• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Microsoft paid Big Cheese $600,000 to bring Cooking Simulator to Game Pass

This is the stuff nobody discusses - how much it’s costing Microsoft to put all of these games on Game Pass.

I like Game Pass but the overall costs must be astronomical. This is why Sony’s afraid to join Microsoft in the deep end.

Except how much is Sony paying developers to keep games OFF of game pass? In the race to the bottom MS is the winner. I think Sonys strategy is less sustainable, especially when they have more to lose in a spending war.

OP really poisoned the thread with some weird ass takes.

There's testimonials from some developers on how joining game pass voluntarily resulted in them getting more exposure and more sales. The only weird take is thinking MS has to pay every studio that puts a game on.

I'm surprised you guys think that's a lot for a game that may be on there 6 months to a year.

Well first off it's clearly illegal.

But seriously, this is a game that wouldn't be out of place on the Wii, the only reason I can think of $600,000 being spend is because they already sold 700,000 and MS is thinking maybe it has a european niche that could be incentivized to join gamepass considering it's a Polish dev.

If ll devs and Publishers know MS is just paying everyone or soon to be everyone to get on gamepass. Idk how this is sustainable lol.

Man that money could be going to some amazing triple A original game MS is weird.

Microsoft paid "Big Cheese" $600,000. The money itself is "Big Cheese" you see, slices of cheddar.

https://game-news24.com/2022/08/15/microsoft-paid-600000-to-bring-chef-simulator-to-game-pass/
200w.gif

After taxes? It would barely pay for a solo 3 years project, little to no profit.

This is hardly life changing...

I swear... you people have no idea how much money it takes to make a game, and how much money those games make outside of gamepass (hint: it's a lot more).
Well I was specifically talking about single-person developers, such as the people behind Tunic, Undertale, FNaF, etc. In the vast majority of this country a gross of 60k per year is a respectable income for an individual. Hell, the capital requirements for serious dev hardware are getting ready to plummet once MS releases its workstation streaming program.

My entire point was that for the extremely small team to solo dev market a cool half-million from MS for a few years of GP takes a lot of risk out of the equation, especially if it's your first game.

Griffon

60k per year is a respectable income for an individual
Are you fucking kidding me? An individual who has the talent and ability to make an entire game by himself (not to mention a GOOD ONE) is easily worth 300k per year in any studio setting, and can easily live that much more comfortably than that off his independent steam sales. We're not talking about shovelwares here (and I'm not talking ultra massive success outliers either).

And as per your own example, the people behind Undertale, FNaF, etc. those are multi-millionaires today.
60k per year from MS is an insult. MS is making out like bandits, siphoning money every months from millions of people and not having to give anything back to the actual creators.

Last edited:

onesvenus

"Join voluntarily"? Why would a developer who's not owned by Microsoft put their game on Game Pass unless they are being paid an agreed-upon lump sum up front? Beyond an older game that's been out for awhile and past it's sales cycle, I don't see what the benefit is unless you're being paid to put it on the service. Visibility can't be that big a reason without some money to back it up and justify it.

"Sure, Team Xbox, here's our game. Please put it on Game Pass. Don't worry about compensating us at all!"
What's the reason for F2P games?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I don't understand the overreaction here. I mean if gamepass has lets say 30 million subs at this point, and lets say 25 million are paying regular price, lets just say regular gamepass and not ultimate, that's still $25,000,000 per month in revenue or $300,000,000 per year. That means that this game represents an expenditure of 0.2% of annual revenue. Less if the deal is to keep it 2 or 3 years, it drops even more. Big deal. Unsustainable, LOL.

Last edited:

Lasha

You guys have to stop thinking in such small numbers. Take the middle of the claims and let's say Microsoft generates $2,000 million per year from subscriptions. The average AAA game costs around $100 million to make. Microsoft can pocket $1,000 million for profit leaving enough to fully fund 8-10 full fledged AAA titles per year.

In practice, Microsoft can develop some games and use the rest to license many more than 10 games since the cost of licensing should only be a percentage of development costs. $0.6 million is a miniscule price to pay for a game that may attract a new audience or keep an existing customer subscribed.

geary

You guys have to stop thinking in such small numbers. Take the middle of the claims and let's say Microsoft generates $2,000 million per year from subscriptions. The average AAA game costs around $100 million to make. Microsoft can pocket $1,000 million for profit leaving enough to fully fund 8-10 full fledged AAA titles per year.

Why do you guys always think that subscription is the only way of income for MS. You dont take into account, MTX and full sale of games...

Lasha

Why do you guys always think that subscription is the only way of income for MS. You dont take into account, MTX and full sale of games...

Why don't we talk about Azure or Office subscriptions when talking about Gamepass either? They are as relevant to a discussion on the economics of gamepass as MTX and retail sales. The model stands on its own without looking at other revenue streams.

geary

Why don't we talk about Azure or Office subscriptions when talking about Gamepass either? They are as relevant to a discussion on the economics of gamepass as MTX and retail sales. The model stands on its own without looking at other revenue streams.
That’s not how business work usually. Do you think a retail store has only articles which have super high margin?

Azure is actually a core part of the Gamepass strategy. I'd even argue Gamepass wouldn't be possible without Azure since otherwise cloud server costs would be too high to be worth it.

Lasha

That’s not how business work usually. Do you think a retail store has only articles which have super high margin?

Do you think that Microsoft works the same as a retail store? Explain the relevance of bought copies and MTX if the cost of developing first party games can be fully covered by half of Gamepass revenue.
Azure is actually a core part of the Gamepass strategy. I'd even argue Gamepass wouldn't be possible without Azure since otherwise cloud server costs would be too high to be worth it.

Azure is a seperate org within Microsoft. Azure charges Xbox an internal rate for usage at an internally agreed upon rate. The billing is transparent to external audits but it is used internally by Microsoft to understand the actual cost and profitability of Xbox. Azure is a key investment. AWS grew from Amazon selling the extra capacity from its existing operations. Microsoft definitely makes sure that its cloud capacity is being used wherever possible.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Not sustainable in what way, when they rake like 10x how much?18 mils GP subscription? 600k is like nothing.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Last edited:

Griffon

They are still crap games.

I’d love to see the play time/achievement lists of the people defending these games to see how much they’ve played 😂
Who cares? Those games sold extremely well and there's clearly an audience for it. It's obviously not you (nor me for that matter) but nobody cares about what you or I think.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

BV95XlB.png

I’d love to see the play time/achievement lists of the people defending these games to see how much they’ve played 😂

But I already pointed out to you that Cooking Simulator has more than double the follower count, estimated ownership and Concurrent daily players of two of the games you said you'd prefer - Kao The Kangaroo and Blue Fire.

You're pretty much grasping at straws at this point. 600k for this is a pretty good get.

Banjo64

cumsessed
But I already pointed out to you that Cooking Simulator has more than double the follower count, estimated ownership and Concurrent daily players of two of the games you said you'd prefer - Kao The Kangaroo and Blue Fire.

You're pretty much grasping at straws at this point. 600k for this is a pretty good get.
I thought I’d already answered that by saying I don’t care about popularity but would rather Game Pass was a vehicle for discovering quality games.

Ozriel

M$FT
I thought I’d already answered that by saying I don’t care about popularity but would rather Game Pass was a vehicle for discovering quality games.

And I thought it was fairly obvious that this many people still playing the game daily on Steam indicates it’s good?

You brought up Metacritic reviews (critic and user) to try to justify your viewpoint but somehow aren’t interested in seeing positive user metrics on Steam. Positive metrics that surpass some of the games you were touting.

I guess after ‘Microsoft overpaid’ got shredded as a viable talking point, the next attempt is to try to push the ‘shovelware’ angle.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
And I thought it was fairly obvious that this many people still playing the game daily on Steam indicates it’s good?
Not at all. Gears 5 has 100 players playing it right now on Steam, so is Gears 5 a pile of wank by your standards?

You brought up Metacritic reviews (critic and user) to try to justify your viewpoint but somehow aren’t interested in seeing positive user metrics on Steam. Positive metrics that surpass some of the games you were touting.
85% positive on a platform doesn’t mean much when meme shovelware on the same genre is higher.

I guess after ‘Microsoft overpaid’ got shredded as a viable talking point, the next attempt is to try to push the ‘shovelware’ angle.
What is it with you paid shills and your combative nature? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

BV95XlB.png

You didn't like goat simulator? It's pretty fucking hilarious. And it's exactly the kind of game I would never buy but will happily download and play if it's 'free' with my subscription.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Not at all. Gears 5 has 100 players playing it right now on Steam, so is Gears 5 a pile of wank by your standards?

I’m merely running this comparison using the games you provided. You sure seem to have backed off from Kao and Blue Fire since then.

85% positive on a platform doesn’t mean much when meme shovelware on the same genre is higher.

CCUs mean ‘Concurrent Users’. folks jumping back in to play. Which basically means it can’t really be crap.
People don’t tend to revisit crap. Perhaps that’s your habit?

What is it with you paid shills and your combative nature? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I wish was getting paid. Perhaps if i had your powers to rate games I haven’t even played, I’d get paid too 😂

Banjo64

cumsessed
I’m merely running this comparison using the games you provided. You sure seem to have backed off from Kao and Blue Fire since then.
Are you actually dumb? :messenger_tears_of_joy: I BELIEVE GAME PASS SHOULD BE A VEHICLE TO DISCOVER SMALLER, UNKNOWN QUALITY GAMES.

CCUs mean ‘Concurrent Users’. folks jumping back in to play. Which basically means it can’t really be crap.
People don’t tend to revisit crap. Perhaps that’s your habit?
So is Gears 5 crap? I notice you avoided talking about Gears. Funnily enough a paid employee would not be allowed to talk about Gears in a negative light either.

I wish was getting paid. Perhaps if i had your powers to rate games I haven’t even played, I’d get paid too 😂
Show us your game time in Cooking Sim (y)

marjo

Why can't people who clearly lose an argument on the internet ever just admit that they were wrong instead of doubling down, constantly try to shift the goal posts, and generally make an ass out of themselves. Just take the fucking loss. Your 'arguments' are not nearly as compelling as you seem to think they are.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Those reviews are more reliable than you and metacritics.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Why can't people who clearly lose an argument on the internet ever just admit that they were wrong instead of doubling down, constantly try to shift the goal posts, and generally make an ass out of themselves. Just take the fucking loss. Your 'arguments' are not nearly as compelling as you seem to think they are.
The game is shit. What sort of compelling argument are you after?

Ozriel

M$FT
Are you actually dumb? :messenger_tears_of_joy: I BELIEVE GAME PASS SHOULD BE A VEHICLE TO DISCOVER SMALLER, UNKNOWN QUALITY GAMES.

Excellent. And Cooking Simulator fits the bill as a smaller title.
Now who’s got a combative attitude?

So is Gears 5 crap? I notice you avoided talking about Gears. Funnily enough a paid employee would not be allowed to talk about Gears in a negative light either.

Never said Gears 5 was crap. I think it’s a great game myself. 68% userscore and declining CCUs so it’s clear many disagree, likely based on the MP.

Show us your game time in Cooking Sim (y)

Never played it before. I’ve been pretty clear about using Steam user metrics as an indicator of quality.

Admittedly not as impressive as you taking one look at the name and determining quality, but it’s something.

Top Bottom