• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Review thread

xPikYx

Yeah it's weird. For me it was green and pink flickering pixels. It didn't happen in the Demo at all, or ever happen in any other game for that matter. It happened to me literally at the beginning of the game in the first house where you first are able to use your pistol. Mind you I kept exiting to the game and messing with my audio settings multiple times, then the issue popped up. I exited to the Dashboard and then went back to the game and it was fine after that.

Someone also said in the demo thread it happened to them on Playstation as well.
Of it's the game ok, but you know on pc with oveclock you start thinking all the worst scenarios like faulty card, oveclock, temp spikes etc

Needlecrash

I haven't played so far but i seriously doubt they would cut off the regenerators, i bet all enemies are still in ,maybe they even add some
i don't remember the fat guy with a cow's head he was so creepy
That's because he's a new addition. I think he was planned from the OG version from the concept art but it never materialized.

Needlecrash

My copy
QDyOu48.jpg
What country? Spain?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Ahh got it. The rating symbol looks nice and clean.
Before in Mexico, previous presidents did not care about the rating of video games or violence or the implications for young people. With our current president, he cares about youth and a new classification of Video Games came into force

The classification barely has 4 years of having been approved.

clasificacion-de-videojuegos-mexico-GamersRD.jpeg

Last edited:

Sygma

So how hardcore is hardcore mode?

I played the original but that description sounds like clickbait.

its pretty unforgiving so far, is good. Haven't played RE 4 since the release on Gamecube, didn't even remember you could do stuff like baiting dynamite stick throws to shoot them mid air in order to clear packs of ganados, same with the molotovs

Astral Dog

And im already lost 😅 after getting the 'key' for the church how are you supposed to go back? The tunnel is blocked and i been going in circles

Calverz

Did anyone experience a strange graphic glitch after a while playing this game on pc? Artifacts start appearing on the screen in the form of crazy colours or just strange pixel colors
Didn’t notice this. I had it running all day yesterday. Sometimes on pause and just got Ashley to join me.

I'm stuck on the puzzle with the hexagon shaped pieces. :(

Villagers, please stop sacrificing beautiful women to the lake creature. Then you won't have to base an annoying puzzle around it. ;)

Thank you!

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Small pool before courtyard in chapter 8 contains 4 black bass. If you were lucky enough to obtain the bass healing charm like I was then you're in business. Go back here in chapter 9 and 4 more respawn!
Going back to the rooms with armor dudes and you'll find they are now enemies who drop spindles when killed!

The game is incredible, there is nothing more we could have asked for from a remake of one of the greatest games of all-time, it's that good, another classic. I still feel Mercs should have been in from the start as well as Ada stuff but whatever, I'm overjoyed with what we've got 👌.

EDIT: go back to the pool ch.10 and they respawn again, I'm drowning in fish lol. Only "problem" is that it's random whether you get regular or big black bass which take up much more space. Either way, I'm stocking my storage with 1st aid sprays.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Go back the way you came.
Yeah figures lol but i was trying to find the way back by looking at the map, i didn't remember what way it was,at least it was worth exploring 🤭

i got a short cutscene with the plaga wolves,new files, found a creepy random 'forest altar', a brand new gun, a minigame and a small spot with tons of 🐔 with a golden egg

instant cool boss fight

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Well I'm on xbox and using an elite v2 controller. I watched that deadzone video. I guess I've just got completed the demo enough to not feel the control issue now.

Making all my shots and doing fine. Leon does feel a little heavy though. Especially when crouching

simpatico

Gold Member
Just got through the Church. Heading to the Extraction Zone. What a game! I had high hopes and am still blown away. I've got Red9 fully upgraded and it's a beast. This should be the absolute standard bearer for remakes going forward. Keeps all the aesthetics of the original and adds enough to make it feels very fresh. Love it when a game really delivers.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I want to get this, but I feel like I might be playing it wrong. Tried the demo and is the game expecting you to fight off so many zombies at once, moving so slow? Got to the end of the demo but only cause I kept running away.
The original game you couldn't even move while aiming. Basically the game starts out with this sequence where you are expected to die horribly multiple times while you try new tactics. Try fleeing put of the area, head hacked off with chainsaw. Barricade in building, they surround you and start breaking in. Go up on the roof. They can climb, and holy shit the chainsaw guy can also climb.

This game feels so good to play, where I'm in direct control of the character, like in MGSV, FromSoft games, Dragon's Dogma. Is that because it has little input lag?

RE4 OG and the Remake are also some of the best at having all the treasures and item pickups feel meaningful, too. Probably because there aren't 1,000 variations of the same weapons/items with minimal upgrades each time like in, say, Horizon.

Just did the first troll fight.
They made it even more epic than in the OG. Wolfdog is my best friend. Got a big stupid grin when he showed up.

Made it to the merchant last night. Game is dope, I think I will definitely end up preferring the remake to the OG. Remake so far seems to address every issue I had with the original.

We gaming boys. 👌

Good to see one of GAF's RE enthusiasts giving glowing praise to RE4make! If you have time, I'm interesting in reading your summary of the issues that OG RE4 has, and how the remake addresses them. I'm guessing movement, combat, and/or AI comprise at least one issue?

keefged4

PS5, with a VRR TV, Resolution mode, RT Off, Motion blur and AO off, looks nice and sharp, I'm really not seeing what people are complaining about?

Reactions: Isa

Calverz

Yeah figures lol but i was trying to find the way back by looking at the map, i didn't remember what way it was,at least it was worth exploring 🤭

i got a short cutscene with the plaga wolves,new files, found a creepy random 'forest altar', a brand new gun, a minigame and a small spot with tons of 🐔 with a golden egg

instant cool boss fight
Yea it’s worth exploring that area. Hope you got the money from all the floating barrels!

Isa

Gold Member
I'm on Chapter 8 now, really enjoying it. One thing that can really help a game in the long term is how much variety and nuance there is to the gameplay, in this case the combat. There are plenty of times I've replayed fights just to see what else I could do or improve upon. Setup traps, go stealthy, use the environment, or even save ammo the old way and use melee more. I've been taking my sweet time exploring everything lol, and is a rare game I will definitely replay multiple times across my systems.

Jayjayhd34

Chapter 8 my Xbox controller finally gave In a died after five long years so I'm literally sat on the floor with shortest usb c cable with ps5 controller so uncomfortable but can't put it down

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Made it to Chapter 9 and am using the same load out I used during my Switch play through. There are moments in this game that are truly amazing. I’ve been happy with how they’ve managed to recreate some areas perfectly.

went all out to get the broken butterfly to 20 power. Hoping it does what i think it will do to the upcoming boss

J3nga

Storage is so useless, what's the point for it to exist if almost nothing can be stored in it? Other than that great game, loving it.

Madflavor

Storage is so useless, what's the point for it to exist if almost nothing can be stored in it? Other than that great game, loving it.
It’s there to compensate for the amount of weapons in this, compared to the Original. There’s a lot more.

It's a pretty good game. The original is still better, even if I do spew about it "ruining the series" a lot. However, it gets to be nausea inducing after the 100th guard gets shot.

RE2 and 3 had major changes. This game has changes, but I did notice it's not nearly as noticeable. Generally, a lot of the same enemies return. Although there's variants on what you do. Now the island has stupid Lazer traps.

One thing, though. The damn puzzles. I hate them! 😩

Does the final game look and play differently from the demo? The controls felt a little off especially with the aiming and I was a disappointed a bit with the visuals.

skneogaf

Hardcore is perfect difficulty, died a couple of times on each chapter.

I think they went to far with shrinking the rain as its not enough of a hindrance now.

The dolby atmos is amazing though on the rain!

Quezacolt

Just finished the game. Honestly, i think i love it even more than the og.

Only miss some of the jokes, and wish Saddler's personality didnt change so much. In the og it was fun seeing him troll Leon.

The game is amazing. This and Dead Sapce Remake were both incredible.

rofif

Banned
Leon’s head comes clean off many times. How tf was there a controversy that they reduced decapitation

Last edited:

HYDE

Banned
Leon’s head comes clean off many times. How tf was there a controversy that they reduced decapitation
I had a villager axe me in the head in a corner which stunned me while a stick of dynamite was sparking under my ass and it obliterated me into a bucket of blood and guts…I was like holy shit!

Madflavor

Was it reduced decapacitation or reduced gore? Cause it was the latter I heard more. I think this is probably the most violent Resident Evil since the OG RE4, but it doesn't quite reach the same level of gruesome deaths for Leon as the OG did. For example in the OG when the Giant Inspects vomit acid on Leon's face, he gets a death animation that actually shows his skin melting off and parts of his skull exposed. In the Remake, he just falls over and dies. It doesn't hurt the overall game, but it is disappointing to see them still holding back on the gory deaths.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Good to see one of GAF's RE enthusiasts giving glowing praise to RE4make! If you have time, I'm interesting in reading your summary of the issues that OG RE4 has, and how the remake addresses them. I'm guessing movement, combat, and/or AI comprise at least one issue?
I'll definitely expand on what I enjoy more over the OG but I gotta play more still. On chapter 4, enjoying the hell out of it though.

JKSlcie.jpg

Astral Dog

Holy shit, this game

im not yet done with the castle but it still somehow keeps shocking me 😳 its just a masterpiece,one of the best videogames of all time

The only worry to me is how Capcom are supposed to 'surpass' it with Resident Evil 9‽are they gonna try a shot with a Resident Evil 5 Remake ?if it were up to me,this team would work on Resident Evil 1 and Code Veronica REmakes on this style alongside the sequels,but that's a dream

I have so many questions , where are they taking the series next,and if they are gonna let the remake lineup rest awhile ,because unless they rework the oldstyle classics RE5 is next🤔 i feel we are right now exactly at the point RE4 was first released, the bar is set so high expectations are just gonna get crazier

Are they gonna drop first person to focus on trying to one up this RE4?or maybe something new entirely,questions,questions .

But no matter what they decide , its gonna be worth hyping,
i only want that they keep focusing on the atmospheric horror art, strong level design,antagonists and plenty of puzzles .

Last edited:

Rac3r

Picked up my preorder yesterday but finally got to play tonight. Game is a lot of fun, I just got through the first village attack.

Just wondering, is there anything else I need to do other than turn off chromatic aberration? I’m playing on FPS mode on PS5 and it looks great.

Also aiming feels extremely slow, is that just how it is? I haven’t played the original RE4 in over 10 years, so I don’t remember if this is just part of the mechanics.

Top Bottom