• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 VR is Censored

sex is bad. violence is okay.

Save a click: Luis' "ballistics" comment, Ashley's "overtime" comment, the "no sex discrimination here" line, Leon's "glasses" link to Hunnigan, and more have been removed because Facebook doesn't want misogynistic or sexual tones.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Adventure Time Unicorn GIF

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Selected quotes with highlights:
“Specifically, sexual harassment, sarcastic expressions, sexist conversations, and expressions that may be indirectly linked to them have been removed.”
As for Resident Evil 4 VR itself; the changes include the removal of flirting from multiple characters. These include Leon and Ingrid, Luis Sera and Ashley, and Ashley and Leon at the end of the game. Specifically, Luis comment about Ashley’s “ballistics” being removed also means the achievement named “Secure the Ballistics” has been renamed “Secure Ashley.”

Flirtations scenes also feature large swathes of dialogue completely cut; with the ending losing 30% of the dialogue. While included in the video, the post-credit scene where Leon is rebuffed by Ingrid for asking for her phone number is entirely removed from the VR game. This is in-spite of a “misogynistic” Leon being shot down in a comical manner by a female character.

Another example includes a bloodied corpse of a woman with an axe in her head-pinning her to the wall. In the original, Leon states Guess there’s no sex discrimination here” when examining the body. In the VR version, he only states "Guess no one’s safe here".

Last edited:
It seems like they're less worried about being too sexual and most worried about being seen as sexist.

These companies realize we live in a world full of people desperately searching for anything to be outraged over, so they can begin another witch hunt to tear them down and make their lives and careers miserable.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Ha.

How dumb. Those scenes are slightly cringe but my god, it's completely innocent. Besides, it's a ridiculous over the top action/horror game. Given the context, it make sense to blow some steam with some slightly crude innuendo. Surprised Capcom was OK with this.

The glaring issue is that so many people have allowed social media to be the arbiter of morality. Fuck these stupid social media tech companies, the world would be better off without them.

Synless

Ok, no joke. I was insanely hyped about the game in VR. I won’t buy this under principle alone. Firstly, people flirt and say dirty shit to each other all the time. Second, they make jokes. I don’t do this censorship shit, it’s not connected to reality. I don’t give a fuck if everyone else buys it. I have my principles, I’m not buying.

edit* I am serious here that this one hurts, I was very excited for it…

Last edited:

Aranea

Good thing i never had any intention on buying this. I'm honestly surprised they find the game to be sexist and had to remove certain content. I guess if they ever release a VR version of Resident Evil 5 a lot of stuff will be removed.

Fredrik

These companies realize we live in a world full of people desperately searching for anything to be outraged over, so they can begin another witch hunt to tear them down and make their lives and careers miserable.
Sad but true, the angry Twitter mob is ruling gaming now, and there is always something to get outraged at, characters will just be boring empty vessels going forward.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
The ballistics line always made me cringe, so good riddance.

The "no sex discrimination" line and the glasses thing, though? That's fucking stupid. Who the fuck could get offended by these? (the twitter folk, I know)

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
EDIT: How the heck do you post from Imgur without the big ol Share-links border around the image?
get the actual image url, in chrome you can get it by right clicking on the image.
Then here click on the "insert image" button and paste the url. If you just paste the url in the reply field, it will automatically post as the imgur embed thing.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Imagine the melt down when people learn what you can do with the stylus in Resident Evil: Deadly Silence on the DS.

Now THAT is some poor taste. Pretty amazing that it's in the game, lol.

Right click on the picture, choose "copy image link", and then insert it here using that link.
get the actual image url, in chrome you can get it by right clicking on the image.
Then here click on the "insert image" button and paste the url. If you just paste the url in the reply field, it will automatically post as the imgur embed thing.
Thank you :)

Pretty disappointed in this news, and I'm getting really sick of this trend. I have been looking forward to this game and while a few lines of dialog may not seem like a big deal, I'm just tired of it happening on principle. Thankfully there is plenty else out there to play, so I can easily skip purchasing games by publishers that choose to do this censorship/modifying crap.

Saber

Gold Member
This game gonna be "Rated E for Everyone".

Can't wait for a possible R4 Remake lmao

Can i still look up Ashley's skirt?

Gonna presume not, as I believe the VR would make things easier and its easy for them to fix(like just putting a shirt on her).

Last edited:

Vaelka

'' 30% of the ending is cut '' lol.

Why the fuck is it so god damned difficult for people in the NA corporate world to be human beings?
There has to be some kind of a normal inbetween between being a misogynistic sexual harasser and infantlizing women and taking political correctness to an absurd extreme.

The people in charge of this shit need to touch grass, actual real human beings make jokes and are sexual.
But they also manage to not assault people or send pics of their nudes after they've died.
I dunno wtf is wrong with people in the NA entertainment industry and why they're so retarded and it's only getting worse.
The most frustrating thing about it too is that so many people are handwaving it away, like even tho they disagree with it and think it's stupid they still just let it happen and they attack people who are actually speaking up against it more than they go after the corporation making the dumb decisions.

Especially with Blizzard it has been embarrassing to watch how hard people simp for them, even if they think the censorship is stupid they still go out of their way to defend Blizzard and attack people who speak out against it.
Just wtf is wrong with people?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
'' 30% of the ending is cut '' lol.

Why the fuck is it so god damned difficult for people in the NA corporate world to be human beings?
There has to be some kind of a normal inbetween between being a misogynistic sexual harasser and infantlizing women and taking political correctness to an absurd extreme.

The people in charge of this shit need to touch grass, actual real human beings make jokes and are sexual.
But they also manage to not assault people or send pics of their nudes after they've died.
I dunno wtf is wrong with people in the NA entertainment industry and why they're so retarded and it's only getting worse.
The most frustrating thing about it too is that so many people are handwaving it away, like even tho they disagree with it and think it's stupid they still just let it happen and they attack people who are actually speaking up against it more than they go after the corporation making the dumb decisions.

Especially with Blizzard it has been embarrassing to watch how hard people simp for them, even if they think the censorship is stupid they still go out of their way to defend Blizzard and attack people who speak out against it.
Just wtf is wrong with people?
California.

Top Bottom