• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Celebrates Its 25th Anniversary

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Resident Evil 2, the hit horror sequel developed and published by Capcom, is celebrating its 25th anniversary today. Originally released for the PlayStation on January 21st, 1998, Resident Evil 2 was praised for elevating the franchise to a whole other level of horror.

fart town usa

Gold Member
RIP Paul Haddad.

Paul_Haddad.jpg

leon-re2-0.jpg

Still the best Leon to date.

spookyfish

Took vacation time to visit my parents’ house. I was engaged, getting married that May. It was probably the last time I would get to hang out at their house and just chill.

I went to the ToysRUs that morning and picked up RE2. Still my favorite PS1 experience, hands down. The “play through twice” aspect was so cool at the time. It’s up there with RE4 for me.

Orta

Banned
As loathe as I am to say it, I knew I made made the correct decision to turn to the dark side when I fired this up on my evil PS1 all them years ago whilst my angelic Saturn sat in a dark corner.

Legendary near perfect game. By far my favourite in the RE series

Mr Hyde

Can´t believe it´s been 25 years already. Not my favourite but easily one of the best in the series. I fire it up from time to time just to get them nostalgia feels. The remake was okay, it had its moments, but it didn´t live up to the high bar set by the original. Capcom changed way too much and it lacked a proper second campaign.

Needlecrash

I started speed running the game when I was around 15 or so, two years after the game came out. Beat it with 3 saves in about 2.5 hours. Such a great game.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
The remake doesn't even come close.

BAD edgy Netflix original dialogue.
OST so trash they had to sell you the original games for any form of atmosphere.
Cut content.
Adding stupid areas like the orphanage that's 4 rooms of nothing.
No Battle Game.
Most the costumes you had to pay for.

The original is still the King.

Alyson Court is the best Claire. Forever.

Impotaku

By the time 4 came out my interest in the series was waning i was only interested in the story of the first 3 as it was simple & made sense then it kind of went weird to where we are now with the games where i'm not sure if they are even bioweapons anymore as it looks more like supernatural stuff to be fair i stopped playing after 4 but i get 7 in vr but never finished it. The first games 2 been my faves but when the 2nd one got remade it became my favourite out of them all. Wish capcom had given the first game the full remake like 2 got yeah the ported GC remake to HD was nice but i wanted to see the spencer mansion get a full workover it would be amazing.

Reactions: Isa

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
RE2 is originally a 1998 game developed and published by Capcom for the Playstation, Windows, N64, Dreamcast and GameCube and in 2019 Capcom released an HD version that makes it the best horror game of all time, discovering Umbrella is amazing, and so is Leon.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
One of the best games I've played in my life... Back then I had the pc version 🏴‍☠️🦜... I installed it and it consumed a quarter of my hard disk xD.

Resident Evil 1.5 was a more bleak hopeless horror expierence. They should finish it and release it on PS Plus classics. If they are uncomfortable with it affecting continuity, they can call it “Resident Evil 2 Alternate” or something, and even refer to Leon’s original name of Grant Bitman

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Capcom removed most of the FMVs and downsampled the rest.
Did they really remove some of the FMVs? I had it as a kid but don't remember that aspect. I just remember the FMVs that were there were low-res as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu, lol. Angel Studios were total wizards with that port.

Last edited:

Forsythia

Such a fantastic game. Hooked up my GameCube last year to replay it and it still is as good as I remember.

Just release the classic(s) on modern consoles Capcom! I would buy them in a heartbeat.

kunonabi

OST so trash they had to sell you the original games for any form of atmosphere.
Cut content.
No Battle Game.

Nah, Claire's game is 100x better in the remake especially since Claire's new actress doesn't sound like a pedophile. Leon's game is where the remake crashes and burns. The original RE2 had plenty of problems so they end up about the same to me just for different reasons.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Happy Birthday RE. Will always be a much loved franchise, even if it's uneven. And probably always a nostalgia bomb.

Alan Wake

I was bitter at the time because I had a Saturn and despite saying otherwise Capcom didn't port it. Played on Dreamcast afterwards and loved it. Played the remake in 2019, of course, and loved it even more. What a game this is. Top 10 of all time? Probably.

"You need help..."

The original RE2 is why I got into survival horror games in the first place. So I've got a huge fondness for it.

That isn't to say I don't like RE4, etc. But I would never stick up for RE4 in the same way I'd defend the legacy of RE2, because while RE4 is fine as it is, to be honest, it's the game that changed the franchise forever. Not at all a bad game in itself, but it's just not a good continuation of what came before, since it more or less disregarded everything that was built upon in the previous entries.

Cut content.
No Battle Game.

Also the Hunk Scene in the Remake is complete garbage.

VS

Top Bottom