• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Regarding Hogwarts Legacy discussion and NeoGAF's stance on it

What would you prefer regarding Hogwarts Legacy discussion?

• Let the discussion take its course, even if that means the OT getting totally derailed

• Let the discussion take its course, warn people that start derailing it too much (way more mod work)

• Just ban everything not related to the game in the OT

• Ban everything not related to the game in the OT. Make another thread for side discussions

• Other (elaborate in the comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doczu

OT is OT!!

ZGlibGVzLTIuanBn

Talk about the game or get the fuck out. I am for a second thread regarding side discussion, but i don't think GAF is a place for that. We purged politics for a reason (even though i miss the politics board) and all that had to be said was already said (and mostly tolerated) in the LGR thread.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I feel our community does a pretty good job staying on course and correcting when veering off for a little bit- for the most part. The OT will be discussing the innocuous game itself and not this manufactured fragility that other threads are for.
Are we expecting thread bans or bans for people who bring in the JK Rowlings stuff into the OT?

I can always put the attention seekers or trolls on ignore, but I dont like to see people get banned for minor infractions either. Really not sure what the right approach is, but i hope some leniency is shown for first offenders.

anthony2690

Banned
I had to check I was on the right website for a second then.

I can't imagine anyone here will derail, you might get the odd person saying they don't see what all the fuss is about, like with all big highly anticipated releases.

But I think this probably the most anticipated game of the year for many.

Not even a Harry Potter fan and I'm really hoping this turns out to be a great fantasy RPG :)

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
. . .I am darn sure if there are no "rules" to the Hogwarts OT, that I'll just discuss what will be my first exposure to this "Wizarding World" outside of the first movie (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) somewhere else because we all know what happens when people pull that "Let's discuss how better and more smarter we are than those guys - " energy into a thread.

There are already countless, COUNTLESS threads that exist about the shit tangential to this game. Threads that already are "pseudo-gaming" threads that only exist to argue the same political points which were banned for a reason. When the conversation is no longer just about the drama surrounding a game, but about what another FORUM thinks about the game, the ability to actually do what we are all ostensibly here to do - discuss our experience with video games - is lost. Every. Single. Time.

.Pennywise

Banned
I had to check I was on the right website for a second then.

I can't imagine anyone here will derail, you might get the odd person saying they don't see what all the fuss is about, like with all big highly anticipated releases.
Go take a look at past Hogwarts Legacy threads, you have a really nice example in the best selling game of Steam

anthony2690

Banned
Go take a look at past Hogwarts Legacy threads, you have a really nice example in the best selling game of Steam
Really? I'll have a look, maybe I need to read more comments.

I tend to read first and current pages, if threads over 5+ pages.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Honestly, every thread topic should, well, stay on topic. If it's derailed, it should be brought up before it gets too far out of control. OTs should especially be about the game, and nothing else.

.Pennywise

Banned
And?

It was a contest to win a game, of course many people tried to win.

And even if someone post a meme about harry potter and reee, we laugh and move on.
And? And seems that's quite far from "literally nothing".

That thread it's just memes about that particular topic rather than the game.

And no, people don't move on. Go see the best selling game on Steam thread. People's been discussing controversy around the game and politics for countless pages.

Every thread about the game gets derailed. Stop acting like it's not something that's actually happening please.

Boneless

Just make a seperate topic for political discussions, the OT should be about the game not a witch hunt (no pun intented).

PS: JK Rowling is a feminist, some of her views dont align with some of the trans views. That makes her as much of a transphobe as it makes me a christianophobe because my atheistic views do not always align with christianic views.

The whole calling people a somethingphobe is just such a discussion killer.

Last edited:

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
Are we expecting thread bans or bans for people who bring in the JK Rowlings stuff into the OT?

I can always put the attention seekers or trolls on ignore, but I dont like to see people get banned for minor infractions either. Really not sure what the right approach is, but i hope some leniency is shown for first offenders.
We will handle the situation when the time comes. If there are those who have an objective to derail the conversation, then they'll be handled accordingly. We have always been more strict with OTs.

OT builders put a lot of time and effort into creating them and most people that partake want to discuss the game and game content itself.

Vick

This whole discussion feels wrong in the first place..

Let's have a normal Thread, if certain individuals get triggered by the sporadic joke they can easily ignore the jester or go somewhere else.

Leave these kind of cringe ass "problematic community meetings" on the asylum where they belong.

I just want to talk about the game

Regardless of your politics, Era are fucking clown shoes for banning an entire OT.

If moderation needs to keep things on track here, fine. Separate the art from the artist - and the artists who made this game deserve to have their work discussed, for good or bad, without the creator of the IP being used against them

Mikey Jr.

I would love it so that you need 100 posts to post in the ot.

You wanna stay on resetera? Be my guest. But now you wanna come to gaf to post about Hogwarts?

Kiss our ass lol.

Rykan

Make the official thread about the game only, and leave other threads to discuss everything surrounding it.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
What ever choice let’s me laugh at hypocrites buying the game after said they wouldn’t.

Arachnid

Leave things as normal and adjust only if it gets too Reeeetarded.
This. 99% of people on GAF are indifferent to all that noise. Hell, 99% of people in general are indifferent. The last 1% are weirdos screaming into the void. Let people talk if they like without policing while the rest of us share experiences and tips.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Ban everything not related to the game in the OT. The OT should be about the game and only about the game.

GymWolf

And? And seems that's quite far from "literally nothing".

That thread it's just memes about that particular topic rather than the game.

And no, people don't move on. Go see the best selling game on Steam thread. People's been discussing controversy around the game and politics for countless pages.

Every thread about the game gets derailed. Stop acting like it's not something that's actually happening please.
I think you are just being too dramatic dude, we have competent mods for people who derail.

And again, that topic is full of meme because op asked for memes to win a game.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
NeoGAF has a pretty strict “no politics” policy which should take care of most of the nonsense. I honestly don’t think there’s any controversy surrounding the game aside from a tiny proportion of noisy, neurotic voices - most of which aren’t members of this forum. I believe the discussion here will revolve around the game itself - which I hope is excellent for fans of HP.

LordCBH

I can ignore the twats who try to scream about the author. I don’t care what people say cause there’s a handy ignore feature for people behaving like cunt-biscuits.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I don't even understand why this thread exist. Just treat it like a normal game because that's exactly what it is ffs.

All of this bullshit is really insufferable.

Raven117

Gold Member
Hope the game is good! I think most video game fans Venn Diagramed with Harry Potter fans have been wanting something like this for almost 20 years. Is this finally the one?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Come on, let's no play silly here. Every thread on the game got totally derailed.

Didn't say they didn't, what I said was it's going to be 99% of people on the same page which is, people are overreacting about J.K. Rowling.

Unfortunately people here can't keep it in their pants, it's going to be pages and pages of pictures of people getting banned from Era for trying to talk about it, and media outlets whinging. I'm just gonna not bother and play the thing.

Last edited:

Fahdis

This isn't FacistEra. Let people do what they want. Ban whoever is taking extreme political takes on a gaming forum. Fuck politics being part of a hobby.

I’m on the fence about the game so would like to be able to read about it without having to listen to people (on either side) waffling on about nonsense. Woke this, trans that - it’s exhausting. I don’t care about any of it and I respectfully request you all kindly shut the fuck up. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I choose Other. I think we should ban all discussion on the game entirely because Harry Potter is for nerds.

Transphobic TERF proto fascist Nazi Hitler-Hugz nerds

Arun1910

I just want to stop seeing people mentioning the other site. Who gives a fuck what they do.

It's getting so boring going into Hogwarts Legacy threads hoping to see some discussion on the game and the first thing I always tend to see is people talking about how others are behaving outside this site.

Yes we should have an OT, and I'm all for keeping discussions about game content.

akimbo009

Gold Member
I think it should it's course. I say that knowing folks are using the topic as some proxy politics and sharpening their grudges against ResetERA for whatever "live rent free in their heads" reason.

I'm sure the OT will be a mess - and seeing some of the comments here I think validates the OP honestly.

JK Rowling said some 'controversial' things like person who menstruate is called a 'woman' or that 'being woman is ok'
No Way Reaction GIF by The Democrats

The world is seriously sick when some person just states some biological facts and gets death threats for it. Or that girl that’s fired because she said on Twitter that she looks forward to the game. Like wth people. The persons who do all this stuff should see a shrink instead of being helped to make their “terrible” life even worse and with it everyone else’s lives.

akimbo009

Gold Member
No Way Reaction GIF by The Democrats

The world is seriously sick when some person just states some biological facts and gets death threats for it. Or that girl that’s fired because she said on Twitter that she looks forward to the game. Like wth people. The persons who do all this stuff should see a shrink instead of being helped to make their “terrible” life even worse and with it everyone else’s lives.

Herewego.gif

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’ll be watching my wife play this and listening to my daughter complain how she’s not getting to play this. Wizard builds, secret items, optional quests, and etc. it would be nice to see a focus on those things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom