

Mercador

i-m-afraid-to-ask.meme

What's the issue regarding this game? I don't expect anything special, it will sell well because of IP but the game will be average at best in my opinion.

Topher

Gold Member
i-m-afraid-to-ask.meme

What's the issue regarding this game? I don't expect anything special, it will sell well because of IP but the game will be average at best in my opinion.

Best answer.....

It's not. JK Rowlings is controversial because she spoke out against trans conversion of kids and other trans rights that come at the expense of female rights.

Mercador

But JK Rowlings isn't making this game, the only link is that she made a series of novels and EA makes a game about that IP. It seems far fetched to link the game to Rowlings opinions, whatever they might be (I don't follow controversies).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom