• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake: Exclusive Chapter 5 Gameplay Walkthrough by GameInformer

pachibear

Banned
RGQKSmU.png

1000_F_445727607_Gskd5KS7t6GCr7d688EkJEnDYIW9Y8Tj.jpg

0Y2DGjH.png

Can't wait for this!

Last edited:

OCASM

Banned
I mean RE2 Remake is considered to be one of the best entries in the series, and that same team worked on this. I don't know why you'd think they're C-Rate schlubs.

And I'm sorry, I love what Mikami did for Survival Horror, but The Evil Within was fucking rough.
By people who don't even like the original.

Gorgyles

Banned
One more
It's interesting photoshopping these

the white balance of the world doesn't match the characters
and the shadows are all goobered
which adds to the disconnect

ysqeTV5.jpg

All things considered, it wouldn't take much to fix.

One more

ysqeTV5.jpg

This is the only thing in the videos that bothered me ! The missing shadows, maybe we saw a older build

Reactions: Isa
I don't mind the changes to the game, and I think it will ironically prove to be the best remake of the modern remakes. Not RE1, of course. Nothing's ever gonna outperform that masterpiece. But with 2 and the awful remake of 3, this looks like it will be the best remake, and the best game in general of the last several RE Engine entries.

I didn't see enemies dropping ammo. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention, but I kind of hope they remove that. It's kind of dumb anyway. Only enemies with guns should drop ammo. There's gonna be powders you can combine. If so, that's cool. I'd consider that more realistic, even if it disappoints the OG crowd. But in my opinion, RE should never have implemented stuff like that, and I don't especially like the idea of vendors being in horror stories. But meh. The Merchant is a cool dude, so I'll let it slide.

But I stand by what I said about ammo drops. Villagers that carry farming tools ain't even holding any guns, so having dead villagers leaving behind something like 15 shotgun shells or whatever, is kind of stupid. Yes, I know why they have this type of gameplay mechanic, but even so. Older RE games made you search around. Zombies didn't even drop things, besides on rare occasions, such as when you ran into Brad underneath the precinct.

Also, I'm glad the enemies don't feel like bullet sponges anymore. Why have headshots if they don't do shit? I also hate the inclusion of precise aiming. What was clever about the OG RE4 was that if you were a right unskilled dumb fuck who couldn't aim or fire your weapons properly, that was on you for A, not looking at the beam, and B, you didn't mentally keep a check of your ammo count. You got rewarded for good gameplay, accordingly. You also got punished, accordingly. Now new games make it easy to kill things, as they bloody zoom in on where you shoot. The original game didn't do that, and you basically had to train yourself to become a killer. It made you earn your kills.

In 2023, gamers shouldn't need anything holding their hand. You wanna survive the night? Ya get good, real-fucking-fast.

One day, I'll be able to write a 9,453,210 word post with no darn typos. ;)

Last edited:

Madflavor

There both very good but the remake gutted way too much and told the story worse.

They definitely gutted the Scenario A&B feature, which imo was the only issue I had with the game. But they made up for it in other areas. Mr X is probably the best stalker enemy the series has ever had. In later playthroughs I can understand the argument that you can manipulate his pathway so he's much easier to deal with, or that he can sometimes be annoying, but nothing beats that first playthrough of the game where you encounter him, and you hear his footsteps nearby.

As for the story, imo the only thing they did worse was Leon and Ada's relationship. But I think there are some things the Remake did better. Fleshing out Martin, Kendo and Chief Irons, was a welcome change.

Nickolaidas

Banned
They definitely gutted the Scenario A&B feature, which imo was the only issue I had with the game. But they made up for it in other areas. Mr X is probably the best stalker enemy the series has ever had. In later playthroughs I can understand the argument that you can manipulate his pathway so he's much easier to deal with, or that he can sometimes be annoying, but nothing beats that first playthrough of the game where you encounter him, and you hear his footsteps nearby.

As for the story, imo the only thing they did worse was Leon and Ada's relationship. But I think there are some things the Remake did better. Fleshing out Martin, Kendo and Chief Irons, was a welcome change.
Kendo in the original is a 'so bad it'd good' moment. In the Remake, it pulled my heartstrings.

Madflavor

Kendo in the original is a 'so bad it'd good' moment. In the Remake, it pulled my heartstrings.

Not that I don't get a kick watching him cock a crossbow in the original, but yeah Remake just did him better.

Judging by the previews of RE4R, I'm liking the more serious approach to the characters better. While RE4's cheese had it's charm, I don't think it's aged completely well. It comes off far sillier today than it did back in 2004. I'm already liking Ashley a lot more. If they humanize her more and make her feel like a real person, it'll make me feel more motivated to keep her safe.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Nickolaidas

Banned
Not that I don't get a kick watching him cock a crossbow in the original, but yeah Remake just did him better.

Judging by the previews of RE4R, I'm liking the more serious approach to the characters better. While RE4's cheese had it's charm, I don't think it's aged completely well. It comes off far sillier today than it did back in 2004. I'm already liking Ashley a lot more. If they humanize her more and make her feel like a real person, it'll make me feel more motivated to keep her safe.
We're in complete agreement. I guess it's how immersed one feels they need themselves to be through the characterization. Luis commenting on Ashley's boobs always stroke me as the japanese devs being the anime creeps we know and love, rather than a realistic thing for him to say. I mean, a horde of infected is about to come after you three and yet you think this is a good time to 'flirt' with a lady?

Your mileage may vary, but I really love the more 'down to earth' approach the devs have been going with the remakes thus far. Though it is obvious with the 'bill me for the repairs later!' line that the cheese is here to stay, this time ... for better or for worse.

OCASM

Banned
According to who? Because the common consensus on RE2R is that it's one of the best entries, so I get that it's your opinion but that's all that it is.
How could it be one of the best entries when it doesn't even match the original? The atmosphere alone is a massive downgrade.

One more

ysqeTV5.jpg

Doesn't help with the overly shiny materials though.

A lesson from Fumito Ueda:

―When you put it like that, you really didn't see a lot of shiny things in the game. Why did you suppress specular reflection?

Ueda: When you use specular reflection too much, the picture just starts looking a bit cheap.
It either starts to get that CG-feel, or else just looks artificial.

We're in complete agreement. I guess it's how immersed one feels they need themselves to be through the characterization. Luis commenting on Ashley's boobs always stroke me as the japanese devs being the anime creeps we know and love, rather than a realistic thing for him to say. I mean, a horde of infected is about to come after you three and yet you think this is a good time to 'flirt' with a lady?
Tell me you've never interacted with hispanic people without telling me you've never interacted with hispanic people :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Isa

Gold Member
Really anticipating this one. I agree the rain is a bit much but that can be ironed out or adjusted to, and after listening to the GI commentary I see what they the devs were going for, though I think it could be implemented better. It is somewhat underwhelming graphically but its also crossgen and its a far more demanding game than RE2 or 3make in terms of enemy count and things going on. Far larger environments etc. But its one of my favorite franchises ever and 4 is a damn fun game to play and this one is bringing it in line with 2 and 3make which I love. I have faith they'll deliver the goods, I'm there day 1!!! I wonder if they'll include the extra gameplay content?

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Liking != "considered to be one of the best entries in the series,"

Nah, it's mid.

Well, it's all semantics, really. One of the best implies to me more than one is considered in the "best," tier, which is less egregious than claiming it as GOAT, no arguments.

If we were to put a top 5 in place, for instance, with no particular order, I'd choose

RE4
RE2
RE2R
REmake
RE7

Madflavor

Well, it's all semantics, really. One of the best implies to me more than one is considered in the "best," tier, which is less egregious than claiming it as GOAT, no arguments.

If we were to put a top 5 in place, for instance, with no particular order, I'd choose

RE4
RE2
RE2R
REmake
RE7

Right on. People's favorite Resident Evil games are like Star Wars. With Star Wars you don't have to do a bunch of research to find out which are the more popular and beloved entries in the franchise. It's pretty common knowledge that Star Wars '77, Revenge of the Sith, and Empire Strikes Back are at the top of most people's lists. Just like it's common knowledge which are the fan favorites for the Resident Evil franchise, and RE2R is among them.

iorek21

I like what I see gameplay-wise and the new look to environments, but textures and effects could really benefit with some more polish. Lots of low res textures in this footage, and the rain effect sucks ass.

Seriously, RE2R and Village look better than this.

Madflavor

I like what I see gameplay-wise and the new look to environments, but textures and effects could really benefit with some more polish. Lots of low res textures in this footage, and the rain effect sucks ass.

Seriously, RE2R and Village look better than this.

I feel like it's more likely we're looking at an early build. The way Capcom pump out these Resident Evil games every 2 years, they most likely crunch down to the wire.

Nickolaidas

Banned
I feel like it's more likely we're looking at an early build. The way Capcom pump out these Resident Evil games every 2 years, they most likely crunch down to the wire.
Not to mention those screenshots/screencaps are of terrible quality and do not do the game's visuals justice.

SSfox

Hopefully will be more than a 5 hours campaign with COD like gameplay.

Still won't preorder despite looking great thus far, Capcom won't fool me twice.

The RE engine is great and all but there is always something off on overall image quality. Idk if its the alliasing or what. The shadows too need so much cleaning up. So grainy. Idk whats up with the rendering.

Gorgyles

Banned
How could it be one of the best entries when it doesn't even match the original? The atmosphere alone is a massive downgrade.

Doesn't help with the overly shiny materials though.

A lesson from Fumito Ueda:

[/URL]

Tell me you've never interacted with hispanic people without telling me you've never interacted with hispanic people :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Ueda is a master of masters.
To me he's the #1 undisputed king of style and atmosphere in games.

I would urge the long-haired Capcom art director weirdo to take some notes.

QBKc7bI.png

WFR9pDt.gif

OCASM

Banned

RE4
RE2
RE2R
REmake
RE7
RE2R over RE3, oof.

Because most Resident Evil fans agree that it is, and it's one of the best selling and best scored entries in the franchise. I mean it's really that simple, there's no need to deep dive into it.
Modern RE fans, that is. Then again, "a lot of people think so" isn't really an argument.

The rain effect reminds me of Cyberpunk 2077 rain when the game just released and you couldnt see shit. They def need to make those particles more transparent.

OCASM

Banned

Nickolaidas

Banned
I'm starting to think a certain few individuals here are trolling. Some takes are so delusional to the point they read like a parody twitter account made simply for triggering people.

I am fully waiting for someone to come out and say that the company logos in the original are better than the entirety of the remakes or something.

OCASM

Banned
I'm starting to think a certain few individuals here are trolling. Some takes are so delusional to the point they read like a parody twitter account made simply for triggering people.

I am fully waiting for someone to come out and say that the company logos in the original are better than the entirety of the remakes or something.
Well, they did have more charm than these soulless cashgrabs :messenger_halo:

Last edited:

Gorgyles

Banned

You've typed more words in this thread than anybody else and it's not even close.

Top Bottom