• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick knew of sexual harassment claims and protected the accused (Employees walking out)

ManaByte

Gold Member

Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick knew of sexual harassment claims, including allegations of rape, and worked to keep the situations quiet, the Wall Street Journalreports. According to the report, Kotick did not inform the Activision Blizzard board of directors of multiple instances where employees accused workplae superiors of sexual harassment. One of the accused is Dan Bunting, co-studio head of Treyarch, who Wall Street Journal reports has now left the company.

Hbo Thumbs Up GIF by SuccessionHBO

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Even if he loses his job he'll still be worth 8 billion dollars. He'll be fine either way.

Maybe they could fill the position with another duo, like Blizzard tried to do.
Unless the board decides to do a massive claw back on his bonuses and/or compensation which I could see them doing if his actions are as egregious as these reports are claiming.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Hang on, scratch the surface of this and it seems, well...

I can't see the WSJ piece but looking at the Windows Central piece and what you get is:

Former Blizzard co-lead Jen Oneal, who left the company months after being promoted, was reportedly paid less than her male coworkers even after being promoted. Oneal claims to have been sexually harassed during her time at Blizzard, while also recounting a story in which a party held at an Activision studio, attended by Kotick, featured women dancing on stripper poles, while other women at the party were encouraged to drink more. Oneal also reportedly sent an email to Activision legal, expressing a lack of faith in the company.

So I had a quick look to see who Jen Oneal is and I got this article .

So, the male co-workers she she claims to be paid less than appear to be a total of 1 co-worker: Mike Ybarra, like the head of Blizzard and formerly CTO of Blizzard.

Not to dismiss all her claims, but its kinda funny to me that this oppressed, marginalized individual wasn't some mid-level staffer, but at the absolute top of the management hierarachy!

Fools idol

Banned
I met him at several trade shows over the years and have to be honest he was always really creepy around the women at the stands. I know it's cliche to say it but I am not surprised honestly.

Holammer

I don't care what he knew or not. But the fact that employees walk out and protest is fucking baffling to me.
In Sweden we have doctrine called 'lojalitetsplikt' (lit. "loyalty duty"). What it does is self explanatory; keep company secrets, don't besmirch your employer publicly etc.
I would fire anyone walking out on pure principle, even if I agree with them.

Last edited:

CGiRanger

Banned

I can't see the WSJ piece but looking at the Windows Central piece and what you get is:

So, the male co-workers she she claims to be paid less than appear to be a total of 1 co-worker: Mike Ybarra, like the head of Blizzard and formerly CTO of Blizzard.

Not to dismiss all her claims, but its kinda funny to me that this oppressed, marginalized individual wasn't some mid-level staffer, but at the absolute top of the management hierarachy!
Honestly I'm jaded so I feel that what's happening at Activision now is all power play politics.

On the one hand you've got the corporate greed of Kotick and the leadership, and on the other are the woke employees. Whoever wins, the customers will lose.

laynelane

He's always come across as such a scumbag so this isn't surprising. I wonder if there will be any consequences for him whatsoever.

manfestival

Imagine the severance package that they would have to pay if they decided to let go of Bobby. I wonder how many millions he would receive.

The two of them were appointed as co-heads of Blizzard after shit went down the first time. Of course she should have been paid the same as the other, male co-head by a company who is literally trying their hardest to make some progressive moves in a desperate attempt to remedy their shitty culture.

I don't care what he knew or not. But the fact that employees walk out and protest is fucking baffling to me.
In Sweden we have doctrine called 'lojalitetsplikt' (lit. "loyalty duty"). What it does is self explanatory; keep company secrets, don't besmirch your employer publicly etc.
Jesus Christ. God forbid workers demand being treated humanely.

[Sigma]

Of course he did, this was obviously to me from the get go. You don't run that ship that long with an iron fist and not know.

We're not in the 1960s anymore buddy, sorry.

elliot5

Talk about being a wage cuck

lol I swear i laugh every time I see employees walk out. It's become so common now they do it on a random Tuesday.

Go back to fucking work. Stop trying to get your bosses fired. Be happy you have a job during a pandemic when so many lost theirs.

An entire generation of drama queens.
Ah yes, just be grateful that your boss covered up some of your colleagues being sexually harassed and raped, because you know, so lucky to be paid to work there. Jesus Christ, this is not a case of 'drama queens' or people getting offended easily, this is really serious shit.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Ah yes, just be grateful that your boss covered up some of your colleagues being sexually harassed and raped, because you know, so lucky to be paid to work there. Jesus Christ, this is not a case of 'drama queens' or people getting offended easily, this is really serious shit.
Of course its serious, but whats up with the walking out all the time? Just do your job and if the guy did something illegal then hes gonna get fired or arrested or whatever. You stick to doing your job and focus on shipping games without bugs every year.

This whole WE DEMAND JUSTICE mentality is ridiculous. You are an employee of that firm. Do your fucking job. Imagine if everyone in the U.S federal govt started walking out because Trump and Biden were both accused of sexual harassment. No TSA. No police. No miltary. No teachers. When everyone starts walking out then nothing gets done.

So true... These employees need to realise their bodies belong to the company. Whether that means working without safety gear to save the boss a buck or the odd bit of rapery for office girls.

Sack any fucker who walks out on principle.

Disloyal swines!

... this shit attitude is why everyone needs to join a trade union.

Last edited:

tkscz

I don't know why anyone would be surprised the board is fine with this. Kotick is a shit human being but dude brought Activision up from bankruptcy to being the most profitable video game company in the world. He gets the board paid something fierce. If firing hundreds of employees after MAKING billions didn't bother them, nothing will.

Kotick is business, that's it. Gives no shit about employees, costumers or anything. He's there to make money and the board is all for that.

NickFire

Why don't they quit if they believe these allegations? I can't imagine staying at a company if I thought it actually condoned what you say was covered up. Anything less begs the question of are they sincere in their beliefs or looking for attention in my humble opinion.

MikeM

One of the few occurrences where I hope government officials jump in and make an example out of them.

Edit: Nvm. I see the SEC is looking into this.

Last edited:
Why don't they quit if they believe these allegations? I can't imagine staying at a company if I thought it actually condoned what you say was covered up. Anything less begs the question of are they sincere in their beliefs or looking for attention in my humble opinion.
You realise many working class people don't have the luxury of just leaving their kids without food on the table at a moment's notice, right? They may not have the buffer to go a month without their job. At the same time, they likely have friends who were personally impacted by these disgusting acts and want to prevent it happening to anyone else. It's not attention seeking ffs. They don't want to just ignore it and pass the buck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom