• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 HD Project - Progress Thread

I've said it once, I'll say it again, this work is amazing. Capcom really do not do enough with their 'HD' remakes and ports and this game shows exactly what they could have done to improve the game visually. My deepest appreciation for all your work. I would love to see you work that magic on one of my favourite games of all time if you ever wanted another project.

robgrab

HERE is a quick little video I made using your texture pack with an experimental version of Reshade that can access the depth buffer for effects like Depth of Field and Ambient Occlusion. Can't wait until this texture project is finally finished so I can do another play through with these added effects. Hopefully it'll look like an entirely new game (with a horribly outdated control scheme).

Last edited:
HERE is a quick little video I made using your texture pack with an experimental version of Reshade that can access the depth buffer for effects like Depth of Field and Ambient Occlusion. Can't wait until this texture project is finally finished so I can do another play through with these added effects. Hopefully it'll look like an entirely new game (with a horribly outdated control scheme).

Reshade ?

robgrab

Yes, Reshade, but using an experimental d3d9.dll that grants depth buffer access to games that previously didn't have it. It's being actively developed by a guy who goes by the username thalixte over on the Reshade forums. HERE is a link if you want to follow the progress.

HERE is also a before and after photo album I created to show the differences.

HERE is a newer video with all the bells and whistles.

Last edited:
You guys are closing in on the end of this adventure yet? Every update has been a treat, a variable bonanza of beauty.

Looking forward to the day you say "It's done!"

Shifty

Man, every time this thread gets bumped back to the front page it's excitement all over again. Really looking forward to the release.

(with a horribly outdated control scheme)
ayN68GB.png

Neat video though, having the depth buffer opens up all sorts of interesting possibilities. Does the AO flicker like the depth-only view does when aiming?

Last edited:

robgrab

No. The flickering has been fixed in a newer release. Here's what it looks like when everything is working as it should.

Last edited:
No. The flickering has been fixed in a newer release. Here's what it looks like when everything is working as it should.

That feels like a new game just by looking at it. The Widescreen mod looks fantastic, bars and all. I'd go as far as assume it would be great for avoiding blind attacks against Leon.

bee

Here's another update!

http://www.re4hd.com/?p=6026

I hope you like the changes! :)

oooh, the BIG post is coming! hope this means all environment textures will be complete (or maybe it will all be complete? the progress summary page sure is looking good) as i'm really looking forward to playing it again, last time was the gamecube US launch so it's been a while

will be interesting to see the concurrent player numbers for the game when the mod gets released

100% gonna donate to this on release

edit: oh yea, looks amazing as always!

Last edited:
So.. does this mean it's complete and ready to release by the 13th of July? I'm going to scrape together enough to give you the amount of money it would cost me in the US for a full game. that's 65 bucks, once it's completed. You deserve it. You went above and beyond what your original intentions for this project were and for that you should be rewarded.

Anyone who has intent on playing this on PC and use this mod should also throw something your way, if they can.
This looks like a labor of love and passion.

So.. does this mean it's complete and ready to release by the 13th of July?
There's a fair amount left: Enemies, NPCs, Playable Characters, weapon textures (the higher res "examine" textures were brought over to the other weapon views, but they haven't received a real HD treatment), etc. Thank you!

We've just released a small patch that fixes a few things:

http://www.re4hd.com/?p=6135

Issues Addressed in this Patch:

Rifle (semi-auto w/scope) examine view fix:
The game would crashed when you examined that model.

Silencer (Leon’s Handgun) has been re-included in the inventory:
We originally removed all beta and repeated items in Leon’s inventory “.dat” file in order to gain extra space to store higher polygon versions for the other inventory items. However it seems that some people still use that silencer via a Trainer. No 3D detail of the other models has been lost because of this re-inclusion.

Chinese language fix for the “Got something that might interest you” Merchant cutscene:
The MDT file included in the evd file was wrong and made the game crash when subtitles were ON.

Motion blur restored to default values:
We originally increased the motion blur effect for certain areas of the game to better match the Gamecube version (that effect was more obvious at SD resolutions), but this has caused dizziness for some, and many simply do not prefer it.

Adapted r100.udas file (the very first area of the game) for the “Flawless Widescreen” mod:
This will address crashes encountered in the first area of the game for those using the Flawless Widescreen mod.

You guys should be taken as example on how to deal with patches, updates and so on in this industry (not talking about sheer talent and dedication, that's just mind-blowing).

Why isn't everybody rushing to hire you? xD

Last edited:

Ellis

Is there an estimated release date for this?

Not really. All we really know is that it will be In the new year. There was a big release back in July that contains the majority of texture, geometry, and lighting work done so far, but character models and other improvements are still being worked on. They have most likely been back and refined a lot of areas since the last release too.

Top Bottom