• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember when Microsoft wanted to drastically increase the price of Xbox Gold, a story of why consolidation isn't good for gamers

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAL2006

Banned
Remember when Microsoft wanted to drastically increase the price of online play to force people into Gamepass and they backtracked after an outcry. There are gamers out there that just want to play a handful of games and don't want Gamepass, especially the COD crowd. This is why consolidation is not good for gamers. Let's say Microsoft continue their onslaught and buy up Capcom, Ubisoft, Take Two and so on. In 10 years time into the next generation where Microsoft own majority nof the popular IPs. They will start trying to recoup their money spent on giving away games on Gamepass, their running costs on studios, their massive acquisitions they made.

They can do some crazy shit like say for example COD is only available on Gamepass you can't buy it. They can make online play disappear and you need Gamepass for online play. They can increase the price of Gamepass by alot. The design of games can be changed to fit the Gamepass model, now Gamepass is getting games as lots of those games get money from sales on PlayStation, you have game design based on the standard game selling models as Microsoft is making deals to get Gamepass on track right now.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Hey guys, remember when Microsoft did this bad thing?

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Great thread.
Trigger Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Plantoid

Even if gamepass was $29,99 it would still be worth it imo

I've played like 20 games on GP this year, not all of them were day 1, but I don't mind waiting a bit to play some games that I don't know if I will enjoy yo buy at full price

If I were to buy them all, it's north of $500

Also, owning something is overrated, im seriously thinking in selling my car and start renting

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
Hey guys, remember when Microsoft did this bad thing?

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Great thread.

It's not exclusive to Microsoft, any corporation that has a monopoly can do what the fuck they want. Just look at Sony who started charging more for games. Imagine if they owned COD and other IPs they would be just as bad or if not worse.

KAL2006

Banned
Even if gamepass was $29,99 it would still be worth it imo

I've played like 20 games on GP this year, not all of them were day 1, but I don't mind waiting a bit to play some games that I don't know if I will enjoy yo buy at full price

If I were to buy them all, it's north of $500

Yeah for you it's fine, but for gamers who buy say 2 games a year and Microsoft suddenly make the game only playable if you have Gamepass and increase the price of Gamepass those folks are fucked and will have to just pay for Gamepass.

ManaByte

Gold Member
It's not exclusive to Microsoft, any corporation that has a monopoly can do what the fuck they want. Just look at Sony who started charging more for games. Imagine if they owned COD and other IPs they would be just as bad or if not worse.
Charging more for games is nothing compared to holding Fortnite accounts hostage. Especially considering the money people spend on that game.

Aion002

Remember when Sony increased 10 bucks on PS games for no reason?

Remember when MS released game pass, a service that gives the subscribers access to a crap ton of games and allows them to buy the games with a discount?

This Is Spinal Tap Perspective GIF

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom