• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rent a Hero is now in English on Dreamcast and it's legit amazing and weird!

VGEsoterica

Rent a Hero has been up there with SEGAGAGA as far as Dreamcast games fans just 100% want to play in English but considering they never got released outside of Japan that dream was out of reach for basically everyone for the longest time...until now as Rent a Hero No. 1 has been fully translated by fans and released for everyone to enjoy!

And enjoy it you will as this is classic Dreamcast era Sega weirdness! It's a mix of Shenmue and a 3D beat em up and uses the same engine from SpikeOut and SlashOut, Sega's arcade exclusive beat em ups on Model 3 and Sega NAOMI. Sega just decided to wrap an action RPG around that engine and then tell a story that is 10/10 absurd in all the best ways. Think Seaman levels of weird except without Leonard Nimoy.

but I absolutely love fans for translating this as its one of the last big holdout games Sega developed for DC that english audiences have never been able to enjoy. 23 years later and we have a new Dreamcast game.

But that got me thinking GAF...whats the one game you desperately want in English? Because the list of untranslated games is still ten miles long

Awesome. Sadly, I do not believe the original Genesis game was ever fully translated.

I am, however, pretty excited about the work being done on Yakuza: Black Panther 2! I also celebrated Metal Gear 2 and Trials of Mana getting official translations.

Last edited:

_Ex_

I'm glad to see this one in English, as the Dreamcast version is much better than the Mega Drive original. But personally my #1 most wanted DC English fan translation is:

13678_front.jpg
13678_back.jpg

Pretty lame the ROMhacking scene still hasn't translated that one yet.

Edit:

But my personally most wanted translations? Top 5:

310079_front.jpg

Happy Salvage - PS1

40475_front.jpg

Ningyo no Rakuin - PS1

54346_front.jpg

Hungry Ghosts - PS2

63455_front.jpg
76854_front.jpg

King's Field Additional I & II - PSP

I'd piss myself with joy to play these in English.

Last edited:

DryvBy

I'm glad to see this one in English, as the Dreamcast version is much better than the Mega Drive original. But personally my #1 most wanted DC English fan translation is:

13678_front.jpg
13678_back.jpg

Pretty lame the ROMhacking scene still hasn't translated that one yet.

Edit:

But my personally most wanted translations? Top 5:

310079_front.jpg

Happy Salvage - PS1

40475_front.jpg

Ningyo no Rakuin - PS1

54346_front.jpg

Hungry Ghosts - PS2

63455_front.jpg
76854_front.jpg

I'd piss myself with joy to play these in English.
Just get an AI to do it for you.

_Ex_

We all wish it was though lol

The closest thing to this, is using the Google Translate app on your smartphone, having it translate Japanese text to English text, via viewing your game screen with the smartphone's camera, and displaying the translation overlaid on the smartphone's screen. It works as a rough approximation of a translation, but it's hardly ideal.

Gp1

Every now and then i learn of some awesome PSP game that never received a translation.

My personal favorites (at least they have some sort of fan translation in works)

Both are criminally underrated even for PSP standards

Last edited:
Very surprised this got an English translation, but will definitely play through it when I have the time. Agreed with everyone saying SEGAGA needs a translation; crazy meta stuff in there.

Far as most-wanted translations, I'm still hoping the PS1 version of Kowloon's Gate gets an English translation; there's a specific translator who had it lined up as one of their projects (I think the same one who did the Planet Laika translation), but I don't know where the status is currently. Virus on the Saturn is another one I'd like to see get an English translation, and there's quite a few obscure adventure games that would be cool with English translations too.

Maybe the Crime Crackers games for curiosity, same with Team Innocent on PC-FX. Paracelsus no Maken as well on PC-98, the Record of Lodoss War games on PC Engine, the Slayers games on PS1 (was there one on the Saturn?), Shinkai Densetsu Mermanoid on PS1 (mainly for the curiosity), 3x3 Eyes on Sega CD...

...there are probably a few others.

Puscifer

It's late but I wanna say thanks for legit showing interest in this hobby. Hardcore gaming forums tend to have a lot "hot takes" and takedowns of games but I really appreciate the genuine enthusiasm in post like yours and Danjin44, I'll catch it in the AM!

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

Very surprised this got an English translation, but will definitely play through it when I have the time. Agreed with everyone saying SEGAGA needs a translation; crazy meta stuff in there.

Far as most-wanted translations, I'm still hoping the PS1 version of Kowloon's Gate gets an English translation; there's a specific translator who had it lined up as one of their projects (I think the same one who did the Planet Laika translation), but I don't know where the status is currently. Virus on the Saturn is another one I'd like to see get an English translation, and there's quite a few obscure adventure games that would be cool with English translations too.

Maybe the Crime Crackers games for curiosity, same with Team Innocent on PC-FX. Paracelsus no Maken as well on PC-98, the Record of Lodoss War games on PC Engine, the Slayers games on PS1 (was there one on the Saturn?), Shinkai Densetsu Mermanoid on PS1 (mainly for the curiosity), 3x3 Eyes on Sega CD...

...there are probably a few others.
First person I’ve seen mention Team Innocent online outside of me. Kudos for that! Love the game and it’s on my shelf

dave_d

Just curious how hard is to patch a dreamcast game. I mean I think I have it so I guess I'd have to see if my blu-ray drive can read the game. (Guess I should see a youtube video about ripping dreamcast disks.

Top Bottom