• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Sandra Bullock to Lead All-Female ‘Ocean’s Eleven’ Reboot; Gary Ross director

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd prefer something new instead of the same characters.

The constraints of rewriting, recasting, and a new director means you'll essentially get an original film.

For example, Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2013 are vastly different films. As is Ocean's Eleven, and uhh... Ocean's Eleven 2001. (Yeah, 2001. This film will be an entire decade removed from the final film in the first reboot trilogy.) Nightmare on Elm Street? What about Dawn of the Dead 2004? Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? True Grit? Battlestar Galactica and Galactica 2004 were exactly the same, right?

Let's be perfectly honest: reboots are rarely the same as their source material. For many, just as much effort and time goes into making something enjoyable as anything other film or TV project. The major difference is some names or a general premise is reused, something that frankly true of many new films.

Reboots fail for the same reason new films fail. Audience apathy or bad execution.

It's not a big deal at all. lol

Didn't know about Ocean's 11 being a reboot.

Yep. Starring Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, and Sammy Davis Jr.

Oceans11Poster.jpg

oceans-11-1960-DI.jpg

The Clooney film was also made to trade on the name of the original.

suzu

I didn't know most of those movies were reboots/remakes. D: But it makes sense though now that you guys pointed it out.

Sayad

Got my cast right here:

Bullock.
kaitlin olson
kaitlin olson
kaitlin olson
kaitlin olson
kaitlin olson
kaitlin olson
kaitlin olson
kaitlin olson
Not even casting Melissa McCarthy as Yen could stop me from watching this if Kaitlin Olson is in it.

Just going over 2015, did you watch:

Inherent Vice
Predestination
The Duke of Burgundy
R100
Son of a Gun
The Loft
Jupiter Ascending
Kingsman (which is a really James Bond riff)
Focus
Chappie
Danny Collins
The Gunman
Spring
Serena
Woman in Gold
Lost River
Age of Adaline

That's just up until May 2015 and I skipped a bunch of films.

Hollywood does make original movies, people don't watch them. They make sequels and reboots because that's what people watch. If you didn't watch any of those films above, you're part of the problem. Did you watch Bridge of Spies by Steven Spielberg? No? Burnt, Our Brand is Crisis, The Last Witch Hunter, and Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse? Those are original films that just came out and probably aren't on your radar. You know what you probably will see? Spectre 007.

The "next Se7en or Usual Suspects" doesn't just pop freaking fully-formed from a studio, all perfect and wonderful. Filmmaking is hard. No one knows what's going to be good, and yet they try. Hollywood makes original films (that you don't watch). Excuse them if their big budgets go to what they believe to be less risky projects.

I'd add:

Theeb
The Lobster
99 Homes
A Pigeon Sat On A Branch...
Hard To Be A God
Tale Of Princess Kaguya
Song Of The Sea
Spy (another good spy action comedy)
Trainwreck
Ex Machina

Whenever we people make these kind of posts to highlight the original movies in a given year, the person so against reboots and sequels shuts up. Because they have to then acknowledge that they haven't seen those movies and probably just stick to known properties from the movies they saw in that given year. Otherwise they wouldn't be complaining and would be content with the amont of original movies. But for some of these people, if it's not big budget and is indie or smaller distribution, they won't bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom