• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Remake |OT| Party like it's 1998

kunonabi

I agree with all your points outside of Mr.X, zombies and difficulty. I personally thought they were a huge improvement over the original. I know you're just stating criticisms of how they could have been better I just meant in terms of what wasn't improved on the original. To me those were. EVERYTHING else though I couldn't agree more. I like the look of the lab to an extent but it felt a bit streamlined and lost it's grit.....I know the lab was supposed to be newer but it looks TOO futuristic.

The thing with Mr. X is he was an event in the original. It was fresh and new for RE. Now he's just a mild annoyance. It's not like Nemesis who's a real threat with the game structured around him which adds some immediacy to everything. Mr. X really needs to spawn in a room with Lickers to really matter.

Zombies were a joke in the original too but I'll still take learning enemy layouts and behavior patterns over just popping a few leg shots and running again and again. Dodging them was just more satisfying is all. REmake2 really only has handful of tricky jukes and the adaptive difficulty/leg shots makes them far less vital than they should be.

The thing with Mr. X is he was an event in the original. It was fresh and new for RE. Now he's just a mild annoyance. It's not like Nemesis who's a real threat with the game structured around him which adds some immediacy to everything. Mr. X really needs to spawn in a room with Lickers to really matter.

Zombies were a joke in the original too but I'll still take learning enemy layouts and behavior patterns over just popping a few leg shots and running again and again. Dodging them was just more satisfying is all. REmake2 really only has handful of tricky jukes and the adaptive difficulty/leg shots makes them far less vital than they should be.
I mean OTS was bound to take away *some* of the threat to how enemies are dealt with. I still wouldn't consider it anywhere near as OP as something like RE4. My first playthrough I got dominated a lot but I learned quickly which is kinda how i felt with the old RE's to begin with. Mr.X was a threat when I first played through the remake but once I figured out how he worked it wasn't bad at all.

I still think the zombies in this are some of the best in the series in terms of how they work, how they animate, how they get destroyed with weapons, and I really loved how Mr.X was handled personally. Hearing his loud foot stomps as he looks for you in the RPD was very good for creating mood.... It's about as perfectly done a remake of a classic game is gonna get with a OTS camera. It could have still been better in all the ways that have been mentioned but still a solid game.

Those issues we're talking about is nowhere near as bad as some of the other things you mentioned that's wrong with the game.

kunonabi

I mean OTS was bound to take away *some* of the threat to how enemies are dealt with. I still wouldn't consider it anywhere near as OP as something like RE4. My first playthrough I got dominated a lot but I learned quickly which is kinda how i felt with the old RE's to begin with. Mr.X was a threat when I first played through the remake but once I figured out how he worked it wasn't bad at all.

I still think the zombies in this are some of the best in the series in terms of how they work, how they animate, how they get destroyed with weapons, and I really loved how Mr.X was handled personally. Hearing his loud foot stomps as he looks for you in the RPD was very good for creating mood.... It's about as perfectly done a remake of a classic game is gonna get with a OTS camera. It could have still been better in all the ways that have been mentioned but still a solid game.

Those issues we're talking about is nowhere near as bad as some of the other things you mentioned that's wrong with the game.

Yeah, they're certainly smaller gripes compared to the rest.

Reason these mods look so good on Claire is coz her character model design by Capcom is extremely detailed and beautiful and same goes for Ada. In Japanese games woman looks beautiful unlike Western games. Female characters are mostly hideous in western games except TR games and then some Eastern European games. New Lara looks really good.

Imagine bikini mods for Kassandra or Elie. They will look hideous in bikini as their body structure is design keeping requirements of SJW group lol.

Aggelos

It's an awesome documentary/interview with the Directors of Resident Evil 2 and Devil May Cry 5.

This is great stuff. Came to my attention just recently.
Do they plan any DLCs for the end of this year, I was just wondering

latest

latest

So I am going to start my first playthrough soon. What is the suggested most immersive best way to play? Controller? mKb? no mr x mods? leon first? ect

Arachnid

This game is still my personal game of the year (until Death Stranding probably). Fuck, it is so good. I'm trying to finish up my achievements for it but the last one is kind of difficult (finish No Way Out).

Where the fuck is Ghost Survivors volume 2?
Meh, I'm not really a fan of volume 1 so no big loss here. They shouldn't have turned the DLC into a time attack sprint through gauntlet IMO. I was alright with having to do it for Hunks mode, but for every single Ghost Survivor? I would have loved some proper story content (an Ada Separate Ways style story, for example, would have been fantastic).

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

SuperGooey

I would pay $20 for a proper second scenario DLC (ala, the original RE2), but that's not gonna happen, so I hope it's a item/enemy randomizer mode or Extreme Battle.

Siri

Banned
I just finished this.

Having never played the original game the ending came as a surprise. I thought I was about halfway through. LOL.

Also, the game ‘awarded’ me with a grade. I got a C. I mean... Jesus.... I feel like I’m back in high school again. LOL.

Anyway, should I replay as the guy now?

Arachnid

I just finished this.

Having never played the original game the ending came as a surprise. I thought I was about halfway through. LOL.

Also, the game ‘awarded’ me with a grade. I got a C. I mean... Jesus.... I feel like I’m back in high school again. LOL.

Anyway, should I replay as the guy now?
Yeah, second playthrough is going to be a little harder with some switched up bosses and the true ending. Definitely do story B

The 2nd playthrough is such a disappointment. I don't feel motivated to continue playing even if I do finish it. It's actually quite fun for the first loop of the station because it ramps up the pace so quickly, but after that it's the same game more or less.

Also disappointed with some of the boss fights. It seems like you're made to get fucked up especially if you don't get a perfect rotation, like the crane fight which is a glorified QTE with insta-death possibility. I'm nearly sure that some of the bosses feel like they have a timer that makes them easier to beat if you're taking too long, but I could be wrong.

Leons playthrough is kinda shitty because of the QTE crocodile and the Ada section where wasting bullets can be a game over, or getting caught by Mr X. The thought of trying to no-save this game makes me feel ill.

Lastly I did appreciate the nod to old Resident Evil mechanics, something I never fully figured out before. When aiming the gun you should raise the weapon while standing still and do not move your aim until the crosshair centers. Seems to put them more reliably. I played the game a lot better this time. It runs contrary to older Resident Evil games. Dumping power weapons into a boss is a complete waste of ammo. Power weapons are based used on enemies that need to be removed permanently and quickly. The best weapons against bosses are the grenades and knife. I always wasted them as escape weapons on my first playthroughs as I tried to save as much ammo as possible for bosses.

Also I don't like Mr.X anymore. He was fun, but now that he's so predictable on replays it's annoyance having to make my routes longer. I can count the number of times he has hit me in my 40+ hours using my fingers. If he was like a boss that dropped rewards or something like RE2 original it might've been good.

17/12/19 edit:
After many restarts and cancelling a run at G3 because I wouldn't finish under 2 hours, I finally finished Claire 2nd for the very first time and got the S+ rank. S+ rank in this game is snow joke. It's one of the hardest ones I've done and I think it would be borderline impossible to zero save S+ rank for 99.9% of the playerbase. G2 especially is just too much a pain in the ass.

I fucked up a few times and had to walk back for a minute. The biggest fuckup was doing it all with no SMG. So in hindsight the plan should've been to grab the "tome" at the library just before placing the medallions and going underground. That way on reentry you can drop the tome into the statue hand, get the jewel, combine with the jewellery box outside STARS office and get the SMG right after that before going for the clocktower.

So I went for a first save upon entering Irons office and before the next save I had the dilemna of at what point do I save to make a trip from the sewers to the station for the SMG, just in case I needed to fork my run 2 ways;
1. Without the SMG (10+ minutes?)
2. Going back to the SMG

Ended up gambling and doing the sewers without the SMG and then saving after placing the plugs with the thought I could fetch it after saving Sherry in a forked run if I needed it.

But just make sure you have a resource with all the codes and stuff. There's no point making dummy saves to brute memorise the codes by yourself. Codes in the lab area especially, as they dont change and save you doing two returns for the hatch and the sprinkler vial.

Don't know if I'm going to do the other routes yet. I've always preferred playing as Claire and Jill. Leon might be more difficult? I'm just having nightmares about failing the crocodile QTE or dealing with the sewer monsters. However, Jill was more difficult in REmake even though at a glance one would think it's easier because of the lockpick and the grenade launcher. Not sure if there's an HP difference between Claire and Leon here or whatever else.

The OCD in me might compel me. Seems a bit strange trying to perfect 2nd run first but I find it more intense in terms of pace and it's more difficult so I loved trying.

Also make sure to lock fps to 60. No cheese allowed.

18/12/19 edit:
So I'm doing Leon B right now and naturally I've been thinking of the differences between the 2.
  • I might prefer Claire's revolver.
  • Dealing with the dogs might be a bit more difficult than the lickers possibly. I game-overed from dodging a dog then having it bite me in the back for big damage.
  • Only touched the shotgun for a few kills so far. Being able to eliminate and zombie with a gun that has such plentiful ammo is a massive benefit, flame rounds nor acid rounds are reliable for killing zombies in 1 hit and are expensive. Nades can kill groups if they since in the fire splash zone long enough. Most useful if they're all on the floor already.
  • I miss having the fire nades for lickers because it stuns them and a pistol shot or two will fully kill.
  • Getting the jack for the library is the biggest difference. Claire can enter from the weapons storage side. Leon has to circle round the murder hall with the licker so there's no quick "get GL and kill licker" option. Takes a little while longer. If Mr X is activated this is more difficult.
  • The big difference. Big big big. The ladder from the roof breaks for Leon before facing Mr X, however this is to force you to go passed the crashed chopper. Why? Because Leon can explore the almost the entirety of the station at this point with no Mr X. Claire does not get this option here.
  • It might be longer but would be a lot easier, eliminating all the enemies including the station revisit spawns. Can also enter the STARS office for free.
  • After that of course Claire can return to the station form the sewers and there will be no MrX, while for Leon there will always be MrX.
Interesting to see the differences.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

just started playing this earlier today and it is soooooooooo good

i dont know what changed at capcom for them to be making good games again, and resident evil games at that, but i hope they keep it up (y)

Top Bottom