• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Remake |OT| Party like it's 1998

Dacon

Banned
I'm not sure if this counts as jumping the shark or plunging back into the water and getting eaten.

Can't it be both? So I take these dumb mods to mean that you can now replace player models with whatever you want.

Is the a mod for Darkside Chronicles Claire yet?

PooBone

Played through Leon A, all of the DLC Ghost Survivor Chapters, Claire B, and then made a couple attempts at 4th Survivor and failed.

Great game. I really hope they re-do 3 (which I barely remember) and Code Veronica (which I never played). I also dug 7 and am curious to see what the future of the series holds.

kunonabi

Man, Leon's campaign is bloody awful and the B game is a goddamn joke. I knew it wasnt going to be anything special but I didnt expect it to be this pointless.

Shotpun

Alright, some thoughts from someone who loves the original first two Resident Evils and likes the third one. Note that I have NOT actually played RE2 REmake because it became quickly apparent I personally wouldn't like the game, just throwing out the reasons for my own pleasure and because I hurt my back and can't really do anything productive. Oh, forgot to say these are based on gameplay videos I've watched on youtube.

Objectively:
- What's with the enemy hitpoints, they seem to take absolutely ridiculous amounts of ammo to take down?
- So the B scenario looks like it's basically an afterthought? It wasn't massively different in the original either but it wasn't that lazy.
- The music. I mean I guess this could and maybe should be in the subjective category, but I think the soundtrack is really boring and pretty much a failure. To me music has an integral part in creating the atmosphere, way larger than the graphics, so if I don't like it that's a big dent on the atmosphere
- PC version has negative mouse acceleration that cannot be turned off. Because I haven't actually played the game I can't say would I notice it, but in general I really, really hate when developers do that. Would you like to drive a car that weirdly over or understeers depending how fast you turn the wheel?

Subjectively:
- I hate time limits. Mr. X is bacically a time limit. I also hate it when I have to run away from enemies. You have to run away from Mr. X. I don't like him very much.
- Not a fan of darkness, I'd like to actually see the game I'm playing. I get it this is a horror game and darkness is an easy way to bring in the spookiness, but I personally find it just frustrating.
- Over the shoulder camera. Never liked it, much much prefer centered camera.

To not be all negative, at least the characters are better in this and seem more like real people who say things that real people might say. The original is a bit.. clumsy with that.

Last edited:

angelic

Banned
Man, Leon's campaign is bloody awful and the B game is a goddamn joke. I knew it wasnt going to be anything special but I didnt expect it to be this pointless.

when_someone_is_delusional.gif

Mr Hyde

The mod community is going all out on this game. Mr X in a thong, DMX-songs, sexy Claire and Leon, Thomas the Tank Engine, Shaggy with a fucking grenade launcher. So much fun to see. What´s next? Borat and his green mankini?

-MD-

I mean, I like Claire more but both campaigns are pretty fuckin similar.

Shotpun

My issue is just how much worse it is compared to his original one.

As someone who has recently played a lot of original RE2 I'm a bit puzzled what makes you say that. I mean, generally REmake's Leon's A scenario is pretty similar to the original one, Ada is just way more annoying at the beginning in REmake and the whole weird "secret weapon time" is a bit dumb in my opinion.

Leon's B doesn't have the part where he goes to pick up Sherry while Claire is getting the vaccine, but I don't think the difference is that massive. The original wasn't exactly Shakespeare either.

angelic

Banned
The mod community is going all out on this game. Mr X in a thong, DMX-songs, sexy Claire and Leon, Thomas the Tank Engine, Shaggy with a fucking grenade launcher. So much fun to see. What´s next? Borat and his green mankini?

If we get Ada with a dick im buying a gaming pc.

I made a mistake of making a break in Claire B run for 2-3 weeks so I got lost for a bit but now back on track. Is it just me or does Claire's run seem harder?

That Amy gun is terrible and now i actually have 3 different guns and their ammo spread out....plus the machine gun....and a ton of blue herbs i barely use. I think i ran into 3 red herbs so far.

angelic

Banned
B is loads easier, you should be opening lockers and safes the instant you reach them now you know the codes.

I still say they fucked up removing the spiders. moths, and a lot of the transition locations. The original was like a road movie, the remake is basically station, sewers, lab.

Last edited:

demigod

I don’t remember the lab in the original. Could’ve swore you had to choose your weapons and leave the other for B run. Claire’s B run seems 10 times eaiser than Leon’s A run.

Is it possible to get S rank by killing everything?

Shotpun

I don’t remember the lab in the original. Could’ve swore you had to choose your weapons and leave the other for B run.

In the original there is a locker in the police department basement that has a machine gun and a side pack that adds two slots to your inventory, you can take either one of them, both or neither and save the ones you leave for B scenario. There is also a room in the lab that needs two registered fingerprints to access, so you can't get in there in A scenario but you can register your fingerprint so you can get in there in B scenario. The room has clip for the machine gun if you left the machine gun for B scenario. I don't remember what you get from there if you took the machine gun in A scenario, maybe an another machine gun?

angelic

Banned
I don’t remember the lab in the original. Could’ve swore you had to choose your weapons and leave the other for B run. Claire’s B run seems 10 times eaiser than Leon’s A run.

Is it possible to get S rank by killing everything?

I mean the last third with all the plants after the cable car.

kunonabi

B is loads easier, you should be opening lockers and safes the instant you reach them now you know the codes.

I still say they fucked up removing the spiders. moths, and a lot of the transition locations. The original was like a road movie, the remake is basically station, sewers, lab.

That's kind of my problem with the game in general as it removes a lot with replacing it with anything.

And yeah the B game is a cakewalk.

angelic

Banned
That's kind of my problem with the game in general as it removes a lot with replacing it with anything.

And yeah the B game is a cakewalk.

While I dont agree with you in that I think the game is still brilliant. it's still clearly not on the budget of the original. A lot was cut, it's clearly made simply and cheaply to make a profit, even though it's dont very well. It's smaller, shorter, and clearly avoids making things that would be more time consuming. I expected to fight plant 43, I thought the labs would be bigger, I wanted spiders obviously, the enemy re-use was heavy. At the same time, they still deserve credit for making it, and what's there is very polished. And yes, B didnt have enough different going on.

Grinchy

Banned
The B run is easier but it didn’t feel that way to me the first time. Once you are sitting there with a guide open that has all the combinations and puzzle solutions, yeah the B run is a total cakewalk. That’s why they shave 30 minutes off the time needed to get a S rank.

kunonabi

The B run is easier but it didn’t feel that way to me the first time. Once you are sitting there with a guide open that has all the combinations and puzzle solutions, yeah the B run is a total cakewalk. That’s why they shave 30 minutes off the time needed to get a S rank.

It's easier because the items are rearranged to be far more convenient and streamlined than the A game and despite the extra mr. X appearances and altered enemy layouts there are actually way fewer difficult jukes to make. I honestly dont get why they bothered to include it.

Last edited:
So basically if you gonna go for the S rank, better to go with B scenario?

Game is awesome but as that kid that played the original back in the day many times, the one change im not a fan of is the Kendo shop. That beginning interaction, finding your first bullets and talking to the guy was so iconic and I was really thrown off when I realized Kendo shop was nowhere in sight in Leon A untill much later.

I havent played the free content story yet so Im sure they went for something more cinematic with Kendos daughter but whenever I think of RE2, Kendo shop is the first that comes to mind and that announcement voice.

Last edited:

kunonabi

So basically if you gonna go for the S rank, better to go with B scenario?

Game is awesome but as that kid that played the original back in the day many times, the one change im not a fan of is the Kendo shop. That beginning interaction, finding your first bullets and talking to the guy was so iconic and I was really thrown off when I realized Kendo shop was nowhere in sight in Leon A untill much later.

I havent played the free content story yet so Im sure they went for something more cinematic with Kendos daughter but whenever I think of RE2, Kendo shop is the first that comes to mind and that announcement voice.

Kendo is kind of a mixed bag. He loses a lot of his charm but having a more traditional zombie cliche make it in is kind of nice and it probably has the only decent character beat for Leon in the whole game. Pretty much all the characters in Leon's game are downgrades so Kendo ends up not faring that badly all things considered.

Shotpun

Kendo is kind of a mixed bag. He loses a lot of his charm but having a more traditional zombie cliche make it in is kind of nice and it probably has the only decent character beat for Leon in the whole game. Pretty much all the characters in Leon's game are downgrades so Kendo ends up not faring that badly all things considered.

I'm getting a strong feeling you are letting fond memories and nostalgic feelings get the better of you. The characters and writing in general really wasn't that great in the original.

In the original the Kendo gun shop has two doors, one in the front and one in the back. They are both unlocked even though there are zombies right outside the front door and the guy only locks the front door after the player wanders in. And when the player does wander in, the guy points a pump action shotgun at Leon and bow gun at Claire, and cocks it making a pumping noise even with the bow gun. When he realizes the player is not a zombie HE COCKS THE GUN AGAIN. The whole scene is pretty stupid honestly, at least the shopkeeper changes attitude depending is it Leon or Claire and gets all "darling" and "babe" with Claire which is pretty funny. Now the rest of the characters Leon meets, the reporter is pretty much 1:1 to the original and Annette is way more fleshed out in the REmake, she is just a angry woman pointing a gun at you in the original. The only character downgrade I might agree on is Ada, she wasn't that annoying and over the top in the original.

Now one could argue the original is more charming because it wasn't all that well written and REmake is missing that charm, hell I love the first game because the dialog is so hilariously bad, but honestly I wouldn't start with the characters when talking about things the original might have done better.

Nickolaidas

Banned
I'm getting a strong feeling you are letting fond memories and nostalgic feelings get the better of you. The characters and writing in general really wasn't that great in the original.

In the original the Kendo gun shop has two doors, one in the front and one in the back. They are both unlocked even though there are zombies right outside the front door and the guy only locks the front door after the player wanders in. And when the player does wander in, the guy points a pump action shotgun at Leon and bow gun at Claire, and cocks it making a pumping noise even with the bow gun. When he realizes the player is not a zombie HE COCKS THE GUN AGAIN. The whole scene is pretty stupid honestly, at least the shopkeeper changes attitude depending is it Leon or Claire and gets all "darling" and "babe" with Claire which is pretty funny. Now the rest of the characters Leon meets, the reporter is pretty much 1:1 to the original and Annette is way more fleshed out in the REmake, she is just a angry woman pointing a gun at you in the original. The only character downgrade I might agree on is Ada, she wasn't that annoying and over the top in the original.

Now one could argue the original is more charming because it wasn't all that well written and REmake is missing that charm, hell I love the first game because the dialog is so hilariously bad, but honestly I wouldn't start with the characters when talking about things the original might have done better.

This. People talk as if the original was the holy grail in everything, despite having flaws (writing being one of them). Kendo in the original made me chuckle. In the remake he made me cry. And Leon is awesome in the remake. This is how you write lawful good characters.

kunonabi

I dont actually like the original RE2 much. The only classic RE I like less is CV. There just happens to be some elements it handles better than the REmake along with some stuff it does worse. As for Ben, the new one is just a really bland modern day reporter and not much like the old one at all.

Shotpun

As for Ben, the new one is just a really bland modern day reporter and not much like the old one at all.

Alright, the differences: OG Ben is more confident and locked himself in the cell. REmake Ben is more scared and got locked in there by Irons. He gets got by X in a way that makes sense in REmake after a short conversation, in OG he later gets killed by William who then just teleports away from there as the only way out would take him directly to the corridor Leon is in and he doesn't do that. If you like the more confident guy more that's fine, but saying things like Leon's campaign is awful because of differences like that is a bit overboard if you ask me.

kunonabi

It's not a matter of confidence. Old Ben is completely self-serving and totally willing to let everyone else fend for themselves as long his skin is on the line. He only agrees to help once he learns how bad things are and he realizes that Leon and Ada are his ticket out. This plays into how Leon treats him and thus reflects on Leon's character as well. His new death is way better, no arguments there.

Finished my S+ rank for Leon's 2nd run. I'm pretty sure I can get it under an hour without the stair skating.

kunonabi

Not so sure about getting it under an hour without the skating although I could shave 2 or 3 minutes off with a bit of cleanup so maybe.

I'm kind of sick Leon's B game though so I'll probably just S+-rank everything and move on.

Last edited:

Arachnid

Honestly, I wish modders would stop wasting time with the lame half naked cosmetics. We could have gotten an RE4 Agent Leon cosmetic or a Degeneration Claire by now. Or maybe something that impacts gameplay.

Shifty

Honestly, I wish modders would stop wasting time with the lame half naked cosmetics. We could have gotten an RE4 Agent Leon cosmetic or a Degeneration Claire by now. Or maybe something that impacts gameplay.
Yup. It seems like mod scenes get flooded with low-tier reskins when the techniques get figured out, whereas more interesting (and high-effort) stuff takes considerably longer to happen if it does at all.

Still waiting on some good music mods for DMC5 myself.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Did my first test run of Claire's B game. Had 3 big botches, played a bit conservatively, and didn't spend nearly enough time in caution but it still didn't go as badly as I figured. It feels the quickest of the campaigns so I work on it later. Considering the WR is like 54 minutes and change I should be able shave off quite a bit.

The real unfortunate thing is playing Claire's B game actually demonstrated that the B scenarios are even more shallow than I thought. A lot of the alterations and stuff that I thought were elements exclusive to the B game seem to just be elements of Leon's game in actuality.

Moses85

Capcom is selling all bonus content (weapons, LE-5, ATM-4 Rocketlauncher, Minigun, clothing, 4th survivor..) for 5€

I feel a little pissed, spent hours and nerves to get the platinum trophy.

kunonabi

Capcom is selling all bonus content (weapons, LE-5, ATM-4 Rocketlauncher, Minigun, clothing, 4th survivor..) for 5€

I feel a little pissed, spent hours and nerves to get the platinum trophy.

It is lame but it's Capcom so I'm not shocked in the least. I'm about to get platinum myself as I just need the file trophy. Once that's done I just need a few more records and do the last two ghost survivor missions.

Top Bottom