• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: PlayStation to Make Big Announcements this Week

cash_longfellow

Gold Member

_1763443b.jpg

Sources claim we'll get another look at and release dates for highly anticipated games in a State of Play, but Sony is considering a delay because of the conflict between Russia and Ukraine.

Four of my usually very reliable sources at Sony and one outside of the company told me last month that a new PlayStation State of Play or Showcase stream has been planned for this week. One of the reasons why I haven't shared this with you before is that some developers who are set to show off their games in the show and even some at PlayStation Studios have asked for the show to be delayed because they don't want to take the spotlight away from the awful stuff happening right now. This has allegedly lead to talks about delaying it a week or two, but at least it sounds like we'll get some very exciting announcements from PlayStation and its partners before the end of March.

What do you hope or expect to see in the next State of Play/Showcase? Project Spartacus, Stray, Little Devil Inside, Resident Evil 4 Remake, God of War: Ragnarök, Forspoken or what?

Let’s delay video game news because war is happening…makes sense. Garbage ass virtue signaling if they do it. Sony, bro, the war ain’t ending any time soon

REDRZA MWS

Just keep releasing games if you’re SONY for the longest time Xbox gamers have been making excuses why exclusives aren’t coming out, I see Sony winning this generation again and again and again

take that mic drop GIF by WWE
“Winning” a “generation”…….. how much stock you own? Otherwise who gives a fuck.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
“Winning” a “generation”…….. how much stock you own? Otherwise who gives a fuck.
Not the person who posted this, but I can see why a consumer can be interested in Sony/Xbox winning the generation, beyond just console warring reasons:
  • More revenue and profit for the gaming division leading to better products and support
  • More third-party support = more games for the consumer
  • More and better-quality first-party games
  • Improvements in subscription services
  • Sense of buyer validation

Kagey K

Banned
Not the person who posted this, but I can see why a consumer can be interested in Sony/Xbox winning the generation, beyond just console warring reasons:
  • More revenue and profit for the gaming division leading to better products and support
Only the last one is true.

The rest lines higher up CEO pockets.

Kagey K

Banned
Speaking on fanboys... are there some prior examples that this is what would happen?
I'd say no because all the evidence says the opposite.

Sony didn't beef up 1st party until Xbox was eating its lunch.

They did it in a come from behind situation, similar to what MS is doing now.

Be8ng able to bully your way into 3rd party exclusives will only get you so far, and if you ever lose that iron grip, you could find yourself in trouble.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Based on the normal pattern, should be today if it's a state of play.
Yep, has to be. If not, I'd expect an announcement on Friday for a HUGE show next Thursday. I was actually expecting an announcement on Monday for the show to be aired on Thursday -- that's their usual timing for a relatively bigger showcase.

I’m confident that their major single player games will continue to be excellent, but for Sony they need their new subscription to be well-received and their GAAS games to show promise.

They’ve got such a wide range of unannounced games that it’s increasingly difficult to know what they’ll show.

TLOU projects seem likely in terms of ‘new’ content but outside of that it’s a bit ‘maybe/maybe not’

>be Nintendo
>outprofit Playstation by 250% and Xbox by god knows how much
>stay old school, improve nothing because you're already perfect

Shigeru Miyamoto Thumbs Up GIF by Gaming GIFs

saintjules

They usually advertise their big showcases a week in advance right? If it's big I don't see it being a SOP.

If it's for this week I'd expect an announcement today.

DJ12

Cannot believe with pes and metal gear solid sitting on the table, sony would just go for silent Hill ffs.

Cannot believe with pes and metal gear solid sitting on the table, sony would just go for silent Hill ffs.
Eh, they probably see the potential in making it a giant series like Resident Evil Or Last Of Us, thats exclusive. They probably got a good deal on it too.

Last edited:

Chronicle

If there is a delay because of the war then my bet is Factions or a other game showcasing gruesome war. If we can navigate and suck up gas prices because of the confk8ct then we can wait on a game announcement. Not a big deal at all.

If there is a delay because of the war then my bet is Factions or a other game showcasing gruesome war. If we can navigate and suck up gas prices because of the confk8ct then we can wait on a game announcement. Not a big deal at all.
I don't know about Factions. If I were a betting man, unfortunately, I'd say my money would be on SOCOM or some other shooter not being shown yet.

That's assuming it is coming, but any war-type shooter is going to get a side-eye, alas. They may delay to put other games in those places for the event.

I dont like it, but that's the world we are in right now.

Last edited:
Come on Sony, give me a reason to buy your new console. I’ve got some money burning a hole in my pocket for a PlayStation, providing they announce some games I’m interested in.

MScarpa

Hope it's better then the last few State of Plays. Give me GoW and I'll be happy. I'm not asking for much.

DJ12

Come on Sony, give me a reason to buy your new console. I’ve got some money burning a hole in my pocket for a PlayStation, providing they announce some games I’m interested in.
Says the guy who just brought gta 5 for £15 when he could've brought it for £8.75.

Joker :messenger_winking:

Seriously though, I dont think Sony will ever announce Halo or Forza, so best sticking with what you've got.

Last edited:

Pantz

Gold Member
Noticed that Major Nelson stopped tweeting out Xbox's weekly deals. He did the same thing during George Floyd stuff. Could be game companies going into stealth mode again.

Says the guy who just brought gta 5 for £15 when he could've brought it for £8.75.

Joker :messenger_winking:

Seriously though, I dont think Sony will ever announce Halo or Forza, so best sticking with what you've got.
I’m not interested in Forza or really any of the Xbox exclusives outside of maybe a couple that have no gameplay footage, I got an xbox because my backlog on One X was massive and I didn’t want to lose access to all that.

With regard to GTAV I’m fortunately not in a position where paying an additional £6.25 is going to make much of a difference to my life, plus I game share so my dad can also play it. Worth the extra for me personally.

In all honesty, I’d love to pick up a PlayStation 5, just as soon as they start releasing some games that really interest me. Give me Warhawk, SOCOM, some new adventure games and I’m in!

yurinka

In all honesty, I’d love to pick up a PlayStation 5, just as soon as they start releasing some games that really interest me. Give me Warhawk, SOCOM, some new adventure games and I’m in!
I'm not a fan of Warhawk or SOCOM, but if there is something almost 100% sure that Sony would delay would be the announcement or trailers of military/war themed games.

I don't remember when or due to which event, I think was due to some big terrorist attack in Europe that in a big company where I did work we even dediced to don't include weapons or explosions in our social media images and videos, and even in store game icons during some months.

Random Tuesday's!!!!!!
It's happening, State of Play announced for tomorrow:

Last edited:
So far we have the Apple event (which I am excited about) a new Elite Series controller (though was hoping it was going to be the Series 3 and not just freaking white) and the State of Play

But yeah I am hoping for one more thing about Thursday - ish

Anything specific you're looking forward to with the Apple event Heisenberg?

Top Bottom