• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 8: Village |OT| Dat Atmosphere is THICC

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I’m going all in on fully upgrading the STAKE and buying infinite ammo for it.

Is there a better option to start with? I have all the Lei and CP to do it just curious if there is something better.
no its by far the best weapon in the game especially for the village of shadows difficulty where it kills everything in one hit and destroys mini-bosses.

I had infinite ammo for the sniper rifle and the grenade launcher after my second playthrough and it made my third playthrough for the Stake a lot of fun. But it required literally an entire playthrough to get enough cash to get that thing fully upgraded. and then I didnt have enough CP for it so had to fight the final boss with like 30 magnum rounds i got from upgrading the ammo capacity and it still wasnt enough.

Just beat the 4th boss on village of shadows and aside from the magnum i havent had to use anything else. its a beast.

Neff

Capcom has made a few new franchises that have been pretty successful too like Dragon's Dogma.

Dragon's Dogma was a massive financial gamble for them which only got off the ground because it was a passion project of a director with a solid track record. When was the last major new IP from them before that? Lost Planet? Dead Rising? They can't just throw these things out regularly, and certainly not at Village's budget level.

The Silverlord

Neo Member
Blasted through Village of Shadow in just under three hours largely thanks to the STAKE and unlimited ammo, so definitely recommended. But there were still tough moments in the lab and a tricky Heisenberg! Also got to the end with one first aid kit remaining, thank goodness Duke had a seemingly unlimited (if increasingly expensive) stock or the run would've ended!

HotPocket69

Banned
Blasted through Village of Shadow in just under three hours largely thanks to the STAKE and unlimited ammo, so definitely recommended. But there were still tough moments in the lab and a tricky Heisenberg! Also got to the end with one first aid kit remaining, thank goodness Duke had a seemingly unlimited (if increasingly expensive) stock or the run would've ended!

Shit, forgot about that Heisenberg fight for Village of Shadows 😬

Dacon

Banned
Dragon's Dogma was a massive financial gamble for them which only got off the ground because it was a passion project of a director with a solid track record. When was the last major new IP from them before that? Lost Planet? Dead Rising? They can't just throw these things out regularly, and certainly not at Village's budget level.
Capcom can take whatever risks they want based off of the Capcom branding alone, they themselves have even expressed a desire to create more new IPs because they can't rely on sequels alone.

Had they taken that risk with launching a new IP with this game it would have been more than successful. Being a new entry in an existing franchise is not always enough to sell a game to begin with.

Last edited:

The Silverlord

Neo Member
It's not that bad. Save the charged shot for whenever he gets too close. Stick to gunfire otherwise. I almost beat him on the first try and easily beat him on the second.

The Dualsense gets a real workout in that fight. it's feels so fucking good.
Took me a bit to work out the strategy, and also that placing those sheets of metal between you and him help slow his charge. The whole lab and furnace section was mightily impressive

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
After completing this I've come to an conclusion......
I wouldn't mind a RE2/3 Directors Cut all in one Next-Gen port, new costumes, new areas that was cut & reimplantation of the RE3 OST with RE2OST being included by default
Both of those games would benefit from Ray Tracing and Native 4K visuals, 3D Audio & Dualsense haptic feedback :messenger_weary::messenger_ok:

Lone Denjin

After completing this I've come to an conclusion......
I wouldn't mind a RE2/3 Directors Cut all in one Next-Gen port, new costumes, new areas that was cut & reimplantation of the RE3 OST with RE2OST being included by default
Both of those games would benefit from Ray Tracing and Native 4K visuals, 3D Audio & Dualsense haptic feedback :messenger_weary::messenger_ok:
I was so damn disappointed with the RE3 remake. If anything needs to be worked on again it is that.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Working my way through all the challenges. I completed most of them except for the melee only run and the mercenaries.

How hard is a melee only run?
Melee seems easy on Casual with the karambit knife.

Power Pyx has a good guide.

Resident Evil 8 Village Trophy Guide & Roadmap (powerpyx.com)

"For this you must beat the entire game using only a melee weapon (one of the knives). You should beat the story first. Then you can buy the “Karambit Knife” from the Extra Content Shop in the Main Menu. It deals much more damage than the default knife. After the story you also unlock the “Challenges” Menu in the Pause Menu, which lets you keep track of this trophy and you can see there if you messed up. Make sure you do it in New Game+ on Casual (Easy) difficulty.

So the ONLY two bosses where you may briefly use weapons are Heisenberg during his first phase (while driving the vehicle) and Miranda at the end of the fight when she throws you down and creates a big yellow orb over her head (must shoot the orb), but must switch back to the knife immediately after to finish her off. You must also use weapons on the environment at a few points to advance the story, we’ll go over these below in the Mini-Walkthrough but here’s a quick overview: The 5 Bells Puzzle in Castle Dimitrescu (must also shoot 1 window in the roof and shoot the chandelier to reach the bells), blow up the wall in the Armory during one of the Witch minibosses (Pipe Bomb or Grenade Launcher, if the Witch takes splash damage from it that shouldn’t matter), shoot a piece of yellow wood during Moreau Reservoir area, the Grinder (orange dots under big spinning blade fan) in the Factory, when you fly towards a Ventilator Fan in the factory (shoot orange dot on fan), use the Laser Pointer 3 times on the House in Chris’s section (it will automatically kill nearby Lycans which is allowed, but DON’T use laser pointer against the Mace-wielding boss).

To be safe check your in-game Challenge tracker after each of these to make sure it still says 0. Shooting the environment seems to be generally okay, you just can’t shoot enemies with firearms outside of the two specific boss exceptions."

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Old ass village - Check
A Castle - Check
Boat + underwater monster - Check
Industrial Setting - Check
Lots of explosives - Check
Merchant - Check
Sniper Rifle - Check
Campy vibe - Check

Notice I said love letter, as in homage. Not a direct one on one imagining constricted by the previous setting>function partnership. If that makes sense.

I may go back to RE4 some day but those are all the reasons that I hated it. I guess I was mentally ready for it in RE8 cause I love the game. RE4 went against everything I loved about the first trilogy and I couldn't deal lol

Any advice for Chris’ section on Village of Shadows difficulty?

I haven’t had much trouble until now. His guns are too weak and I’m overwhelmed so easily.

SlimySnake

Any advice for Chris’ section on Village of Shadows difficulty?

I haven’t had much trouble until now. His guns are too weak and I’m overwhelmed so easily.
i just did this lol

skip the wolves. save your ammo and more importantly your health packs.

the next section stay back and let them come to you. too many snipers. dont have that fight in the alley. bring the back to the house.

use grenades in the alley against the swarm of enemies when they spawn the big guy. then lead them back to the houses.

skip the final set of enemies in the alley. run past them and activate the cutscene in the courtyard.

the first two laser bombs are easy. for the last one, save all of your grenades and throw them to thin out the herd. you dont have to kill them all. just get enough of them so you can run to the back and go into the house, come out the other side and you should have enough time to do the last laser as long as you keep moving and dont let the sniper get you.

Last edited:

The Silverlord

Neo Member
Flash grenades generally buy you time with the laser (by stunning enemies) but I found in Village of Shadows difficulty they didn't seem to have any effect at all. I hit this section with around 2:20 on the clock (and when I did a manual restart here it seemed to add 10 minutes on) so I had a bit of a panic amid the ferocity of those charging lycans.

Still, just go slow and steady, and at the laser part try and get them methodically off before you get swamped. If you get a laser off all lycan enemies are auto-downed.

tommib

Gameplay\combat and boss fights in returnal shits on the gameplay and bosses of re8 from great heights that it's not even funny tho...

We can argue about price but in terms of gameplay returnal pretty much destroy re8.
I think the bosses in RE8 are embarrassingly bad. They’re a hot mess except for mother Miranda which is a-ok. You’re fighting them on unbelievably constrained spaces and can barely see a thing. Heisenberg was fine but so over the top and ridiculous - and easy - that even that one didn’t manage to elevate the previous bosses. And don’t get me started on “find the right doll to stab”.

I think the game is super lazy and uneventful. As a fan, to me, it’s shockingly bad.

Returnal comes from a far future compared to this.

Dacon

Banned
no its by far the best weapon in the game especially for the village of shadows difficulty where it kills everything in one hit and destroys mini-bosses.

I had infinite ammo for the sniper rifle and the grenade launcher after my second playthrough and it made my third playthrough for the Stake a lot of fun. But it required literally an entire playthrough to get enough cash to get that thing fully upgraded. and then I didnt have enough CP for it so had to fight the final boss with like 30 magnum rounds i got from upgrading the ammo capacity and it still wasnt enough.

Just beat the 4th boss on village of shadows and aside from the magnum i havent had to use anything else. its a beast.
That's kind of underwhelming, I just finished getting my final upgrade for the STAKE and now I wish I didn't.

I suppose I could sell it but after all that work :/

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Resident Evil Village (PC, PS5, PS4 Xbox Series X/S/One) is filled with cool secrets, dumb stuff, Easter eggs, and lore. Here are some of our favorite things throughout.

Resident Evil Village is great, but there's always something to nitpick. Here are some things that really get get on players' nerves.

Last edited:

dan76

Finished it last night with a time just under 13 hours. Amazing game, loved it. So much better the 7, the whole game is enjoyable from start to finish. Only missed a couple of things - the castle roof was pink on the map, couldn't make it blue. Looking forward to a new playthrough on a harder difficulty. I won't be buying infinite ammo though, it kills a lot of the enjoyment for me.

In a ranking scale I'd put this above Remake 2 because whilst the RPD is great, the sewers and lab section weren't. This game, whilst not quite reaching the heights of the RPD is consistently good. It's one of the most even RE games, as they always go down hill after a strong start. Top three with Remake 1 and 4 right now.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Finished it last night with a time just under 13 hours. Amazing game, loved it. So much better the 7, the whole game is enjoyable from start to finish. Only missed a couple of things - the castle roof was pink on the map, couldn't make it blue. Looking forward to a new playthrough on a harder difficulty. I won't be buying infinite ammo though, it kills a lot of the enjoyment for me.

In a ranking scale I'd put this above Remake 2 because whilst the RPD is great, the sewers and lab section weren't. This game, whilst not quite reaching the heights of the RPD is consistently good. It's one of the most even RE games, as they always go down hill after a strong start. Top three with Remake 1 and 4 right now.
That roof! lol. My 2nd playthrough, also playing with infinite ammo off, and I've managed to get everything blue save for the roof. Past the castle now so it is what it is. I'm assuming it's a crystal or something that I'm not seeing. Great for replay value though, as least for someone like me who wants to scour the environment and find everything.

I agree about the game being enjoyable from start to finish, it's just super playable and outright fun. I think it's easily the most "fun" you can have in any RE game so far, super impressive considering the series is 25 years old.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
That roof! lol. My 2nd playthrough, also playing with infinite ammo off, and I've managed to get everything blue save for the roof. Past the castle now so it is what it is. I'm assuming it's a crystal or something that I'm not seeing. Great for replay value though, as least for someone like me who wants to scour the environment and find everything.

I agree about the game being enjoyable from start to finish, it's just super playable and outright fun. I think it's easily the most "fun" you can have in any RE game so far, super impressive considering the series is 25 years old.

It's a crystal yeah. 💩

Bartski

Gold Member

Embarrassing Gaffe: ‘Resident Evil Village’ Actually Features More Of A Town Than A Village If You’re Going By The Technical Definition

(...) Obviously, as diehard survival-horror fans, our hopes were sky-high when we booted up the game and walked into what appeared to be a suitably dense settlement containing fewer than one thousand residents. It was something that might be described as akin to a hamlet. But we couldn’t help cringing as we explored further and discovered that the game contains numerous buildings across a wide parcel of land and a population density that clearly pushed us into the realm of a town or township.

Most confusing of all, the game features four distinct mutant lords, which suggests a level of sophisticated municipal governance that far outstrips the classification of an unincorporated community. (...)

Yes, what he's saying implies that the gun trivializes VoS difficulty and I don't want that,

Any of the better weapons with infinite ammo will make Village of Shadows difficulty much easier.

I would just do the mode through new game plus with what you have if you want a more challenging experience.

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
Any of the better weapons with infinite ammo will make Village of Shadows difficulty much easier.

I would just do the mode through new game plus with what you have if you want a more challenging experience.

I was never going to use infinite ammo for anything thankfully.

I was never going to use infinite ammo for anything thankfully.

You can even turn off infinite ammo in the settings just in case.

I just need two achievements left to 100% the game.

I need to do the knife only play through which I’ll do with Chris’ knife and on Casual difficulty.

Lastly, I have to get an S rank on all the Mercenaries levels. Is that going to be impossible? I got A on most first try and I assume S is the next rank? So with some practice it should be doable I think...

Last edited:

SlimySnake

You can even turn off infinite ammo in the settings just in case.

I just need two achievements left to 100% the game.

I need to do the knife only play through which I’ll do with Chris’ knife and on Casual difficulty.

Lastly, I have to get an S rank on all the Mercenaries levels. Is that going to be impossible? I got A on most first try and I assume S is the next rank? So with some practice it should be doable I think...
highest rank is SS rank so thats the hardest. S rank is hard but not impossible.

they give you a lightsaber for getting all SS ranks lol

highest rank is SS rank so thats the hardest. S rank is hard but not impossible.

they give you a lightsaber for getting all SS ranks lol

That will likely be the achievement that will be the most work for me.

I’ll probably do the knife only run first since it sounds like fun. Working through Mercenaries for S rank sounds less fun =\

Durien

That village encounter at the start of the game is ridiculous on hard. Even after watching a walkthrough, I still don't know what to do. The final cutscene never seems to trigger regardless of how much time I survive, how much I move or how many enemies I kill.
I ran into this same issue, after dying over and over I changed the difficulty to normal, did nothing different and the cut scene triggered...*shrug*

Just finished the game. Overall I liked it. It was pretty interesting and I liked it better than just shooting at zombies.

Darak

I ran into this same issue, after dying over and over I changed the difficulty to normal, did nothing different and the cut scene triggered...*shrug*
It's strictly timed: the final cutscene will trigger at four minutes after the attack starts regardless of where you are. What you do to stay alive is not important (except climbing ladders: the hidden timer pauses while you are in a ladder, so it's best to avoid them). You don´t need to attack anything (and enemies have an infinite respawn, so it's a waste of ammo). The best tactics include exploiting the AI (staying still under the shotgun house confuses them, you can usually wait for 1-2 minutes there) and barricading yourself in the tower house for a while.

Great Hair

Banned
Austin Powers Reaction GIF

Last edited:

matty3092

Any suggestions for getting S rank on all mercenaries maps? It’s the last achievement I need.
Hmm not really tbh the only 2 I had difficulty with is "the factory 2" and "mad village 2" it's just really learning enemy spawns and keeping combos as much as possible. On the first 4 maps I never bought the rifle at all just bought the 2nd pistol and upgraded it first with only an upgrade to firepower once maybe twice on the cheapest shotgun. Then on the 4 harder maps upgraded my pistol as much as I could but bought the magnum to only use it against strong enemies.

Great Hair

Banned
i usually don't comment on reviews but this one seems like the guy is just determined to not like the game. i've played 5/10 games and this isn't one. meh.
The game is a generic overrated-garbage-shooter.

One with freezeframes after every kill, with boring characters and dumb puzzles for 5 year olds. Looks good once inside, outside though its rough. For a Resident Evil not terrifying at all (bar that one moment with YBAB chasing you).

The protagonist coming of 7 should be hardened, know what´s going on. Whines all the time, coughs like a smoker ... but knows well, he kind of invincible due his "mold-feature". Still manages to be annoying like snot in your Viking beard.

Completely non-sensical, canonical in the grand scheme, remove
7 and 8 and you wont miss out.
Weaker compared to 7, but both are nowhere near the RE2 Remake, and apparently we´re most likely having to go through a third time with this boring family-drama (bakers, winters, offspring, mia).

Chris shows up, kills the "false prophet" watta twist capcom uuuh im shittng myself, runs off into the sewers and starts building on a fucking tank ... LITERALLY! while the player is fighting thru the game.

That is Chris´s arc in the game, so he can hand over the keys for the panzer (vs Heisenberg, another boring character that does nothing really).

Generic garbage that only sold well due that false illusion of big thicc lady (being a lame ass boss). No one would have bought it, without the moniker Resident Evil.

Rental at best. Terrible, boring transylvanian Call of Duty.

One with freezeframes after every kill, with boring characters and dumb puzzles for 5 year olds. Looks good once inside, outside though its rough. For a Resident Evil not terrifying at all (bar that one moment with YBAB chasing you).

The protagonist coming of 7 should be hardened, know what´s going on. Whines all the time, coughs like a smoker ... but knows well, he kind of invincible due his "mold-feature". Still manages to be annoying like snot in your Viking beard.

Weaker compared to 7, but both are nowhere near the RE2 Remake, and apparently we´re most likely having to go through a third time with this boring family-drama (bakers, winters, offspring, mia).

Chris shows up, kills the "false prophet" watta twist capcom uuuh im shittng myself, runs off into the sewers and starts building on a fucking tank ... LITERALLY! while the player is fighting thru the game.

That is Chris´s arc in the game, so he can hand over the keys for the panzer (vs Heisenberg, another boring character that does nothing really).

Generic garbage that only sold well due that false illusion of big thicc lady (being a lame ass boss). No one would have bought it, without the moniker Resident Evil.

you must know smarter 5 year old's than i know, heh. different strokes for different folks, i suppose.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Finished it in about 12 hours. I thought it was really good. I guess im in the minority but I really liked Ethan by the end of the game, and I thought the ..
Chris section was awesome, it was a cool little break from being "underpowered" to come through and steam roll everything to show how advanced Chris and his team are at dealing with these situations.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

AQte4Ua.jpg

Looks like you expected something most of us knew we weren't be getting.
Critiquing most elements separately is as easy that... well, a five year old could do it. It's all about seeing past the imperfections and enjoying the ride.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned

Funny thing the item you couldn't find is what I find to be the games biggest flaws, the glimmer of suspended crystals is way too subtle,
like seriously out side of 1 plot thing, that is the biggest flaw I can think of in the game, length is perfect (10 hours for my first playthrough, ), bosses are solid, weapons and upgrades are great, the duke is a fun characters, gunplay is fun like it was in 7, but 8 address the lack of enemy variety 7 suffered from (though 7 is still an a+ game to me, 8 is the best re since 4)
I can't understate how happy I am that capcom righted the ship after 6
plus having a fantastic mercenaries mode again is great.

Top Bottom