• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 VR is Censored

Javthusiast

Banned
Some of them are such an awful cringy lines. Glad they removed them.
go away gtfo GIF

It seems like they're less worried about being too sexual and most worried about being seen as sexist.

These companies realize we live in a world full of people desperately searching for anything to be outraged over, so they can begin another witch hunt to tear them down and make their lives and careers miserable.
And the outrage addicts are winning because they decide what everyone is allowed to consume.

Nyxir

Calling someone cute now is cringe? Or saying they don't choose gender when they kill?
Hitting on a coworker time after time when they show no interest is cringe af. Its simply sexual harassment. Also that ballistics scene is embarrassing.
I actually liked the discrimination joke lol.

BlackTron

God I hate Facebook. The only reason I still have it at all is because I have so many friends/contacts who use Messenger as their main way of communicating.

I have a friend who DESPISED video games because her ex pretty much did nothing but play Halo 1 on Xbox instead of...well, anything else at all, ever. So she always carried this disdain for all gaming. Until she tried Beat Saber on my PSVR. I created a monster, she bought an Oculus Quest as her first game system and is now telling me ITS SO GOOD U HAVE TO GET ONE TO PLAY WITH US ITS SO FUN.

God dammit, Facebook. GOD DAMMIT. They're taking over, their reach is encompassing, no matter how terrible the company is.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Some of them are such an awful cringy lines. Glad they removed them.
The cheese is half the point of RE4. It's a game that goes balls deep into fun and fucks off everything else. That's why it's so good.

One man's cheese is another man's cringy, and if you remove everything that's "cringy" then most of the game is gone. "Your right hand comes off?" is a cheesy dad joke that people would say is "cringy" in any other context.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
What’s the chances of a home brew patch for this?

Stitch

Gold Member
Quest 2 is running android so it's not really a closed system like consoles so modified content is possible.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Return it if the censorship ruins the expierence for you.

You would be surprised how much scrutiny refund/return numbers get on the back end.

The Quest store has a decent return window if you purchase a title and it’s not your jam.

2 hours of less of play and within 14 days of purchase.

Saber

Gold Member
Hitting on a coworker time after time when they show no interest is cringe af. Its simply sexual harassment. Also that ballistics scene is embarrassing.
I actually liked the discrimination joke lol.

At least pretend that you play the game instead of sounding like a stupid social justice warrior.
He only make a move at the end of the game. And its not like it end well for him, she cut him right to it.
The whole point of a joke is being a joke, its not like the guy has any correlation with her and neither has to follow some conduct/rule, he can say whatever he wants same way she can.

Seriously, I feel like I'm discussing with a Reeera member. You know this is a game, not real life right? Wonder whats next to be problematic.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

I have a friend who DESPISED video games because her ex pretty much did nothing but play Halo 1 on Xbox instead of...well, anything else at all, ever. So she always carried this disdain for all gaming. Until she tried Beat Saber on my PSVR. I created a monster, she bought an Oculus Quest as her first game system and is now telling me ITS SO GOOD U HAVE TO GET ONE TO PLAY WITH US ITS SO FUN.
What have you done? Now someone else will DESPISE VR because of your friend's Beat Saber addiction.

Last edited:

Romulus

I know its fucking stupid but how are decision makers at FB going to know who's "voting with their wallet" to stop censorship? How could they even justify how many sales were lost? Its going to sell well regardless and theres no metric on who's not buying and why.

Sure, stand your ground, but theres just not enough mainstream press to alert the average buyer, and many just don't care. It'll be a huge wash in terms of sending any message. The vast majority of press is overwhelmingly positive, and that's what most buyers will see.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Return it if the censorship ruins the expierence for you.

You would be surprised how much scrutiny refund/return numbers get on the back end.

The Quest store has a decent return window if you purchase a title and it’s not your jam.

2 hours of less of play and within 14 days of purchase.
Honestly is doesn't matter the cutscenes are shit anyway.. since they are showed on a virtual screen

Nyxir

At least pretend that you play the game instead of sounding like a stupid social justice warrior.
He only make a move at the end of the game. And its not like it end well for him, she cut him right to it.
The whole point of joke is being a joke, its not like the guy has any correlation with her neither follow some conduct/rule, he can say whatever he wants same way she can.

Seriously, I feel like I'm discussing with a Reeera member. You know this is a game, not real life right? Wonder whats next to be problematic.
That last sentence. The fucking irony.
You use the same tactics of that dumpster fire of community. Name throwing and us and them mentally 🤢
You go back and watch the video. That’s the third line between him and her that got removed. And then come back with something to discuss if you actually have. Instead of whatever that post was.

Nyxir

The cheese is half the point of RE4. It's a game that goes balls deep into fun and fucks off everything else. That's why it's so good.

One man's cheese is another man's cringy, and if you remove everything that's "cringy" then most of the game is gone. "Your right hand comes off?" is a cheesy dad joke that people would say is "cringy" in any other context.
I got your point. But context matter. Leon just come of as jerk who is making his female co worker uncomfortable.
I understand censorship is a sensitive matter. But to me. This case is just not worth it. The lines were bad and awkward and add nothing to the game.
Sorry for double posting. I suck and forums.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
The whole point of joke is being a joke, its not like the guy has any correlation with her neither follow some conduct/rule, he can say whatever he wants same way she can.

You sound triggered...
Why can't someone find lines cringe? It's a stupid, cringe silly line, there's no need to get upset because someone thinks that. Can't you live with different opinions? If this was era, you'd be requesting his ban.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Honestly is doesn't matter the cutscenes are shit anyway.. since they are showed on a virtual screen
I would have liked to see from the POV of Leon during those.

It's a cardinal sin to take away player control (in terms of head movement) in VR but still....we have done it, works fine and people don't instantly projectile vomit. It would have been more work, no doubt, but an option for that would have been nice.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I would have liked to see from the POV of Leon during those.

It's a cardinal sin to take away player control (in terms of head movement) in VR but still....we have done it, works fine and people don't instantly projectile vomit. It would have been more work, no doubt, but an option for that would have been nice.
too much work.. and my bet is this makes people less sick. as you will be moved into a locked movement when tackling kicking etc,, and this short warp is what makes you sick..

i played this game so many times and i used to always skip the dialoge anyway..

looking at all the surroundings in VR again is so dope tho!

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
I got your point. But context matter. Leon just come of as jerk who is making his female co worker uncomfortable.

Are seriously gonna discuss if a fictional character is being made uncomfortable is a grave matter? And this is just silly thinking, because nothing there suggests that.

You sound triggered...
Why can't someone find lines cringe? It's a stupid, cringe silly line, there's no need to get upset because someone thinks that. Can't you live with different opinions?

What part of not knowing the difference between games and real life is different opinion? Or do you guys go to work talking to workmates "hey guys just watched Game of Thrones, totally sexist!1!".

If you like the VR game is ok, nothing against that. Want to buy, go for it dude. Just don't go thinking this make taking harmless lines seriously any less stupid.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Are seriously gonna discuss if a fictional character is being made uncomfortable is a grave matter? And this is just silly thinking, because nothing there suggests that.

What part of not knowing the difference between games and real life is different opinion? Or do you guys go to work talking to workmates "hey guys just watched Game of Thrones, totally sexist!1!".

If you like the VR game is ok, nothing against that. Want to buy, go for it dude. Just don't go thinking this make taking harmless lines seriously any less stupid.
So you don't accept different opinions. Got it.

Rob_27

It's well good. Haven't had this much fun since sold psvr. What other great titles are there ? My pc isn't good enough for anything so would have to run on quest 2 presumably.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
So you don't accept different opinions. Got it.

Your entire post history ever since you basically returned post MOBA purchase has been getting easily triggered and throwing a hissy fit. Maybe you should return to your ERA cuddle-box before dissenting opinions cause you to have an aneurism.

Also they were just jokes, the fact that you are actively offended by them shows how much of a joke you are.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I understand censorship is a sensitive matter. But to me. This case is just not worth it. The lines were bad and awkward and add nothing to the game.
Sorry for double posting. I suck and forums.
Each to their own, but to a lot of people - myself included - the things that were removed play more of a part of establishing character than you might be giving them credit for.
  • Leon & Hunnigan 1
    • Leon isn't quite taking this as seriously as they might think he should - he's a Raccoon City survivor so this is light work for him at this point
    • Establishes Hunnigan as a focused character, no nonsense
  • Leon & Hunnigan 2
    • Hunnigan starts to worry - she's warming up to him but it's still business
    • Leon responds with a tease - he's still continuing to be casual
  • Luis & Ashley
    • Luis is shown as a sleazy character, and it makes him less likeable. His moral ambiguity adds to his character, because we keep losing him and you're not sure if he can be trusted
    • Ashley sticks up for herself and is articulate about it, which shows us a bit more of her character
  • Ashley & Leon
    • Ashley shooting her shot with the man that came across the world to rescue her and they've bonded through adversity
    • It shows that there's more going on with Leon, and either Ada got to him (likely), the mission got serious enough for him to take it seriously, or perhaps he always had that line because of the mission/age/whatever
    • Seriously, what on earth could possibly be wrong with this one?
  • Leon & Hunnigan 3
    • After the experience they had on this mission, they've bonded. No longer strangers.
    • When Leon compliments, she smiles. Then she gives the "May I remind you" playing hard to get facade because they're both still at work, but the subtext is "Wait until we're finished with this mission"
Even outside of the cutscenes, which are already quite confused in what they edit out, you have the woman with a pitchfork through the face at the beginning. A common rule across the world is "No women and children". We all know this rule. At this point we don't know about the Plagas, so Leon's thought when seeing a woman with a pitchfork through her face is that Ashley might be suffering in more ways than just being a captive, because it tells us that this group of people don't have a "No women and children" rule, it's just brutality.

With all of that in mind, the changes just seem strangely puritanical - especially given that it's a game where the primary focus of gameplay is to shoot people in the head until it explodes. We are hardly talking about a Disney game here, where "Will somebody please think of the children?!" attitudes are more justified.

Swift_Star

Banned
Your entire post history ever since you basically returned post MOBA purchase has been getting easily triggered and throwing a hissy fit. Maybe you should return to your ERA cuddle-box before dissenting opinions cause you to have an aneurism.

Also they were just jokes, the fact that you are actively offended by them shows how much of a joke you are.
Another person that don't like different opinions lmao. Also, I like the lines so you're wrong. 🤣 I just found funny that guy got extremely triggered because someone else said they dont like the lines. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I like them, you like them, that guy don't like them. What is wrong with people liking different things?

Last edited:

MacReady13

Imagine not being able to "hit" on the opposite sex?! How in the FUCK did we ever have a sexual encounter if NOT doing that in the 1st place? Why is sex so taboo with these cunts? I mean, don't ask me for your phone number but it's ok to cut my fucking head off with a rusty chainsaw...

Killer8

I always think it's quite comical when people freak out when a character or piece of media does not align 100% with the own moral standards. Like when a character says or does something that is deemed problematic in 2021, suddenly it means the creator is too, or that they promote that behavior somehow. An example in another thread is how Rockstar are changing the Confederate flag tank top that Phil Cassidy wears in GTA: Vice City remastered. Should Rockstar cut that out, because to not do that would be seen as a tacit endorsement of the Confederacy? I would say no, because its inclusion in Phil Cassidy's wardrobe is obviously a reflection of a) a possibly flawed character, in a game full of criminals no less, and b) a reflection of the times, given that Vice City is set in the 1980s. But in the year of our lord 2021, Rockstar obviously do not want to risk people being too retarded to not see that content =/= intent (or maybe even Rockstar / Take 2 are now made up of said retards, who knows).

The same could apply to Leon - as much as I don't give a shit and think his behavior even adds to both his cocky character and the game's flirtatious, b-movie tone, I can see that some might object to it. But why then can't the objectors just view it as "Leon is a bit of a douche" rather than "this game is deeply offensive by design and Capcom should be ashamed of themselves for including that content"? I mean at that point making the change changes the character, from said cocky douche to generic, safe action hero. There's a very thin line between surface level censorship and changing the tone of a piece of work - hell i'd argue there's practically no line given how just a few 'innocent' cuts in this game was enough to alter the perception of the character.

Last edited:

MacReady13

I always think it's quite comical when people freak out when a character or piece of media does not align 100% with the own moral standards. Like when a character says or does something that is deemed problematic in 2021, suddenly it means the creator is too, or that they promote that behavior somehow. An example in another thread is how Rockstar are changing the Confederate flag tank top that Phil Cassidy wears in GTA: Vice City remastered. Should Rockstar cut that out, because to not do that would be seen as a tacit endorsement of the Confederacy? I would say no, because its inclusion in Phil Cassidy's wardrobe is obviously a reflection of a) a possibly flawed character, in a game full of criminals no less, and b) a reflection of the times, given that Vice City is set in the 1980s. But in the year of our lord 2021, Rockstar obviously do not want to risk people being too retarded to not see that content =/= intent (or maybe even Rockstar / Take 2 are now made up of said retards, who knows).

The same could apply to Leon - as much as I don't give a shit and think his behavior even adds to both his cocky character and the game's flirtatious, b-movie tone, I can see that some might object to it. But why then can't the objectors just view it as "Leon is a bit of a douche" rather than "this game is deeply offensive by design and Capcom should be ashamed of themselves for including that content"? I mean at that point making the change changes the character, from said cocky douche to generic, safe action hero. There's a very thin line between surface level censorship and changing the tone of a piece of work - hell i'd argue there's practically no line given how just a few 'innocent' cuts in this game was enough to alter the perception of the character.
How about we just leave things they way they were originally intended to be seen/heard/played? Why do we feel the need to censor? If you don't want to consume that piece of media because you are offended/a fucking soft cock, then do NOT consume said media! Your softness doesn't mean we should all have to miss out, even when it turns out you were never interested in consuming said media in the 1st place!

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Each to their own, but to a lot of people - myself included - the things that were removed play more of a part of establishing character than you might be giving them credit for.
  • Leon & Hunnigan 1
    • Leon isn't quite taking this as seriously as they might think he should - he's a Raccoon City survivor so this is light work for him at this point
  • Leon & Hunnigan 2
  • Luis & Ashley
    • Luis is shown as a sleazy character, and it makes him less likeable. His moral ambiguity adds to his character, because we keep losing him and you're not sure if he can be trusted
    • Ashley sticks up for herself and is articulate about it, which shows us a bit more of her character
  • Ashley & Leon
    • Ashley shooting her shot with the man that came across the world to rescue her and they've bonded through adversity
    • It shows that there's more going on with Leon, and either Ada got to him (likely), the mission got serious enough for him to take it seriously, or perhaps he always had that line because of the mission/age/whatever
  • Leon & Hunnigan 3
    • After the experience they had on this mission, they've bonded. No longer strangers.
    • When Leon compliments, she smiles. Then she gives the "May I remind you" playing hard to get facade because they're both still at work, but the subtext is "Wait until we're finished with this mission"
Even outside of the cutscenes, which are already quite confused in what they edit out, you have the woman with a pitchfork through the face at the beginning. A common rule across the world is "No women and children". We all know this rule. At this point we don't know about the Plagas, so Leon's thought when seeing a woman with a pitchfork through her face is that Ashley might be suffering in more ways than just being a captive, because it tells us that this group of people don't have a "No women and children" rule, it's just brutality.

With all of that in mind, the changes just seem strangely puritanical - especially given that it's a game where the primary focus of gameplay is to shoot people in the head until it explodes. We are hardly talking about a Disney game here, where "Will somebody please think of the children?!" attitudes are more justified.
giphy.gif

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Another person that don't like different opinions lmao. Also, I like the lines so you're wrong. 🤣 I just found funny that guy got extremely triggered because someone else said they dont like the lines. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I like them, you like them, that guy don't like them. What is wrong with people liking different things?

Moving goalposts already? Truly an Reeeeeturner move.

SSfox

I don't think this is a capcom move. These feels like a facebook/oculus dev move. Capcom just doens't give a shit either way.
I mean it's Capcom's game, even if it was facebook decision Capcom shouldn't allow some randoms to change how their products were originally made. at least imo

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I mean it's Capcom's game, even if it was facebook decision Capcom shouldn't allow some randoms to change how their products were originally made. at least imo

I agree entirely, but this is also Capcom who thought it was a good idea to release SFV and Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite in those states. As well as Capcom who thought it was OK to censor butts in DMC5.

Swift_Star

Banned
  • Leon & Hunnigan 1
  • Leon & Hunnigan 2
  • Luis & Ashley
  • Ashley & Leon
  • Leon & Hunnigan 3

Pretty much, yeah. I hope they keep the cheesiness and cringiness on the remake.

Top Bottom