• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reminder, GTA definitive edition sold close to 10m copies since release. our effort is futile against these big companies🙃

kingfey

Banned

GTA’s remaster trilogy has ‘significantly exceeded expectations’ with up to 10m sales​

If you think we have a big impact in gaming world, then that is how much our impact is worth. We can never fight against these normies, who out numbers us.

As long as these people buy these type of games, we will get shit ports and bad games, simply because there are audience who will happily pay for it.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I did my part not buying that shit.

Don't be so depressed about it man. Yeah this shitty game made a ton of money, but that's not gonna kill developers with actual passion for the medium, who will keep making actual good games instead of rushed shit like this fucked up Definitive Edition.

LordCBH

Considering it was $10. Eh? I don’t regret spending $10 on it.

Edit: I’m retarded and can’t read. Not the GTAV Definitive Edition. The absolute sham of a remastered trilogy.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
As long as these people buy these type of games, we will get shit ports and bad games, simply because there are audience who will happily pay for it.
PC gamers who has bought games the last fifteen years

f63ed4353608ac2c6080fdafedd60865.png

To think we, Gaffers has any influence on anything is silly.

I love you all, but we are living in a echo chamber.

We laugh at gta v still selling, fifa and cod being the most sold games every year, yet nothing we do will change anything.

We think exclusives - especially from one platform - are the most valuable and best selling games, yet it's nornies who decides to play fifa and cod on their console and doesn't give a shit about anything but fortnite.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
PC gamers who has bought games the last fifteen years

f63ed4353608ac2c6080fdafedd60865.png

To think we, Gaffers has any influence on anything is silly.

I love you all, but we are living in a echo chamber.

We laugh at gta v still selling, fifa and cod being the most sold games every year, yet nothing we do will change anything.

We think exclusives - especially from one platform - are the most valuable and best selling games, yet it's nornies who decides to play fifa and cod on their console and doesn't give a shit about anything but fortnite.
Spot on.

Makes the news about Elden Ring selling more than COD even more crazy. Who knows, maybe normies start getting some taste and start trying things outside of COD, GTA and FIFA.

Last edited:
Well, GTA V sold 165 million so far. 10 million is way more than it deserved, but who knows how much it would have sold had it been good.

People complain about anything, not saying that it is wrong, the game was a mess, issues, lack of things, bugs and much more. People still will purchase it for nostalgia, as they had hope for a good 3 games, sadly it turned out as we expected a "cash grab" and it worked.

I still have my original PS2 trilogy, so I am good.

Meme Reaction GIF by Travis

Last edited:

And then Elden Ring happens. Our demographic is still growing.

And exclusives DO sell. Go look how many Nintendo first-party Switch games are past the 10 million mark.

Of course, I realize you're trolling PlayStation, not Nintendo. So here are the best selling PS4 games.

Last edited:
I wanted to buy a used copy. But there is no upgrade option and you are stuck with the last gen versions. So fuck them I'm not even buying a used copy.

kiphalfton

Well, GTA V sold 165 million so far. 10 million is way more than it deserved, but who knows how much it would have sold had it been good.

There a a bunch of different sources saying GTA V cost between $240 million and $400 million, and sold between 150 million to 160 million copies and made between $6 billion to $6.4 billion is profit.

Scenario 1: Assuming it cost $240 million to make a GOOD port and market it, and the average price to sell was $40/copy, they would have had to sell 6 million copies to break even.

Scenario 2: But let’s assume it only cost them $80 million to make and market the TURD we got instead and the average going price is still $40/copy. They would have had to only sell 2 million copies and break even.

So we know one way or another, since scenario 2 is “worst case scenario”, they would have sold 10 million copies no matter what (whether they tried or didn’t try). So to get to that 10 million number, in scenario 1 they would have sold an additional 4 million copies (on top of the 6 million copies to break even) and in scenario 2 they would have to sell an additional 8 million copies (on top of the 2 million copies to break even). Meaning in scenario 1 they would have had to have sold 14 million copies to be in the exact same spot as selling 10 million copies as is the case in scenario 2, or they wouldn’t have made as much profit otherwise.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Anyone I know who bought enjoyed it. I know I would have but I recently platinumed GTA 3 and VC original versios so no interest unless they sell SA separately.

I don't care if a bunch of other people buy it. It's their money to spend.

I'm not buying that shit and that's the only thing that affects me in any way.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
They are all time classic games. They’re classic games in the hands of a billionaire CEO who doesn’t even play video games. On top of that, we are surrounded by people who want to relive these games and most of them don’t even know any better. It’s an upgraded classic game for their current console regardless of its faults. I even wanted to relive these games before I noticed the poorly added additions. I bought it and I also owned them back on launch, their digital releases on PC, PS4/5, and iOS. We could call their efforts in remastering this trilogy poor. Modders have done better work for many years now.

For the most part. These games have had such a big impact on the industry and people don’t have to put much effort into enjoying them either. Either way, this trilogy has made Rockstar rich. I just hope they can keep it up.

GTA prints money. Look at the subscription service you can get on PSN now for GTA.

kingfey

Banned
Did Jack Thompson get his licence back?
In a nutshell, Thompson asserts that Nikolas Cruz's Halo habit played a significant role in the Parkland shooting. He seeks to assist the defense team in order to spare Cruz from the death penalty.

Guy went on halo fast. Suffice to say, his gta license is out of his reach now.

AX8

Banned
People still buy whatever Bethesda shits out so.... can't wait for the disaster that is gonna be Starfield
Too bad they delayed it now I just have to hold off on the popcorn.

Mokus

Although disappointing upgrade after what was "promised" two years ago, the 60 fps upgrade in a third person action game for my favorite game on PS3, for me is hard not to buy it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
What effort against these companies? Seems like all people want these days is remasters of old games they've already played. Enhanced GTA V is exactly what the people wanted.

I don't care if a bunch of other people buy it. It's their money to spend.

I'm not buying that shit and that's the only thing that affects me in any way.
It depends. I think it affects us all and not in a good way. Whatever the mainstream buys in droves or accepts(microtransactions, DLC, GAAS, etc.) will determine what type of direction or games most companies will lean towards and create. There’s a reason why live service/online only games are really taking off, 3D fighting games are basically dead and side scrolling beat em ups are extremely niche or even dead.

People buy Pokemon in the millions still more regularly than this,thats the real shocking shit for me.
Understandable, but at least they come out with new Pokémon games every now and then. Having the same GTA5 for 3 generations in a row with barely any improvements and it’s still selling well is absolutely preposterous to me.

Last edited:

Filben

Also bought it, then refunded it after they locked the access and I couldn't play the game. Was for the better, as shit as this remaster was and still is.

But yeah, as long as they make millions with it nothing will change. They just keep calculating the costs and quantity the PR damage, put that against the income and see they still make huge numbers in profit, even if they have to pay a whole department dealing with refunds and giving support and the like. They create whole new jobs and new "eco system" because of this and still make profit. It's just math for them.

Pejo

This is why the famous "vote with your wallet" thing doesn't work. If only I could vote with all of the smoothbrains that support this shit's wallets.

GTA’s remaster trilogy has ‘significantly exceeded expectations’ with up to 10m sales​

If you think we have a big impact in gaming world, then that is how much our impact is worth. We can never fight against these normies, who out numbers us.

Half of gaf preordered and bragged about it. I can even tell you names. Not much we can do when these dumbasses exist. Also I blame streamers and youtubers for playing this shit and marketing it. Most ppl bought it for the memes and stuff. Some of the top streamers are a cancer to this medium.

Majormaxxx

There a a bunch of different sources saying GTA V cost between $240 million and $400 million, and sold between 150 million to 160 million copies and made between $6 billion to $6.4 billion is profit.

Scenario 1: Assuming it cost $240 million to make a GOOD port and market it, and the average price to sell was $40/copy, they would have had to sell 6 million copies to break even.

Scenario 2: But let’s assume it only cost them $80 million to make and market the TURD we got instead and the average going price is still $40/copy. They would have had to only sell 2 million copies and break even.

So we know one way or another, since scenario 2 is “worst case scenario”, they would have sold 10 million copies no matter what (whether they tried or didn’t try). So to get to that 10 million number, in scenario 1 they would have sold an additional 4 million copies (on top of the 6 million copies to break even) and in scenario 2 they would have to sell an additional 8 million copies (on top of the 2 million copies to break even). Meaning in scenario 1 they would have had to have sold 14 million copies to be in the exact same spot as selling 10 million copies as is the case in scenario 2, or they wouldn’t have made as much profit otherwise.
The gta de team is like 20 people. 20 * 150000 (per year) * let's say 4 years = 12million

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
we might complain about it here online but 10 million people were more than happy to buy it!

a business is going to do whatever they can to make $. the people to blame are the ones who bought it. they are basically saying we are fine with this. if enough people were not happy with these practices then it wouldn't be happening.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I bought it because I was duped by deceptive marketing and didn't do any research, thinking that a remaster of classic GTA games can't possibly be shit.

Top Bottom