• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 HD Project - Progress Thread

you're doing a good job so far. I'm looking forwards to seeing a new version of the jacket that matches the discolouration in the original game. yours looks a bit too uniform. in small thumbnails the original looks better, and there's no technical reason why that need be the case.

your environmental stuff is spot on so far, much closer in tone to the originals than any other work I've seen, including the upcoming PC release. I hope you can keep going and finally give us something that increases the resolution of the textures without pissing all over the originals. you're definitely on the right track I'd say.
Hehe I keep putting off doing the discoloration mainly because I'm skeptical about being able to do it correctly. :) But I will try.

Looks amazing man. And playing this in Dolphin is the best way to play it, IMO, so great that these will be compatible with the Wii version (that's still the plan, right?). It will take a really long time, but hopefully you'll keep interest!
Yup, the plan is to have this be compatible with the Wii Version and the new PC version.

Here's a side question for anyone who knows - when a game comes out on PC, is there a standard method or approach to texture modding it? Does it usually take some really skilled hacker to "open the game up" to being able to be modded, or is it usually as easy as finding and replacing files?

Finished most of the environmental shots from the first gameplay sequence! :)

022101.jpg

Edit: I know the cigarettes aren't from the first gameplay sequence, but I spent a long time on it so I wanted to share :)

022104.jpg

More shots at the blog.

No Love

Banned
Honestly, this is so good that I think a lot of people on GAF would be happy to donate $20 to you for your work. I sure would.

Dude seriously, most of the time, hi-res texture modding with older games does not look good at all (I really didn't like the hi-res texture mods for Twilight Princess and RE4), but this is looking insanely amazing. Much respect.

Simply outstanding. Would you ever consider a demo release of just this first gameplay sequence?
Actually, anyone who's playing the game on the Dolphin emulator can download and use the textures right now. You can download the textures on the Download Page. Just make sure to set the texture cache accuracy setting in Dolphin to "safe."

I'm going to continue providing the currently available textures each week, though as soon as the PC version is released I'm going to shift my focus toward porting everything to that version and working from it going forward.

Getting close! Some updates:

More shots at the Blog.

Also, if anyone has any tips or guidance on how to draw face textures effectively (especially hair), please let me know!

That's awesome! Really awesome work.
Have you updated the finish time estimation or are you sticking with 2 years? I want to get my hands on this lol

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Your work is getting some (well deserved) attention in the RE4 Ultimate HD Edition thread. Textures are looking really good :)

MaLDo

Very good work.

For chrome messing colors, try '--enable-monitor-profile' parameter in your shortcut.

I can see, without a doubt, that your work will rise in quality for every texture you do.

The only advice I can give you is that when you have a texture finished, make a pair of screenshots for comparison with the original. Then, scale down screenshots to a few pixels and look from a meter away with new eyes. Then search for the differences in how the original artist managed to integrate that textured element with the rest of the environment. Sometimes it is more difficult to capture these variations in the new texture, because you work in textures from a very close distance, detail to detail. Not only the lights and shadows logical because the surface roughness, but by the interaction with the environment. Look at that last box how is a little out of place with the new texture. Don't be afraid to rise up contrast in RE4 textures, there aren't bumps to create shadows. But the work is fantastic. Don't give up and enjoy the ride.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Oh dude! Okay! Since you've been fiddling around with textures a lot I'd love your insight on this.

Clearly you've seen some UI textures, but did you ever see any UI textures for the black bars visible in this GIF?

ui_example_by_aloo81-d717oqs.gif

I'd love to be able to make the entire UI transparent - that would be a godsend.

Daouzin

Subscribed. Great Job man! I want to see more. I'd triple dip on this game if I got to play it with those textures.

Hey, it's that dog! I'm still not comfortable redoing living creatures - something about it makes it way more difficult than doors, walls, trees, etc. Real appreciation for those that do this for a living!

No further images at the blog this time, but as always, you can keep up with progress there.

are you modding the textures for the dolphin version, or just making the ultimate HD version?
I'm working from the Dolphin version, since it's easy to dump the textures and load custom ones (also, I don't believe texture modding RE4UHD is possible yet). The intent is to port the work over to the UHD version once that's possible.
Oh dude! Okay! Since you've been fiddling around with textures a lot I'd love your insight on this.

Clearly you've seen some UI textures, but did you ever see any UI textures for the black bars visible in this GIF?

I'd love to be able to make the entire UI transparent - that would be a godsend.
Not yet! But I also don't believe I've encountered a QTE that would trigger the black bars. I will keep you posted once I get there!
Very good work.

For chrome messing colors, try '--enable-monitor-profile' parameter in your shortcut.

I can see, without a doubt, that your work will rise in quality for every texture you do.

The only advice I can give you is that when you have a texture finished, make a pair of screenshots for comparison with the original. Then, scale down screenshots to a few pixels and look from a meter away with new eyes. Then search for the differences in how the original artist managed to integrate that textured element with the rest of the environment. Sometimes it is more difficult to capture these variations in the new texture, because you work in textures from a very close distance, detail to detail. Not only the lights and shadows logical because the surface roughness, but by the interaction with the environment. Look at that last box how is a little out of place with the new texture. Don't be afraid to rise up contrast in RE4 textures, there aren't bumps to create shadows. But the work is fantastic. Don't give up and enjoy the ride.

MaLDo! Your work on Crysis 3 has been motivational and the standard I'm trying to achieve -- thank you for the kind words and the helpful advice. Contrast is something I've been knowingly hesitant on -- I'm afraid of going too far on it... like a cook who ends up under-seasoning out of worry of adding too much salt. I'll try to bump it up a notch. :) I'll try the resize-take-a-step-back-approach from here on in. I'm still developing an "eye" for what looks off / doesn't look off. Thanks again!!!

When i first saw this thread, i thought another texture pack was unnecessary ......

But seeing the work you've done, by Jove its beautiful ! Respectful to the original textures and looking sharp. Keep it up !

scitek

I don't know the difference between the two versions UI-wise, but there's a mod that gets rid of the HUD in the older PC version of the game.

web01

Very impressive work hope you stick with it no matter how long it takes to be fully completed. Like that it stay faithful and doesn't go overboard unlike many other texture mods.

DinHerio

Banned
I was always curious how to mod games.
Would love to try a texture replacement but I have no idea how.
I know a little Photoshop but I'm more into After Effects. AE is for post-production of videos.
The effects and the keying are similar but the workflow and the interface are different.

Anyway, you're doing a great job!

Seik

Banned
This is really great work, seriously. Way better than the other mod we can use atm.

Keep it up, man. :)

EDIT: So this will work with Dolphin? That's great news! At first I thought this was a PC mod.

I sent you a donation. This is really awesome job! I am impressed
Thank you very much! I really appreciate the support -- it'll go toward the cost of the tablet I got for the project.
EDIT: So this will work with Dolphin? That's great news! At first I thought this was a PC mod.
It will be both in the end. I'm currently working from the Dolphin version because the UHD version isn't moddable yet.
Hey Chrisdecuba, just incase this is useful information to you at all.

For the newly released PC version of the game, a modder has found a way to implement the specular highlights that were previously missing.

I don't know if this is useful information for you in texture generation for the new PC version, but I figured it better to have the info.
Thanks for sharing. After looking into it, it seems that it doesn't move us closer to being able to do a texture mod, but it's a great step toward making this the definitive version. The main thing that needs to happen (I believe) to let us texture mod the game is for someone to figure out how to decode / encode the LFS file format that all the files seem to be in. People are working on it, but nothing yet.

Top Bottom