• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake: Exclusive Chapter 5 Gameplay Walkthrough by GameInformer

Yep. It certainly moved the series away from the core appeal of survival horror, in order to comfortably ride the coattails of the more popular action genre. It's arguably thanks to 4, we got the abomination that was 8.

They are kind of similar, anyway.

Shakka43

Yes, the remake looks miles better than the original. Better graphics, atmosphere, controls, you name it.
Even if these things are true now, it is still a ridiculous comparison to make. When RE4 first came out it was bar none one of the best looking games in all of gaming, it had fantastic atmosphere and a revolutionary control system that shaped the way we play third person games even to this day. RE4R has none of that.

Nickolaidas

Banned
The anime stuff started in Code Veronica. RE4 is more like a playable 80's action movie.
Yeah, the intro alone was pure anime action-fest. I remember watching the scene with Claire and the helicopter and I was like, 'what the fuck? This isn't what RE is supposed to be'.

Whether I like it or not, it has become part of the IP now. Thankfully they toned it down, but now that they've reached the RE4 era, it could very well come back - *shivers*

Just played through the original twice (normal and pro) - there is a lot they could do better in the remake. The original will always be a classic, and the remake will never top it, but the remake could be VERY good. Recall that when the original came out, doing things like climbing up and tossing down ladders and barricading doors was original and incredibly interesting. Nothing can take away that originality, and capcom wont be able to be that original this time.

What they can do is make a really good game that has bits of extra content and works out some of the rough edges of the original. If they give us more Luis in return for the ballistics they stole from us, all will be well.

DavidGzz

Even if these things are true now, it is still a ridiculous comparison to make. When RE4 first came out it was bar none one of the best looking games in all of gaming, it had fantastic atmosphere and a revolutionary control system that shaped the way we play third person games even to this day. RE4R has none of that.

Nah, the goal of this remake is to improve in the original. The same way Demon's Souls remake did. It looks like they accomplished that goal.

So they're adding in the Mercenaries. I hope they don't forget about Separate Ways. But of course, it won't feel the same without Ada's iconic red dress. 💇‍♀️

Capcom, why'd you change things up?

So ...there's no chance they'll fix the rain is there? How can they be so good at visuals but then both something like rain? I don't get it. R2r2 remake had the worst color grading ever in the RCPD building, yet otherwise had some of the best visuals at the time.

Stuff like this ruins those game segments for me. It's like..getting bronze medal at the Olympics. So close but not good enough.

True and ironically the original did most of these things better for the time period than the remake is doing today. Remake isn't even one of the best games graphically today. Not that it looks bad. It looks nice but Re4 at the time was the best looking console game. Hmm .. they should've probably aimed a little higher graphically with this considering we're 2.5 years into "next gen" and it's a remake. See Demon's Souls remake was amazing looking at the time. Re2/3 were pretty damn impressive. Re4 remake looks about the same as re2/3 when they came out except they released without the benefit of next gen consoles.

Last 3 remakes have been a little underwhelming graphically for being on next gen hardware imo - lou1 remake, Dead space and this. They're all really good looking tho but come on devs, you have so much more power to work with let's step it up!

kiphalfton

Dear God it's even worse than the tiny pictures, blacks are so crushed you quite literally can't see anything. The shed towards the beginning is completely invisible, the entire screen is effectively solid black, no shadow detail whatsoever. How do you fuck something up this hard?
No Shinji Mikami. That's how.

Last edited:
Way too garish for me. A cross process crushed mannequin ride.

I'd want a remake of this remake.

It's a good job those guys did a faithful HD version of the original on PC.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
What exactly from the original RE4 is being shat on here?
salazar-re4-remake.900x.jpg

:p

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
What a dumb question. Changing everything people love about the original, from the art direction to gameplay mechanics to characters, while unnecessarily adding shit like stealth and parry. This is RE4 for people who hate RE4.
Good thing you can just play original RE4 thats available EVERYWHERE if you want exact same game.

Danjin44

Why do people bring up this smartass shit every time people criticize this thing, like it's not allowed or something?
Because you bringing the same tired argument, Capcom or most devs for that matter not gonna put that much resource for Remake to make 1:1 exact game that’s already available everywhere, what would be the point of that?

shiru

Banned
Because you bringing the same tired argument, Capcom or most devs for that matter not gonna put that much resource for Remake to make 1:1 exact game that’s already available everywhere, what would be the point of that?
ahem, Metroid Prime Remaster. Which everyone praises precisely because it's 1:1 to the orginal and doesn't change things for the sake of it. It respects the original vision. What's the point of a remake if you are not going to stick to the original vision that people loved while adding things no one wants? RE4 is a perfect game in the eyes of many, and fucking with it was never going to be well received by its actual fans. Especially because it's unnecessary and literally only exists for monetary reasons.

Last edited:

Danjin44

ahem, Metroid Prime Remaster.
That game is remaster and not remake.

RE4 is a perfect game in the eyes of many, and fucking with it was never going to be well received by its actual fans. Especially because it's unnecessary and literally only exists for monetary reasons.
So basically from beginning you never going to be happy with remake no matter what they do because you think “unnecessary”.

shiru

Banned
That game is remaster and not remake.
Whatever, the point is Capcom could have done what Retro did with MPR and would be receiving praise instead of scorn.
So basically from beginning you never going to be happy with remake no matter what they do because you think “unnecessary”.
Remaking a perfect game is pointless. Yes, I'm not happy with Capcom taking a classic like RE4 and "modernizing" it for money. It's tasteless. People don't like unecessary remakes. I'm sure you'll love the DLC they'll try to sell you.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Whatever, the point is Capcom could have done what Retro did with MPR and would be receiving praise instead of scorn.
Again remaster of the original game already exist almost everywhere, why would do that again?
Remaking a perfect game is pointless. Yes, I'm not happy with Capcom taking a classic like RE4 and "modernizing" it for money. It's tasteless. People don't like unecessary remakes. I'm sure you'll love the DLC they'll try to sell you.
Then it’s pointless for Capcom try to appeal to people like you because you never going to happy with it no matter what, so they figure you would just go play the original game that already available.

Last edited:

CGNoire

RE 96 is my favorite too. The graphics are great if you have appropriate hardware. Not as good as 2 or 3 but they still hold up really well. Playing on a pspgo hooked up to a Trinitron via component cables, you get actual 240p and it looks phenomenal. Same with the Saturn, it can do native RGB w/ the retrovision component cables, game looks great but the faces in the Saturn version are completely fucked compared to PSX, lol.
Yep here too. The OG version has this everything lit with white light look that makes it feel like just a regular location which serves to create an uncanny juxtaposition thats "creepy" considering whats happening in the game. Think Vader standing up in the regular looking dining room in cloud city creppy. Shits unique in feel.

shiru

Banned
Again remaster of the original game already exist almost everywhere, why would do that again?

Then it’s pointless for Capcom try to appeal to people like you because you never going to happy with it no matter what, so they figure you would just go play the original game that already available.
Did you not get what I said? That RE4 doesn't NEED to get remade? That capcom could have simply left it alone instead?

Last edited:
Did you not get what I said? That RE4 doesn't NEED to get remade? That capcom could have simply left it alone instead?
It doesn't need to be remade , just like Re OG din't need a sequel, but people want it and will gladly buy it , just like i can't wait for Re4remake , looks fucking great! If it doesn't appeal to you don't buy and stop shitting on it.

shiru

Banned
It doesn't need to be remade , just like Re OG din't need a sequel, but people want it and will gladly buy it , just like i can't wait for Re4remake , looks fucking great! If it doesn't appeal to you don't buy and stop shitting on it.
That's great. If you don't like my opinions ignore them and don't quote me.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

What a dumb question. Changing everything people love about the original, from the art direction to gameplay mechanics to story and characters, while unnecessarily adding shit like stealth and parry. This is RE4 for people who hate RE4.

Agreed! It's going to be great now.

I beat RE4 two times in a row in the last month, and can confidently say that the remake will never beat it.

That being said, I am excited for it in it's own right, and think it is ridiculous to say it is destroying the original. The original still exists. This is not a physical object which can be modified irrevocably, nor will capcom be removing the original from storefronts. If anything, this may lead to more people playing the original, which is absolutely going to be better than the remake.

There is no way the remake can be as good. That doesnt mean it cant be good - I am sure it will be good in its own right - but nothing cranked out in the modern era can surpass one of the most influential games of all time.

Nu Ashely looks better, I will miss the ballistics and panty jokes, I am sad about less muscles. Tankier villagers, knife executions, and the weapon wheel is cool.

SuperGooey

What a dumb question. Changing everything people love about the original, from the art direction to gameplay mechanics to story and characters, while unnecessarily adding shit like stealth and parry. This is RE4 for people who hate RE4.
Haha, how rude.

The original RE4 is one of my favorite games of all time, as is REmake. This is basically RE4 getting the REmake treatment. Everything is in the game, but remixed and expanded as well as lots of new mechanics and surprises to keep the experience fresh.

To me, this is a pretty loyal remake. The art direction is new, but I'm fine with that since it looks so great so far. I think like the original RE1 and it's remake, RE4 and RE4R will compliment each other well.

shiru

Banned
Haha, how rude.

The original RE4 is one of my favorite games of all time, as is REmake. This is basically RE4 getting the REmake treatment. Everything is in the game, but remixed and expanded as well as lots of new mechanics and surprises to keep the experience fresh.

To me, this is a pretty loyal remake. The art direction is new, but I'm fine with that since it looks so great so far. I think like the original RE1 and it's remake, RE4 and RE4R will compliment each other well.
I don't think fucking with an all time classic is nice or a required thing to do. It's especially jarring when you do it worse and add a dash of modern politics to it. If Hollywood tried remaking Back to the Future or Star Wars OT a lot of people would rake them over the coals for it and rightfully so. But I get that money is important to a business.

Top Bottom