• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake Gameplay Revealed

EDMIX

Still very keen but I hope this doesn't mean they're skipping a Code Veronica remake.

That's the RE game that needed a remake more than any others. RE 1, 2, 3, 4 all still hold up as great games. Code Veronica is a good game with a LOT of shit stuck to it, namely way too much padding and awful boss battles. But regardless of its faults it should always have been RE4.

I actually disagree. CV is my favorite of the old RE's, but I feel all of them needed remakes. I love em and play then a lot actually, but I'm not going to fucking sit here and tell someone to play that fixed camera, bad control shit JUST cause I like it, I have to separate myself from that and address that as best I can without just going full RE fanz on people lol

So I got to remain objective on this one, they all needed the work. I agree with CV needed to be RE4, I like it more then 2 and 3 actually. With how Capcom is doing the remakes with a different team and having the main team continue RE, I believe a remake of CV is more inevitable then anything.

I think you'll see a remake of the very first RE with over the shoulder controls and Zero, I think you'll see a remake of CV, likely by the same team.

That helipad boss battle can make some fucking sense now lol So I expect them to do CV after this or likely a remake of the 2002 remaster one.

Forsythia Forsythia well he actually states its a reimagining.

Though I can't state this is what a remake should look like, this is however how THIS remake imho should look like. A lot of us always wanted to know how it would look from that concept footage, at least we'll have answer to that.

Last edited:

chixdiggit

They JUST made a new RE game. Like they JUST did that.......
Are we talking about Village that was released over a year ago? The one where we are still waiting for the long promised expansions and Re:Verse?
Just seems like a lot of effort going into a game that many have played numerous times before. RE4 HD is great and still holds up great. Just give me new content.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I actually disagree. CV is my favorite of the old RE's, but I feel all of them needed remakes. I love em and play then a lot actually, but I'm not going to fucking sit here and tell someone to play that fixed camera, bad control shit JUST cause I like it, I have to separate myself from that and address that as best I can without just going full RE fanz on people lol

Sure, I'm very glad they're doing all of them - but I'm saying that Code Veronica is the worst of the old mainline series and they seem to have skipped it. Unless they really are planning on going back and doing 1 again in the new style as well, then CV.

Actually, I forgot 0, 0 is worse than CV. But at the same time it's nowhere near as important to the seres.

EDMIX

Are we talking about Village that was released over a year ago? The one where we are still waiting for the long promised expansions and Re:Verse?
Just seems like a lot of effort going into a game that many have played numerous times before. RE4 HD is great and still holds up great. Just give me new content.

1. Different teams.
2. You can still play RE4 HD, I'm sure it holds up.....this remake isn't being made cause it can't hold up so....I'm not even sure where that naïve shit is even coming from as if the company is only making remakes to have games "hold up" that don't lol They are making this for money.....thats it.
3. DLC is still coming, RE-Verse is still coming, note 1. different teams.....
4. You NEVER fucking played RE4 REMAKE before in the new RE engine, so I don't know about this whole "have played numerous times before", none of you played this shit before unless you work for Capcom and played that beta lol

Ristifer

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

awkward entertainment GIF

chixdiggit

1. Different teams.
2. You can still play RE4 HD, I'm sure it holds up.....this remake isn't being made cause it can't hold up so....I'm not even sure where that naïve shit is even coming from as if the company is only making remakes to have games "hold up" that don't lol They are making this for money.....thats it.
3. DLC is still coming, RE-Verse is still coming, note 1. different teams.....
4. You NEVER fucking played RE4 REMAKE before in the new RE engine, so I don't know about this whole "have played numerous times before", none of you played this shit before unless you work for Capcom and played that beta lol
You literally just replied with a bunch of nonsense.

1. And? What does that have to do with me preferring that team work on something new with RE?
2. Thanks for backing up my point, I guess? Glad we agree on something.
3. Yes, at least a year and a half after game was released. This was in response to the quoted poster that just told me they released a new RE game.
4. What does that have to do with anything? It's still the same story, same gameplay, same maps we all played before.

It looks great. I will play it because I love RE:4. I just wish I was getting something new instead.

sainraja

This is Resident Evil 4 Remake, not The Last of Us Part 1.

Remakes are supose to be different, not just a graphic bump.
Both RE4 and TLOU: P1 are going to be different from their previous games — the teams are just focusing on different things. I still expect that RE4 will follow the original storyline to an extent though.

So basically the remake won't have anything to do with the original game?
Nah, it will finally be what it should have been from the get-go. The parts that might be missing isn't what made it a RE game anyway.

1. And? What does that have to do with me preferring that team work on something new with RE?
RE: Village is the type of new you are going to get so these remakes is our best bet to get what RE should be like.

Last edited:

EDMIX

2. Thanks for backing up my point, I guess? Glad we agree on something.
3. Yes, at least a year and a half after game was released. This was in response to the quoted poster that just told me they released a new RE game.
4. What does that have to do with anything? It's still the same story, same gameplay, same maps we all played before.

It looks great. I will play it because I love RE:4. I just wish I was getting something new instead.

1. Capcom is already working on something new, they have many RE teams, not 1, as in...its not an either or.
2. We can have both RE4HD and RE4 Remake, we both win lol
3.Sucks it took a long time, but we are still getting that DLC and that MP mode, that has nothing to do with RE4 remake as they are different teams.
4. Has everything to do with this, the claim that you or anyone of us played this before many times is odd, you played the original, this is a remake, they literally say reimagining.

So....the story might be different or fixed some plot holes or added some stuff, the gameplay very likely will add elements of modern gaming, the area is even different in terms of the layout and clearly how it looks.

So you and I played a game called RE4 before, we didn't however play this remake. It would be semantical to say such a thing.

We'll be getting lots of new things as the team is currently working on RE9 anyway. This team that does this just does their remake, remaster stuff.
I'm 99% sure they also have some other RE team that is making something right now too.

sainraja sainraja agreed. Lots to add to RE4 with that original concept stuff too, that early footage looks so different then what we ended up with RE4, its cool to see that play it to some extent. I wonder if they'll add in that weird ghost stuff in some mode as a spoof lol

Last edited:

Fake

Both RE4 and TLOU: P1 are going to be different from their previous games — the teams are just focusing on different things. I still expect that RE4 will follow the original storyline to an extent though.

RE4 Remake will have a different story based on the RE4 premisse, more horror focused with less action and no 'help me Leon', as mention by the director himself. His objective will be the same, save the president kid, but the flow of the story will be different.

TLOUSpart1 will be the same, maybe the hospital scene will get change to reflect TLOUSpart2.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Yes........ONE year ago. You just got a new game. Don't be the "that" kind of gamer. These developers aren't slaves you know.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Having them skip last gen, I'd expect it to look much better than RE2R. For the time being, it just doesn't. Maybe they hit a wall with the engine?
Waiting for a gory wake-up roundhouse kick in the face next time they show it

ok, now I see it.
Nah, you were right the first time.

This looks more or less on par with RE8. Slightly better visuals, definitely better character models but not a generational leap.

This will most likely release on PS4. Remember, they announced RE8 as a next gen only game at first.

sainraja

RE4 Remake will have a different story based on the RE4 premisse, more horror focused with less action and no 'help me Leon', as mention by the director himself. His objective will be the same, save the president kid, but the flow of the story will be different.

TLOUSpart1 will be the same, maybe the hospital scene will get change to reflect TLOUSpart2.
The game taking a horror focused approach and being less action isn't changing the story though. It will still take place in the same area, and as you mentioned, the goal of the story was for Leon to rescue the president's daughter which is still the case. I know what you are getting at but I don't see those elements as story changes.

And yes, when they revealed Part 1, the first thing I thought of was they were going to change the hospital scene.

SlimySnake

Both are remakes. Just one is more of a traditional remake with level design changes, revamped boss fights and new cutscenes whereas ND is basically taking the existing cutscenes and level design and upgrading the assets while bringing the gameplay mechanics and A.I to TLOU2 level.

I would personally prefer the RE4 approach to remakes, but lots of work is being done to upgrade both games. Maybe Naughty Dog surprises us and changes the level design as well. Neil did say that there will be more exploration so maybe they are redesigning the levels just like capcom.

Fake

Both are remakes. Just one is more of a traditional remake with level design changes, revamped boss fights and new cutscenes whereas ND is basically taking the existing cutscenes and level design and upgrading the assets while bringing the gameplay mechanics and A.I to TLOU2 level.

I would personally prefer the RE4 approach to remakes, but lots of work is being done to upgrade both games. Maybe Naughty Dog surprises us and changes the level design as well. Neil did say that there will be more exploration so maybe they are redesigning the levels just like capcom.

The RE4 remake looks more than a reboot than a remake, but I agree with you. Both are remakes, but RE4 looks more focus on remaking instead of stick with the graphics showcase.

Bartski

Gold Member
Nah, you were right the first time.

This looks more or less on par with RE8. Slightly better visuals, definitely better character models but not a generational leap.

This will most likely release on PS4. Remember, they announced RE8 as a next gen only game at first.
more or less on par but with much higher resolution and model detail. Not that I give a shit, I want to see more detail in gameplay, with focus on where org RE4 innovated the genre the most - the combat.

Fake

The game taking a horror focused approach and being less action isn't changing the story though. It will still take place in the same area, and as you mentioned, the goal of the story was for Leon to rescue the president's daughter which is still the case. I know what you are getting at but I don't see those elements as story changes.

And yes, when they revealed Part 1, the first thing I thought of was they were going to change the hospital scene.

Of course will dude, unless you never played the original. The game have a plenty, but a loads of cheese parts that totally destroy the momentul.

Look what I posted, the plot will be the same, Leon to go rescue the president daughter and will save her and get her alive from there. The part of the story that will be not changed stop here. There is more than the synopsis going on in this RE4make.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Not sure why you guys are arguing over how much different RE4 Remake will be. The tonal shift alone guarantees it will be vastly different than the original. I don't expect a single boss fight to be similar to it's counterpart in the original. I just hope they do not cut anything. I want this game to be as long as the original RE4.

SlimySnake

more or less on par but with much higher resolution and model detail. Not that I give a shit, I want to see more detail in gameplay, with focus on where org RE4 innovated the genre the most - the combat.
I really hope they revamp the combat. RE2 was fun, but the combat already felt dated by RE3 even with the new dodge button. I hate to say it but I wouldnt mind a more melee focused return to RE6 combat.

The RE4 remake looks more than a reboot than a remake, but I agree with you. Both are remakes, but RE4 looks more focus on remaking instead of stick with the graphics showcase.
Yep. Though the first village area in the trailer looks pretty much identical layout wise, so Im not sure if it will a drastic reboot like RE2 and RE3 where they pretty much had to reimagine everything due to original being a much smaller game. RE4 is still fairly modern when it comes to level design.

For TLOU2, I hope they expand on the boss fights. I love the boss fights in RE2 and RE3. The bloater boss fight in the School Gymanism is going to feel very dated if they dont redesign it. Maybe instead of just one small gym, they can have the fight take place in the entire school with the bloater bursting through walls like it does in TLOU2.

MiguelItUp

I was really hoping we were gonna see some combat gameplay during the Capcom stream, which I felt like was already a big ask, but hey, soon enough! Really excited about this though, also curious regarding how much it will change or have new content put it.

Orpheum

The only possible way they can mess this up is by removing large chunks of the game again. Do it like the RE2 remake, not the RE3 remake

Aside from that it looks absolutely fantastic

Fake

The only possible way they can mess this up is by removing large chunks of the game again. Do it like the RE2 remake, not the RE3 remake

Making a game so much story focused is like a double edge sword. Is a risk move.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member

Aside from that it looks absolutely fantastic
To be fair though, the original RE3 wasn’t any longer than the Remake. By far the shortest of the classic RE.

sainraja

Of course will dude, unless you never played the original. The game have a plenty, but a loads of cheese parts that totally destroy the momentul.

Look what I posted, the plot will be the same, Leon to go rescue the president daughter and will save her and get her alive from there. The part of the story that will be not changed stop here. There is more than the synopsis going on in this RE4make.
I played the original. I think I am just not understanding you then...the cheesy aspects aren't story elements for me; they may influence the 'feel' of the game. The story structure is still the same in the new game, they are just changing the mood to match the seriousness of the situation and environment Leon finds himself in. For me, this is going back to what RE is supposed to be.

RE4 introduced action and cheesiness to the series (I know the dialogue in the game can be considered cheesy but I don't think that was the intention).

To be fair though, the original RE3 wasn’t any longer than the Remake. By far the shortest of the classic RE.
I still think they should have added the clocktower portion. RE3 was my most played game and I was sooo looking forward to being able to visit all the locations but not all of those made it in.

Last edited:

Fake

I played the original. I think I am just not understanding you then...the cheesy aspects aren't story elements for me; they may influence the 'feel' of the game. The story structure is still the same in the new game, they are just changing the mood to match the seriousness of the situation and environment Leon finds himself in. For me, this is going back to what RE is supposed to be.

RE4 introduced action and cheesiness to the series (I know the dialogue in the game can be considered cheesy but I don't think that was the intention).

I still think they should have added the clocktower portion. RE3 was my most played game and I was sooo looking forward to being able to visit all the locations but not all of those made it in.

They're dude. I mean, the family that take control over the village? Leon don't give a fuck about them, but in REVIllage looks like what suppose to be the RE4 in this aspect.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Played it on gamecube

Played it on ps2

Pc higher res

New controls on wii

Switch console

And last replay was In VR on quest..

Can’t fucking wait

Bartski

Gold Member
I really hope they revamp the combat. RE2 was fun, but the combat already felt dated by RE3 even with the new dodge button. I hate to say it but I wouldnt mind a more melee focused return to RE6 combat.
My biggest worry is this being another game of their remake template, playing exactly like RE2R and RE3R in a new setting looking a bit prettier. I hope they show more of it soon

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Yeah, I know what you mean. Just wanted to point this out. No excuses for Capcom. Just replayed RE3 Remake the other week and even though I like it a lot it is quite barebones and Capcom should have done better.

SlimySnake

My biggest worry is this being another game of their remake template, playing exactly like RE2R and RE3R in a new setting looking a bit prettier. I hope they show more of it soon
I am gonna get a lot of hate from RE fans over this, but TLOU2's mobility and mechanics in RE4 would be godly. A TLOU game with RE bosses and level design would be the greatest game ever.

Koenigssee

Played the OG so many times that i don't really care if the remake is completely different but bring back the laser sight or at least the blipping dotted line in RE6

Bartski

Gold Member
I am gonna get a lot of hate from RE fans over this, but TLOU2's mobility and mechanics in RE4 would be godly. A TLOU game with RE bosses and level design would be the greatest game ever.
I agree 100%. 2023 update of where RE4 org innovated combat of the genre - more mobility more tactical hit reactions on ememies and more fucking karate kicks

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Welcome back to the world of survival horror! With the Resident Evil 4 Remake soon to be released, here's a look at how the graphics compare from the original to the remake. What do you think of the RE4 Remake, let us know what your thoughts are on these new and improved graphics!

Last edited:
Top Bottom