• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy’s AAA game with Epic, which may be Alan Wake 2, ‘is soon entering full production’

3liteDragon

Control studio provides an update on the status of its current projects.
Remedy Entertainment’s AAA project created in partnership with Epic Games will “soon” be entering full production. The Finnish developer behind Control signed publishing agreements with Epic Games for two unannounced titles in March 2020.

“Remedy’s AAA game project with Epic Games is soon moving into full production, and the second, smaller-scale game continues in full production mode,” the studio confirmed in a business review published on Wednesday.

It was previously announced that one of the titles was a “AAA multi-platform game”, and that the second one was a “smaller-scale” project set in the same franchise. Both are being developed on Remedy’s proprietary Northlight game engine and tools. Epic Games Publishing will cover up to 100% of development costs and all publishing costs, and will share profits 50/50, once its development costs have been recouped.“

Epic understands what it takes to make a big game,” Remedy’s creative director Sam Lake said when the partnership was announced. “They want to give us full creative freedom.” GamesBeat reporter Jeff Grubb claimed in March that Remedy was going to develop Alan Wake 2, with the sequel set to be published by Epic Games. Remedy also has several other projects in the works. In its business review, it noted that almost all of its internal Control developers are now working on other games, “including a new, exciting early-phase project”.

It added: “The Crossfire team is finalizing the single-player operations for Smilegate’s CrossfireX and Crossfire HD. With both of these games launching in 2021, this is a significant year for Crossfire. “With Vanguard, our free-to-play co-op game project, we have now defined many of the core elements of the game. Development progresses at a good pace, internal playtesting continues, and we are starting the next phase of closed external gameplay testing.”

Remedy previously said Vanguard’s goal is to combine a “long-term” multiplayer experience with its own unique features.

jakinov

so it's at least 3 years away... possible 4 or 5... well, great?
production is just a phase of the game development cycle they already have over a year of development work on this game. Control was made in 3 years and they expect to release their games pretty frequently by reusing their engine. It could still be 3 or more years away if things don’t go as planned. There are game’s that spend as much as two of they development years before going into “production”

Bro your name is fucked up
That’s not nice 😭

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

makaveli60

In a new fiscal report, Remedy Entertainment has revealed that Control has surpassed 10 million players and updates on the development of the other projects, the rumored Alan Wake 2, is in full production.
Until that releases, I hope they will remaster the first games.

You would assume so, I am about 90% sure it will be.

Can't wait for the backlash Timbo the twitter twat, will receive if it ends up full exclusive.

Personally I don't mind it, as it's fully funded by them. Will play it on console or gamepass, but this moron tried to stand on the moral high ground of "wE dOn'T dO fULL eXcLuSiVeS oNLy tImEd, bEcUz cOmpEtiTiOnz!!!" before on twitter or during an interview, so it's going to be glorious.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I played alan wake when it first game out. I wanted to love it but just found the whole experience weird. Not my cup of tea!

Kenpachii

Alan wake concept was great until it got butchered and shipped to consoles. The game play was just dreadful.
Hope alan wake 2 will be more interesting.

Kadve

I'm just wondering how the hell they are gonna continue the series. Felt like they wrote themselves into a corner with the first games ending.

Maybe a new protagonist that investigates the original games events?

ymoc

Alan Wake had such an amazing map. But instead of focusing on some adventuring and letting us explore the locations and characters it rushed us through everything and just threw mediocre combat at every opportunity.

It could've been one of the best games ever. Such a waste.

After being super disappointed with Control my hype for AW2 is minimal.

Last edited:
Alan Wake was amazing. I tried Control recently, Gameplay was fine, but the setting was just way too weird for my taste. So yea, bring on Alan Wake 2!

give it to me GIF

I loved Alan Wake so much. Recently played and 100% finished Control and Quantum Break, so I am so ready for more!

Control did a really nice job of setting up Alan Wake 2 by the way, definitely check out the DLC for Control if you haven't yet.

Ah Alan Wake.... Where do I start with you... This game was the one that made me buy a Xbox 360. I remember being floored by the first few trailers. An expansive open world where you fully explore the town of Brightfalls and then at night look for shelter and refuge because at night or in dark places the enemies roam. Huge open world, lots of secrets to discover. I even joined the Remedy forums back in the day. It was so much fun exchanging ideas and coming up with scenarios of how the game was going to be. My imagination ran wild.

And then... Remedy scratched all those ideas and made Alan Wake a linear game with very little exploration. The final result disappointed me so much and it disappointed a big chunk of the forum upon release, the fights were legendary. The only good thing I can say is that I met one of my best friends to this day on that forum.

The only game released so far that came close to being what I had envisioned Alan Wake to be is Deadly Premonition. Which is one of my favorite games ever inspite of the jank.

If Remedy announces Alan Wake 2 I will keep a close eye on it and have an open mind. But that's the one game that to this day hurts my heart when I think about it.

Top Bottom