• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remastering Games is has no fix standards, its a spectrum.

i was gonna respond to the Metriod Remaster thread but this needed its own discussion.

People, Remastering games is a spectrum. Not every Remastered game has the same intention for modernization.

1. Low-end remastered / Emulation: playable on modern hardware.
  2. Average remastered
  3. High-end remaster
  4. Remake

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

It's a 3 tier system.

Level one - just unlock the framerate and resolution. Possibly wide-screen if needed. Almost zero effort.

Level two - same as above but maybe fix some bugs and include community mods and new textures. Minimal effort.

Level three - remake - new models, textures, possibly new animations and dialogue (example Mafia 1). Level of effort - it's a bit of work, alright.

Reactions: Isa

Kuranghi

vUhuyXp.png

Probably a good thing for my job since its to make people like/trust you and empathise with them. I did actually help a woman find a new TV for her autistic 23 year old son the other day, she was extremely stressed and I felt for her :(

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

From what I gathered, it IS a remaster, however they DID add SOME things. Changes in geometry, new lighting engine, etc. A lot of folks labeled it as an in-between, lol.

But, I don't know, it doesn't need to be that complicated. It was not rebuilt from the ground up in a new engine. Therefore it's a remaster in my eyes, personally.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Ill have you know games are allowed to identify as whatever they want to be identified as and I will respect their choice regardless of my personal opinions on the matter.

You dont want to be called a bigot for not using their correct nouns do you?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
You are who you are, doing that test doesn't change anything, it doesn't matter a fuck pal :pie_hugging
Yeah I've always thought I'm kinda shy and bit obsessive, but that's probably all there's to it. Thanks for the kindness mate. :)

TexMex

When I read the OP I immediately knew he was right. This post could not possibly have existed as a reply to the Prime thread. Really incredible insight that needed to stand on its own. Bravo.

vUhuyXp.png

Probably a good thing for my job since its to make people like/trust you and empathise with them. I did actually help a woman find a new TV for her autistic 23 year old son the other day, she was extremely stressed and I felt for her :(
Waste of time…took the time to do the test on my cell phone.
jmfDgb5.png

I don't think that's right, though I do agree there are different levels for a remaster, at the end of the day they are a remaster. Many of the things OP listed are not a remaster. This is how I like to see it:

1. Port/Emulation. The lowest effort. It's essentially the same game, just being made to run on newer platforms, perhaps with some minimal improvements, like running on a higher res or better framerate. Maybe some new controller schemes. I think of the many ports the Wii got, or even the Switch, such as Bayonetta 2.
2. Remaster. Medium effort. Build upon the previous level, where the dev spends significant resources creating new textures, assets, improvements to engine, perhaps fixing egregious bugs and adding quality of life improvements. Adding new features and modes are on the table. Metroid Prime Remaster is here.
3. Remake. Highest effort. Some of the original code might still be present, but the game is essentially being built from scratch. It's essentially a new game, but it respects and pays homage to the source material. Generally speaking, the story and/or "feel" of the game are preserved. REmake and RE2 Remake come to mind.
4. Reimagining: This goes beyond a remake. It's a completely different game, doesn't attempt to preserve the original experience, but rather provide something new in a different direction. Story, characters and settings might greatly differ. A completely different game by all means. Best example I can think of is Silent Hill Shattered Memories.

stranno

You missed the "can be worse than the og game" situation.

There are many games, but I would choose Bully Scholarship Edition to be the finest example.

ShadowLag

1. Port/Emulation. The lowest effort. It's essentially the same game, just being made to run on newer platforms, perhaps with some minimal improvements, like running on a higher res or better framerate. Maybe some new controller schemes. I think of the many ports the Wii got, or even the Switch, such as Bayonetta 2.
A port is very different from emulation. With a real port, the developers actually open the source code, make changes that allow it to run on the new target hardware natively, and recompile the game into a new binary. Whatever benefits the new system has over the previous one in terms of power, the game will generally pick up on right away, assuming they designed it well. Since this method uses the actual source code and raw game assets, they can easily make real gameplay changes and bug fixes, edit levels, add bonus stuff, or do whatever else they want. It's *technically* a brand new game.

Emulation is a straight copy + paste of an old binary that is still built for the previous hardware that still thinks it's running on the old system, with a program on top attempting to translate that old code in real time to something the current/new system can work with to barf out something resembling the old visuals and audio. It's much more complicated to make any actual changes to the game in emulation beyond a resolution increase, although it's doable with enough effort - there are plenty of ROM hacks of classic games out there, but they're limited in scope due to no real source code access. Performance is also going to be worse because there's massive overhead involved with trying to figure out and mimic what the old game code was doing at playable framerates.

Anyway, I would say emulation is the bottom of the barrel effort, after a decent emulator is already developed. The further back in time you go with a game, the more code is likely to need to be re-written and re-tested by human programmers that require paychecks. If you have an emulator, you can just rip SM64-US1.1-FINAL.ROM or something, slap that shit into a folder, charge $60+ and call it a day.

Freeza93

Banned
How about?!! ehm making new games ffs? im so sick of this shit remasters and remakes. Fuck them all.

only tlou1 was great because it really is a good game but everything else.

shit started in 8 gen. now in the 9th we are at remaking everything?! fuck no.

what will happen in gen 10? remaster the first remakes. or remake the first remasters?

Stop buying this crap. You pay full price and know exactly what you will play?! how boring is that.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member

vUhuyXp.png

zUZv7rw.jpg

i am what i am nbc GIF by The Blacklist

BlackTron

I don't think I've ever started my own thread before but I'm tempted to start when anyone can just waltz in and be like "remasters are a spectrum, this needed its own thread" and "what if we had Steam Pass with all games for $199/yr"

Top Bottom