• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie Fils-Aimé: "Facebook/Meta is not an innovative company."

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
maxresdefault-9.jpg

Speaking to Bloomberg's Emily Chang during SXSW, Fils-Aimé shared his thoughts on the current state of the so-called metaverse and discussed why he doesn't believe Facebook is currently on the right track to lead the way.

"Facebook itself is not an innovative company,” Fils-Aimé said. “They have either acquired interesting things like Oculus and Instagram, or they’ve been a fast follower of people’s ideas. I don’t think their current definition will be successful.”

Instead, Fils-Aimé thinks this digital future so many are striving towards will be led by "smaller companies that are really innovating" and companies like Epic Games who are doing "really compelling" things.

Reggie Fils-Aime Nintendo GIF by Mega 64

Last edited:

Goalus

He seems salty that the Virtual Boy was such a flop.
Meta bought Oculus, that is true.
But the Quest was developed long after the acquisition. And Quest is without a doubt an innovation that changed the world. In other words: it's good that he retired, he is completely out of touch.

Last edited:

Synless

But the Quest was developed long after the acquisition. And Quest is without a doubt an innovation that changed the world. In other words: it's good that he retired, he is completely out of touch.
Virtual Boy released in 1995…. He joined in the early 2000’s. There is no connection for him to be salty about.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The quest is a result of crystal cove prototypes from many years ago. Oculus and carmack had it all ready.
They have not done anything new since buying oculus. quest 2 is just the same thing

SteadyEvo

I don’t see VR taking off regardless of the company. Dedicated game makers have struggled for traction. Facebook is gonna make it work? 😆 no

Goalus

The quest is a result of crystal cove prototypes from many years ago. Oculus and carmack had it all ready.
They have not done anything new since buying oculus. quest 2 is just the same thing
Several original Oculus employees left the company when FB canned the Rift in order to focus on mobile, completely untethered solutions because they were not happy with the decision. The focus on Quest resulted from FB's vision of future VR technology.

Virtual Boy released in 1995…. He joined in the early 2000’s. There is no connection for him to be salty about.
Furthermore, as he's no longer a Nintendo employee, he is not obligated to have any sort of "Nintendo think" in his PR speak.
The fact that he vouched for Epic Games, something he probably couldn't do at Nintendo, attests to this.

It probably helps him that he already has familiarity with Second Life and Playstation Home, projects "Metaverse" can be directly compared to.

winjer

Gold Member
Meta is constantly finding innovative ways to steal our data, manipulate mobs, and screw up society.
So I would say it's very innovative, but for all the wrong things.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
While it's fun to hate on Facebook, I doubt anyone who's worked at Nintendo of America in any prominent position has any business criticizing anyone else on innovation. 🤔

But again, I'll never understand the fascination some people seem to have for the opinion of certain former console manufacturer executives.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Epic is a VR platform competitor?

They'll have a large presence in the industry, that's 100% true, but I don't even see much about them trying

Realistically it's going to be Meta/Apple/PlayStation/Valve/HTC and maybe Microsoft, and not all of that group may make it when VR is mainstream

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
He's really not wrong. Anything even close to innovatIve that Meta has is something they bought by selling personal information. .

Codes 208

Hes hardly downtalking oculus, hes saying that facebook/meta itself is more of a follower and not very innovative outside of buying big names (like oculus)

And frankly, i agree.

The Regginator doesn't lie, except Epic Games.

Facebook will probably buy Epic next.

Tencent owns 49% of it's shares, and they're going for the remaining which Tim owns, right from the beginning of their partnership, and one day Tim will nod.

Oh, and Tencent selling it to Meta has less chances than Half-Life 3.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
The Regginator doesn't lie, except Epic Games.

Tencent owns 49% of it's shares, and they're going for the remaining which Tim owns, right from the beginning of their partnership, and one day Tim will nod.

Oh, and Tencent selling it to Meta has less chances than Half-Life 3.

isnt There ways around this? Bungie was owned by different companies but sony still managed to buy them.

Last edited:

Changed the world….hahahahahahhahahhaa

Ezquimacore

Banned
Wtf are you rambling about

-Minsc-

"Facebook itself is not an innovative company,” Fils-Aimé said. “They have either acquired interesting things like Oculus and Instagram, or they’ve been a fast follower of people’s ideas. I don’t think their current definition will be successful.”

Instead, Fils-Aimé thinks this digital future so many are striving towards will be led by "smaller companies that are really innovating" and companies like Epic Games who are doing "really compelling" things.
Contained within the lines of the above quote a cycle of business and acquisition.

John Wick

maxresdefault-9.jpg

Speaking to Bloomberg's Emily Chang during SXSW, Fils-Aimé shared his thoughts on the current state of the so-called metaverse and discussed why he doesn't believe Facebook is currently on the right track to lead the way.

Reggie Fils-Aime Nintendo GIF by Mega 64
He's still a wanker, sad and quite pathetic. I don't think Facebook give a shit what Reggie the knob thinks. He needs to focus on the companies he works for and not worry what Zuckerberg the tosser and Co are upto.

Top Bottom