• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

REPORT: The Elder Scrolls VI Is Planned as an Xbox Exclusive

Do you still think es6 will come to other than pc and Xbox?

• Yes

Votes: 75 15.0%
  • No

Votes: 425 85.0%

• Total voters

CeeJay

I don't understand this comment. Are you saying MS would willingly put gamepass on PS5 if Sony would let them? I've seen no indication of that anywhere. Source?
They haven't directly said that but judging by their other moves Microsoft probably would want to develop a native Xcloud app that you can access all the Gamepass catalogue through on both PS5 and Switch (along with anywhere and everywhere else they can put it). With PS5 though they could potentially port the games to it for native play as well. Sony are not going to want to allow that though as the revenue model would be seriously detrimental to them and there would be a very real possibility that customers could play and buy content through Gamepass that they could have sold themselves through their own store. Gamepass requires an Xbox Live account which would mean that any revenue would flow through that account into Microsoft's coffers and completely bypass Sony's.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I don't understand this comment. Are you saying MS would willingly put gamepass on PS5 if Sony would let them? I've seen no indication of that anywhere. Source?
Phil Spencer email leak showed that they 100% want xCloud on PS and Nintendo platforms, whether you count that as Game Pass on PS5 I do not know.

dcKF9LZ.png

To the surprise of literally no one.

"Yes, let us pay $7.5 billion for a range of IP with new installments that we will still release on our competitor platforms which in doing so suppresses adoption rate of our own hardware and services and hurts our brand long-term!!"

Literally no other company thinks like this, so hell why people thought Microsoft would. Anything that isn't an ongoing MMO like Fallout '76 or The Elder Scrolls Online, re-releases of old games, or DLC content for older titles already on other platforms, is going to be Xbox/PC exclusive, end of story.

At least, in terms of native versions. Mobile platforms get those games if they have GamePass, and eventually that will likely be the solution for non-Microsoft consoles if they allow GamePass in one form or another.

This is frighteningly hilarious and accurate for a large segment of folks. Some of this literally happened when the FF Origins rumors first popped up, for example. Then it turned out that wasn't a PS5 exclusive after all and suddenly everything turned to how trash the reveal was.

And, the reveal did suck, that much is true. Cringe as hell but, honestly makes me wonder if there'd been a lot more bending over to defend that reveal if the game was a PS5 exclusive like so many people in the GAF (and ERA) threads were hyping it up to be.

Really makes you think :pie_thinking: ... (and yes I know someone will say "but what about Xbox fanboys, they do stuff like this too!". Well yes, there are some who do. It's just much less common to see.)

Phil Spencer email leak showed that they 100% want xCloud on PS and Nintendo platforms, whether you count that as Game Pass on PS5 I do not know.

dcKF9LZ.png

This is a distinctive point: if they're pushing for xCloud specifically, then it means they don't have any intention for native ports to the platforms, but would definitely not mind streaming the games through said platforms. So in Microsoft's eyes, they are viewing PS5 and Switch as mobile equivalents since GamePass is supported via cloud streaming-only (xCloud) on those devices, too.

It'd probably help to see it that way too because it means less native versions the devs will have to build, which saves time, money, resources and allows them to focus more on polishing a smaller range of native builds (which just all happen to be built from the same unified SDK and API tools).

Last edited:
I just don't see the Bethesda purchase as a positive purchase for MS in fact that's why the media thought initially there is no way they are purchasing Bethesda to make big titles exclusive to Xbox.

Sony doesn't generate much money from games only about 2 billion. I do believe Sony is going to make a big push on Multiplayer games.
Bethesda games on game pass makes them money, people buying xbox to play Bethesda games makes them money.

Releasing games on PS5 is incredibly detrimental to their goal of getting as many people as possible into their ecosystem because PS5 players will just buy on PS5 instead of subscribing to game pass or gaming on xbox where there is way more profit potential than the money they'd make on PS5 game sales

lol at this point you gotta be trolling!

There have been many statements made by Xbox and Bethesda that future unreleased titles that don't have pre-existing contracts and commitments are not coming to Playstation. Why on earth would Elder Scrolls be any different. It's not coming to Playstation...

In the same way that any future Insomniac games are not coming to Xbox even though they had an exclusive on Xbox One.
You're right Jim Ryan and Phil Spencer would never lie to us.... Phil Spencer won't do what's best for the fans. They just want to flush 7 billion down the toilet.

Bethesda games on game pass makes them money, people buying xbox to play Bethesda games makes them money.

Releasing games on PS5 is incredibly detrimental to their goal of getting as many people as possible into their ecosystem because PS5 players will just buy on PS5 instead of subscribing to game pass or gaming on xbox where there is way more profit potential than the money they'd make on PS5 game sales
Does GamePass generate money??? The average amount of money for big title is $200 million. It's going to be real hard to produce that kind of money on exclusives.

GamePass us only $15/mo.... There are an estimated 51million Xbox users I wonder how many are on GamePass.

Topher

Gold Member
You're right Jim Ryan and Phil Spencer would never lie to us.... Phil Spencer won't do what's best for the fans. They just want to flush 7 billion down the toilet.

So is Sony flushing additional revenue streams down the toilet by not releasing their first party games on Xbox and Switch? Actually, yes they are. Is there a good reason why? Yep, sure is. Does that same principle apply to Xbox and Bethesda? Yep, sure does.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Mojang is part of the Microsoft family, and Minecraft came to PS5. I can’t see any reason why ESVI wouldn’t realease on PS5. Bethesda/MS will stay make their hard-earned money.

Minecraft would be playable on PS4 regardless of a PS5 release due to BC. MS bought Mojang after it was dev'd, announced, and released on PS4.. and it's not really a game they could even remove from that ecosystem.

It's astonishing to me that people don't understand how exclusives "make hard-earned money." Why not apply this same logic to Sony? Where's the Xbox God of War announcemnt?

MilkyJoe

So you think M$ overpaid for a company to lose value once it's purchased??? I don't think yall understand how bad a business decision that is...

M$ literally bought a company to lose money according to you and you believe this because Phil Spencer said so? M$ does make terrible business decisions but the reason you purchase a company is to make your money back as quickly as possible for investors. Investors go through the law often try to go after companies for making business decisions like this.

You need to make peace with the situation or just buy an xbox...

.. Hang on, why are you upset? All PS gaffers have high spec gaming pcs

Obviously GamePass is a tool meant to bring in titles that don't cost much money to produce. You won't get the quality 4 PlayStation studio big time games a year through GamePass it's almost impossible for it to produce enough money to support that.
Possibly at this time anyway. It might be why many of those big games are delayed and it works out than many of the heavy hitters are slated for later release dates. Maybe
Microsoft bought Bethesda to increase its first-party output make both Gamepass and Xbox more appealing. They obviously want Gamepass to have a continuous stream of content going to it, without the need to rely on third-party games for launch day availability on Gamepass.

Releasing these AAA games on the PlayStation would be counter to what the entire goal is. That is to increase Gamepass numbers via the strategy of being the loss leader.

This entire discussion falls in line with vaporware and nonsense.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-elder-scrolls-6-everything-we-know/1100-6492383/

They’ve already said they don’t even know if it will release this gen.

Imo, MS doesn’t want to release games like this day and date on Game Pass until it’s truly a self sustaining service if that ever happens.

Exactly; there's people on Youtube for example who've seriously argued that MS would be better off doing Day 1 releases for both Xbox and PlayStation, and that "simply" having the game in GamePass would be enough.

But, we already have enough data showing that having these type of ecosystem benefits in and of themselves don't sway things too much. How many 3P games have support for Smart Delivery and Quick Resume on Series, with no equivalent on PS5, yet sales ratios end up in favor of PS5? Quite a few, actually. The truth is people have their habits and you have to do something drastic in terms of the content itself to shake that up at a large scale.

And what's the one thing some people keep saying as a big factor for the success of platforms like PlayStation and Switch? Exclusives. So by that logic, why would Microsoft see a perfect opportunity to take a head-turning game like TES6, that could swing a lot of momentum to their brand and ecosystem, and handicap themselves by providing that content Day 1 on competitor platforms? Yes in the short term they'll get their sales, but they'll lose 30% of profits, lose out on Series sales and also lose out on GamePass subscriptions. Effectively, they damage their own brand long-term doing such a thing.

The truth is Microsoft are already providing a good deal of multi-platform content, from Minecraft to TES Online to Fallout '76 etc. No one is saying for Sony to bring SpiderMan or TLOU to Xbox, even though that's an audience of some 50-60 million they could be selling to (and just statistically speaking, if they sold 18 million copies of SpiderMan to an audience of 100 million PS4 owners, they'd statistically of sold an extra 6 million to XBO owners). No one is asking Nintendo to bring BOTW or Pokemon to PlayStation, Xbox or PC, even though they could sell dozens of millions of additional copies doing so.

So why are people saying Microsoft "must" bring the next Elder Scrolls, DOOM, Quake, Wolfenstein, Fallout etc. to PlayStation? Yes at one point those were multiplats but at one point Street Fighter was also a multi-plat until SFV. Wipeout at one point was a multiplat (due to prior contracts Psygnosis was still obligated to do ports to the Saturn and a later one to N64) until it wasn't. This is nothing new and eventually people got over it, they'll get over it again and just adjust to a reality where those Zenimax/Bethesda games are platform-exclusive to Xbox (in terms of gaming consoles; they'll naturally always be on PC as well).

Hey RIKY, passive aggressively trying to laugh at my post when I stated NOTHING but the most logical conclusion to this argument is weak and it just goes to show how many of you are simply fanboys. I get it, I didn’t say what you wanted to hear.

The director of the game himself says the game is far from being released and may not even be released this gen. So I’ll ask, why is this discussion even relevant? It’s in the link.

The entire ecosystem of gaming could be different by the time they release Elder Scrolls.

Contemplating if it will be exclusive at this time is pointless.

Kagey K

Banned
Hey RIKY, passive aggressively trying to laugh at my post when I stated NOTHING but the most logical conclusion to this argument is weak and it just goes to show how many of you are simply fanboys. I get it, I didn’t say what you wanted to hear.

The director of the game himself says the game is far from being released and may not even be released this gen. So I’ll ask, why is this discussion even relevant? It’s in the link.

The entire ecosystem of gaming could be different by the time they release Elder Scrolls.

Contemplating if it will be exclusive at this time is pointless.
I you want to get someone's attention use @ and then thier name with no space and it will let them know you are addressing them.

For example A AnnihilationDefeatist
Riky Riky

Last edited:
Was this still a question in anyone's mind? I don't like MS buying Bethesda anymore than anyone else does but the parent company was looking to unload it and MS paid way more than it was worth, funny thing is it's value dropped a lot more after the purchase because they are cutting potential PlayStation and Switch customers out. I have a Series X so I'll get to play the game either way but nobody should be expecting this to come to anything but Xbox consoles and PC.

I don’t think the TES games has sold all that much on Playstation anyway so I doubt it’ll happen. Main platform will likely be PC and they’ll port it to Xbox, and it’ll run on cloud as well.
The PS4 version outsold the xbox one version but a large margin, the PS3 version was terrible so that hindered sales on that platform.

Del_X

No shit. The amount of copium people have acting like this acquisition isn't the foundation for the long-term vision of Game Pass is unreal. "Yeah it cost a lot so they have to recoup." No, not if their time horizon if several years.

Mr Moose

Minecraft would be playable on PS4 regardless of a PS5 release due to BC. MS bought Mojang after it was dev'd, announced, and released on PS4.. and it's not really a game they could even remove from that ecosystem.

It's astonishing to me that people don't understand how exclusives "make hard-earned money." Why not apply this same logic to Sony? Where's the Xbox God of War announcemnt?
While I agree with you overall, Minecraft Dungeons released on PS4 in 2020.

coffinbirth

Mojang is part of the Microsoft family, and Minecraft came to PS5. I can’t see any reason why ESVI wouldn’t realease on PS5. Bethesda/MS will stay make their hard-earned money.
Because Minecraft was already released...on pretty much EVERY platform prior to the Microsoft acquisition. Extending that to PS5 makes sense. Look at Quake. Same story.

ESVI will not come to PS5. Get over it.

So is Sony flushing additional revenue streams down the toilet by not releasing their first party games on Xbox and Switch? Actually, yes they are. Is there a good reason why? Yep, sure is. Does that same principle apply to Xbox and Bethesda? Yep, sure does.
I just explained this.... They generate for more money on PS plus and downloads in general. Xbox is already selling outside of the Xbox console. MS is directly losing money from an acquisition and its benefits won't outweigh what they lost.

There is a major difference

You need to make peace with the situation or just buy an xbox...

.. Hang on, why are you upset? All PS gaffers have high spec gaming pcs
I only have a PC

Last edited:

Dr Bass

They're probably close to 20M or more which is $200M... A month.. at msrp

Do you honestly think they have 20 million active people paying 10 dollars a month? I know you said "at msrp" but I would be shocked.

Most of the diehard GP fans here even state that you should be doing the 1 dollar conversion. Then if you are on GP "ultimate" youre paying less overall as well.

Would be an interesting poll to see how current GP holders here have paid for it, via a monthly payment or they did the conversion trick.

MS has stated GP doesn't make them money, and it won't for awhile. So yeah ...

Exactly; there's people on Youtube for example who've seriously argued that MS would be better off doing Day 1 releases for both Xbox and PlayStation, and that "simply" having the game in GamePass would be enough.

But, we already have enough data showing that having these type of ecosystem benefits in and of themselves don't sway things too much. How many 3P games have support for Smart Delivery and Quick Resume on Series, with no equivalent on PS5, yet sales ratios end up in favor of PS5? Quite a few, actually. The truth is people have their habits and you have to do something drastic in terms of the content itself to shake that up at a large scale.

And what's the one thing some people keep saying as a big factor for the success of platforms like PlayStation and Switch? Exclusives. So by that logic, why would Microsoft see a perfect opportunity to take a head-turning game like TES6, that could swing a lot of momentum to their brand and ecosystem, and handicap themselves by providing that content Day 1 on competitor platforms? Yes in the short term they'll get their sales, but they'll lose 30% of profits, lose out on Series sales and also lose out on GamePass subscriptions. Effectively, they damage their own brand long-term doing such a thing.

The truth is Microsoft are already providing a good deal of multi-platform content, from Minecraft to TES Online to Fallout '76 etc. No one is saying for Sony to bring SpiderMan or TLOU to Xbox, even though that's an audience of some 50-60 million they could be selling to (and just statistically speaking, if they sold 18 million copies of SpiderMan to an audience of 100 million PS4 owners, they'd statistically of sold an extra 6 million to XBO owners). No one is asking Nintendo to bring BOTW or Pokemon to PlayStation, Xbox or PC, even though they could sell dozens of millions of additional copies doing so.

So why are people saying Microsoft "must" bring the next Elder Scrolls, DOOM, Quake, Wolfenstein, Fallout etc. to PlayStation? Yes at one point those were multiplats but at one point Street Fighter was also a multi-plat until SFV. Wipeout at one point was a multiplat (due to prior contracts Psygnosis was still obligated to do ports to the Saturn and a later one to N64) until it wasn't. This is nothing new and eventually people got over it, they'll get over it again and just adjust to a reality where those Zenimax/Bethesda games are platform-exclusive to Xbox (in terms of gaming consoles; they'll naturally always be on PC as well).
Ne personally I'm not asking, I view it from a business standpoint in now way does the acquisition make sense unless M$ makes money off it. I don't see M$ making money off the Zenimax acquisition. I see the big games becoming multiplat.

I have no plans to buy a PS5 because I love multiplayer games Sony has to step it up in that area for me to go to PS.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Do you honestly think they have 20 million active people paying 10 dollars a month? I know you said "at msrp" but I would be shocked.

Most of the diehard GP fans here even state that you should be doing the 1 dollar conversion. Then if you are on GP "ultimate" youre paying less overall as well.

Would be an interesting poll to see how current GP holders here have paid for it, via a monthly payment or they did the conversion trick.

MS has stated GP doesn't make them money, and it won't for awhile. So yeah ...
He doesn't say it doesn't make them money, he says its not a big profit play right now. That interview was also done when they had about half the subscriber base that they do now.

He also says this, and this part is the one most people should pay attention to.....

"We always laugh [when we hear that]. Please don't worry about us," Greenberg said about people expressing concerns that Microsoft is losing money on Xbox Game Pass. "Microsoft is going to be alright. We're gonna make it--I think we're gonna be OK."

Last edited:
This should be expected moving forward. The sooner ppl accept this, the better for their mental health LOL

I wonder what kind of budget will this game is getting... more or less? I wonder if the budget had already been set before the acquisition. I wonder what the yearly GamePass dev budget is and how it is divided up... and no, it's not a bottomless well of "free" money. We will probably never know, but it would be very interesting to see. Someone get Jason on it LOL

Last edited:
Xbox will have the Xcloud app out by the time the game is out. That is a much larger install base than putting it on other closed platforms...they are about upping their subscription numbers not selling disc on other platforms.

Dr Bass

He doesn't say it doesn't make them money, he says its not a big profit play right now. That interview was also done when they had about half the subscriber base that they do now.

He also says this, and this part is the one most people should pay attention to.....

"We always laugh [when we hear that]. Please don't worry about us," Greenberg said about people expressing concerns that Microsoft is losing money on Xbox Game Pass. "Microsoft is going to be alright. We're gonna make it--I think we're gonna be OK."
That bolded part is a reference to Microsoft. Of course the company is going to be ok. They subsidize Xbox with earnings from the rest of the company. No one should pay attention to that at all if they are asking questions about the performance of the games division. Greenberg is being silly there.

And they still don't make profit on GP, they would say if they do. They are silent on subscriber numbers recently, revenue, and no profit. Even insider MS people acknowledge this recently. So nothing has changed, it's only been a year since that article has posted, things don't move that quickly.

Topher

Gold Member
I just explained this.... They generate for more money on PS plus and downloads in general. Xbox is already selling outside of the Xbox console. MS is directly losing money from an acquisition and its benefits won't outweigh what they lost.

There is a major difference

The difference is Microsoft needed a boost to their first party in order to compete with Sony. This helps them gain that boost. These two are in direct competition. Gaining marketshare is often times more important than revenue over the long haul.

Kagey K

Banned
That bolded part is a reference to Microsoft. Of course the company is going to be ok. They subsidize Xbox with earnings from the rest of the company. No one should pay attention to that at all if they are asking questions about the performance of the games division. Greenberg is being silly there.

And they still don't make profit on GP, they would say if they do. They are silent on subscriber numbers recently, revenue, and no profit. Even insider MS people acknowledge this recently. So nothing has changed, it's only been a year since that article has posted, things don't move that quickly.
There's too many assumptions in there to even try to have a discussion about.

junguler

Banned
well i was bummed when sony made spider-man exclusive and it didn't even come to pc and now i'm bummed microsoft is not going to release elder scrolls 6 on playstation, all the platform exclusivity war does is negatively effect us, call me what you want but i'm only playing games on linux and probably couldn't even afford to buy these games even if there was no exclusivity but i'm against the whole idea as it limits gamer's choice.
to people that are happy some other gamer can't play a game you have access to i say, careful what you wish for because it might happen to your favorite franchise next.

Top Bottom