• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 VR The Mercenaries | 2022 Announcement

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Soooo Nice
Alejandro Jodorowsky Party GIF by Endless Poetry

Wonko_C

As if I'm not already tempted enough to get a Quest 2 on BF... must resist! Building a new PC goes first.

sainraja

I did not enjoy RE4 in VR. It just wasn't doing it for me. I think VR is something that will take a while for me to warm up to.

Romulus

I did not enjoy RE4 in VR. It just wasn't doing it for me. I think VR is something that will take a while for me to warm up to.

Did you get a refund for your purchase? Do you own it on Quest 2 or did you side load Quest 1?

Last edited:

Romulus

I don't have the game. My brother does and that's how I tried it. Any reason for asking?

I actually thought you were someone else that's active in the Quest thread.

Personally, I loved it after struggling a bit in the beginning.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Very nice - it was definitely something I missed once I finished playing through the base game. Still need to clear Professional, so that should keep me busy until this drops. I hope it's an expanded mercenaries experience - VR is built for those kinds of horde modes.

Ozriel

M$FT
Nah, go fuck yourself Meta/Facebook. You censored the shit out of the base game and removed almost all of the charm.

That’s fine. You can fume about them removing the ability look up the skirt of a polygonal model and removing some throwaway lines. I’ll happily take more content to an excellent game.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
lmao they dropped the Oculus name too? That’s a great name for VR, if anything renaming it Meta Quest reminds me more that it’s a part of that shitbag company moreso than just leaving it as Oculus.

On topic: I’m hella jealous of the games Quest owners are getting. Really wish I could get these on PC VR. Maybe someday there will be a workaround but I’m probably going ti have to give in and get a Quest 3 or PSVR2 or something, because I don’t like my fancy index sitting around while these hot exclusives are dropping everywhere else. I had Alyx but that’s been almost 2 years now

SSfox

Don't care about this butt ugly censor edition VR version, thankfully still have the version that matters on both PS and Xbox, and Crapcom better put this legendary mode in RE4 remake.

s-bojan

Banned
You care enough to post in this topic.
The game is great, crying about “censorship” is as childish as calling the studio Crapcom.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
What did they do to the game?

Removed many lines that gave the characters their personality.

Mind you this game was released recently on Switch, a console owned, operated, and developed by a company known for catering to the younger demographic with zero changes. There is no excuse for the censorship in this version.

Ok, but you have roughly 47 different ways to play Resident Evil 4, and none of them are VR.

And that excuses censorship, cut content, and providing the worst experience for this classic title yet.

That’s fine. You can fume about them removing the ability look up the skirt of a polygonal model and removing some throwaway lines. I’ll happily take more content to an excellent game.

You are actively celebrating them bringing back content they initially removed, that is available in every other version of the game.

You are a clown.

I think because most already have played it to death in higher resolutions/framerate versions of the original. The VR version legitimately feels fresh and is the definitive edition now for many. Myself included.

This is objectively the worst way to play the game (majority of content removed, censorship, etc). You are either a clown or a shill.

Romulus

This is objectively the worst way to play the game (majority of content removed, censorship, etc). You are either a clown or a shill.

Lol so everyone enjoying this is a clown. Right. All the user reviews online, quest store reviews, and journalists are clowns.
The thing is, we already know the lines. Everyone has played this. It's not like this is brand new and we're choosing between censored/uncensored versions lol. Its just a silly excuse to suppress what this does well. Gameplay. This is about a new way to play it and it accels.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Lol so everyone enjoying this is a clown. Right. All the user reviews online, quest store reviews, and journalists are clowns.

Yes.

Not sure why you are shilling so hard for an objectively lesser experience. Gamers these days really will defend whatever trash that is tossed there way and never question it.

Deerock71

Removed many lines that gave the characters their personality.

Mind you this game was released recently on Switch, a console owned, operated, and developed by a company known for catering to the younger demographic with zero changes. There is no excuse for the censorship in this version.

Animated GIF

Romulus

Yes.

Not sure why you are shilling so hard for an objectively lesser experience. Gamers these days really will defend whatever trash that is tossed there way and never question it.

Just constant name calling and anger. I love it.
.I did question it and didn't like it initially. But those questions faded away once I started playing.
Are you one of those people that think you can vote with your wallet I this case? Lol. Like fb will be able to distinguish who didn't buy it because of censorship. Impossible.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Just constant name calling and anger. I love it.
.I did question it and didn't like it initially. But those questions faded away once I started playing.
Are you one of those people that think you can vote with your wallet I this case? Lol. Like fb will be able to distinguish who didn't buy it because of censorship. Impossible.

Projection. Adorable.

I don't buy censored products. Not going to give a studio/company money for an objectively lesser experience. End of story.

But keep shilling for them. Someday they may take notice that you exist.

Romulus

Projection. Adorable.

I don't buy censored products. Not going to give a studio/company money for an objectively lesser experience. End of story.

But keep shilling for them. Someday they may take notice that you exist.

Where did I name call you guy? You're over screaming about cencorship and calling everyone clowns and shills. You keep on fighting the good fight and pretending they even know why you're not buying it. Lol all 5 of you.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Dude, relax. If you're having fun good for you, no one can take that away from you.

But to be some sort of definitive edition the game should have been designed from the ground up for VR, otherwise there will always exist those hackish interactions that take you away from the experience.

I think the newer Resident Evils are better candidates for VR than 4 of all things.

I am legit surprised we *didn't* get a VR version of 8. Everything about its design screams that it was designed for it, even more so than 7.

Maybe a PSVR2 launch title?

Romulus

Dude, relax. If you're having fun good for you, no one can take that away from you.

But to be some sort of definitive edition the game should have been designed from the ground up for VR, otherwise there will always exist those hackish interactions that take you away from the experience.

I think the newer Resident Evils are better candidates for VR than 4 of all things.

That's the whole reason it's popular, it has that feel like it was designed for VR outside of a few quirks. But in terms of relaxing, if I was any more relaxed I'd be in a coma. I'm not taking the time to dig up negative info, name-calling or bashing a version of a game I care nothing about or won't ever own.

Last edited:

Romulus

I am legit surprised we *didn't* get a VR version of 8. Everything about its design screams that it was designed for it, even more so than 7.

Maybe a PSVR2 launch title?

Base PS4 struggled with RE7 and you're legit surprised RE8 didn't get a conversation? The resolution on base ps4 looked like 480p at times and that's considering it has far less activity onscreen and draw distances. I wouldn't be surprised if it looks slightly soft on PSVR2 with PS5, but PS4 would never be an option.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Base PS4 struggled with RE7 and you're legit surprised RE8 didn't get a conversation? The resolution on base ps4 looked like 480p at times and that's considering it has far less activity onscreen and draw distances. I wouldn't be surprised if it looks slightly soft on PSVR2 with PS5, but PS4 would never be an option.

Nah. I am surprised we didn’t get a PC VR release. RE7 VR I understood as it was a thing between Sony and Capcom. However, as far as we know there is no such thing with RE8.

Romulus

Nah. I am surprised we didn’t get a PC VR release. RE7 VR I understood as it was a thing between Sony and Capcom. However, as far as we know there is no such thing with RE8.

Then you probably answered your own question. We've heard nothing about PCVR version(just like RE7), and PSVR2 is around the corner.

Ozriel

M$FT
You are actively celebrating them bringing back content they initially removed, that is available in every other version of the game.

You are a clown.

and you are ignorant.
they didn’t ‘remove’ the Mercenaries mode. The entire thing was rebuilt for VR…and it’s easy enough to infer that the initial scope did not cover Mercenaries. They were up front about this, and people still bought the game.

Now they’re doing the extra work to bring Mercenaries as a free update, and that’s a damn good thing.

When I play it, it will give me that much extra pleasure that you won’t play it, thanks to your strange fetish for a few throwaway words.

Hope this helps.

Greirat

I didn't particularly like this VR game, the constant 2D cutscenes and 3rd person animations really break the immersion. In the end it just felt like I was playing regular RE4 with more awkward controls. The combat loop of stunning enemies with a shot, then getting close for a melee attack isn't a very good fit for VR either. It's a shame because they clearly put in a lot of effort to make some things feel good in VR, but they couldn't quite cover everything.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
How was Mercenaries not included from the start?

Top Bottom