• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Apple's imminent $3,000 Reality Pro VR headset [may] create surge in industry demand

https://www.imore.com/gaming/virtua...vr-headset-to-create-surge-in-industry-demand
Despite reports this week that Apple's Reality Pro VR headset may be delayed until June and WWDC, a new report claims industry suppliers are gearing up for a surge in demand created by new products including Apple's first foray into wearable reality for your face.
A paywalled Ditigmes report today states that "optical component and module suppliers are gearing up for a surge in demand from a slew of new extended reality (XR) devices."
The report also cites industry sources reiterating that Apple will unveil its headset "later this year."

Apple VR Reality Pro launch​

This fresh report lines up with recent news that Apple may have delayed its headset launch. According to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman earlier this week, Apple may launch the headset in June at WWDC rather than at an event in April, as per its most recent leaked plans. While announcing the headset at WWDC actually makes rather a lot of sense, it does mean we'll have to wait a few short weeks more to get eyes-on.

Apple's virtual reality headset will reportedly be dubbed "Reality Pro" and could feature an eye-watering price tag of up to $3,000. Reports also indicate it will have two 4K displays, one for each eye, as well as provisions for wearers of prescription glasses. Other rumored features include a lightweight design of aluminum and glass, as well as a Digital Crown, a feature currently use in AirPods Max and all of the best Apple Watch models.

This report does seem to point to a "slew" of new extended reality devices, suggesting Apple VR may not be the sole contender for your hard-earned cash when it launches later this year.
I put the {may} there in the title because it's not a guarantee, and the article said [to] as if it was.

So a new report from manufacturers who supply components as well as other sources from Digitimes china, suggests that there's an expectation for a surge of interest in VR headsets expected once Apple AND other manufacturers unveil their headsets later this year. I am assuming that TCL and Samsung are likely referenced (indirectly) in that report since they are surely using Chinese suppliers for their headsets and for manufacturing, and have announced they have been working on their own VR headsets. I also expect Quest 3 to also be involved in this list in some form.

With that said, the report seems to only directly name drop Apple, putting emphasis on that fact it will be releasing a VR headset later this year. This does give a hint that people are expecting a surge of VR demand primarily based on the Apple VR headset even if it's not the only one as the article title may mislead you into believing.

This lines up with the Morning Consult report, where data showed that Samsung and Apple were near the top of the list for what companies people were most interested to purchase VR headsets from, despite both having as of yet, not shown any headset, not even prototypes, so that's pretty telling. I can definitely see a surge of demand and interest when both showcase their units, with (hopefully) decent demos that will impress fence sitters.

Now that Tencent has recently pulled out the market due to profitability challenges, Pico is laying people off and cutting back after their failed attempt to compete with Quest, and DPLR has yet to announce the pro headset they said they would reveal after their entry-level flopped, that leaves only TCL, Apple, Samsung, Quest 3, and some smaller guys for releases the rest of the year.

Apple, Samsung, and TCL specifically, are taking new approaches to VR that may shake-up the market.

• Apple will make you the controller, probably will still support controllers but will push motion, has rings to put on your finger for precisions, gaze controls (not FR), and stylus motion controls along with several other strange innovations with an external battery pack, and advanced facial controls, and more we don't know about yet.
  • Samsung is partnering with Google and Qualcomm for a powerful, "thinking out the box" experience, which we won't get to see until they decide to show it.
  • TCL is creating it's own software ecosystem to facilitate ambition and creativity, they will add unique features to their headset, powerful but at a "relatively" affordable price, and want to push their ecosystem and tools to DIRECLTY address the software issues in the VR market, hoping it will allow them to access to improved software that will be more interesting to consumers. Whether this will work or not we will see.

Indeed these are all aiming to be different while addressing problems the general consumer have with VR in general, so may increase demand in VR creating a "surge" as the article says just with these expectations, even if all 3 end up being temporary fads, just the fact they will be different from the traditional VR will probably create a "surge" as they say.

I don't expect the Quest 3 to do much wildly different other than be an improvement over Quest 2 with some nice features, like Sony with PSVR2 from PSVR1.

The only wild card here is Bigscreen, which is working on their small (very small) 5K VR headset that's closer to a slim set of goggles. Not sure what their marketing plan is and how competitive they will try to be, that's one of the smaller names that may end up being a surprise, who knows.

With that said, in regards to Apple, I'm curious to see the prices of Samsung and TCL's headset. Bigscreen is $999 for their base model. Apple is rumored to be around $3000, if Samsung and TCL end up as good and feature list as people expect, and they end up costing a lot, then they may end up raising the cost to entry to VR, especially if they generate more excitement than the Quest 3.

I do feel that's a potential problem in the future. Raising the barrier to entry might make margins better but that's going to devastate the potential of the market in terms of units in peoples homes. Unless of course, Apple and Samsung subsidize their VR headsets at retailers and carriers, and other expensive VR headsets follow suit with a upgrade plan.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

Fbh

"Hey long time no see, what are you doing around these parts?"
"Oh I just came from the bank, was singing a loan"
"Oh cool are you buying a house? a car? starting a new business?"
"nah, just got my family some Apple VR headsets"

but what is their play.

i mean...i dont think is gaming. i guess/bet it will be productivity...but.....i dunno....they have to show some kind of mind-blowing shit

YukiOnna

It's Mixed Reality and of course it will... it's Apple, not Meta. Them getting into the industry will bring in a lot of other companies to go in, as well.
Though this 1st generation device will be quickly replaced by the more consumer viable one that doesn't come with all the issues its faced.

Buggy Loop

No chance

Yes there will be a surge because there’s many headsets coming, but Quest 3 will take the majority of the cake. There’s no competing on price.

3k?

sensible chuckle GIF

Kilau

Very interested in what Apple is bringing out but not touching it at that price. Couple generations down the line if it makes it that far.

Crayon

I hope so. People don't have to afford it to want it.

Here's how it really goes, though.

If apple can introduce this with some amazing killer app, people will not just want it but see this new potential of vr.

If other manufacturers can sopy such an app, it will be available to all sorts of people who can afford a $600 set instead of a $2000+ one. Then this thing is causing a surge in demand.

DavidGzz

They'll probably have you make payments similar to a $1400 cell phone if you agree to pay for Apple Arcade for 2 years or something.

TonyK

I'm curious if Steve Jobs was alive would have been greenlighted that 3.000€ VR headset. We never will know.

This is aimed for professionals, not for people crying about 3K.

It’s not for Minecraft VR.

Apple in other thread literally said they are targeting consumers.

I hope so. People don't have to afford it to want it.

Here's how it really goes, though.

If apple can introduce this with some amazing killer app, people will not just want it but see this new potential of vr.

If other manufacturers can sopy such an app, it will be available to all sorts of people who can afford a $600 set instead of a $2000+ one. Then this thing is causing a surge in demand.

Going to be hard to do that since Apple is going for expensive kinect-style, pen-style, gaze-style, ring on finger-style controls that would make that hard. A VR headset that's cheaper would have to redesign a clone around controllers which may not give the same experience and will take a spec downgrade.

Apple got away with that with phones for 3 years before the competition was able to either clone at a cheaper price, or come up with an alternative that wasn't a clone.

This is where TCL comes in, they are in China, they sell great products at low prices because they are in a position to undercut everyone, they would be the ones and likely, the only ones with the money to undercut Apple at their own game, with a cheaper headset. Problem is brand name.

LordOfChaos

It's Apple. While they're not as much of a guaranteed hitmaker anymore, it would not surprise me one bit if even their 3000 dollar platform moves more units than most other individual headsets. The 14.8 Million Units of the Quest 2 is a harder goal but their next generation after this, for 1500 dollars, could well get there.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I am skeptical, but the fact is, Apple normalized the idea of mp3 players, phones, tablets, and smartwatches for normies in a way that nobody else did before. They also standardized the design and functionality of all those devices to the point where there is a clear before apple/after apple delineation in terms of those markets. So while $3000 for a Apple VR is insane, I won't say no about it changing the VR market just yet.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Tbh this $3k sounds like a rumour dangled out every so often to get people to talk about it and keep it in the public conscious, there's no way in hell Apple releases a consumer product at that price and expects it to be a success.. ffs get real people neither can I see them targeting the prosumer market either as the profits just aren't there for a company like Apple, they want a product priced to get into the hands of as many people as possible and $3k ain't it

I am skeptical, but the fact is, Apple normalized the idea of mp3 players,

MP3 players were all over the place, Apple just consolidated them (and oddly had among the simplest ways o getting music from your PC to the device despite how bad it used to be), but your point is correct.

They also standardized the design and functionality of all those devices to the point where there is a clear before apple/after apple delineation in terms of those markets. So while $3000 for a Apple VR is insane, I won't say no about it changing the VR market just yet.

When they give us some more visible teasers for what they are working on and what kind of software to expect, I think that's going to be when we will know for sure if that price is DOA or not. Of course, it could be cheaper than that price as well.

LordOfChaos

Tbh this $3k sounds like a rumour dangled out every so often to get people to talk about it and keep it in the public conscious, there's no way in hell Apple releases a consumer product at that price and expects it to be a success.. ffs get real people neither can I see them targeting the prosumer market either as the profits just aren't there for a company like Apple, they want a product priced to get into the hands of as many people as possible and $3k ain't it

That did happen famously with the iPad, the rumor was 1000 dollars and then they released it at 500, which sounded comparably way better

Well with the various thread about what Apple intended to do with the device, the features being worked on, the motion, pen, ring, stuff etc, it's definitely going to cost more than the upper-tier consumer VR headset which is what, $1600~? The Bigscreen VR headset is going to be $999 and I'm not sure how much they are going to produce for that, probably small amount gradually.

Apple VR will be producing a lot more headsets, so $3000 isn't that wild, though i wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being $2000, but those aren't wild prices. Especially if it's all in one and you don't have to buy separate parts of it.

Yeah, an industry demand for a major price drop if this is legitimate. I think there could be some truth to the price rumor. Didn’t Apple sell a stand for a computer monitor for $1,000? The people who say the PSVR2 is ridiculously priced might be eating their words if this is true. We’ll see.

Last edited:

Three

At $3K I don't think these will fly off the shelves but then again I don't want to be the next Steve Ballmer so who the hell knows.

Sorcerer

$3000 with the intention of updating with a new model probably every other year at least. Give me a Star Trek Holodeck for that price. LOL!!!

Last edited:

dorkimoe

billion dollar idea

apple puts concerts and live events in Vr exclusive to some Apple subscription. Sells their own vr.
vr MLB tv. Vr nfl live

Sorcerer

billion dollar idea

apple puts concerts and live events in Vr exclusive to some Apple subscription. Sells their own vr.
vr MLB tv. Vr nfl live
Are concerts and live events that much fun with a helmet/goggles around your head in isolation? Even with a just a TV you can have others around to enjoy the event with. The fun seems to be in the fact that they are social gatherings first and foremost. Just speculation I could be off base.

Last edited:

Crayon

billion dollar idea

vr MLB tv. Vr nfl live

It's gotta be something big. Social spaces at live events seems big. idk if that 's a good or bad idea but theyve got to have something that nobody else can do.

Apple in other thread literally said they are targeting consumers.

Going to be hard to do that since Apple is going for expensive kinect-style, pen-style, gaze-style, ring on finger-style controls that would make that hard. A VR headset that's cheaper would have to redesign a clone around controllers which may not give the same experience and will take a spec downgrade.

Apple got away with that with phones for 3 years before the competition was able to either clone at a cheaper price, or come up with an alternative that wasn't a clone.

This is where TCL comes in, they are in China, they sell great products at low prices because they are in a position to undercut everyone, they would be the ones and likely, the only ones with the money to undercut Apple at their own game, with a cheaper headset. Problem is brand name.

That's right, same timeline I had in mind. They could come out with something that will take others a few years to catch up to.

dorkimoe

Are concerts and live events that much fun with a helmet/goggles around your head in isolation? Even with a just a TV you can have others around to enjoy the event with. The fun seems to be in the fact that they are social gatherings first and foremost. Just speculation I could be off base.
Yes. I hate people so I think it would be pretty cool. I can’t stand being bumped when things get crowded

dorkimoe

It's gotta be something big. Social spaces at live events seems big. idk if that 's a good or bad idea but theyve got to have something that nobody else can do.

That's right, same timeline I had in mind. They could come out with something that will take others a few years to catch up to.
Agree. They can’t just make a headset with the App Store shovelwear. They’ve been trying to invest into showing more live sports

Top Bottom