• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 - New Details & Impressions from PSMUK

Jawmuncher

Main antagonists? Sure. In fact, RE is one of the few gaming series' I actively lap up regarding lore and minutiae.

I don't want a game full of Lisa Trevors, as great as she is. For RE villains, and villains generally, less is more. REmake was fully aware of this, only asking the player to face Lisa all of
three
times in the entire game. As such, her appearances were more memorable and disturbing than Nemesis, or Simmons, or Alien Isolation's eponymous big bad, or any number of insufferably persistent horror gaming antagonists.

There are several aspects of RE7 I'm very happy about.

But if it comes at the expense of staples that have been part of the series from day one, or worse, chases fashionable elements from modern horror games, then they're not really worth it.

A striking proportion of the monstrously large RE fanbase have strong and deserved fears that the series has gone off track, and you're going to hear about it until those fears are allayed, so I suggest you get used to it.

I don't think that's something that'll ever go away. We saw it with 4-6 and even with the spinoffs. Capcom could come out and say "were doing a classic game, a action game, and RE7" and people would still complain. "RE should never be action" etc.

Though at least if they catered to all things would ease up at least.

Neff

I don't think that's something that'll ever go away. We saw it with 4-6 and even with the spinoffs. Capcom could come out and say "were doing a classic game, a action game, and RE7" and people would still complain. "RE should never be action" etc.

Though at least if they catered to all things would ease up at least.

Well the RE fanbase has been divided ever since RE4, and believe me, I was one of those poor misguided 'RE is ruined!' guys at the time, and holy shit was I wrong. And I may very well be this time too. But I'm seeing even more of a divide this time than I did back in 2005. At least you could look at RE4 and know it was a RE game from Leon and Ada alone. Who the fuck is Ethan McFPS or his Silent Hill wife? Who cares?

It feels to me that Capcom read a NeoGAF thread and made a checklist of all the things people who no longer played RE wanted, rather than building upon what worked and defined RE. But again, I'm fully prepared (and hopeful) for the outcome that my instincts are wrong, and that RE7 is the 20th anniversary RE game fans are expecting.

The Ummah

Banned
I will NOT click on the spoilers. I will NOT.

I was already sold on this game, but these impressions have me even more excited. Pre-order is in (thank you GCN and Visa Checkout) and I'm ready to dive in butt-ass naked.

Not sure if I can get my hands on a PSVR, I can't justify it after my Christmas spending. Maybe next month, I really want to experience this game that way. Even if it isn't for the whole playthrough.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
At least you could look at RE4 and know it was a RE game from Leon and Ada alone. Who the fuck is Ethan McFPS or his Silent Hill wife? Who cares?

Yeah. There should NEVER be new characters in Resident Evil. Or a different story focus. I absolutely hated how RE2 was not about Chris and Jill, the only true RE characters. There should NEVER EVER be new characters in RE. Universes should NEVER grow. Especially not in a seventh canonical game in a massive series.

How dare they try to introduce new things in Resident Evil. We all want Chris and Jill in every game. But not Leon. He's a new thing. Fuck him.

Neff

Yeah. There should NEVER be new characters in Resident Evil. Or a different story focus. I absolutely hated how RE2 was not about Chris and Jill, the only true RE characters. There should NEVER EVER be new characters in RE. Universes should NEVER grow. Especially not in a seventh canonical game in a massive series.

How dare they try to introduce new things in Resident Evil. We all want Chris and Jill in every game. But not Leon. He's a new thing. Fuck him.

Clumsy sarcasm aside (again), there is such a thing as precedent, iconography and charisma. We've yet to see that whether Ethan will establish himself like he did his forebears.

But if I was a betting man, I'd say that the fact that he spends most of the game unseen and says little means he won't.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Yep,this is it..im so f***ing ready!!
Doing a Madhouse playthrough from the start and getting my shit wrecked.

I'm still hoping Capcom reveals some more Madhouse details before the game releases. I know Madhouse Mode makes the save system like a classic RE game (no checkpoints and can only save your game when you find a cassette in the environment), but if it does big remixed encounters maybe I'd want to wait until my second run to experience it?

I'm so split on this, I play most games (and especially RE games, which got me into this habit) on the hardest difficulty possible the first time I play the game for the best first experience (unless I think it'll actively dampen my enjoyment, but I'm a pretty durable gamer with more patience than most), but as it's normally an unlockable I hope they'll explain if it's the same game just harder or if it remixes certain elements more.

I am so split on this since I make a big deal about my first playthrough of a horror game.

It's been quite awhile since I've felt truly impatient for a game to hurry up and release but after reading all these previews (and playing the final addition to Beginning Hour) I feel like the kid turning the folds on an advent calendar back day by day.

Also I really wish I could afford a Pro and 4k TV now :/

Dusk Golem

It's been quite awhile since I've felt truly impatient for a game to hurry up and release but after reading all these previews (and playing the final addition to Beginning Hour) I feel like the kid turning the folds on an advent calendar back day by day.

Also I really wish I could afford a Pro and 4k TV now :/

With the PC demo coming out in a few days, I'm hoping my PC can run RE7 fine (it's not a super old PC, but it's starting to show its age). Given as it has a lot of optimization options and I do meet the requirements I'm sure I'm fine.

I kind of like their announce-release cycle recently. Technically we've only known about RE7 for 6 months... Actually 6 months to the day exactly! We're now about 5 weeks away from the game's release, but I do admit to getting to the excitement levels for it. I'm a horror enthusiast, so the games I get excited for are kind of predictable, but I am happy the early promise of what was shown is starting to develop further along.

Se_7_eN

I really want to read these "New Details" in the OP, ut I am trying to go in blind (Other than playing the demo)

Not much longer....
Jim-Halpert-Shrug-and-Leave-The-Office.gif

With the PC demo coming out in a few days, I'm hoping my PC can run RE7 fine (it's not a super old PC, but it's starting to show its age). Given as it has a lot of optimization options and I do meet the requirements I'm sure I'm fine.

I kind of like their announce-release cycle recently. Technically we've only known about RE7 for 6 months... Actually 6 months to the day exactly! We're now about 5 weeks away from the game's release, but I do admit to getting to the excitement levels for it. I'm a horror enthusiast, so the games I get excited for are kind of predictable, but I am happy the early promise of what was shown is starting to develop further along.

I am well aware Dusk lol, you've recommended some good indie horror fare I otherwise would have missed.

When you put the timeline in perspective it feels surreal, like this was first announced at least a year ago. Hope the quality manages to be consistent throughout. Unless I missed it has there been any indication what average game length is supposed to be? Also curious if there's NG+ shenanigans like the older titles.

Seeing as how I can't get the bleeding edge display options I'll def be getting this for PC too. Hoping Capcom leaves some VR mode breadcrumbs from the psvr version in a config file so us Vive and Rift users can check it out that way without having to wait a whole year :p

Jawmuncher

I don't agree with that at all. There's something's RE2 had that RE7 doesn't in terms of having that feel to it.
I've said before I'm fine with RE7, I'll be there say one. But there's still things I'm unsure about.

I've said before that if you showed someone this game and didn't say anything, I don't think the RE connection is obvious. That can be a good and bad thing. With RE4, it felt even with drastic changes like it was still there.

We can truly judge when the game is out.

Vibranium

Banned
It makes sense to not have Hollywood actors put a strain on your budget.

Well yeah that too haha. These days I like seeing lesser-known or used voice actors. If Capcom saves money I'm all for it, I don't want this game to bomb.

I don't know about other people, but I feel that "Resident Evil connection". I'm willing to bet there is a secret lab somewhere too haha.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Going by this info is safe to assume the Dirty Coin from the demo will unlock some sort of upgrade for Ethan then.

dlauv

I don't agree with that at all. There's something's RE2 had that RE7 doesn't in terms of having that feel to it.

Probably because it played like a carbon copy of the game before it with a similar art direction and designed for the same hardware.

Jawmuncher

Probably because it played like a carbon copy of the game before it with a similar art direction and designed for the same hardware.

I'm sure that plays into it too, but I dunno new character wise I still think RE2 had a safer ground in terms of new character introduction. With Claire being a big factor due to her being Chris sister. So even with a duo of new portags, it doesn't feel removed. At least to me.

Though of course that's not to say that I'm against new characters. I think a big factor is the "realistic" graphics this is hoing for. Which is quite removed from the series style. Especially when you compare the newest renders of classic characters.

Lik those fan shots that include all RE characters, right now the bakers and faces we have seen would look rather out of place.

This is nitpicking on my side, since I don't mind the change. But it's still something that's gonna bother me in the back of my head.

Dusk Golem

http://www.relyonhorror.com/in-dept...world-of-survival-horror-with-resident-evil-7

New preview by Rely On Horror. They confirm a few extra tidbits being Resident Evil die-hards:

01.) They tested and managed to surprise Capcom in how they beat the first boss fight with Jack Baker, confirming that an all knife run, while challenging, is possible.

02.) This felt a lot more like the original Resident Evil than they were expecting.

03.) The Bakers have more personality in them than most antagonist of the series. You learn a lot about them from a mixture of the environment (as its their house), what they say, notes you read, and how they go about things. The series has many monsters, but you often don't know the backstory of very few of them, with exceptions such as Birkin or Salazar. But the story-telling here is much more intelligent and brings out much more interesting and memorable antagonist.

04.) Boss battles they describe as a good deconstruction of them which works in RE's favor. "Capcom has taken the traditional boss fight and deconstructed it so that instead of looking for specific patterns, you just have to find a way to keep your ass alive while fending off an unpredictable madman that can use the environment against you just like you would yourself." But had it confirmed to him also each boss fight has several solutions to beat him, and he managed to beat the first Jack boss fight going knife-only.

05.) This actually confirms something I don't think was previously confirmed. I always thought the Dinner Scene was part of the same house the main hall was, IE the main house, but turns out the first house with the dinner scene is a separate house and you go through the garage to a separate building. He went back to the first house once Jack was defeated to scourge for supplies he missed while being chased knowing he was safe for a bit after beating the boss fight.

06.) "I was completely satisfied with how gunplay was handled in the game, and combat in general. I managed to find 40 bullets for my handgun, but despite that number, I still didn’t feel entirely safe. Aiming is realistic in terms of playing as someone who’s had no prior experience with guns (I compared it to the first time I fired a gun). There’s only a very small white dot to pinpoint where you’ll shoot, but the act of shooting isn’t as simple as just aiming that cursor where you want to shoot. Aiming is a bit floaty, with headshots being a little tricky to pull off for those used to traditional gunplay in first-person games.

I put the knife to good use as well, using it to slash through breakable boxes hiding items, and also using it for a small environmental puzzle that reminded me a lot of the spider-web-covered doors from the original Resident Evil. And, of course, I may have even used it during a certain boss fight *winks*. The one thing I didn’t use much of was the guarding mechanic, where you can make Ethan raise an arm to block incoming attacks, lessening the damage you’d normally receive from them. I did duck a lot, though, especially when Jack was wildly swinging his shovel at me."

07.) Apparently one of the goriest scenes of the whole series happens in the first hour of the game involving the Moulded, but not talking (or can't talk) about the specifics of that.

08.) "Let’s go back to that dinner scene, though—the one that gives us a good taste of what to expect when we’re welcomed to the Baker family come January 24th. That scene isn’t just Capcom showing off their new crop of baddies, and their love for The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. To me, that scene signifies something more, something deeper.
Capcom is taking all the horrifying ingredients that made the series one of the most cherished, and they’re mixing them up into a dish that’s going to wash away the taste previous installments have left in fans’ mouths, replacing it with a delicious return to the world of survival horror."

Jawmuncher

http://www.relyonhorror.com/in-dept...world-of-survival-horror-with-resident-evil-7

New preview by Rely On Horror. They confirm a few extra tidbits being Resident Evil die-hards:

01.) They tested and managed to surprise Capcom in how they beat the first boss fight with Jack Baker, confirming that an all knife run, while challenging, is possible.

02.) This felt a lot more like the original Resident Evil than they were expecting.

03.) The Bakers have more personality in them than most antagonist of the series. You learn a lot about them from a mixture of the environment (as its their house), what they say, notes you read, and how they go about things. The series has many monsters, but you often don't know the backstory of very few of them, with exceptions such as Birkin or Salazar. But the story-telling here is much more intelligent and brings out much more interesting and memorable antagonist.

04.) Boss battles they describe as a good deconstruction of them which works in RE's favor. "Capcom has taken the traditional boss fight and deconstructed it so that instead of looking for specific patterns, you just have to find a way to keep your ass alive while fending off an unpredictable madman that can use the environment against you just like you would yourself." But had it confirmed to him also each boss fight has several solutions to beat him, and he managed to beat the first Jack boss fight going knife-only.

05.) This actually confirms something I don't think was previously confirmed. I always thought the Dinner Scene was part of the same house the main hall was, IE the main house, but turns out the first house with the dinner scene is a separate house and you go through the garage to a separate building. He went back to the first house once Jack was defeated to scourge for supplies he missed while being chased knowing he was safe for a bit after beating the boss fight.

06.) "I was completely satisfied with how gunplay was handled in the game, and combat in general. I managed to find 40 bullets for my handgun, but despite that number, I still didn’t feel entirely safe. Aiming is realistic in terms of playing as someone who’s had no prior experience with guns (I compared it to the first time I fired a gun). There’s only a very small white dot to pinpoint where you’ll shoot, but the act of shooting isn’t as simple as just aiming that cursor where you want to shoot. Aiming is a bit floaty, with headshots being a little tricky to pull off for those used to traditional gunplay in first-person games.

I put the knife to good use as well, using it to slash through breakable boxes hiding items, and also using it for a small environmental puzzle that reminded me a lot of the spider-web-covered doors from the original Resident Evil. And, of course, I may have even used it during a certain boss fight *winks*. The one thing I didn’t use much of was the guarding mechanic, where you can make Ethan raise an arm to block incoming attacks, lessening the damage you’d normally receive from them. I did duck a lot, though, especially when Jack was wildly swinging his shovel at me."

07.) Apparently one of the goriest scenes of the whole series happens in the first hour of the game involving the Moulded, but not talking (or can't talk) about the specifics of that.

08.) "Let’s go back to that dinner scene, though—the one that gives us a good taste of what to expect when we’re welcomed to the Baker family come January 24th. That scene isn’t just Capcom showing off their new crop of baddies, and their love for The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. To me, that scene signifies something more, something deeper.
Capcom is taking all the horrifying ingredients that made the series one of the most cherished, and they’re mixing them up into a dish that’s going to wash away the taste previous installments have left in fans’ mouths, replacing it with a delicious return to the world of survival horror."

Can't really agree about that gunplay until we see more guns and the actual damage values of enemies. In the demo it's anything but good imo.

dlauv

Honestly the gunplay felt like a mistake in the demo. It hurt my hand. Turning the acceleration to off and the sensitivity to 7 made it feel proper. Acceleration doesn't really need to be there with a quick turn anyway. All it did was make the controls feel like sifting through a small layer of vaseline.

Top Bottom