• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy to open a new studio in Sweden

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In the past 12 months, as Remedy Entertainment has embraced a more hybrid model of working, multiple Sweden–based senior game developers have joined our studio working fully remotely from the second-best Nordic country.

As noted today in our Q3 business update, Remedy is officially expanding to Sweden in 2022 by opening a Swedish subsidiary. Senior-level developers based in Sweden can join us in making great, genre-defining games on their home turf.

Swedish representation has long been strong at Remedy. For over a year, multiple Sweden–based talent have been working for the company as part of a pilot initiative in Stockholm, led by the General Manager of our Vanguard project, Johnny Mang.

“The shift to location-agnostic work in the wake of COVID made us realize that Remedy is a state of mind, rather than a place in Finland”, says Mang.

Remedy is looking to hire up to 25 developers in Sweden by the end of 2022. We are also planning to open a work space in the first half of 2022 in central Stockholm for Sweden–based Remedians to be able to get together and work in an office space when needed, since face to face communication is important in the hybrid model too.
“We understand that everyone is different, and has different needs, on different days. Some days are best spent focused, headphones on, working on something cool, whereas other days, such as when teams are working on planning, perhaps would benefit from in-person facetime. The hybrid model is about letting people choose the method that works best for them, on any given day”, adds James Salt, one of our Game Directors based in Sweden.
We’re excited to continue this initiative and to broaden our presence in the Nordics from Sweden.

pqueue

I like Remedy games, and Alan Wake is my second favorite game of all time but let's be real. Nothing from them in the last 15 years has burned down the bestsellers list.
Yes, they've made money but not much more than their development costs, even with the boosts from outside parties.

They seem to be growing too quickly for someone who just has not had a big seller since Max Payne 2.

Shubh_C63

They seem to be growing too quickly for someone who just has not had a big seller since Max Payne 2.
They must be good with controlling finances and sorts. QB was a costly disaster, Control was amazing but sales didn't reflect that too much. They're industry veterans and I am sure other parties involved would agree to invest in them. Another studio only now, I say its about time.

pqueue

They must be good with controlling finances and sorts. QB was a costly disaster, Control was amazing but sales didn't reflect that too much. They're industry veterans and I am sure other parties involved would agree to invest in them. Another studio only now, I say its about time.
not so much. They have had a lot of outside investment - from TenCent, then Epic and others. So they are growing on the promise/idea of future revenues. Which they really have not met in more than a decade.

Top Bottom