• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 8: Village |OT| Dat Atmosphere is THICC

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I didn’t like the game, at all, but I’m sure I’m in the minority thinking the last stretch with the factory and
Chris
was the best part. If you’re going over the top and camp just embrace it.

I was specifically referring to the factory segment. Very atmospheric! Like I mentioned in an earlier post; that specific settings just pushes a button spoopy wise.

Nyxir

So is the hdr calibration still broken as all RE games? If so does anyone has the correct sittings?
Vick Vick please help :(

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I was very worried too, but then, despite being dreaded CoD, narrative wise i feel like that short segment helped complete Ethan's story

There is a lot of iconic characters in recent resident evil games, Jack, Marguerite, Alex, Lady Dimitrescu Heisenberg, Donna and others on VILLAGE. Hell zombie Mia and Zoe were popular too i bet.

its much better than RE6, REvelations and others
idk why guys are finding this funny, i love those characters and they have plenty of fans 🤷‍♂️ RE7 wouldn't be the same without the family. 💗 And RE8 without Lady Dimitrescu. They are an essential part of their growing popularity

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Finished Story. A lot of challenges await!

Although taking my sweet damn time and, in my opinion, been very thorough it seems I missed a good handful of stuff!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
There's a surprising number of optional levels & hidden treasures. Really enjoyable looking for everything.

Found the rare fish, rare pig, & rare bird.

Astral Dog

favorite Resident Evil games :messenger_grinning::

1.VILLAGE👑Ethan
2.RE4
3.REmake1
4.RE7
5.REmake2(haven't played the og so it takes its place)
6.Rev2 💕Alex
7.RE0
8.RE5
9.REmake3
10.Code Veronica X and Darkside Chronicles.(would be higher with a REmake)

🧟‍♂️Resident Evil 6(this one improved a lot with the rereleases)

☢️Revelations 1

💀 Outbreak

makaveli60

Finished the game yesterday and have to say this is perhaps my favorite game in the franchise and IMO Capcom’s best game ever.

I liked RE7 and it was awesome both technically and as a game but this just completely obliterates it, it’s on a whole another level. The general consensus is that Japanese devs were left behind during the ps360 era but it seems they’re back. Like wtf? This is the first time I had serious nextgen vibes on my ps5. I know it’s crossgen (I had a similar feeling with Destiny back in the day) and I guess the graphical differences are minimal but it has such insane production values that it truly feels like a nextgen game. Every corner is so painstakingly detailed that it rivals Naughty Dog’s and Rockstar’s best efforts. Thanks to the above and the animations, it’s one of the most immersive games I’ve ever played. You have such a sense of location it’s crazy. I guess this is the result when you have the budget, the talent, and not developing an open world game. It was so refreshing playing a 100% handcrafted linear game after neverending open worlds. It brought back my gaming memories when open world was just a dream and games were similarly handcrafted. Every damn location in the game oozes atmosphere and the variety is insane. Props to the actors and sound design as well! Yeah, you can tell I’m really amazed.

Gameplay is also awesome. I won’t spoil anything but the variety in it during the 12 hours is unbelievable. And there is surprisingly little backtracking and there are a lot of optional places. We need more games like this. Open worlds have their place of course and I love those too but there is nothing like a handcrafted linear experience.
And I also loved the gunplay. You could really feel the difference between the start and the end of the game gunplay-wise, thanks to the upgrades. And the game just doesn‘t stop surprising you. Everytime you think they can’t beat what you saw they laugh at you and throws at you some even crazier thing. And it never ever becomes boring as the variety is awesome as I said, both gameplay and location-wise.

So yeah, I can‘t recommend it enough. One of the best games I ever played. Bring on the nextgen only sequel!

fart town usa

Gold Member
Finished the game yesterday and have to say this is perhaps my favorite game in the franchise and IMO Capcom’s best game ever.

I liked RE7 and it was awesome both technically and as a game but this just completely obliterates it, it’s on a whole another level. The general consensus is that Japanese devs were left behind during the ps360 era but it seems they’re back. Like wtf? This is the first time I had serious nextgen vibes on my ps5. I know it’s crossgen (I had a similar feeling with Destiny back in the day) and I guess the graphical differences are minimal but it has such insane production values that it truly feels like a nextgen game. Every corner is so painstakingly detailed that it rivals Naughty Dog’s and Rockstar’s best efforts. Thanks to the above and the animations, it’s one of the most immersive games I’ve ever played. You have such a sense of location it’s crazy. I guess this is the result when you have the budget, the talent, and not developing an open world game. It was so refreshing playing a 100% handcrafted linear game after neverending open worlds. It brought back my gaming memories when open world was just a dream and games were similarly handcrafted. Every damn location in the game oozes atmosphere and the variety is insane. Props to the actors and sound design as well! Yeah, you can tell I’m really amazed.

Gameplay is also awesome. I won’t spoil anything but the variety in it during the 12 hours is unbelievable. And there is surprisingly little backtracking and there are a lot of optional places. We need more games like this. Open worlds have their place of course and I love those too but there is nothing like a handcrafted linear experience.
And I also loved the gunplay. You could really feel the difference between the start and the end of the game gunplay-wise, thanks to the upgrades. And the game just doesn‘t stop surprising you. Everytime you think they can’t beat what you saw they laugh at you and throws at you some even crazier thing. And it never ever becomes boring as the variety is awesome as I said, both gameplay and location-wise.

So yeah, I can‘t recommend it enough. One of the best games I ever played. Bring on the nextgen only sequel!
Right on. Your write up captures my feelings too.

Just an absolute joy to play, runs great, looks great, etc. Capcom nailed it.

Hoppa

Just beat the hunchback and it was such a dip compared to the other 2 castles. I was surprised it was over so quick I assumed he'd transform again

fart town usa

Gold Member
favorite Resident Evil games :messenger_grinning::

1.VILLAGE👑Ethan
2.RE4
3.REmake1
4.RE7
5.REmake2(haven't played the og so it takes its place)
6.Rev2 💕Alex
7.RE0
8.RE5
9.REmake3
10.Code Veronica X and Darkside Chronicles.(would be higher with a REmake)

🧟‍♂️Resident Evil 6(this one improved a lot with the rereleases)

☢️Revelations 1

💀 Outbreak

My list hasn't changed much:
R3make
RE5
RE2make
RE8
RE4
RERev2
RE6
REmake
RE7
RECV
RERev
RE0
RE2
RE1
RE3

I don't hate any of them though.
Mine based purely on gameplay and what I like from the RE series

RE1
RE2
RE: CVX
RE3
Remake 2
RE8
RE7
REmake 3
REmake
Rev2
RE4
RE0
Rev1
RE5
RE6

Edit: Cool that you both have Rev2 relatively high on each list. That game is a total gem. Gave me hope for the series after Rev1 and RE6, lol.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
This is probably a weird comparison but the game's story reminds me a little of Ninja Scroll. The enemy bosses are these sexy/grotesque mutant beings each with their own gimmick and you take em out one by one.

4ctBXUx.jpg

The Baker Family in 7 is more of an Evil Dead vibe.

fart town usa

Gold Member
This is probably a weird comparison but the game's story reminds me a little of Ninja Scroll. The enemy bosses are these sexy/grotesque mutant beings each with their own gimmick and you take em out one by one.

4ctBXUx.jpg

The Baker Family in 7 is more of an Evil Dead vibe.
That dudes death is awesome, when he falls into the water.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Just tried the most difficult setting (shadow or something). Can't even get past the first monster.
Did you go in completely fresh? Like no new game + or anything? I hear it's just insanely brutal without upgraded weapons. Excited to see what streamers do with VOS and base character stats/guns.

makaveli60

Mine based purely on gameplay and what I like from the RE series

RE1
RE2
RE: CVX
RE3
Remake 2
RE8
RE7
REmake 3
REmake
Rev2
RE4
RE0
Rev1
RE5
RE6

Edit: Cool that you both have Rev2 relatively high on each list. That game is a total gem. Gave me hope for the series after Rev1 and RE6, lol.
You seem like an RE fan (avatar, etc.). Is Rev2 really worth playing? Rev1 was one of my worst gaming experiences so I didn’t dare touch the sequel yet. Also my RE list would look a lot like yours so I’m really interested in your opinion about Rev2

Excess

I thought this was hilarious. DrDisrespect acts all cool and confident because he foresees the scenario in the bedroom of House Beneviento. But once he puts the fuse in the elevator, he starts panicking and freaks out. "pie_tears_joy:

(Obvious spoilers, folks)

Last edited:

TMLT

I have it at the edge of my series top 5. I'd put 4,2 and REmake ahead of it, maybe RE2make as well but i'm on the fence with that.

Really good mix of action and horror imo. On the more action side I actually enjoyed the
Later portion of the game that some have criticized. The Heisenberg boss fight and Chris and his his crew storming the village COD style was pretty badass imho.

I also liked how there was a feeling of your character getting more powerful as the game progressed via the various upgrades from the Duke. Satisfying.

When it came to the horror bits
That fucking baby was horrendous. Worse than Lisa from PT, worse than Pyramid Head, Nemesis, Jack Baker, Mr X, you name it. That was the most intensely disturbing section of any game ever imo. Other than that I thought the factory was pretty creepy with its Tetsuo-esque body horror feel. The cellars of the castle were a bit creepy, and I found some of the lycan encounters to be very tense because of how quick and aggressive they are. That first encounter with a giant werewolf where you try to get to the grenade launcher was intense too.

This is a compliment and a criticism at the same time - I feel like they almost threw too much of their ideas into one game. Lady D and her castle could have been expanded into an 8-12 hour game all by itself imo, same with Heisenbergs part. You've got two of the best antagonists and best locations in series history in the same game PLUS several more locations and antagonists besides those two, and this is in a not especially long game. Again though this is good as well as bad, because it does give the game plenty of variety and a strong pace.

vpance

I thought this was hilarious. DrDisrespect acts all cool and confident because he foresees the scenario in the bedroom of House Beneviento. But once he puts the fuse in the elevator, he starts panicking and freaks out. "pie_tears_joy:

(Obvious spoilers, folks)

Ehh, there was no freak out. Doc is too good.

Best part of this game is watching streamers play through this section.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
We're doing list now, ok I'll throw my hat in
REmake
RE2
REmake2
RE
RE3
REcv
REmake3
RE4
RE8
RE0
RErev2
RE5
RE7
RErev
RE6

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I finished it a couple days ago and I rarely and I mean rarely replay games. Probably less than 1% of games I play I play more than once. In an age where multiple playthroughs by many in the gaming community are not only commonplace but expected.

I started a 2nd playthrough in this one. One, because I really enjoyed it, minus the last hour of the game, which I thought felt out of place, much like a certain part in RE7. But the unlockables are cool, and the challenge system is fun. Right now I'm enjoying infinite ammo on some weapons. I doubt I'll play it all the way through to the end again though I'm already getting bored. I'm midway through the village part of the game and the novelty of the infinite ammo is wearing off.

Not sure where I'd rank it among RE games. I liked 7 ever so slightly more, but loved both.

I think my favorite part of the game was the castle though. Dimitrescu was the most interesting of the enemies IMO.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Of the post RE7 games, this is definitely on part with REMake 2 for me at the top. Basically RE8 = REMake 2 > RE7 > REMake 3 for me.

Going to wrap up my Hardcore NG+ run and probably go through the next difficulty, too. Mercenaries is also a ton of fun.

fart town usa

Gold Member
You seem like an RE fan (avatar, etc.). Is Rev2 really worth playing? Rev1 was one of my worst gaming experiences so I didn’t dare touch the sequel yet. Also my RE list would look a lot like yours so I’m really interested in your opinion about Rev2
It's pretty different from Rev1. I like Rev2 a lot but mostly because it caught me off guard cause I expected something much worse. It seems like you either like it or you don't. It'd be more fun in 2 player local co-op but the gameplay works just fine in single player.

It's got solid combat, inventive co-op mechanics, good atmosphere, engaging story, not too many puzzles but a few. I think it's the most solid RE title for the era it released; RE5, 6, Rev1.

I've played through it 3 times and have always had a good time. Just keep in mind that it released for $40 and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Chiggs

Regarding RE7 vs RE8....

I can see the rose-tinted nostalgia for RE7 is alive and well, with people seemingly forgetting the terrible ship segment and a complete lack of enemy variety. Admittedly, RE7 has some great DLC, but I'd still overwhelmingly give the nod to RE8, even before its DLC hits.

dcx4610

Beat it tonight. Goofy and felt like if Kojima was given the Resident Evil franchise. Still, despite the story, the graphics were great, the pacing, set pieces, level design, exploration, upgrades, etc. were all great and addicting. I'm glad the game had plenty of exploration and puzzles (even if they were easy) and not just an action-fest.

I still greatly prefer over the shoulder classic Resident Evil but Village is certainly worth your time. I'm tempted to play all of the RE games again in order now. I've only played each game once and on their original systems released. I haven't had a chance to play all of the remasters on Xbox One/PS4 so that might be up next.

GymWolf

I still need to finish it but for me it's nowhere near the first 4 games tbh.

And i honestly liked 5 more too, wesker is just superior to all these puddle deep "lords" combined, no matter how big are the tits on the dimitrescu huge bitch.

It is better than 6/7 and the revelations games at least.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Yeah, I got bored. The infinite ammo was fun, but made it too easy and it got repetitive. So my streak at not beating games a second time continues. I just can't do it, I don't have the attention span.

SuperGooey

This is my list. Going for platinum really reveals a lot of the blemishes of Village.

S-tier: REmake, RE4, RE2R
A-tier: RE1, RE2, RE3
B-tier: Rev 2, RE5
C-tier: CVX, RE8, RE3R, RE7
D-tier: Dead Aim, Rev 1
Shit: RE0, RE6

C-tier are still games I really like (enough to replay them all 5 plus times), but they have too many obvious problems that keep me from truly loving them. I appreciate a lot of what RE8 attempted, but I'm ready for the next RE to be more focused on classic survival-horror. I think using RE2R as a base is a good start since I think that's by far the best RE game within the last decade.

Neff

After a week and three runs through Village I'm feeling comfortable enough to rank it-

14. Resident Evil Revelations
13. Resident Evil 3 (2020)
12. Resident Evil 2 (2019)
11. Resident Evil 7
10. Resident Evil 3 (1999)
9. Resident Evil 0
8. Resident Evil Revelations 2
7. Resident Evil 5
6. Resident Evil Village
5. Resident Evil 6
4. Resident Evil Code Veronica
3. Resident Evil 2 (1998)
2. Resident Evil 4
1. Resident Evil (1996)/Resident Evil (2002)

Incredible game.

xrnzaaas

For me Village is better than RE7 even though it lacks scary scenes. It's more fun to play, it has some cool locations (plus there's a bigger variety of them), the boss fights are cooler and it feels bigger in general. It's not as good as RE2R though, I still prefer tpp Resident Evil games.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
14. Resident Evil Revelations
13. Resident Evil 3 (2020)
12. Resident Evil 2 (2019)
11. Resident Evil 7
10. Resident Evil 3 (1999)
9. Resident Evil 0
8. Resident Evil Revelations 2
7. Resident Evil 5
6. Resident Evil Village
5. Resident Evil 6
4. Resident Evil Code Veronica
3. Resident Evil 2 (1998)
2. Resident Evil 4
1. Resident Evil (1996)/Resident Evil (2002)
giphy.webp

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
My updated list from earlier this year.

Resident Evil 2: Remake
Resident Evil: Remake
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil Village
Resident Evil 7
Resident Evil 1
Resident Evil 3 Remake
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil: Revelations 2
Resident Evil 3
Resident Evil Zero
Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
Resident Evil 6

Resident Evil 7 vs Resident Evil Village

While I do find both games enjoyable, there are things that I certainly don't like about it.

Resident Evil 7

After your fight with Marguerite Baker, finding the D-series arm and then finding the two Key Cards, I think the game begins to go a bit down hill. The Lucas area is not as scary as the first half of the game and that's of course by design since Lucas is there to play "games" with Ethan. However, it doesn't help the fact that after completing this area, you get to the boat where I think its the most boring part of the game. Not only do you have to have an entire flashback scene, you have to basically play the entire area again twice.

The game does get better after completing this area, but the fact that there's no real final boss (meaning it it feels more like a cutscene than a boss fight), it does bring the score down a notch.

Resident Evil Village

I think the Karl Heisenberg boss fight and the Chris section are the low points for me in this game. I just think they just tried to go too over the top instead of remaining grounded which is what I like about the Resident Evil series. The Heisenberg fight felt like this mech assault game, which was followed by an opening sequence to a Call of Duty campaign. If I could make some small changes, I would have you fight Heisenberg in his human form and then he changes to that big mechanical monster to finish off the fight.

The Chris segment was just fan service and like I said before, it just seemed a bit too over the top. Thankfully this part is very short and you go back to playing Ethan. The game ended stronger than Resident Evil 7 because they actually gave you a more challenging boss fight this time around.

I wish they made it possible to fight Lady D and Heisenberg for a few minutes before they transformed into those huge monsters. I think that would have been perfect IMO.

SuperGooey

It's weird. I played Village 5 times in a row to get as many trophies and challenges complete as possible. It was an adrenaline rush. I had the impression that I LOVED the game.

Started a new game (not new game plus) on hardcore to play it slow. I really wanted to experience the game fresh again, and.... I kinda hate it. It's so weird, but each area in this game on its own is not that great. You can directly compare each area of the game to another RE that did it WAAAY better. My mind is blown at how my perspective of this game went from super positive to thinking it may be one of the worst games in the series. It doesn't help that I was playing RE4 which really "exposes" how weak of imitation Village is.

I have a feeling as time goes on, public opinion of Village will sour. Then again, I felt the same way about RE7, and people still praise that game. Maybe I just have weird taste. Regardless, Village is a low D-tier game for me, below Dead Aim and Rev 1.

Last edited:

tommib

It's weird. I played Village 5 times in a row to get as many trophies and challenges complete as possible. It was an adrenaline rush. I had the impression that I LOVED the game.

Started a new game (not new game plus) on hardcore to play it slow. I really wanted to experience the game fresh again, and.... I kinda hate it. It's so weird, but each area in this game on its own is not that great. You can directly compare each area of the game to another RE that did it WAAAY better. My mind is blown at how my perspective of this game went from super positive to thinking it may be one of the worst games in the series. It doesn't help that I was playing RE4 which really "exposes" how weak of imitation Village is.

I have a feeling as time goes on, public opinion of Village will sour. Then again, I felt the same way about RE7, and people still praise that game. Maybe I just have weird taste. Regardless, Village is a low D-tier game for me, below Dead Aim and Rev 1.
I’m on the same boat. It’s the worst RE I’ve ever played. Everything in it is a reuse of something but always worse, much worse. Not one original idea.

I never properly played 6 so in my book this the rock bottom of RE.

The similarities between village and 4 are pretty darn huge. Very much a love letter
Just the Village, really. The Castle functions more like the RPD Station in 2 (considering the existence of Lady D/Mr X) than the Castle in 4.

And thankfully, there is no awful Island section in RE8. They made the wise decision not to repeat that mistake lol

SuperGooey

I’m on the same boat. It’s the worst RE I’ve ever played. Everything in it is a reuse of something but always worse, much worse. Not one original idea.

I never properly played 6 so in my book this the rock bottom of RE.
RE6 is worse to me. No doubt.

Halcyon

I'm on playthrough 3 this time I'm gonna do hardcore with a few unlimited ammo weapons. Probably try to unlock the magnum and do some of the sillier challenges. My second time through I made sure to get everything and clear all the maps and stuff. I haven't done this with a game since 4.

Ever heard of burnout? Lol. You finished the game 5 times in 5 days and are wondering why ure getting sick of it 🤣

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Resident Evil Village

I think the Karl Heisenberg boss fight and the Chris section are the low points for me in this game. I just think they just tried to go too over the top instead of remaining grounded which is what I like about the Resident Evil series. The Heisenberg fight felt like this mech assault game, which was followed by an opening sequence to a Call of Duty campaign. If I could make some small changes, I would have you fight Heisenberg in his human form and then he changes to that big mechanical monster to finish off the fight.

The Chris segment was just fan service and like I said before, it just seemed a bit too over the top. Thankfully this part is very short and you go back to playing Ethan. The game ended stronger than Resident Evil 7 because they actually gave you a more challenging boss fight this time around.

I wish they made it possible to fight Lady D and Heisenberg for a few minutes before they transformed into those huge monsters. I think that would have been perfect IMO.

Agree 😊

Last edited:

Excess

Just a thought, but repeating the same thing over and over is a surefire way to begin disliking something. This applies to everything.

Top Bottom