• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 3 Remake Was Sold For $60 Despite Marketing Concerns

Don Carlo

Resident Evil 3 Remake was one of the most divisive games of 2020, the game was criticized by players for its short length and the content that was cut from the original game as well as its 60$ price tag.

Now, according to a leaked doc showing slides and presentations during the development of Resident Evil 3 Remake, it appears that even CAPCOM was internally aware of the short length of Resident Evil 3 Remake and were even warned by the Marketing department that the game’s 5 hour length was “very lean for a single-player game” and the marketing team recommended a lower price range, stating that, “Regardless of the original title length, 5-6 hours is very lean for a single-player game – CEE recommends mid-price range

The marketing team had previously pointed out the game’s short length as well stating, “Much has been spoken about the volume of the single player portion. To verify we’re still looking at around 5 hours for a standard playthrough? Aside from the multiplayer game, are there any replayability modes or features planned for the single player side?”

Despite concerns from the marketing team, the game was still sold for 60$ on all platforms, which possibly proved to be a bad move for CAPCOM considering the game sold considerably less than either Resident Evil 2 Remake or the recent Resident Evil Village. The game has sold a total of 4.6 million units in its lifetime meanwhile Resident Evil 2 Remake has sold around 8 million units and Resident Evil Village has already reached 5 million units in only the span of a few months.

The documents themselves contain a lot of marketing buzzwords and promotional tactics including mentions of a fake leak spread by CAPCOM themselves that will “antagonize core fan base right from the start”.
capcom-re-3-remake.jpg.webp

Source: https://exputer.com/news/games/capcom-sold-resident-evil-3-60/

MiguelItUp

I actually got it on PC around launch for about $30, which felt fair. It wasn't until shortly after that I realized they were charging full price for it, which yeah, that's absurd, haha.

RE2 Remake? Totally worth $60. RE3 Remake? Not so much.

FrozenFlame

The documents themselves contain a lot of marketing buzzwords and promotional tactics including mentions of a fake leak spread by CAPCOM themselves that will “antagonize core fan base right from the start”.
This being what?

Reallink

It sold less cause the game was shit. Even the PS1 original had an overwhelmingly negative consensus surrounding it back in the day.

This being what?
A fake leak that creates two sides: purists of the original and people excited for the changes within the game making buzz, comparisons, opinions and pretty much people talking about the game for a long time. Marketing will then drive the conversation towards the game and how is inportant to keep Resident Evil legacy alive so everyone ends up buying the game.

FrozenFlame

A fake leak that creates two sides: purists of the original and people excited for the changes within the game making buzz, comparisons, opinions and pretty much people talking about the game for a long time. Marketing will then drive the conversation towards the game and how is inportant to keep Resident Evil legacy alive so everyone ends up buying the game.
Lol, sorry, I should have been clearer about the question. My question is, what was that fake leak? I don't recall anything like that for RE3R.

Lol, sorry, I should have been clearer about the question. My question is, what was that fake leak? I don't recall anything like that for RE3R.
Hahaha NP. I think I remember some assets leaked on the PSN, dont know if that was it. As it was mentioned as a suggestion on the PPT, this could have changed or not executed at all in the end.

This was rumored a long time ago the reason why capcom made the game a hard $60 was because of the multiple player and they need this game to sell so they could keep funding stuff for Street fighter 5.

Paid $40 for it. Even with its shortcomings, it was worth every dollar. I honestly would've paid full price but in general I don't pay full price for any modern video game.

RE3 is a legitimately fun video game. The "perfect dodge" mechanic is godlike.

For me there are a lot of parallels between the original PS1 trilogy and their respective remakes. 1 makes the biggest impact, 2 is the overall best, and 3 is the one that's actually most fun to play.

Astral Dog

The marketing team was wrong here, not because the lenght was good, but because Resident Evil is a big enough brand to sell millions at $60, and REmake 3 is an above average game in quality(79 on MC).

If it had been released at $50 or $40 it would still be disliked by many fans for its shortcomings and seen as a budget title, but the game is at 5 million copies sold,and Capcom considers it a success, its just divisive.

Anyways, REmake3 has similar content to 7 and 2, its just far more linear thus feels shorter, and has removed areas from RE3

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Whatever, I take a handcrafted short experience over a neverending repetitive long one any day
I prefer shorter more finely crafted games as well, but RE3 didn't feel up to the standards of RE7, RE8, RE2, or DMC5 for some fans, wich is understandable but depends on who you ask

Astral Dog

Let's put it this way, Capcom was greedy.
its not just typical Capcom greed, for some reason they always had little faith on this project, gave it to their new M- two team, so its not made by the Resident Evil 2 devs like it appears. Apparently they rushed it out to start working on RE4, tried to get og RE3 director back but couldn't, and Capcom let them do their thing.

It still sold fine for what it is since Capcom didn't expected RE3 to be as popular as RE2(i have no idea why), since its not the 'A' team, they don't care as much,but it hurted them in other ways, now moved RE4 to their internal team to keep quality.

They want to release too much RE at once, M two is the problem, not sure why.

this is from Capcom statements, interviews and'insiders' i read over the years so who knows whats true and what isn't 🤔

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
What an huge disappointment of Remake. I don't understand why they haven't tried to redesign the old map as RE2R instead to reduce the whole Raccoon City to a fucking square.

Last edited:

urmie

So are the rumors about the "Nemesis Edition", a director's cut of the game adding in all the cut content, true? I hope it is.

Aldynes

I never buy solo game full price, even RE games which i'm a huge fan when I heard the game was a mixed bag I've waited, ended up picking it up for less than 20€

DavidGzz

I've had an absolute blast with it and have put in way more hours than I have in any other RE. It's so replayable. The fast pace, unlockables, and dodge make it so fun.

I definitely enjoyed the game enough where I finished it around 4 times if I remember correctly. I didn’t necessarily mind the length because I don’t need everything to be an epic 50 to 100 hour journey like so many games of today, but I had more of a problem with the cut content which didn’t make any sense. Max Payne was extremely short as well, but it was one of my favorite games back in the day.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Really? Because I paid £59 for RE2 remake Deluxe Edition and RE3Remake was £39
You must mean digitally

Last edited:

Alan Wake

I actually bought it for full price, played a bit and gave up. Picked it up again this year and finished it. A pretty solid 7/10 overall, but I should've waited for a price drop. REmake 2 remains the king of remakes.

GymWolf

Greedy capcom is gonna see 5 dollars from me at best for this one.

Same for re4 remake if they cut any content.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I didn't play RE3 on my own copy or otherwise I'd feel robbed about how short it was. I was very slow in my first playthrough enjoying the environments and looking for secrets and I didn't even cross the 10 hour mark. There's just not enough content. I didn't have that problem with RE2 especially with the game having more than one scenario and therefore proper replayability that's not just for getting more unlockable rewards.

Soodanim

They coasted through on good will from Resident Evil 2 being basically flawless.

They played us like a damn fiddle.
For me it was the double whammy of 2R being very good and the demo for 3R being very good.

The demo showcases game design shown nowhere else in the game. It is by far for the most open area of the game, with the only remotely similar section being the other highlight of the game: the hospital. Small nod to the sewers and lab, but the rest of the game is corridors. If the demo had been anywhere else in the game I wouldn’t have got it at launch.

I got my money’s worth because I got it cheaper than RRP and squeezed every drop from it, but Capcom know what they did.

Rykan

This was rumored a long time ago the reason why capcom made the game a hard $60 was because of the multiple player and they need this game to sell so they could keep funding stuff for Street fighter 5.
They needed RE3 to sell so they could keep funding "stuff" for street fighter 5, a 4 year old game? Are you listening to yourself?

Drizzlehell

Banned
Interestingly enough I think the price range was a bit lower in Europe at launch. I remember that me and a couple of my friends were able to get it for no more than 40 bucks.

SkylineRKR

i bought it for 30 some time later. I would've feel ripped off if I paid 60. But its still an immensely fun game with lots of replayability.

Top Bottom