• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: PlayStation to Make Big Announcements this Week

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

_1763443b.jpg

Sources claim we'll get another look at and release dates for highly anticipated games in a State of Play, but Sony is considering a delay because of the conflict between Russia and Ukraine.

Four of my usually very reliable sources at Sony and one outside of the company told me last month that a new PlayStation State of Play or Showcase stream has been planned for this week. One of the reasons why I haven't shared this with you before is that some developers who are set to show off their games in the show and even some at PlayStation Studios have asked for the show to be delayed because they don't want to take the spotlight away from the awful stuff happening right now. This has allegedly lead to talks about delaying it a week or two, but at least it sounds like we'll get some very exciting announcements from PlayStation and its partners before the end of March.

What do you hope or expect to see in the next State of Play/Showcase? Project Spartacus, Stray, Little Devil Inside, Resident Evil 4 Remake, God of War: Ragnarök, Forspoken or what?

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It'll be soon, if not this week. What, do they think Putin is just going to say "never mind" next week..? The war isn't going to end overnight, can't just put completely irrelevant things on hold because of it.

Expecting a disappointing service roll-together announcement where every old game is streamed, a proper Ragnarok reveal and maybe RE4 or CV remake announcement.

I would hope they choose to give us some good news--lots of bad news in the world right now, but it's understandable if they delay.

This is one of the largest crises to face the world, seemingly escalating by the day(via sanctions, threats, etc.). It is indeed a very tumultuous and dangerous time.

saintjules

While not on the same scale at all, the delay is also similar to what happened here in the States during George Floyd.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Assume it‘s going to be mainly about the PS+ update. Hope it‘s true and they do somehow bring the PSone to PS3 library to PS5.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Theres a rumored that Sony acquired one of Konami IP.

And I think they are going to show more of Ragnarok.

FrankWza

Gold Member
I really have a hard time believing that A State of Play will draw attention away from the war. Talk about overinflating your importance.
That was the sources interpretation but it’s poor phrasing. Especially the word “spotlight” in this context.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
They should not delay it because of the Ukrainian conflict.
They are simply not that important to take attention away from that.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's not about drawing attention away, it's about "celebrating" something while a war is going on. They did the same during BLM.

At the end of the day it's just PR, although because it's not happening in the US like the Floyd Riots you're going to see a lot less companies pretend to give a shit.

Umbasaborne

Banned
They delayed state of play before for similar circumstances. They did it during Black lives matter protests.
I dont get the point of a delay here, though, unfortunatley this fucked up needless war wont end for probably a year at least, whats the solution? Dont market or sell anything ever during that time. Did companies stop marketing things during the war in the middle east, or the invasion of Georgia.

Kuranghi

I always like to read these reports in a Westbrook Van Voorhis voice:

"PlayStation to Make Big Announcements this Week as time... marches on!"​

yurinka

Total bullshit.

"Hey, X company is going that didn't make big annoucements for a while and more or less now should make a new stream is going to make big announcements but due to the current [insert here any current very sad/controversial events] stuff maybe got delayed. Obviously I can't share any of the announcements to be made there."

Regarding the delay, I would understand the concerns but the conflict won't go away in a couple of weeks. So wouldn't make sense to delay it, because in fact in a couple of weeks or three could be even in a worse situation.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Total bullshit.

"Hey, X company is going that didn't make big annoucements for a while and more or less now should make a new stream is going to make big announcements but due to the current [insert here any current very sad/controversial events] stuff maybe got delayed. Obviously I can't share any of the announcements to be made there."
“Pwease give me attention and follow me”

It's almost 100% sure that something is happening and soon.
Sony just released their last videogame with an actual release date.

Their fiscal year is ending at the end of this month and they will have to give something to their stockholders other then "we won't be able to do many consoles. but we're producing games you have no idea they exist." lmao.

This is actually something that has never happened with them. Not only we don't have much info, there are no people leaking informations about anything, except for Jason.

yurinka

is there any week where there's no PlayStation rumor?!?! ...rumor this, rumor that, but nothing
They keep repeating "hey I'm an insider, give me some clicks: there will be a PS event this month/week". And then nothing happens and people forget about it. Until after many attempts one of them gets lucky and they make a PS event.

And starting from that, people start reporting any dumb guess they make as a credible leak. Creating threads and making articles about that as if they were a legit source.

It's almost 100% sure that something is happening and soon.
Sony just released their last videogame with an actual release date.

Their fiscal year is ending at the end of this month and they will have to give something to their stockholders other then "we won't be able to do many consoles. but we're producing games you have no idea they exist." lmao.

This is actually something that has never happened with them. Not only we don't have much info, there are no people leaking informations about anything, except for Jason.
Yes, they didn't have a big event for a while and as you mention it would make sense to announce stuff during March or early April, things to later be mentioned in their fiscal year reports. Specially considering they couldn't produce as much consoles as they could in the hardware side, so I think they could show and announce dates for software stuff to hype investors.

It could be a few of these big guns (not all, I think many of them will be saved for a pre-E3 summer event) in addition to the typical 3rd party AAA and indie fillers:
  • Spartacus announcement and release date, maybe even just after the show
  • Announcement of a handful of cool PSVR2 games more from AAA devs + PSVR2 launch date window (will wait to show more games before announcing its expensive price)
  • TLOU2 Factions game or TLOU2 DC (bundled with TLOU1 remake) announcements
  • Uncharted 4 + Uncharted No White Straight Male Protagonist PC release date + GoWR release date
  • Announcement of a couple of PC ports for H2 2022/H1 2023 (Spider-Man? TLOU?)
  • Upcoming OS stuff: Discord / VRR / PS5 PS Tournaments features / Pre EVO online tournaments / if lucky (I'd bet won't happen, if are relegated to PS Now I think will be cloud gaming only) PS1 and PSP digital games playable locally on PS4 and PS5.
  • Announcement teaser of one of the "at least one" Bungie new IPs planned to be released before 2025
  • Announcement teaser of the Firewalk new IP
  • Announcement teaser of a new Firesprite game that starts with the Psygnosis owl logo
  • Announcement of the acquisition of a well known game publisher or developer, pretty likely Japanese

Last edited:

AmuroChan

I'll get excited when it's actually announced. There are too many fake rumors and fake insiders out there.

Last edited:

nbkicker

What a joke so there is gonna be a show but yet again before it even official announced it might be delayed, if sony has a show to bring out then they might as well just bring it out, do people honestly believe that whatever the outcome it not gonna be finished in days or week or two, sony would be better showing off loads of good games and at the end just bringing up a picture saying not gonna be avalable in russia

Top Bottom