• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake uses 4 DRMs on PC, at the same time

winjer

Gold Member

EMPRESS has cracked Resident Evil 4 Remake, meaning that she was able to successfully bypass the latest version of Denuvo, Denuvo V18.

According to the cracker, Resident Evil 4 Remake used four different DRMs. Alongside Denuvo V18, Capcom has used Denuvo SecureDLC V2, its own Anti-Tamper tech, and VMProtect.

Now as with all cracks, this basically bypasses the aforementioned DRMs. It does not completely remove them, meaning that they are still running in the background. However, the cracked version may have fewer stutters than the retail version. After all, that’s exactly what happened with Resident Evil Village.

Since I’ve finished Resident Evil 4 Remake, I can say that the game only has traversal stutters. These stutters are mainly due to the game streaming data for the next areas. Thus, I believe that the pirated version will also have them. Still, it will be interesting to see a comparison video between them.

As always, we won’t allow links to pirated content. So no, don’t bother sharing any links to it.

It will be interesting to see whether EMPRESS will be able to crack the latest games using Denuvo. Dead Island 2 and Star Wars Jedi: Survivor came after RE4R. Jedi Survivor also uses the EA App, which may be too difficult to bypass. So yeah, I don’t expect this new Star Wars game to be cracked anytime soon.

Why? Because fuck gamers. That's why.
Frustrated This Just In GIF by Homes.com

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
0xEMPRESS

Third Times A Charm is the hint for her next target?
What part 3 game or third rerelease has come out recently?

Regginator

lol, imagine being a loyal, law-abiding (🤓), paying customer and getting 4 DRMs shoved down your throat, while someone who pirates a game doesn't have to pay for a game AND has a more stable game as a result of no DRM.

Has there even been an instance when a game was simply uncrackable?

lol, imagine being a loyal, law-abiding (🤓), paying customer and getting 4 DRMs shoved down your throat, while someone who pirates a game doesn't have to pay for a game AND has a more stable game as a result of no DRM.

Some games remain uncracked for sure, but more due to lack of interest from the cracking groups to do so. Also games with heavy online components typically don't get cracked as the whole point of the game is to play online in servers that require validation.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Uk2bIr6.jpg
Outside of VRAM and DX12 issues - PC port is flawless even with DRM, which is a huge change for good in comparison to RE8 launch. Capcom also has tendency to remove DRM relatively quickly from their games.

skneogaf

I find it crazy that people still pirate video games, they're very cheap once they have been out a while and usually they're better after a while due to patches.

I'm curious what the numbers are for pirating nowadays.

Guilty_AI

This is really hard to determine. Not only there are countless sources of counterfeit and piracy, you also have no way to determine how many of people consuming these products would've acquired the original otherwise.

Some sources claim billions of dollars in losses, others claim it helps with sales by spreading awareness of the product. No one knows basically.

Last edited:
I experienced no stutters at all across two playthroughs totalling 38 hours.

I'd say Resident Evil 4 Remake is probably the most well optimised and competent pc game I've ever played.

Through all that time, I didn't experience a single crash - and I saw no freezing, no hitching, no A.I getting stuck on objects, nothing.

The only thing, and it was in one location (the small farm after the initial village area with the church bell), was one particular texture on the side of a barn being very low resolution for a few seconds.

That's it.

Last edited:
Four layers of DRMs is a bit excessive I would say and makes me wonder just how much performance RE4 Remake is losing because of them?

If I recall correctly, Resident Evil Village launched with an annoying stutter on PC whenever a weapon was fired and it was months before Capcom finally fixed it but only after Digital Foundry did a video and pointed out that it was their own DRM conflicting with Denuvo that was the cause of the issue (so that game had at least two layers of DRM!). Capcom then released a patch to fix this but given how long it took them to fix it, I have a strong feeling that they wouldn't have done anything at all about it until that DF video which was pretty damning. The Steam forums had hundreds of posts and complaints about the issue in the months up to DF videos and they just chose to ignore them.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
Since these tools are being used all the time I can only imagine how many sales they are losing on the global scale. This is a problem just like the cheating issue on PC.

Skifi28

Outside of VRAM and DX12 issues - PC port is flawless even with DRM, which is a huge change for good in comparison to RE8 launch. Capcom also has tendency to remove DRM relatively quickly from their games.
The traversal stutters are really annoying and the console versions don't seem to have them. I wish they would do something about it.

Handball '17, my dude.

Edit: though, if you are going for a game that isnt emulatable, the crowning victor is tourist bus simulator.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
RE4R is too good to have 4 layers of DRM junk holding it down. THat being said, the game runs really well on my system... so no harm no foul.

Still though. Denuvo is junk and should be abolished immediately. same for all the kernel level invasive anticheat as well

hlm666

What is the uplay emulator mentioned in the nfo for? Was that not to do with re4 and the thanks was in that file instead of some ubisoft game? Are there any ubisoft games not cracked yet? and the third times a charm is for one of them that they are using the uplay emulator to crack?

TrueLegend

The traversal stutters are really annoying and the console versions don't seem to have them. I wish they would do something about it.
It's there in every version but traversal stutter is felt more on PC because of very low input lag and fast response times. It's due to systems designed for PS4 era. PC never needed streaming content and modern consoles also don't need them so it's kind of crossgen baggage. I hope we see something from the coalition soon to witness truly optimized UE5 without any legacy issues including shader compilation stutters.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Dead Space has them even 2-3m not matter of PC configuration, RE4 in comparison is smooth af experience and there's not huge VRAM spikes and FPS drops to single digits.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Dead Space has them even 2-3m not matter of PC configuration, RE4 in comparison is smooth af experience and there's not huge VRAM spikes and FPS drops to single digits.
I'm sure we can find games in a worse state, but it's still quite annoying on its own.

JRW

Wow, RE4 still runs surprisingly well in that case and doesn't have the stutter issues RE Village had due to DRM (Stutter went away after Capcom removed DRM).

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I find it crazy that people still pirate video games, they're very cheap once they have been out a while and usually they're better after a while due to patches.

People pirate Vampire Survivors my G.
Thats a 5 dollar game.....it was 2 dollars at some point.

If you look at if you know you know youll see that piracy is still very much alive.
Youll see Elden Ring, God of War 18 and RDR2 are still the most downloaded games to this day..........ohh and the Sims 4.
What is the uplay emulator mentioned in the nfo for? Was that not to do with re4 and the thanks was in that file instead of some ubisoft game? Are there any ubisoft games not cracked yet? and the third times a charm is for one of them that they are using the uplay emulator to crack?
In the "scene" its always best to say thanks to people who have helped you out by providing tools.
Mr_G is known for making store emulators, im guessing 0xEMPRESS already made her own Steam/WinStore/EApp/EGS emulators and uses Gs emulator when she makes Ubisoft cracks.

Yes, Dead Space Remake, that's a game that definitely does have an issue with stuttering.

It almost ruined my experience, but I ended up just ignoring it as best I could.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Protection did its job and stopped copying through the launch window, which is the only time they actually care about.

Roll on Denuvo V19... because that version will be sold to publishers on the same premise.

Top Bottom