• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Sandra Bullock to Lead All-Female ‘Ocean’s Eleven’ Reboot; Gary Ross director

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

I don't mind the concept as such, but (apart from the obvious marketing reasons) what's wrong with an original all-female heist movie instead of a remake?

(apart from the obvious marketing reasons)

ZeroX03

Banned
Have Soderbergh shoot and edit it even if he's not directing.

Heist movies are great, I'm not seeing why a reboot or sequel is a bad idea. It'd probably play out the exact same way, just with a different name.

Wonder if Sandra Bullock will be playing Danny's sister Danica Ocean? Those two would be fun sniping at each other (again).

Lol why a reboot?

Why not just make a fucking new movie, and call it something else. This is going to make google searches even more confusing.

And why are they rebooting a successful franchise? Thought this only happened with old movies or blockbuster flops.

Will probably watch anyway, Bullock is amazing.

Because using reboots as vehicles for women-driven films is a great way to normalize the idea of a film driven by women.

Okay, here is the Ocean's Eleven Femme Cast (courtesy of Sea and Mrs. Manky):

Sandra Bullock
Melissa McCarthy
Charlene Yi
Aisha Taylor
Regina King
Charlize Theron
Zoe Bell
Rosario Dawson
Margaret Cho
Sofia Vergara
America Ferrera

EDIT: Dammit, I forgot Maya Rudolph. How could I forget her?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The way I see it in the modern era a reboot of everything is inevitable anyway. Switching to a female cast is at least something to bring to the table. I guarantee this would have still existed even without that call

I thought they (well Stallone) was earmarking Sandra Bullock for a role in the female version of The Expendables. An Oceans 11 reboot with females is an interesting concept, will have to see if it will work or if it will be a turkey like the female Ghostbusters.

PSqueak

Banned
This thread made me realize that an all female Jump Street spinoff would work in all possible senses of the franchise.

Pass.

Not interested at all. Maybe come up with some original ideas instead of shoehorning an all female cast into a movie that's already been done.

But I guess that's too much to ask.

The shooter
images

The spy
images

The decoy
images

The driver
images

The villains
images

images

Intersectionality is the name of the game. We need you to get more diverse.

JDSN

Banned
Got my cast right here:

Bullock.
kaitlin olson
kaitlin olson
kaitlin olson
kaitlin olson
kaitlin olson
kaitlin olson
kaitlin olson
kaitlin olson

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Julia-Louis Dreyfus should be in this because she's great.

I think the bigger news from the OP is that someone is inexplicably giving Ronda Rousey a lead role in a film though.

Gender-swapped reboots is going to be the new craze.

Don't really have a problem with this, if it's good it's good, cast gender be damned.

Now I have to watch Ocean's 11, 12, 13 soon. So good.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
another one in a ridiculously long list of shamaless remakes, reboots and similar crap I don't give the slightest fuck about

love Ocean's 11 and will keep watching it in spite of this uselessness

plus, Gary fucking Ross to take Soderbergh's place? Bahahahahha

Julia-Louis Dreyfus should be in this because she's great.

I think the bigger news from the OP is that someone is inexplicably giving Ronda Rousey a lead role in a film though.
That's not news, that's been known for a good bit.

Also starring in Mile 22 with Marky Mark.

I don't care what part. Get Tilda Swinton in this.

tilda-swinton2.jpg

Okay, here is the Ocean's Eleven Femme Cast (courtesy of Sea and Mrs. Manky):

Sandra Bullock
Melissa McCarthy
Charlene Yi
Aisha Taylor
Regina King
Charlize Theron
Zoe Bell
Rosario Dawson
Margaret Cho
Sofia Vergara
America Ferrera

EDIT: Dammit, I forgot Maya Rudolph. How could I forget her?
Fuck yes to Aisha Taylor. Rest are good, but Aisha needs more big screen time.

tkscz

I wasn't a fan of the George Clooney reboot back in 2001, but hey, it's been far too long sense a good heist flick, so I'm in. Still, nothing beats the 1960's original.

TBH, I'd love to see a cast that's primarily non-white. Beyond being a double-whammie of outrage from both men and white people, it'd be really nice to see a cast where most of the people aren't white, and it's not due to some criminal element or the location - it's entirely incidental.

Sandra Bullock was talking recently how more roles written for men can be given to women, as Our Brand In Crisis was originally for George Clooney but she took the lead role. We get videogames where the original character was to be male but was changed to female and was made more distinctive because of it (Never Alone, Marvellous Miss Take, and others).

Pretty rad, makes it more interesting. Now just need a good writer who can write women well. Oh they got Olivia Milch, seems like a good choice.

I don't care, they were never gonna make a Oceans 14 and the more Capers the better. Love Sandy Bullock too.
Win win. Just no Mike and Molly lady please, she sucks.

I'm all for it, if they make a movie with a decent plot with just a bit of comedy and not only a remake the first one.

And please God don't cast Melissa McCarthy, I can't stand her. Never watched a movie with her and never will.

Pass.

Not interested at all. Maybe come up with some original ideas instead of shoehorning an all female cast into a movie that's already been done.

But I guess that's too much to ask.
Uh Oceans Eleven was a remake too. That was a film already done in 1960. So was The Thing. The Fly. You can bring new ideas into a remake.

If you're not into remakes at all, ok, then it wouldn't make sense why you cared about this story. So I'm guessing you like remakes if they're done well and have enough of a fresh take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom