• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember tweakguides.com? The owner's story broke my heart

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I don't know if it belongs here or in off-topic, or if I should post it at all, so I apologize in advance if this cant be here.

I was on my nostalgia trip and recalled tweakguides.com, a site which advised on PC settings and builds etc. I remember visiting it a lot during 2006-10. I visited it and got to know that the owner (who was also a member here K Koroush ) got Parkinson's a couple of years back and it has been pretty bad since then. I read the last post of Jan'22 and it broke my heart man. The sheer debilitating effects of the disease and how he was being treated by the society, health system and even his own family. I also visited his twitter, which was linked in the update, and there were videos there. This young handsome guy who at one point felt almost personally known me being destroyed by this disease and wanting to die :(

I am posting this because I just felt very sad and wanted to vent, and also because he kept mentioning that he wanted people to be not afraid of him and be aware of Parkinson's. I don't know how he is now but I hope he gets better and will always remember his as guy who helped millions out with his guides (just as he wants).

Edit- Also a message to all my GAF bros. Live your life y'all. We never know which way it will go and all we have is right now. Spend time with family, have fun and create good memories. Dont be so busy that you cant do these things. This is what matters. I know its cringe but I am pretty sad right now. Love you all.

website- https://koroushghazi.com/
Twitter- https://twitter.com/KoroushGhazi/with_replies?lang=en

Last edited:

Cryio

Man, I read his last 6 tweets and I started crying. I've never known the man, but I've read his website multiple times per day every since 2006 or 2007 when I discovered it until he closed it.

I read every single post he ever made, be it personal or just games / software stuff. The whole ordeal with Nvidia.

This hits me like Robin William's death or some extent, Chester Bennington (of Linkin Park)'s death.

Why do bad things have to happen to good people.

SoraNoKuni

Man... I never knew about him, makes me even more sad but I was a kid that was just using a site I found on Google.

I really hope after his last tweets he somehow found some peace, if you ever stumble in this forums, thanks for everything dude you made my childhood a little more tolerable.

jigglet

Banned
I was in Boston and this guy who made me a burger had really bad parkinsons. Broke my heart that he couldn't just stay at home and not have to work.

And ditto to the guy above who suggested medical cannabis.

This is extremely sad. I hope he is in a better place mentally now. Tweakguides had a place in my browser favourites bar all through the 2000s. It was influential in turning the tedium of "tweaking", a constant reality to me with underpowered PCs, into something more interesting. The articles were extremely in-depth and thoroughly well researched. It's sad to realise how the popularity of YouTube tech videos from the likes of DF (DF is great imo) led to the decline of traffic to the site.

Wish Koroush all the strength to pull through this dark period.

BigBooper

It's sad. Seems like he's in a downward spiral and needs someone or something to help level him out.

Can't really do that as a distant acquaintance because you have to know what they are going through to be able to suggest alternatives. I've met many long sufferers of disease that just get a chip on their shoulder that the world is against them, where really most people just don't know how to deal with abnormal situations.

If you are close enough, I think talking is the best thing you can do. Call him up on skype or something and just talk about anything. Any distraction is a good distraction during those times. If you really want to go deep, since he's a tech guy he might be interested in doing a podcast.

Top Bottom