• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 VR is Censored

kiphalfton

I honestly think it's a product of many of these devs being ugly sloths, never getting flirted with, and/or never getting sex... so everybody has to suffer for them sucking at life.

Each to their own, but to a lot of people - myself included - the things that were removed play more of a part of establishing character than you might be giving them credit for.
  • Leon & Hunnigan 1
    • Leon isn't quite taking this as seriously as they might think he should - he's a Raccoon City survivor so this is light work for him at this point
    • Establishes Hunnigan as a focused character, no nonsense
  • Leon & Hunnigan 2
    • Hunnigan starts to worry - she's warming up to him but it's still business
    • Leon responds with a tease - he's still continuing to be casual
  • Luis & Ashley
    • Luis is shown as a sleazy character, and it makes him less likeable. His moral ambiguity adds to his character, because we keep losing him and you're not sure if he can be trusted
    • Ashley sticks up for herself and is articulate about it, which shows us a bit more of her character
  • Ashley & Leon
    • Ashley shooting her shot with the man that came across the world to rescue her and they've bonded through adversity
    • It shows that there's more going on with Leon, and either Ada got to him (likely), the mission got serious enough for him to take it seriously, or perhaps he always had that line because of the mission/age/whatever
    • Seriously, what on earth could possibly be wrong with this one?
  • Leon & Hunnigan 3
    • After the experience they had on this mission, they've bonded. No longer strangers.
    • When Leon compliments, she smiles. Then she gives the "May I remind you" playing hard to get facade because they're both still at work, but the subtext is "Wait until we're finished with this mission"
Even outside of the cutscenes, which are already quite confused in what they edit out, you have the woman with a pitchfork through the face at the beginning. A common rule across the world is "No women and children". We all know this rule. At this point we don't know about the Plagas, so Leon's thought when seeing a woman with a pitchfork through her face is that Ashley might be suffering in more ways than just being a captive, because it tells us that this group of people don't have a "No women and children" rule, it's just brutality.

With all of that in mind, the changes just seem strangely puritanical - especially given that it's a game where the primary focus of gameplay is to shoot people in the head until it explodes. We are hardly talking about a Disney game here, where "Will somebody please think of the children?!" attitudes are more justified.
Perfect analysis. This is my favourite game and I couldn't have put this better.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

That's quite a bit of censorship in the cutscenes. Sheesh.

Oh WTF honestly.
This is type of "content changing" censorship It's some george lucas bs.
Oh man... fuck gaming sometimes.

Right... let's take some of the character. Leon can't take like that to a LADY right ?! RIGHT ?!

Btw. None of the latest ultimate releases are censored yes?
Could this mean "a patch" is coming ? :(

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Tygeezy

This is really annoying to me but i'm not principled enough to not purchase the game and play it. I've been waiting for this game forever and there aren't enough great games in VR to just play something else.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
Cute

655792.jpg

Cute before doing the lewd.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Oh WTF honestly.
This is type of "content changing" censorship It's some george lucas bs.
Oh man... fuck gaming sometimes.

Right... let's take some of the character. Leon can't take like that to a LADY right ?! RIGHT ?!

Btw. None of the latest ultimate releases are censored yes?
Could this mean "a patch" is coming ? :(
The assumption is that the changes are a Facebook/Oculus thing, so proper versions versions won’t be affected.

Unk Adams

Banned
What is the problem of inserting a "this game was released in 2005 and contains offensive content" disclaimer? They're erasing history now.
The disclaimer should really say "This game was released in 2005, a sane time period when we played Resident Evil 5 on our Gamecube and then checked our MySpace page. We would tell loony crybaby idiots online to fuck off for saying stupid things instead of trying to appease them".

LMJ

Capcom really shouldn't have given in on this. More will be demanded of them next time... and some of these people are never happy.

Hell, as far as I know this wasn't requested at all...

It's pre-emptive wokeness on FB's part

Or you know what screw "wokeness" let's call it what it is a new wave of puritanism (like Paperboy Paperboy said) for the new religion of Progressives

Reactions: Isa

SZips

When I heard it was going to be censored, the obvious stuff like the "ballistics" line I figured it'd be cut. Though now Ashley just looks rude in her response to Luis instead of standing up for herself. But other stuff like the flirting between Leon and Hunnigan? The post-credits scene with the glasses? The line where Leon remarks about how he thought she'd be a little older was cut? That doesn't make any sense.

The actual gameplay changes look great though. Seems like they implemented the transition to VR well in that case. If I had a Quest 2, I'd be all over this but I've only got a Rift CV1. Shame about the lack of the extra content though.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Resident Evil 4 VR for Oculus Quest 2 changes and removes some of the more explicit content from the original games. Here's a comparison to see what's different since the original on GameCube, PS2, Wii and more!

Timestamps:

0:00 Hunnigan Dialogue Change #1
0:39 Hunnigan Change #2
1:07 Impaled Villager
1:23 Luis Meeting Ashley
2:03 Pervert Leon
2:42 End Scene
3:32 Deleted Hunnigan Scene

Top Bottom