• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake - New Details and Pictures Revealed

Nankatsu

I honestly think it looks really good and I'm happy with the gameplay changes.

Tim And Eric Idk GIF

Urban

Maybe some of you should wait till there is new directfeed material?

Looks ok just like the original game

xrnzaaas

Pretty funny how teams responsible for DS and RE4 remakes have both decided to add side missions. I'm okay with that if the content will be interesting (the ones in Dead Space lacked cool new locations or maybe a new boss fight).

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I don't get the hype. Seems like the same game but with modified stuff which could arguably make the game worse.
They changed the lighting, changed the atmosphere, made a new and soulless UI, put in gameplay changes just because... nah, not for me, although I might get it later at a discount to check it out since I guess the game will still be fun to play.

Imo, RE2 and RE3 remakes made sense, but this one doesn't.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The fuck does this even mean
I just don't like how every UI nowadays looks the same. White and sterile icons and lines, no context, no personality.

7EB63am.jpg

Without any context, if you'd look at the image of the left, you'll immediately recognize it as the RE4 map screen. Do the same with the one on the right and I'll bet it'd took you some time to realize, since it looks just about the same as any other modern game.

It's the smallest of my concerns with this remake, but I don't like it.

Spaceman292

Banned
I just don't like how every UI nowadays looks the same. White and sterile icons and lines, no context, no personality.

7EB63am.jpg

Without any context, if you'd look at the image of the left, you'll immediately recognize it as the RE4 map screen. Do the same with the one on the right and I'll bet it'd took you some time to realize, since it looks just about the same as any other modern game.

Oh gosh the map is a slightly different colour preorder cancelled

CuNi

7EB63am.jpg

Hold up.
I played through that game a dozen of times.. did it always have a map!?
Did I miss a whole map-section!?!?!

TintoConCasera

The actual game is meant to have 'soul'. The UI is meant to impart information. If it's Persona 5 or Hifi Rush the UI can be all crazy, but this is a horror game.
Dead Space is an horror game too and it has one of the best UIs in all of gaming. It's not just about imparting information, it's about being cohesive and making sense. That's why Persona 5 and Hi-Fi Rush have such stylized UIs, because they fit in the game.
I mean, why change it in the RE4 remake? They could have remade the old look, or they could have made something completely new. Instead, they made the same lazy and boring UI as every other modern game seems to be doing. Feels uninspired.

But hey I don't want to make this look like a weird rant on modern UIs, so I'll repeat what I said earlier: among all the things that worry me about this remake, the UI is the lesser one.
I bet the game will be fun to play, it's just that I don't get the hype as much as I got it when RE2 remake was announced, as imo that remake made much more sense than this one.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Goodluck to anyone playing this game for the first time or replaying the game again

Me personally im not going through this anymore and done with RE4 so have fun enjoy the game

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
Dead Space is an horror game too and it has one of the best UIs in all of gaming. It's not just about imparting information, it's about being cohesive and making sense. That's why Persona 5 and Hi-Fi Rush have such stylized UIs, because they fit in the game.
I mean, why change it in the RE4 remake? They could have remade the old look, or they could have made something completely new. Instead, they made the same lazy and boring UI as every other modern game seems to be doing. Feels uninspired.

But hey I don't want to make this look like a weird rant on modern UIs, so I'll repeat what I said earlier: among all the things that worry me about this remake, the UI is the lesser one.
I bet the game will be fun to play, it's just that I don't get the hype as much as I got it when RE2 remake was announced, as imo that remake made much more sense than this one.
Minimalist UIs are just as good. I'd say the UI in the Last of Us games is fantastic, but that's because you barely see it.

Anyway I do agree this whole remake is pretty needless. RE2 and RE3 are old as fuck, but RE4 still looks good.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Why is it snowing in that video clip?

also, quite framey in some of those clips. Stuttering. Hmmmmmm

Last edited:

cireza

Banned

7EB63am.jpg

Original map is much nicer indeed. But nowadays you need to have that generic presentation everywhere.

Looks pretty good. Wonder if this will run on Steam Deck eventually? That would be fun on a portable.

Will probably just buy for my xsx. Liking everything I am hearing about it so far. No qte's ? Yes please.

I bet whatever the hardest mode is for this game will be a worthy challenge.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Hell yeah. I am getting two copies.

Looks pretty good. Wonder if this will run on Steam Deck eventually? That would be fun on a portable.

Will probably just buy for my xsx. Liking everything I am hearing about it so far. No qte's ? Yes please.

I bet whatever the hardest mode is for this game will be a worthy challenge.
I bet it will. The other two remakes play well on the Deck.

Last edited:

TonyK

This is what rain looked like in games 7 years ago. I swear after Dead Space, Gotham knights and Forspoken, we are actually producing worse graphics than we did in 2015-2016.

giphy.gif
That's not "gameS", in plural. That's Uncharted. We can't use Naughty Dog games as reference for a whole console generation. If that was the case, no one single PS5 game has better gameplay animations than PS4, because of Last of Us 2. But that was a gem, a single game, an exception not representative of the PS4 generation.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
That's not "gameS", in plural. That's Uncharted. We can't use Naughty Dog games as reference for a whole console generation. If that was the case, no one single PS5 game has better gameplay animations than PS4, because of Last of Us 2. But that was a gem, a single game, an exception not representative of the PS4 generation.
It was multiple games but then i decided not to spam the thread with gifs so i posted them in the graphics fidelity thread instead.

Lol at the rain effects in RE4.

MTrrnYw.gif

This is what ND was doing last gen.

giphy.gif

d161cbe36ecaad2c455298d62c0b051a78bc5a66.gif
\

And Rocksteady in 2015.

batmobile-tank-mode.gif

This looks more like Days Gone's snow lol

LikablePersonalChimpanzee-size_restricted.gif

2023 was supposed to save us from cross gen mediocrity but man Forspoken, Dead Space and now RE4?? we are in for another rough year.

TintoConCasera

I agree; there’s something just very off about most of the models in the RE Engine to me. Or whatever this engine is called
Is it engine related? Faces look fine in other RE Engine games, like SF6 or MH:Rise.

I just hope they don't fuck faces up in Dragon's Dogma 2. :goog_relieved:

XXL

Please let me play the entire thing in VR on day 1
I think it'll be added later. RE8 VR needs it's time to shine in VR, RE4 VR would be an issue in that regard for Capcom. It has to be coming though and if RE4 VR on Quest 2 is any indication, we are in for a real treat with this one.

Nickolaidas

Yes, that's the only difference.

No wonder you think the remake looks good :messenger_tears_of_joy:
The fact that you don't is literally :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Lemme guess, you also think that the PSX version of RE1 was a lot more atmospheric than the Gamecube remake? Cause that's what you sound like.

Hey guys, check it out - apparently this
pXa78JW.png

is a LOT more atmospheric than this.
6mXiVz3.png

This
s6piWIF.png

is a lot more atmospheric than this
5tn0kea.png

Maybe you'd want them to go 'back to the roots' and do it like this?
gGW5ovM.png

Last edited:

Jesb

Looks good and very much looking forward to it. I do wish it was current gen only. RE4 was known for being one of top looking games when it came out and this is nowhere near that. That rain is pretty bad lmao.

TintoConCasera

The fact that you don't is literally :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Lemme guess, you also think that the PSX version of RE1 was a lot more atmospheric than the Gamecube remake? Cause that's what you sound like.

Hey guys, check it out - apparently this
pXa78JW.png

is a LOT more atmospheric than this.
6mXiVz3.png

This
s6piWIF.png

is a lot more atmospheric than this
5tn0kea.png

atmosphere isn't just graphics, mate

TintoConCasera

Then tell me in what exact way is the original more atmospheric than the remake, based on what we've seen.

How exactly does the original ooze more atmosphere than the remake?
I never said it's better or worse, just different, which for a remake is a miss imo.

Kind of like what happened with the Demon's Souls remake: they focused on adding as much stuff to the environments as possible and as many lighting effects as possible to make it look technically better, losing the original atmosphere of the game in the process.

Gorgyles

Banned
Atmosphere isn't easily defined for the undiscerning FunkoPop Crunchyroll crowd.
They're going to love everything no matter what anyway.

I'd say atmosphere is a product of high level artistry applied in a way designed to immerse and elicit feeling.

It's easier to put your finger on elements that are atmosphere-breaking like that rain.

Last edited:
Top Bottom