• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake Story Hasn't Been Shortened Following Fan Feedback

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Resident-Evil-4-Remake-Ashley-Graham.jpg

The issue was brought to light due to the negative feedback following the release of the Resident Evil 3 Remake, which many believed to be a watered-down version of its original counterpart. It lacked a number of enemies, such as the giant spiders and the grave digger boss fight, and also tampered with Nemesis' forms.

Various locations were also removed from the remake, such as the iconic clock tower, the park, the graveyard, and many other important areas. The 'live selections' choice system; which gave players a sense of freedom and choice about the encounters and ending outcomes was scrapped entirely as well.

"When we started production on RE4 we looked into what people thought was good [in the RE2 and RE3 remakes] and what could've been done better. One example is the play time for RE4 is about the same as the original game." — Yoshiaki Hirabayashi

Capcom's new policy is to give "more" to the players, as we have seen from the latest extended gameplay showcase. Some significant revamps to the original include more versatility in movements and adding the ability to dodge, crouch, and parry attacks, as well as exchange collectibles for items. Thankfully, nothing was added at the expanse of any original features.

As producer Hirabayashi said, it's very important to preserve the length of the entire campaign. His words still contain vagueness to them about how he will keep the length while enhancing the protagonist's movement speed and fighting capabilities; which could shorten the play time drastically, but we will have to wait and see exactly how the remake turns out.

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Story hasn't been shortened, but maybe locations and/or enemies are?
Maybe it got lost in translation but this answer seems a little off. Far better it would've been if they had just said something like- 'no location or enemy or other element has been cut'.

SSfox

ill-believe-that-when-i-see-it-prove-it.gif

Man seeing those things missing from re3 l aid out like that really hurts
This.

One of the most iconic moment that it often come to mind when i think about RE3 is when Zombies in cemetary come out from underground. It's not like they removed some whatever stuffs, they removed some of the most defining moments and aspects of RE3R, smh (yeah, i'm renting about this game again, for the 645455th time)

SF5 got backlash, but RE3 should have got way more backlash imo, also SF5 they added all the stuffs that everyone wanted, can't say same about RE3.

tkscz

I can understand them feeling the need to say this with RE3 remake having so much removed and players felt it. This somewhat calms one of my worries with the game (of course there is the chance they are just telling us what we want to hear) but I still have a few more.

JonSnowball

When the game launches then I will believe. This sounds like they are saying whatever the fans wants to hear. "I'ts very important to preserve the lengh of the caimpaign", yeah tell that to RE3 remake.
It's common knowledge RE3Remake was produced by their B team, and had a shorter development cycle overall. This has been repeated countless times, verified, backed up, ejaculated, blown into your eyes, and rubbed into your pubic hair.

That's good to hear.

I'm wondering if they are gonna change up the island section? I know a lot of people dislike it but it has some cool stuff like the lab and regenerators
They need to and I'm hoping the fans didn't scare them too much from doing so. The second half of the game has a few odd pacing issues and the island is a big part of that.

EDMIX

I don't even know how that shit would be measured

All the lines are the same? The same story shit happens? lol

The story in this game is so fucking bad, I could care less if it was shortened, trust me...most of us are not playing RE4 for that trash story. The gameplay was so amazing, they story is a forgettable, afterthought that making no sense was irrelevant for many fans.

It was a day 1 even if you told me that story was changed, shorten, made longer...I simply don't give a shit

This man is sent to rescue the presidents daughter with a fucking handgun, breaks in to a persons house and then kills them for defending themselves in their own home lol

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
They need to and I'm hoping the fans didn't scare them too much from doing so. The second half of the game has a few odd pacing issues and the island is a big part of that.

I've never felt like the island was a hindrance. The game is split nicely into distinct chunks, each focusing on (to some degree) exploring the different ways one genre and control style could be utilized in three different flavors. Be grateful the restraint shown here, the next time this design philosophy was used it was campaigns as the game pieces and not thirds of one title as it is here.

EDMIX

Yeah this is not the same team that made Resident Evil 3 Remake they don't want to fuck this up it will be the real deal

Fuck does that have to do with anything? I don't think that team made that choice, I think that was Capcom internally, as in Capcom owns the RE ip, not the team...thus I doubt what team would make it would matter based on why that was skipped, shortened etc

So even if the very same team did it, it would never tell us if that would be shortened.

bender

What time is it?
Fuck does that have to do with anything? I don't think that team made that choice, I think that was Capcom internally, as in Capcom owns the RE ip, not the team...thus I doubt what team would make it would matter based on why that was skipped, shortened etc

So even if the very same team did it, it would never tell us if that would be shortened.

I think it's more about the prestige of the title. I doubt they'll skimp out on RE4 as it's one of if not the most revered title in the franchise.

I've never felt like the island was a hindrance. The game is split nicely into distinct chunks, each focusing on (to some degree) exploring the different ways one genre and control style could be utilized in three different flavors. Be grateful the restraint shown here, the next time this design philosophy was used it was campaigns as the game pieces and not thirds of one title as it is here.
I am grateful. Resident Evil 4 is my number 2 game of all time. However, as a big fan of any game you have to be willing to notice it's flaws. The second half of the game has pacing issues and areas(and bosses) that felt like padding. Those areas and moments could be tightened up or served to the player differently in a more fun way. No one is saying to remove the island or anything else for that matter, I'm simply asking for them to treat it better this time around and make it more meaningful.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i think they will cut certain part and there will be new parts as well.

EDMIX

I think it's more about the prestige of the title. I doubt they'll skimp out on RE4 as it's one of if not the most revered title in the franchise.

True, but its story is also very bare and like a tunnel.

The meat of RE4 is that gameplay loop and because its not set up like the older RE titles, there isn't much to skip anyway

Astral Dog

It has a lot to do with it.

The team was changed because they both had different visions on how to handle the remake, to ensure the highest quality possible Capcom decided to develop RE4 internally (or with the remake 2 team).

Even considering their respective releases, fans prefer Resident Evil 2 to M two Resident Evil 3, in terms of level design,story, controls etc

RE3 (if we go with the rumors) was a side project to prepare M two for RE4, but ultimately Capcom decided to make it with the main team

And i believe they made the right choice, we are going to get the highest quality possible with the most experienced team

EDMIX

It has a lot to do with it.

The team was changed because they both had different visions on how to handle the remake, to ensure the highest quality possible Capcom decided to develop RE4 internally (or with the remake 2 team).

Yea that sounds unlikely lol

Like...really, really fake.

The team is directed by the publisher, they own RE, not the fucking team, they don't just hand out games and be like "do what evz, you do you" lol

Thats not how none of that shit works.
I'm sure the team doing RE4 is a better team and thats why it was selected, but I call horseshit on some "different visions" that isn't how publishers deal with any of that as its their IP, they are not just allowing RE to turn into so Battle Royal kart racer Diablo clone (fucking sounds fun now that I think about lol)

Thats like saying they picked a different team cause one team was like "we funa skip the whole ending, shit half the game even, never mind how it ends with a boss, we want it ending in a Taco Bell in a fire fight wit da FBI" lol

So what was skipped with 3 has more to do with Capcom oking something to shorten that dev time to get it out in a certain time frame, no one is owning that IP and just allowing anything regardless or something to really try to pretend the team solely had that planned and poor ole capcom should have went with a more experienced team, that simply doesn't make sense. RE3 remake was still a game that moved millions, still very much a working title and merely had that tower area skipped, added I doubt it was some fucking GOTY thing to really exaggerate that shit down to "vision" or "experience" as if they were given free reign over it or something.

They simply removed it to get it out in time as that would be a Capcom move, not a team move. Capcom owns the RE IP.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Yea that sounds unlikely lol

Like...really, really fake.

The team is directed by the publisher, they own RE, not the fucking team, they don't just hand out games and be like "do what evz, you do you" lol

Thats not how none of that shit works.
I'm sure the team doing RE4 is a better team and thats why it was selected, but I call horseshit on some "different visions" that isn't how publishers deal with any of that as its their IP, they are not just allowing RE to turn into so Battle Royal kart racer Diablo clone (fucking sounds fun now that I think about lol)

Thats like saying they picked a different team cause one team was like "we funa skip the whole ending, shit half the game even, never mind how it ends with a boss, we want it ending in a Taco Bell in a fire fight wit da FBI" lol
Yeah well, they still thought the change was neccessary.

And i don't think they care as much for Resident Evil 3 as they do Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 4, wich is why they okayed all the crazy changes in that remake, they wanted to see how it was recieved

again there is nothing wrong with the change, main team has more experienced RE4 developers, its not just about the quantity of content but quality as well, they want the experience to be as close as possible to the original

Last edited:

EDMIX

Yeah well, they still thought the change was neccessary.

True, but I don't disagree with the change if they feel a team is better experienced, merely that I don't believe THAT is why that area was skipped in RE3 remake.

That sounds like a publisher move to get the game out on some time or date or something. Enough of RE3 remake is a complete, working, perfectly normal title...we've seen some trainwrecks and nothing in RE3 remake is some huge disaster or something functionally, so I don't think that area is gone cause they team has issues or something, so they can make all of what we saw in RE3 remake, but that 1 tower is just tooooooo hard? lol Doubt. It merely sounds like a move done by Capcom and not the team itself independently or something. I do believe the team doing RE4 is better, I simply don't believe that area missing in Remake 3 is because the other team was worse.

And i don't think they care as much for Resident Evil 3 as they do Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 4, wich is why they okayed all the crazy changes in that remake, they wanted to see how it was recieved

True, I agree with this a great deal. RE3 even when I was younger was always the red headed step child of the RE titles until RE5 and 6 took that crown lol Looking back in hindsight, that game really wasn't THAT bad, I just think we all like RE2 a lot and had huge hopes for 3 or something. So the remake 3 being received lessor then part 2 is pretty much how the original was received anyway.

again there is nothing wrong with the change, main team has more experienced RE4 developers, its not just about the quantity of content but quality as well, they want the experience to be as close as possible to the original

Agreed, but I feel that is easier to do in 4 as it doesn't have much backtracking like the older titles, regardless it does make sense to put the best team on 4 considering its appeal and how the fanbase feels about it. Based on how RE plays now, they can get that feel pretty damn close as all the RE's after 4 are far superior in regards to movement, gameplay etc, so the remake should be beyond what that original was in that respect anyway.

Astral Dog

True, but I don't disagree with the change if they feel a team is better experienced, merely that I don't believe THAT is why that area was skipped in RE3 remake.

That sounds like a publisher move to get the game out on some time or date or something. Enough of RE3 remake is a complete, working, perfectly normal title...we've seen some trainwrecks and nothing in RE3 remake is some huge disaster or something functionally, so I don't think that area is gone cause they team has issues or something, so they can make all of what we saw in RE3 remake, but that 1 tower is just tooooooo hard? lol Doubt. It merely sounds like a move done by Capcom and not the team itself independently or something. I do believe the team doing RE4 is better, I simply don't believe that area missing in Remake 3 is because the other team was worse.

True, I agree with this a great deal. RE3 even when I was younger was always the red headed step child of the RE titles until RE5 and 6 took that crown lol Looking back in hindsight, that game really wasn't THAT bad, I just think we all like RE2 a lot and had huge hopes for 3 or something. So the remake 3 being received lessor then part 2 is pretty much how the original was received anyway.

Agreed, but I feel that is easier to do in 4 as it doesn't have much backtracking like the older titles, regardless it does make sense to put the best team on 4 considering its appeal and how the fanbase feels about it. Based on how RE plays now, they can get that feel pretty damn close as all the RE's after 4 are far superior in regards to movement, gameplay etc, so the remake should be beyond what that original was in that respect anyway.
If you want to blame Capcom, fine. i respect that because i know as well Capcom can be a clumsy publisher 🤭

just this specific project, the fact they were willing to change teams and reboot development, because they weren't ok with how Resident Evil 4 was turning out on M two and had a few disagreements, i thought it was well worth mentioning, makes me assume they simply don't want another RE3 Remake, or even RE2R, but the best outcome possible with the goal to surpass Resident Evil 4

And that's hella impressive coming from Capcom 😄 they got my pre order and i wasn't even that interested in a RE4 Remake

Astral Dog

Stupid. Fans don’t know what they want.

RE 4, while the best in the series, had wY too much forgettable stuff near the end.
While i felt RE4 was a little bloated, they don't want to cut as much content this time because fans(and reviewers) will surely complain

RE4 still has way more good than bad, i just hope its not an exact same copy.
They release a 10 hour Resident Evil 4 and its an endless shitstorm

Last edited:

laynelane

I really hope they keep to the original as much as possible. Areas, characters, enemies, story, and tone. I'm keeping expectations in check, though, until I play the actual game.

Robb

Gold Member
I hope so but we’ll see.. Would be a real shame if it ended up like RE3 where I’d rather just re-play the original.

-Zelda-

Banned
As much as I like Re3 remake, it really does need 5-7 more hours of content added to it somehow. Some sort of directors cut that adds some locations back in?

Rran

RE4 is legendary. Mess with it too much and people will complain. Mess with it too little and people will complain.

I really don't think a remake is necessary at all for this game. But the remake also looks pretty good. So I'm conflicted. The duality of RE4.

gow3isben

RE3 remake was way better than RE2 remake imo in terms of pure fun and enjoyment. And I like Leon way more than Jill.

Prepare for some quality action on the island, as well as in the second part of the castle, man.. I need to replay the original game right now.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I think that for RE4 it is very easy for them to 1:1 Remake without having to cut anything as basically every room in the game is it’s own setpiece. So just go through it one by one and Remake it. RE2 and 3 on the other hand were much more difficult since the gameplay mechanics of it were entirely different and hence they had to revamp each level from the ground up.

Bottom line: Don’t fuck this up Capcom.

Stuart360

Honestly they are treading dodgy ground with this remake, much more than 2 and 3 due to just how beloved Resi 4 is.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Is this the team that made re2 remake or 3? It looks awesome, I'm playing through 3 and it's decent but obviously a lot cut. I think they will do 4 justice over being castrated.

Juza

As long as the guys behind RE2 remake are working on RE4 remake, I have no doubts that it will be another great remake.

Top Bottom