• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick knew of sexual harassment claims and protected the accused (Employees walking out)

Thanati

I don't care what he knew or not. But the fact that employees walk out and protest is fucking baffling to me.
In Sweden we have doctrine called 'lojalitetsplikt' (lit. "loyalty duty"). What it does is self explanatory; keep company secrets, don't besmirch your employer publicly etc.
I would fire anyone walking out on pure principle, even if I agree with them.
You think companies actually care about you? If they want you gone, they’ll fire your ass without hesitation.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Do you even read over what you write before posting? Do you even know why people are standing up for their rights? Do you even know about the girl who committed suicide because of the harassment?

I’d say probably not to any of them.

Let me guess, you’re a white male with a decent amount of money.
lol Wrong on every single count.

I made the thread on the original story she made a point to mention the woman who committed suicide in the OP.

Just because I don’t agree with everyone walking out doesn’t mean I condone sexual harassment. Get a grip.

Hargate

Is this some kind of parody repies or something what the ever living fuck is wrong with the people in the tread defending him or shitting on the people walking out in protest. Are you all even humans anymore or just scum at this point.

Bragr

Banned
I would say where there is smoke there is fire, but the place is already on fire. Absolute best case scenario is that all high level executives linked to this should be fired over incompetence. Would be crazy that they are so bad at managing, that the state of California would sue them over "just allegations."
There are 3282908025 million allegations in workplaces every month. It sounds bad, but this is nowhere near enough to judge anyone yet. In the current climate, people go after misconduct with a bazooka.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
There are 3282908025 million allegations in workplaces every month. It sounds bad, but this is nowhere near enough to judge anyone yet. In the current climate, people go after misconduct with a bazooka.
Agreed.

At my workplace some woman on the firing line played the sexual abuse card on someone before she was about to get canned. When that happens you cant fire them. It went to an investigation and low and behold look at that. A slew of people over months got interviewed internally and turns out she lied. The guy who got accused kept his job as normal, but that shit show chick pissed off many people over a bogus lie.

After it was all done she was finally fired.

People jumping the gun on every accusation, allegation and finger pointing should chill out and wait for results. Just because someone accuses, doesn't mean they are right.

The incident above was years and years ago. If that was modern day Twitter queens, they'd jump on the bandwagon and assume she was right.

But what happens when they are wrong, notice how they all shut their mouths and never bring it up again.

Hargate

Guys he left a voice mail on an employees voicemail that he would have her killed. Yeah im sure in sweden you help your company cover up murder all the time. Yeah im sure we should walk out when our boss TRIES TO HAVE US KILLED. HELLO PEOPLE.

Bragr

Banned
Imagine if resetera wrote a report on neogaf. Just imagine all shit they could label as something terrible, it would be a 6000 page report about how we are transphobic and racist.

The people who wrote this are the same sort of people like resetera. They are like kotaku. The journalists who wrote this are mental and woke in ways you cant even imagine. Thats not saying they are wrong, but we need more than allegations.

There is so much talk now that something seems to be very wrong at activision/blizzard, but wait until the courts get a hold on this, because the people who wrote this would crucify half this forum if they could too.

Bragr

Banned
Guys he left a voice mail on an employees voicemail that he would have her killed. Yeah im sure in sweden you help your company cover up murder all the time. Yeah im sure we should walk out when our boss TRIES TO HAVE US KILLED. HELLO PEOPLE.
What did the message say?

Hargate

What did the message say?
9l34ysx.gif

Thanati

I made the thread on the original story she made a point to mention the woman who committed suicide in the OP.

Just because I don’t agree with everyone walking out doesn’t mean I condone sexual harassment. Get a grip.
I apologize if I was wrong. Your post did come across as simply someone who didn’t care.

As I said, I apologize if I got it wrong.

I apologize if I was wrong. Your post did come across as simply someone who didn’t care.

As I said, I apologize if I got it wrong.

Bragr

Banned
You realise many working class people don't have the luxury of just leaving their kids without food on the table at a moment's notice, right? They may not have the buffer to go a month without their job. At the same time, they likely have friends who were personally impacted by these disgusting acts and want to prevent it happening to anyone else. It's not attention seeking ffs. They don't want to just ignore it and pass the buck.
How can you possibly know this. They have kids, friends who are impacted and they stay to fight the fight?

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Look there is only one way someone of corrupt power leaves the centerstage. You stop their flow of money. The hard part is getting consumers to agree or even be aware. And we all know the legal system is a stinking pile of garbage, so they won't enact justice in full totality (esp where money is involved)

I think there are a select few who even think there can't be another Blizzard or Activision of yore, but there can. You just have to let the cycle of death and rebirth happen. It's how this whole universe works lol.

And yea, this is 'just a gamer forum,' but these principles apply in all aspects of business and life.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Meanwhile, Bobby is at home reflecting with family and friends.

yacht GIF by Lil Dicky

Last edited:
Of course its serious, but whats up with the walking out all the time? Just do your job and if the guy did something illegal then hes gonna get fired or arrested or whatever. You stick to doing your job and focus on shipping games without bugs every year.

This whole WE DEMAND JUSTICE mentality is ridiculous. You are an employee of that firm. Do your fucking job. Imagine if everyone in the U.S federal govt started walking out because Trump and Biden were both accused of sexual harassment. No TSA. No police. No miltary. No teachers. When everyone starts walking out then nothing gets done.

Get back to work before you get inspired and demand some justice at McDonalds 🤔

The fact people are going this hard for Bobby Kotick. Shits hilarious

Last edited:

BigBooper

As always, we don't have enough info but kneejerk hot takes abound.

I wouldn't mind if they got rid of him and shook up the board though.

I am stupid and disgusting because I don't see a moral high ground by protesting while still taking money from a company that allegedly covers up rapes???????????????

:messenger_tears_of_joy:
It will be to drum up media attention so the company can’t let it all just blow over. Also, I’m not saying you’re stupid but I don’t see why protesting this way whilst getting paid is so awful, it’s not like Activision aren’t good for it.

Also, what negative impact does that have on you? Rape is obviously very serious and if it takes a walkout and some more media attention to push Kottick out and potentially stop something like this happening again, it’s absolutely worth doing.

K2D

Banned
This is like game of thrones - as long as capitalism is allowed to run unchecked and unbalanced, the wheel will turn and stock holders will be reinstating ceo's that value profit and bottom lines over morals and human/ecological values.

The fact alone that he's making more money every year than I'll make in a life time makes me want to watch him burn on trial.

Last edited:

BigBooper

This is like game of thrones - as long as capitalism is allowed to run unchecked and unbalanced, the wheel will turn and stock holders will be reinstating ceo's that value profit and bottom lines over morals and human/ecological values.

The fact alone that he's making more money every year than I'll make in a life time makes me want to watch him burn on trial.
Right, because communists have a great history of valuing human life.

I don't care what he knew or not. But the fact that employees walk out and protest is fucking baffling to me.
In Sweden we have doctrine called 'lojalitetsplikt' (lit. "loyalty duty"). What it does is self explanatory; keep company secrets, don't besmirch your employer publicly etc.
Ah yes, blind, unthinking loyalty, completely lack of questioning authority, no matter what is going on. Agreeing with people's values and the harm that has come to them, but firing them anyway to protect a fucking company. That sounds very smart and cool.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

Dude, that is really unhealthy thinking. Like, wow.

K2D

Banned
Right, because communists have a great history of valuing human life.
Regulated capitalism is still capitalism, what are you on about??

You think it's Fair and Just when Big Corp rolled in and put mom and pop shops out of business while treating their employees like chinese sweatshop workers until they can switch em out with actual robots?

Sure. Point me in the direction of your so called help.

You two idolize big-wigs for hoarding money in ways that promote trashing everything that was good with the gaming industry.

Reactions: Fuz

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The fact people are going this hard for Bobby Kotick. Shits hilarious

Sometimes if you stand on principle you can find yourself defending people who you don't like. This is fine because in the end its not about them, its about dubious claims and tactics being accepted without hesitation or scrutiny.

And how if it you let it stand, the question becomes who will end up in the crosshairs next.

Some of the responses here are embarrassing. Just disgusting.
Yeah, they are at times.

But I rather have a combination of good and terrible opinions than an echo chamber where we all agree with one another and high five each other for thinking the same thing.

At least this way we can have some discourse on the matter.

JackSparr0w

Banned
Protecting his employees and letting the legal system handle it is what every good boss should do. Bobby is alright in my book and of course one of the most successful CEOs ever.

Would love to read his book one day if he decided to write one.

Last edited:
Anyone know how many employees actually walked out? and if so how high up the chain did that go? A lot of things like this tend to be lower level people, I'm not saying they are wrong to do it but it's just jus a bunch of QA people who aren't even directly employed by Activision I don't see that doing much. I worked there for a few days a long time ago, all of the testers worked for a staffing agency.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Amazing how trash that guy is.

Sorry, but when he opens with a metaphor about Bobby Kotick being the "end boss, while people are still clearing trash mobs and mini-bosses" its impossible to take his commentary seriously.

I find it offensive, and truthfully pathetic, to trivialize these allegations by framing them in this way. This is serious and seriously complicated stuff.

In 2018 ABK employed nearly 10,000 people. A CEO of a company that size doesn't have the time to personally involve himself in claims like these. He pays his HR and legal teams to do that on the companies behalf because that's their specific role and purpose.

The "rape" allegation must either fall into either or both of those domains, and as CEO Kotick's only responsibility is to ensure that the situation is handled by whatever means necessary. Its messy because its likely to be a "he said, she said" kinda deal when one party claims that the intercourse only occurred after they were plied with drink, as opposed to being dragged into a back alley, beaten and violated.

Of course in todays climate of faux-moral outrage and political correctness the actual LEGAL distinctions between the two situations are blurred to the point of interchangeability in the media. The "believe victims" line is all well and good except you can't fire an employee just because of an unsubstantiated (in a court of law) claim, without that opening the door for them to counter-sue for unfair dismissal.

So inevitably it ends up with one party being paid off to go away quietly, because litigating it gets messy and ugly from a PR standpoint, as well as a seriously unpleasant extended ordeal for accuser and accused alike. Due process is not fun, which is why a lot of rapes go unreported, especially as the adjudicated outcome is rarely certain to land in either sides favour.

This is just scratching the surface of the complexity too.

Bottom line, (to Asmongold) applying video-game style formal causality is retarded. Reality is not a fucking cartoon. Deal with the complexity seriously or STFU. Because its not helping ANYONE and you're just exploiting this for clicks.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
People in this thread: Read the report, get into an outrage, type a lot of angry comments, go back to playing COD.

Ain't that the fucking truth.

All of this outrage over Activision (and all of the equally horrible shit over at Ubisoft) and yet every cunt moaning on social media and forums will still be going out and buying their fucking games.

Last edited:
I don't know why anyone would be surprised the board is fine with this. Kotick is a shit human being but dude brought Activision up from bankruptcy to being the most profitable video game company in the world. He gets the board paid something fierce. If firing hundreds of employees after MAKING billions didn't bother them, nothing will.

Kotick is business, that's it. Gives no shit about employees, costumers or anything. He's there to make money and the board is all for that.

to-capitalism-metal.gif

Top Bottom