• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake uses 4 DRMs on PC, at the same time

ZoukGalaxy

Which finally bother only honest buyers. Pirates getting a better version (performance, true offline, etc...)

Alanis Morissette Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Can I just buy a physical PC disc with a key you enter from the game manual and not have DRM please? Thanks.
Then we will just rip the disc and share the key.

If the key needs to be authenticated then we will just emulate the server and intercept the authentication request.
That would be a 10 minute job (if that) to crack these games.

For context Sonys games dont come with DRM other than Steams DRM......they are cracked the moment all the files are on Steam.
The Steam DRM emulator is currently out in the wild so if a game doesnt have any other DRM, you can literally crack those games yourself in minutes.

I really wish games that were on digital platforms didn't include DRM... It's so stupid...
GOG!

Then we will just rip the disc and share the key.

If the key needs to be authenticated then we will just emulate the server and intercept the authentication request.
That would be a 10 minute job (if that) to crack these games.

For context Sonys games dont come with DRM other than Steams DRM......they are cracked the moment all the files are on Steam.
The Steam DRM emulator is currently out in the wild so if a game doesnt have any other DRM, you can literally crack those games yourself in minutes.

GOG!
Ok, so what if companies create some kind of "key" that regenerates every so often and does an automatic check-in via the internet to re-authenticate against a source of truth--

Oh.

Last edited:

Sho_Gunn

lol, imagine being a loyal, law-abiding (🤓), paying customer and getting 4 DRMs shoved down your throat, while someone who pirates a game doesn't have to pay for a game AND has a more stable game as a result of no DRM.

Has there even been an instance when a game was simply uncrackable?
EA sports titles usually don't get cracked but it doesn't help that most of the games are only playable online.

Buggy Loop

c10.jpg

Just 1 away from this image! Capcom and Denuvo really wants to fuck paying customers in the ass with this DRM.

They don’t even remove it a month after the initial sales.. RE 2 and Village had DRM removed after 2 years I think?

Black_Stride

Ok, so what if companies create some kind of "key" that regenerates every so often and does an automatic check-in via the internet to re-authenticate against a source of truth--

Oh.
anime-anime-girl.gif

Nothing is uncrackable.
Thats what Denuvo v1 was supposed to be.....hell, for a while the Internet said piracy is dead, sites/forums/trackers simply closed down cuz they were not going to get new content.
CPY|CONSPIR4CY showed up.

But some games just never get cracked because no could be bothered to.

Griffon

I never had any issue with any Denuvo enabled games, and more often than not I wasn't aware that said games had denuvo at all.
The DRM successfully preserved the launch sales of the game for months, which is a good thing. I'd call that a success for them.

I find people who moan about Denuvo weird (most likely pirates?).

Last edited:

Eotheod

So was it Capcom that came up with the abbreviation RE4R? Now it seems rather appropriate, when I first saw it I thought it was a word puzzle meaning "4 in the rear"
Hah, didn't even click that it says rear.

DRM as a point of early sale decline due to piracy is fine, however it needs to be removed after 30 days maximum. You also need to ensure your game is polished to a T so that the technology is not fucking over legitimate customers. A lot to ask for in this day and age, but it's better doing that then pushing people to pirate because a dev couldn't be arsed to actually troubleshoot.

Shh

This crap always slows games down on PC. Why do they keep doing this? This is why I stopped gaming on PC and just game exclusively on consoles. I'd buy a game, then I'd have to pirate the game with the DRM garbage removed just so it would be playable. PC gaming is cheaper, but I'd rather pay more for a game on a console than have to jump through hoops to make a game work on PC.

I never had any issue with any Denuvo enabled games, and more often than not I wasn't aware that said games had denuvo at all.
The DRM successfully preserved the launch sales of the game for months, which is a good thing. I'd call that a success for them.

I find people who moan about Denuvo weird (most likely pirates?).
mY eXpErIeNcE iS tHe OnLy OnE tHaT mAtTeRs!

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Why? Because fuck gamers. That's why.
I'd clarify one thing here - anti-tamper != DRM, and it more often than not has nothing 'running in the background' (eg. VMProtect).
Now - DRM often employs Anti-Tamper to protect itself, but it's objectively wrong to say - using VMProtect = +1 DRM solution - it just isn't the case.

Also - for some anti-tamper, removing them is basically impossible without literally rewriting the entire code-block they protect.
Eg: VMProtect encodes protected code with cryptographically secure generated Virtual Machines (yes, multiple - for as many blocks as there are protected), so 'removal' would mean reverse-engineering entirety of protected code, deleting the encrypted version, and replacing it with manually written block of code that is now missing.

So the cracked versions improving performance is increasingly unlikely (and may be wholly impossible in some cases) with types of solutions employed.

Black_Stride

For me it's always away... if a game has denuvo i refuse to buy it
Tested this release yesterday and runs smooth as butter (for scientific purposes only ofc) :messenger_sunglasses:
But the DRMs havent been removed?
They are still there, they are still running, the crack is "just" replying with authentication=OK.

Soooooooooooooooo.........yeah.
You are still playing the game with Denuvo.

Just admit you are a pirate cuz pretty much every Denuvo crack has been a bypass not a removal, Capcom and others are known to update their exes with Denuvo-less versions some month after release cuz the current licensing of Denuvo is i believe month based, you license to use Denuvo for x amounts of months, after that period if you update your game you cant have Denuvo in it....so either stop updating or release the update with Denuvo removed.

P.S:
If anything you are more likely to find more hitches in the bypass version.

But the DRMs havent been removed?
They are still there, they are still running, the crack is "just" replying with authentication=OK.

Soooooooooooooooo.........yeah.
You are still playing the game with Denuvo.

Just admit you are a pirate cuz pretty much every Denuvo crack has been a bypass not a removal, Capcom and others are known to update their exes with Denuvo-less versions some month after release cuz the current licensing of Denuvo is i believe month based, you license to use Denuvo for x amounts of months, after that period if you update your game you cant have Denuvo in it....so either stop updating or release the update with Denuvo removed.

P.S:
If anything you are more likely to find more hitches in the bypass version.
After the game is cracked it's just a matter of time until the publisher removes the DRM and all the paying customers can finally get the performance they deserve on the game they paid for. So this is an absolute net positive for the consumer.

As an aside, the game literally uses less system RAM in the cracked version than in the uncracked one. Checked some comparisons and it was something like 16GB in the cracked version vs 17GB on the original one. Can be fps limiting for many people stuck on 8+8 dual channel.

I haven't had any "hitches" so far, but I've got an overkill beast pc anyway. It's likely more painful for people on mid-low end rigs.

Black_Stride

After the game is cracked it's just a matter of time until the publisher removes the DRM and all the paying customers can finally get the performance they deserve on the game they paid for. So this is an absolute net positive for the consumer.

As an aside, the game literally uses less system RAM in the cracked version than in the uncracked one. Checked some comparisons and it was something like 16GB in the cracked version vs 17GB on the original one. Can be fps limiting for many people stuck on 8+8 dual channel.

I haven't had any "hitches" so far, but I've got an overkill beast pc anyway. It's likely more painful for people on mid-low end rigs.
Thats NOT how Denuvo licensing works.
And the System RAM thing is run to run variance.
Promoting Piracy is bad, and you should feel bad for being a cheapskate for such a good game.

BlackTron

Being confronted with making a decision on how to approach a game full of this stuff usually demotivates me out of the launch/honeymoon period of the game at all, and if I ever get back around to it will be some sale or gamepass shit.

I just don't want to play video games bad enough to pirate a new, big GB title and set it up correctly/be wary of tech issues. The fact that they put the anti-piracy in the game, putting you in a mental loop that motivates you to be a pirate, has already started taking the fun out of gaming from the first moment and I'll just procrastinate or even never play it out of spite.

Being confronted with making a decision on how to approach a game full of this stuff usually demotivates me out of the launch/honeymoon period of the game at all, and if I ever get back around to it will be some sale or gamepass shit.

I just don't want to play video games bad enough to pirate a new, big GB title and set it up correctly/be wary of tech issues. The fact that they put the anti-piracy in the game, putting you in a mental loop that motivates you to be a pirate, has already started taking the fun out of gaming from the first moment and I'll just procrastinate or even never play it out of spite.
Capcom has done the same thing with previous Resident Evil titles, Devil May Cry, and probably a few more.

They release these games with a whole bunch of DRM, then about a year or two later, they remove it.

You should probably wait until that happens.

Like many recent Capcom games published on PC, Resident Evil Village (opens in new tab) included everybody's favourite anti-piracy software Denuvo (opens in new tab)when it launched back in May 2021. Also like many recent Capcom games published on PC, the DRM has quietly been removed.
Bundling PC releases with Denuvo seems like standard practice for Capcom's big games, with Resident Evil 2 Remake (opens in new tab), Resident Evil 3 Remake (opens in new tab), and Monster Hunter (opens in new tab) World all launching with the anti-piracy software included (all of which later had the software removed).

Last edited:

BlackTron

Capcom has done the same thing with previous Resident Evil titles, Devil May Cry, and probably a few more.

They release these games with a whole bunch of DRM, then about a year or two later, they remove it.

You should probably wait until that happens.
Yeah, I know. By the time that happens, I'm usually paying attention to something else. Not that I never go back and play old games (lord knows I do) but many, many lost their chance by losing me in the launch hype window.

StereoVsn

Yeah, I know. By the time that happens, I'm usually paying attention to something else. Not that I never go back and play old games (lord knows I do) but many, many lost their chance by losing me in the launch hype window.
Yep, that's where I am. I wait for the games to have DRM removed but tend to move on, unless it's something that really stays relevant.

Ozriel

M$FT
lol, imagine being a loyal, law-abiding (🤓), paying customer and getting 4 DRMs shoved down your throat, while someone who pirates a game doesn't have to pay for a game AND has a more stable game as a result of no DRM.

Just going to point out that the release says the DRM still runs in the background, and there’s no evidence that the cracked version runs any better than the retail version

DareDaniel

Banned
Finished the 1st chapter. I don't know how it compares to the retail version, but the cracked version runs really good even if it still has a lot of shit running in the background.

Black_Stride

Finished the 1st chapter. I don't know how it compares to the retail version, but the cracked version runs really good even if it still has a lot of shit running in the background.
You dont have the retail to compare against?

Guilty_AI

Seeing some early comparisons, only difference i've notice so far is slightly smaller RAM usage. Around 1-2gb less on high 8gb texture settings

Last edited:

nkarafo

As if the bloated, shitty code in most PC ports wasn't enough.

The real problem is why there's only one person cracking games nowadays.

Where's the competition? Where's are the cracker groups waging war at each other?

Azurro

Banned
omfg, just go away, disengage, you have said literally nothing of substance

I mean, it's ok, some people don't have enough of an income and need to resort to stealing games. For you, it's either eating or paying the developers for the game, I get it.

BTW, promoting piracy on GAF is a no no.

Last edited:
I mean, it's ok, some people don't have enough of an income and need to resort to stealing games. For you, it's either eating or paying the developers for the game, I get it.

BTW, promoting piracy on GAF is a no no.
Fucks sake dude, let go, it's over. You're starting to annoy me with these stupid infantile takes.

Take the hint already...

Go Away Reaction GIF

Top Bottom