• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake: Exclusive Chapter 5 Gameplay Walkthrough by GameInformer

SuperGooey

I don't think fucking with an all time classic is nice or a required thing to do. It's especially jarring when you do it worse and add a dash of modern politics to it. If Hollywood tried remaking Back to the Future or Star Wars OT a lot of people would rake them over the coals for it and rightfully so. But I get that money is important to a business.
This remake clearly has a lot of love and effort put into it. I think a lot of the new additions are improvements, and I feel the village horde is perfectly reimagined in the remake. All the changes seem to emphasize overwhelming the player even more than before, which is great! In order to have the same effect the original village had in 2005 today, things needed to change in the remake. More aggressive enemies that intelligently flank and surround you while also upping Leon's movement and abilities to counter this both ups the tension and the action-- two elements that I feel are the core to RE4's gameplay. All of this while retaining the overall layout of the original map, but remixing some elements and expanding others makes this remake really exciting to me!

Did you not like REmake for completely changing the aesthetic of RE1's mansion, shark tank, lab, as well as adding new ones? Were you upset about Capcom adding the Lisa Trevor subplot (which is a COMPLETELY different tone than anything in RE1)? Were you upset about the inclusion of defense items and the crimson head mechanic? Both quite drastically change the way you navigate the mansion and make you rethink killing zombies.

These are genuine questions because I feel this RE4 remake has a lot in common with the RE1 remake.

Last edited:
This is one of those games on PC where I can't freaking decide if I want to play with MKB or controller. The precision of aim can't be beat but the way you move the character isn't nearly as immersive. But I have found the answer to this.

Praydogs VR mod. Best immmersion, best aiming. Re2 mod and 7 were incredible.

shiru

Banned
This remake clearly has a lot of love and effort put into it.
Doesn't change anything. Lots of bad things have a lot of love and effort put into them. I'm sure Ligthyear had a lot of love and effort put into it, I'm not about to sing its praises for existing.
Did you not like REmake for completely changing the aesthetic of RE1's mansion, shark tank, lab, as well as adding new ones? Were you upset about Capcom adding the Lisa Trevor subplot (which is a COMPLETELY different tone than anything in RE1)? Were you upset about the inclusion of defense items and the crimson head mechanic? Both quite drastically change the way you navigate the mansion and make you rethink killing zombies.

These are genuine questions because I feel this RE4 remake has a lot in common with the RE1 remake.
I don't really put the original Resident Evil on the same masterpiece status as RE4. The REmake was also directed by the series creator, which only adds legitimacy to it. I don't think this remake is on that same level. Adding extra content to an existing game? I don't mind that. Changing entire sections, gameplay systems, and plot? Uncalled for. When a game is already a triumph in terms of design, and has achieved such celebratory status as RE4. It's why Retro did it right with Metroid Prime Remastered. Why mess with something that is seen as perfect in the eyes of many?

Last edited:

Lethal01

At the same time, a game can have a lot of detail and still look ugly or unappealing, like this remake does. If they fixed the lighting and contrast I wouldn't be so harsh on it.
After playing the demo I'm guessing these videos were just badly recorded, looks fine on a properly calibrated screen.

Nickolaidas

Banned

Playing the game absolutely cemented to me that, FOR ME, the original is surpassed in every way imaginable. Graphics, atmosphere, controls, gameplay, everything is elevated and the game is ten times better than the original. I get that purists will shit on the remake and call it the worst thing ever made because reasons, but I think it will be an amazing experience I can't wait to play.

10/10 for me so far, with my only nitpicks being texture pop-ins here and there which is probably something they will either patch or already have fixed by the time the actual game drops in two weeks.

GooseMan69

I’m playing the original for the first time and holy shit what a great game. Been meaning to play it for like 15 years lmao

Nickolaidas

Banned
Even if these things are true now, it is still a ridiculous comparison to make. When RE4 first came out it was bar none one of the best looking games in all of gaming, it had fantastic atmosphere and a revolutionary control system that shaped the way we play third person games even to this day. RE4R has none of that.
No one's questioning the contribution of games like RE4 and Demon's Souls in the industry. But for many people RE4 today has many limitations in controls - limitations where this remake works on and makes it a much better and more enjoyable experience. You don't like it, that's perfectly alright, but there IS a demand from gamers like me, who were never satisfied with RE4 and this remake is a much better product. It's not a revolutionary game, nor does it to be. It only needs to improve on the limitations of the original. Which is why it is a remake and not a sequel or spiritual successor.
Nah, the goal of this remake is to improve in the original. The same way Demon's Souls remake did. It looks like they accomplished that goal.
EXACTLY.
In your opinion, not everyone is going agree with that. I personally LOVED original game and still highly looking forward to the remake.
I didn't love it, but I am pretty sure I am going to love this one XD
I don't think fucking with an all time classic is nice or a required thing to do. It's especially jarring when you do it worse and add a dash of modern politics to it. If Hollywood tried remaking Back to the Future or Star Wars OT a lot of people would rake them over the coals for it and rightfully so. But I get that money is important to a business.
Nice? Required? Fucking with? The original is still there, ported and remastered a hundred times on twenty different platforms. There is literally no reason for the remake to be a 1:1 adaption to the original. Otherwise you get people who shat on Dead Space Remake for being very faithful to the original - and even then you still get people who claim it was ruined because Isaac's armor has now 47 metal plates on the shoulder instead of 46 which was perfection (rolls eyes).
I also chuckle when I hear things like 'they made this product because, money'. Yeah, no shit. You think that the original RE4 was made for charity and world peace? Both products were made for money and both products were made to be sold to an audience that was willing to part with their money in exchange for a good product to enjoy. Nothing changed in that regard. You people make it sound like Mikami sat on a bonfire with seven Capcom employees twenty years ago and talked about how to bring love, pathos and culture to the world by making RE4 or something. They were making SH games. People were getting bored of the same formula after the dwindling sales of the Gamecube remake and zero - which is probably why they canned the idea to remake 2 and 3, the gameplay was getting stale, they needed to revamp and change things. And they came up with RE4.

That's the irony. RE4 was especially made to make Capcom make money because the last RE entries weren't selling as well as the older ones did. IT WAS MADE ENTIRELY for MORE money. It was LITERALLY the definition of a business move by a company to keep its IP relevant.

Last edited:

CGNoire

What a dumb question. Changing everything people love about the original, from the art direction to gameplay mechanics to story and characters, while unnecessarily adding shit like stealth and parry. This is RE4 for people who hate RE4.
This is how I felt about RE2make....welcome to the party.

Last edited:

zokie

a big thanks to Nickolaidas for the awesome video and i really loved the details

Honestly i am not too concerned about the rain as its not a big problem for me , my problem with the game lies with something else

But yeah i will still get the remake eventually as i did for Remake 2 and Remake 3

Nickolaidas

Banned
a big thanks to Nickolaidas for the awesome video and i really loved the details

Honestly i am not too concerned about the rain as its not a big problem for me , my problem with the game lies with something else

But yeah i will still get the remake eventually as i did for Remake 2 and Remake 3
Thanks - not my video, I just found it a very good thing to see.

As for the rain, Capcom said it's getting patched day one.

Where do your worries lie?

zokie

Thanks - not my video, I just found it a very good thing to see.

As for the rain, Capcom said it's getting patched day one.

Where do your worries lie?

Your welcome

- i have turned to digital mostly and the SRP here is quite high , thus not getting on day 1 ( overseas psn account )
- ballistic physics could be gone ( street broken copies are being uploaded to certain social media )
- additional content if there's any

Last edited:
A YouTuber I watch somehow got the game early, and played it live. He couldn't show the game, but he did unbox it in front of us. So he wasn't telling fibs.

Well, he says a lot has been cut. I can't say that surprises me, knowing Capcom likes to rush through their development. None of the recent remakes were all that faithful either, quite frankly. When things are cut, it just begs that all too important question as to why it was necessary. But I think Dusk Golem said that Separate Ways is planned as DLC.

Maybe in another 6 months, we'll get it. So as long as the game is enjoyable, and you go into it knowing things will be omitted, it should not take from the experience too deeply.

Madflavor

A YouTuber I watch somehow got the game early, and played it live. He couldn't show the game, but he did unbox it in front of us. So he wasn't telling fibs.

Well, he says a lot has been cut. I can't say that surprises me, knowing Capcom likes to rush through their development. None of the recent remakes were all that faithful either, quite frankly. When things are cut, it just begs that all too important question as to why it was necessary. But I think Dusk Golem said that Separate Ways is planned as DLC.

Maybe in another 6 months, we'll get it. So as long as the game is enjoyable, and you go into it knowing things will be omitted, it should not take from the experience too deeply.

It's been 100% confirmed for a few days now what's been cut, and it's not a lot. The Youtuber you watch is exaggerating. The length of the game has been described as being as long as the original, if not longer, due to the the things they've added. Including side quests. In fact Suzi Hunter said anything cut from the game has been replaced with new set pieces.

Last edited:

Stinkbug

Neo Member
I am super excited for this game. I'm glad to hear it's more or less the same game but updated- that's the best i could hope for. If they cut out some of the more inconsequential parts, that's fine given that they've apparently added some parts. In my most recent playthroughs, i actually did not mind not being able to shoot while moving, but not being able to crouch/sneak around was a bit jarring, so i'm glad that's now implemented. I think this is a game that i will like, but the original will still be unique and enjoyable enough to not be supplanted, so going forward i'll have two RE4s to occasionally replay instead of the one.

I wonder what the puzzles are like. I mean, the puzzles in RE3 were rather easy, and there was only two to solve.

I'm not really a fan of puzzles anyway. But when you provide a puzzle with the answer written on the wall, well...

Why call it a puzzle? :D

Spaceman292

Banned
I wonder what the puzzles are like. I mean, the puzzles in RE3 were rather easy, and there was only two to solve.

I'm not really a fan of puzzles anyway. But when you provide a puzzle with the answer written on the wall, well...

Why call it a puzzle? :D
If they remove that fucking sliding tile puzzle it'll only be an improvement

An aspect to RE4 and other horror games with action, that I truly detest, is a shopping system being in the game. I think that is just so unrealistic.

I know in Days Gone you get weapons in the camps by trading. It's unlikely you could murder a vendor in one of those camps, and take the loot without being spotted. Even so, it's stupid to be so trusting of people who could betray you.

The Merchant is an icon of RE4. That's okay. But in general, it was something I felt radically reduced the creepiness, causing the atmosphere in the series to gradually decline more and more. It's why the old games in the genre are way superior.

That along with ammo drops, "killed" the franchise. Crows don't shove coins up their poopers. It's things like this that makes me glad I can still enjoy those old PS2 games. When games were more of a challenge, to be honest.

Top Bottom