• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember when Peter Moore talked about games feeling like a lucid dream?

"Next generation games will combine unprecedented audio and visual experiences to create worlds that are beyond real and they'll deliver storylines and gameplay so compelling that it will feel like living a lucid dream. The result is a state where you achieve the perfect mind-body equilibrium as you forget your physical surroundings and you become completely immersed in the game itself; this controller becomes an extension of your body - it becomes a gateway to the Zen of gaming."

Peter Moore said this almost 15 years ago when talking about the Xbox 360. Specifically when he compares being immersed in a game to living a lucid dream, it's interesting to me because I feel like that's the best way to describe the feeling of playing a great game. And perhaps this is also why the first-person camera and VR gaming have become more popular because they put you in a similar dream-like state as the immersion is greater.

Then you think about some of the stories and ideas in these games, from Shadow of the Colossus to Death Stranding, that they're so weird but also highly intriguing. Now while it's true that some games are less like games and more movies, this is also true of dreams. You have more control in a lucid dream than you do a regular one. And just like dreams, there are games that stick with you more than others likely because of their ideas, setting, stories etc.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I hope we continue to see weird games with stories and ideas so creative they feel like they were plucked out of the creator's mind, like remnants of a forgotten dream. Even if the gameplay doesn't have a whole lot of action, that's okay, as long as everything else is super interesting. Keep them coming, game developers!

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I hope we continue to see weird games with stories and ideas so creative they feel like they were plucked out of the creator's mind, like remnants of a forgotten dream.

This reminds me of the vibe I got when playing Hellblade. I’m that whole game is almost dreamlike in its presentation and delivery, imo.

Your SOTC example is a great one too. “Magical,” for lack of a better term.

I would even say The Evil Within accomplishes this to a lesser extent, so does Control.

I dig “surreal,” if that’s the appropriate label.

Last edited:
Yeah, surreal. I feel like most Japanese developed games are good at this but otherwise Remedy Entertainment comes to mind also. But it's as much about the ideas and setting as it is the presentation. I imagine if Kojima created a VR game it would be a very interesting experience.

D.Final

Banned
"Next generation games will combine unprecedented audio and visual experiences to create worlds that are beyond real and they'll deliver storylines and gameplay so compelling that it will feel like living a lucid dream. The result is a state where you achieve the perfect mind-body equilibrium as you forget your physical surroundings and you become completely immersed in the game itself; this controller becomes an extension of your body - it becomes a gateway to the Zen of gaming."

Peter Moore said this almost 15 years ago when talking about the Xbox 360. Specifically when he compares being immersed in a game to living a lucid dream, it's interesting to me because I feel like that's the best way to describe the feeling of playing a great game. And perhaps this is also why the first-person camera and VR gaming have become more popular because they put you in a similar dream-like state as the immersion is greater.

Then you think about some of the stories and ideas in these games, from Shadow of the Colossus to Death Stranding, that they're so weird but also highly intriguing. Now while it's true that some games are less like games and more movies, this is also true of dreams. You have more control in a lucid dream than you do a regular one. And just like dreams, there are games that stick with you more than others likely because of their ideas, setting, stories etc.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I hope we continue to see weird games with stories and ideas so creative they feel like they were plucked out of the creator's mind, like remnants of a forgotten dream. Even if the gameplay doesn't have a whole lot of action, that's okay, as long as everything else is super interesting. Keep them coming, game developers!

Maybe he knows something about the game Dreams for PS4 :messenger_open_mouth:

Top Bottom