• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Review thread

Calverz

Game looks and plays amazing on pc completely maxed out. Game UK however have failed to deliver my collectors edition today (scheduled for Monday) and their pre order dlc codes don’t work. Sooner they go out of business the better.

Luipadre

Played a few hours, im at chapter 3 but i might wait for a few patches. Feels unpolished especially the gfx and performance. Awful input delay, hitches, bad iq, gfx issues like blocky shadows on lake, rainbow artifacts and even the blood effect is buggy on the death screen. Im gonna start waiting on new game releases

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
It is a great game so far, the formula is a winner. I double dipped the chip on Series X and PS5 to go through on both lol. Even took the day off work for it(and running errands). For me the RE recipe is among my favorites in game design. I wish Capcom would do a new game in the RE2make and 4 style. Having recently gone through the OG 4 its neat seeing all the differences and expanded elements. They did some work on this, I commend them.

Here's hoping the new Street Fighter and Dragon's Dogma keep up the quality releases by them!
Have you tried Village in third person mode? Wonder if it plays similar?

Reactions: Isa

Chiggs

A little over 18 years ago, I signed up for GAF--after a year of lurking--to discuss the GameCube release of Resident Evil 4. 18 years is about half my life, and it's crazy to think of an online community being a part of it for so long. Frankly, I hope I'm here for at least another 18 years, God/fate/science-willing.

I wish I still had access to my initial posts, because they'd be fun to revisit/repost. That said, I want to thank EviLore EviLore for providing a great place to discuss games, both then and now.

And thanks again to all of you brilliant bastards for the constant entertainment this forum provides...except that one guy that simply can't admit Jurassic Park's CGI isn't aging well...time to face the music, pal. I know the movie was a formative part of your youth, but the brachiosaurs are truly starting to look like shit.

Also...

...if you green rats can put down the dildos for a second--and the picture of Phil Spencer, you can all line up and kiss my fucking ass.

Last edited:
People were really excited for this and according to the review aggreates scores they were absolutely right. Have fun running through rural Spain and blasting anybody that gets in your way guys.

And press F to pay respect for Ashley's ballistics.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I spawned killed both chainsaw guys and Im not sure if i got two gems. What gems do they drop again?

Cant find the last medellion in the second area. Is it inside a well or something? i looked everywhere.

I have around 50k to spend. Definitely buying the rifle, but not sure what to upgrade. Im tempted to max out the pistol since I figure i will be use it the most, but I dont think this is like RE2 where you are mostly using your pistol. It seems far more action packed considering how theyve given me a shotgun and rifle within the first hour. i would rather upgrade my SMG or rifle if ammo is plentiful.

GenericUser

Missing the blocky textures or stand and shoot mechanic?

Ok whatever, I guess I don't remember much about the original.
i didn't want to anger you, sorry. But it is obvious that the remake changes things quite a lot.
Have a lot of fun with the game.

Last edited:

GymWolf

yay a snake jumped out of a crate at me

just like ole times
I know that feeling

2622903-box%20normal.gif

Last edited:

Isa

Gold Member
Have you tried Village in third person mode? Wonder if it plays similar?
Yeah I went through it when that came out, which was ok. I was noticing the similarities between the two just now. Kind of a sluggishness and the overall world design and assets seem to be shared occasionally. Personally I'm thankful the more linear modern horror elements aren't here though(as far as I know), namely the Beneviento section. I enjoyed the RE 4 elements of Village so they are both fun to progress in doing side stuff, whereas this is straight to the core. I think the overall third person implementation is better in this game over Village. Village felt kind of clunky, this has some oddities but generally feels better.

Astral Dog

Holy shit
that Luis Sera
on the basement got me 🤣 also the tower on the village square is the gift that keeps giving

This game is awesome 👏

ssringo

Holy shit
that Luis Sera
on the basement got me 🤣 also the tower on the village square is the gift that keeps giving

This game is awesome 👏
Subversion of expectations done right.

Props to those using a controller that 100% the shooting range. Some are a bit tricky/tight even with kb/m aiming.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
You can no longer cheese golden eggs. In that farm area in the village early on, after you kill all the enemies, you would save. Then see what eggs the chickens would lay. Then if a golden one is layer, you save, then reload the game and see about getting another golden egg.

It seems like every chicken can only lay one egg per playthrough now.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I wasn't sure if I was going to get this Day 1, just busy with other games and RE4 has never been my go to for RE games. However, Happy Console Gamer sold me on it with his recent video. I ended up getting the digital deluxe last night. Normally I go physical for RE titles but yea, RE4 has just never been that important to me so digital it is out of convenience.

Stoked to play it tonight on the big TV, 65" 4k OLED. Probably gonna take forever to finish cause I'll only be playing it late at night but I'm expecting good things.

I predict I'll enjoy it much more than the OG release.

yes. I said it earlier. Least polished RE game in terms of gfx and performance. It has bad iq, hitches and graphical bugs aswell

thx

I'll continue playing Walking Dead on PSVR2 and finish up Hogwarts Legacy instead.

Don't want my first (and only run) tarnished with a rushed job on an otherwise great game

fart town usa

Gold Member
I find it very strange that a few people in this thread are making it their life's mission to go after this remake with everything in their power and use it as their main argument point as to why the game industry is in a bad place.

I mean you're telling me that out of all the terrible shit that goes on in this industry, the biggest problem right now is a very faithful, high effort remake that has been unanimously praised and even longtime fans who were skeptical of a remake like TheSphereHunter have praised the game as an IMPROVEMENT over the original game.

Just seems strange and all you're doing is showing your true colours of the fact that you were always gonna throw dirt on this game regardless of the outcome.
Well said. 👍

dan76

I've put in 4 hours so far on PC. I love everything about the remake EXCEPT the movement / gunplay. Why have they altered it so that once the crosshair is focused it becomes unfocused if you move it? It wasn't like that in the previous remakes, you could stand still and aim with a focused crosshair. I don't understand this choice. The laser sight improves it somewhat, but there is a lag between Leon's movement and where the laser sight aims. Also, Leon sometimes takes too long to aim, it's like there is too much recovery animation. I miss the snappy gunplay and movement of the original.

But graphics, sound, new map layouts, treasures, stealth everything is fantastic. It difficult too. Just scraping by in Hardcore.

SCB3

Fuck me that Sniping Area in Chapter kinda sucks, I'm not a fan of Enemies straight up only spawning once you hit a certain point of the area and being completely not there until you get there, they always seem to spawn behind you as well, its one thing being a challenge, another being straight unfair, especially early on where the Ammo is rare

Also well done Capcom on this jumpscare:

That Ganado taking a shit in the House, you got me there

• LOL

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Just finished, watching the credits.

Shit this was a good ass game.

Also, ending spoilers:

Clearly setting up a Re5 remake.

Wesker is in and he's monitoring Excella, the stair way from heaven location in RE5 and Chris (right most monitor)

3-24-2023_3-21-45_PM-pdvw5oxt.png

3-24-2023_3-21-50_PM-gt4ouia5.png

The gems can be added to a vanity case or a necklace, or something. I forgot what it was. You can sell the item anyway, but then it's not as valuable without the precious stones. 🥰

Madflavor

Alright, getting close to the end of the Village but I can safely say this game surpasses the Original in the first Act so far. Nearly everything is better. Controls will be subjective, but the exploration, the house defense sequence, Luis, Ashley, it's all great.

What difficulty are people playing this at?
Hardcore. Perfect difficulty and balance so far.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The gems can be added to a vanity case or a necklace, or something. I forgot what it was. You can sell the item anyway, but then it's not as valuable without the precious stones. 🥰

There's a lot of treasure that can be combined.

I'd recommend people not sell off the rubies and emeralds, save them till you find something to stick them in and increase its value.

Top Bottom