• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Regulators ‘expand their investigations’ into Activision Blizzard’s misconduct issues

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Wall Street Journal reports that both the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH) have sent additional subpoenas as their investigations continue.

However, while Activision Blizzard claims to be cooperating with the SEC’s investigation, it continues to resist the DFEH probe.

The SEC is a government agency tasked with protecting investors and maintaining fair, orderly, and efficient markets.

According to the report, the SEC has sent an additional subpoena to Activision as part of an investigation it launched in September 2021 related to the company’s handling of sexual misconduct and discrimination allegations.

The SEC has already subpoenaed members of Activision Blizzard’s leadership team, including CEO Bobby Kotick, and the new subpoena is reportedly intended to seek further information.

After the first subpoena was reported, an Activision Blizzard spokesperson said the company was cooperating with the SEC, which had also asked for personnel files for several former staff members and details of recent separation agreements the company had struck with ex-employees.

It’s been less willing to assist the DFEH, which was the first agency to file a lawsuit against the company for its alleged failure to handle sexual harassment and discrimination against employees.

According to the WSJ’s new report, the agency has now subpoenaed Activision’s directors, and has also subpoenaed police departments in Los Angeles to see if they have any records related to Kotick or 18 other current and former Activision Blizzard employees.

An Activision spokesperson told the WSJ that the subpoenas to police departments were an “extraordinary fishing expedition”.

The DFEH’s original suit said it “found evidence” that the company “discriminated against female employees in terms and conditions of employment, including compensation, assignment, promotion, termination, constructive discharge and retaliation,” and that “female employees were subject to sexual harassment”.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Uh oh.

No wonder Kotick is abandoning ship. Still gonna squeeze every penny.

kingfey

Banned
Took you long to do this shit. This should have done long time ago. Not when MS buys the company.
Still good thing neverthless. better be late than never.

jigglet

Banned
Lmao what role do regulators play here?

I’m doing some work with the gambling regulators now and they have a lot of power. But what power do regulators have in the gaming industry.

I’m not saying there shouldn’t a body out there that can do something, I just wonder what exists. I doubt they have any real power.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Basically, all these IPs are going to be handled by an entirely different staff. I think these companies are duds, and they're duds because of this stuff, and whatever decisions took them away from their 2000s approach. I think StarCraft: Andromeda is on the horizon...

Jennings

Whatever happens I hope Blizzard can one day return to the exact work environment that produced games like Warcraft 3, Diablo 1 & 2, Starcraft 1. Those were the days, and whatever the workplace was like, it was by far the most effective.

Rat Rage

Whatever happens I hope Blizzard can one day return to the exact work environment that produced games like Warcraft 3, Diablo 1 & 2, Starcraft 1. Those were the days, and whatever the workplace was like, it was by far the most effective.

This will never happen. Back then the development environment and the gaming market were different. Blizzard has become a multi-billion dollar company (at least Microsoft thinks so), and with that the greed for money has taken over. Back then it was entirely possible for developers to make a game they like and be successful at the same time. Diablo 1 & 2 and Starcraft 1 are exeptional games and good examples (another one would be DOOM I guess) that soley reflect the developers own visions. Today most developers are forced to create games they probably don't even like themselves, or rather, they are forced to make games others (the business side of their companies) like, which sucks all the soul out of the game-creating-process and forces them to cripple their visions.
Whatever misconduct happend at Blizzard during the last few years, it is not the reason they haven't been able to make truly top-tier games, it's just that - often in the gaming market - huge finacial success leads to a shift in decision making at companies, away from the original creators and towards non-creators (business- and marketing people).

Tschumi

encounter at farpoint star trek GIF

Bring 'em to trial!

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

yurinka

I can only find similar stories and none where kotick should stay permanently
Yes, these are only assumptions from reporters. Here you have them mentioning Kotick will continue:

Both MS & Activision nots: 'Bobby Kotick will continue to serve as CEO of Activision Blizzard, and he and his team will maintain their focus on driving efforts to further strengthen the company's culture and accelerate business growth'
https://investor.activision.com/new...e-activision-blizzard-bring-joy-and-community
https://news.microsoft.com/2022/01/...ty-of-gaming-to-everyone-across-every-device/

Kotick's mail about the acquisition to employees: ' I will continue as our CEO with the same passion and enthusiasm I had when I began this amazing journey in 1991.'
https://activisionblizzard.com/newsroom/2022/01/defining-the-future

Kotick, to Spencer on a conference call for investors about the acquisition: 'we couldn’t be more excited for the incredibly exciting future we have ahead and together':
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Inv...osoft-and-Activision-Blizzard-Conference-Call

SEC filing Q&A for investors and regulators about the acquisittion: ''Bobby will continue to serve as CEO of Activision Blizzard, and he and his team will maintain their focus on driving the company's culture change and accelerating business growth until closing.'
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/0000718877/000110465922005526/tm223212d10_defa14a.htm

Last edited:
Top Bottom