• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Regarding Hogwarts Legacy discussion and NeoGAF's stance on it

What would you prefer regarding Hogwarts Legacy discussion?

• Let the discussion take its course, even if that means the OT getting totally derailed

• Let the discussion take its course, warn people that start derailing it too much (way more mod work)

• Just ban everything not related to the game in the OT

• Ban everything not related to the game in the OT. Make another thread for side discussions

• Other (elaborate in the comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clarky

Gold Member
No fucks given. Looking forward to the game, seems like they made an effort with this one.

Last edited:
I am yet to see a single gaffer who is anti HW Legacy due to the Rowling stuff.

I propose we make the most special OT ever for HW Legacy due to the unfair treatment and harassment JK Rowling has faced from these "LGTV" cultists.

Marvel14

Banned
To add to it, Resetera just stated that they will not be doing an OT for the game and any discussion about it will be absolutely banned.
When enlightened liberal progressives degenerate deformedly into authoritarian big brothers who ban speech and cancel you for wrong think.

Nydius

The OT is about the game, and of course comparisons with the HP universe from both the books and the movies.

If you want to vent about your feelings about JK Rowling or your opinions about trans rights, write a blog or tweet about it.
I absolutely agree with this.

If i want to discuss JKR or politics, I'll go to Reddit or Twitter or Discord. I'd rather the OT be focused on the game, its reviews, and its content and not derailed by people flooding here to spew political nonsense (either for or against) making the thread a nightmare for people to read and mods to handle.

DeaDPo0L84

0YYAa98.jpg

If the game is good, people will be discussing its actual contents anyway. If it ends up disappointing, the controversy could take the spotlight. Whatever the case, I think people should just be able to discuss whatever they want so long as it is related to the game.

Hibs

There should be a game only thread. Leave the politics to ResetEra and let us just talk about games here in peace.

Exactly. Let Toolera make a thread topic about how toxic and transphobic people are for buying/playing the game, so when I lurk here all I see are positive or negative impressions about the actual game.

Please and thanks.

JackSparr0w

Banned
Let the discussion happen. This isn’t purple forum.

People who think you should boycott this game because JK Rowling is a woman with opinions on womanhood can come get this spit.
What's the harm of having a second thread to discuss politics without derailing the OT?

I cant believe people are voting for the first option. There will be zero discussion regarding the actual game.

Last edited:

Trunx81

Discussions will be even worse when the Switch version releases later this year. I mean, come on, it’s either an impossible port (tm by youknowwho) or a hot garbage mess. THATS what we will have to talk about!

Mr.ODST

I've already been told for months im a transphobe for wanting to purchase the game, im ready to just talk about the game and enjoy it.

Synless

Sorry, but this controversy is over bloated and not really discussed by the overwhelmingly larger majority of the population. NeoGAF should not deviate the course and make the OP as standard for new releases.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Isn't this just stirring the pot before the game launches? Who cares? The thread will be the thread. Bans will happen if people go too far off of the rails just like any other thread.

Separate threads and the "stupid shit" has no business being here in the gaming section in the OT thread
I just meant we don't need to be banned for saying we're "still getting the game" and stuff. Let people say what they want about it. If the game is good, talk will be about that, and if it's not then who cares where the official thread goes?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Isn't this just stirring the pot before the game launches? Who cares? The thread will be the thread. Bans will happen if people go too far off of the rails just like any other thread.
I disagree. Lots of people just want to talk about all the controversy and meltdowns and shit. There’s nothing wrong with that.

We should just have a separate thread where we can do that to our heart’s content instead of fighting an uphill battle trying to keep the OT on topic and banning people.

phant0m

OT should be about the game only. Make separate thread(s) for other discussions or don’t, doesn’t really matter. I feel like there should just be an Era thread about all their shenanigans because this isn’t the first case of this (see CP2077) and it sure as shit won’t be the last.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

Because it inevitably leads to conversation that has nothing to do with the game and gets people thread/banned for wading into it when it could have just been banned (in that thread, but not elsewhere). Like Rowling's views on the trans community have zero to do whatsoever with the Wizarding World, unless you can trace the development of the WW to her position on the issue, an issue that wouldn't have even existed when the first HP came out.

The ONLY direction conversation surrounding Rowling's comments and the response of communities outside of NG to these comments ends up is in a) discussion of the trans issue and trans communities in general and not within the context of the game and 2) updates about the reaction to the game from communities outside NG or from obscure individuals NG members would have never heard of had they not been sought out for posting. Like, I don't need to know that "humanrightsgirlBLM2847" is disgusted by so-and-so for not frowning hard enough when they saw a commercial for Hogwarts Legacy; it adds nothing to discussion about the game and is only being highlighted by the user in question so that they themselves can virtue signal about not virtue signaling ("Haha, look at all those weirdos over there!").

Every. Time. Just put conversation surrounding the cultural response to the game in another thread and leave the OT for people who want to discover the game with a community and not have such discussion lose oxygen from the same tired back and forth we've seen in dozens of threads already.

. . .hell even a grace period would be an acceptable compromise. And this line about "Oh, why does this game get special treatment?" Like, come on folks - this is one of THEE games of the year even without the controversy surrounding it - normal rules don't apply.

Neilg

A thread about the game which is allowed to talk about things that aren't the game will be unreadable and useless for game discussion.
Seperate threads.

Certinty

Personally, it actually disgusts me how some people are boycotting this game just because of one person.

The fact they want hundreds of developers and everyone else involved in creating this game suffering because of that is truly mind fucking to say the least.

What an awful bunch of people, seriously.

akimbo009

Gold Member
Personally, it actually disgusts me how some people are boycotting this game just because of one person.

The fact they want hundreds of developers and everyone else involved in creating this game suffering because of that is truly mind fucking to say the least.

What an awful bunch of people, seriously.

Why's it trigger you so much? If her opinion on shit doesn't matter nor should some random poster on some random other forum.

Folks so damn invested into this drama. If it's about the game let's keep OT clean - if it's like this thread (or all other Potter ones) it won't be.

Hawk269

I am really surprised, well not really on what Resetera is doing with this game. So there can be no discussion about a game that is going to be one of the bigger titles of 2023. I get the issues, but taking the stance they are is just bizarre. They should allow people to talk about the "GAME" not the politics around an individual person. It took a shit ton of people to make that game and one of the most popular gaming forums banning discussing a game that took 100's of people to make is not fair to them.

Last edited:
I don't see the controversy. The controversey is invented by a very naive and childish group on a small segment of the internet that's inconsequential and cries about literally anything that doesn't confine to their narrow view of the world.

It's a game about Harry Potter. That's it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This whole discussion feels wrong in the first place..

Let's have a normal Thread, if certain individuals get triggered by the sporadic joke they can easily ignore the jester or go somewhere else.

Leave these kind of cringe ass "problematic community meetings" on the asylum where they belong.
Exactly. There is no need for a thread like this. We can self police ourselves, and lets mods sort out any exceptions.

I understand the concern for thread derails but i highly doubt guys like hunnybun would be allowed to shit up the OT thread. This thread definitely reminds me of those threads on era that were mostly created for sanctimonious assholes who jerked each other off in a moral echo chamber. I like that Gaf is a dictatorship with Evillore and mods making common sense decisions instead of this design by committee approach which as we've seen can be easily hijacked by the most problematic and vocal posters.

EekTheKat

I have little to no investment in the fandom of Harry Potter. but this game popped on my radar because it actually looks like a fairly good take visually of the Harry Potter films.

As for discussions, I have no problems at all with talking about the merits or failures of the game itself, much like pretty much every other game that comes along as a part of this hobby. It would be interesting to hear from someone more invested in the lore telling how faithful the game actually is to the book or movies.

I'm half expecting this to be the Mordor game of this generation, though possibly be even more lore friendly than the somewhat questionable direction Shadows of Mordor took.

Last edited:

Crayon

Just let it be and reign in the derails.

Maybe consider reigning in the mentions of resetera. They skew younger so we should probly take the high road more often. I have to admit though, tehre are posts from there that are totally fascinating and not in a good way. Turns into a bit of a circle jerk tho.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I noticed the other forum had a thread to outline and remind why there won't be discussion. Such a special time but we don't need a primer in a place like this which is more normal than a lot of other forums. That means humor, thick skin, and intellect.

You don't want to live in a world or visit a forum/board and be limited on arbitrary things when many of us just want to have fun and diversion from life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom