• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 8: Village |OT| Dat Atmosphere is THICC

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Well hello there...

5FQpnXt.jpg
produce48 izone GIF

Kev Kev

I want to get this but I suck at these games. Is Easy difficulty really Easy? or is it still hard? I hate difficult games.
I also hate difficult games

If past resident evils are anything to go by, easy for Capcom is fairly forgiving and, well, easy. Compared to easy modes in other games, it’s a little tougher, especially in regards to boss fights which can be down right frustrating in Capcom games even on easy.

So is the easy mode easy? Yes, and no, but mostly yes. Have you played resident evil games before?

EDIT: ok I just realized that was post #99 and we are at 1k now 😑

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Man, I am loving Mercenaries in this game. I NEVER like Mercernaries in any RE game, but here it feels fresh and fun. It really brings out the best aspects of the shooting combat in this game.

There are a couple of perks in this mode that give you way faster speed which turns the game from a methodical shooter to a snap shooter like Call of Duty. Then you have some awesome perks like exploding zombies and execution that drastically increases your damage when enemy health is at 30% or less. It really helps on higher difficulties, and especially against bosses who go down in one hit if you can get them down to 30% health.

I have SS or SSS in 6 out of the 8 stages. Ran a perfect Factory run last night which is arguably one of the worst maps to keep your combo on. It's a goddamn maze but I never lost the combo and just destroyed everyone with my Uzi. This is so much fun.

Fighting Heisenberg on Village of Shadows difficulty is one of the dumbest fucking boss fights I’ve ever played. Welcome too:

-unavoidable damage
-no healing allowed until you get into phase 2
- Carpel tunnel/cramps from holding down RT/R2 constantly

They should have at least made the cool down for the rockets shorter on VoS this is fucking garbage.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Fighting Heisenberg on Village of Shadows difficulty is one of the dumbest fucking boss fights I’ve ever played. Welcome too:

-unavoidable damage
-no healing allowed until you get into phase 2
- Carpel tunnel/cramps from holding down RT/R2 constantly

They should have at least made the cool down for the rockets shorter on VoS this is fucking garbage.
i don't get why people play on super hard difficulty when it pisses them off like this

carlosrox

Banned
Jesus fuck this game is incredible.

I love how the RE team knows fans like me just love:

- ticking clocks
- statues
- paintings
- medieval stuff like armor, swords, etc
- animal motifs
- mansions
- keys
- hallways
- doors
- lots and lots of items
- puzzles
- backtracking

This game is such a brilliant entry in a pretty damn consistent series. I'd say the only real misstep was 6, and even the hate for that one was a bit overblown, though understandable.
5 was still an awesome game.

But ever since 7 it feels like Capcom is doing the right thing.

8 is fucking incredible. I can't believe how legitimately tense and scary it is. I have never leaned my body and tensed my shoulders so much playing a game before.

For reference I've now beaten the third major boss in the game.

I dunno if the game will have good replay value or be as captivating the second time, but at the very least as a first experience this game is really up there for me.

The visuals on an LG CX TV are to fucking die for.

The entire second boss part was some SERIOUS NOPE SHIT! Those that have gotten this far know what I'm talking about.

Awesome seeing RE this scary. I haven't been this scared of RE since I played 1 and 2 when I was a kid!

Last edited:
i don't get why people play on super hard difficulty when it pisses them off like this
Because I like to play on all the difficulties in RE games, but the way Heisenberg is designed does not mesh well with the hardest difficulty. It’s cheap and when I beat it a few minutes ago it felt like I just got lucky with his attack patterns instead of actually getting better at the fight.

carlosrox

Banned
I've gotten misty eyed a number of times playing this game just appreciating how far this series has come, and how it still keeps the flame of Sweet Home, Alone In The Dark, Myst, and RE1 alive.

And when you sit back and realize what you're playing, this game is truly fucking terrifying. Just imagine being in this situation. The locations are terrifying. You have vampires, werewolves, and psychotic cult shit going on. Beheaded goats, statues of Demons, etc. This is the last place anyone would ever wanna be.
Even if I don't consciously think about it cuz I'm jaded, it's amazing how damn dark and creepy the game is. Kid me would be terrified playing this game. Hell even the Zombies and music in RE1 creeped me out as a kid, I can't imagine how this game would make me feel.

Gotta appreciate that shit.

I just love how with RE7, the REmakes, and now RE8 they stick with the same style as RE1.

Really though the easiest way to describe this game is if RE1, RE4, and RE7 had a baby.

I've gotten misty eyed a number of times playing this game just appreciating how far this series has come, and how it still keeps the flame of Sweet Home, Alone In The Dark, Myst, and RE1 alive.
Resident Evil is pretty much the last man standing as far as video game franchises that meant so much to me as a teen goes.

Metal Gear is over, Silent Hill is over, but Resident Evil is still going strong and for that I am so thankful.

The entire second boss part was some SERIOUS NOPE SHIT! Those that have gotten this far know what I'm talking about.
My man! That part in the basement before the second boss fight was amazing as well. Such a creepy atmosphere + that
baby-looking thing
that chases you was insane. I wish they could've made the second mansion much longer, like Lady Dimitrescu's. I loved it anyway, definitely my highlight of the game so far.

I came here to moan a bit about the third boss, though lol. Seriously, it wasn't a difficult fight, but they ate through my ammo like it was candy -- I was left with basically nothing after it ended (although I got a good part of it back after looting the arena). If that's what Hardcore is like, I have no clue what awaits me when I replay it on the Village of Shadows or whatever it's called difficulty. That being said, this has already been better than half of the available RE titles and I'm nowhere near done with it. What a gem of a game.

On my 5th playthrough and just need this Bookworm trophy, for the last 3 playthroughs I've been stuck on 46 books read out of 47. Is there an easier way to find out which exact book or file i forgot to interact in the actual game? I managed to find all books in the opening house section. So which one is the 47th entry

Excess

I didn't realize that Jill Valentine's face model actress was involved much with the community, but apparently she is! She does streams often, and she even did one with her mo-cap/voice actress counter-part. Even better, though, she streamed Village cosplaying as Lady D. Yes, Jill as Lady D.

Rathalos

Banned
For some reason Village really isn't clicking with me, it's not scary at all and I find myself getting a bit lost, which is odd because I read they were going for a more linear experience. I dunno, it just feels like it's missing that 10% magic. I loved RE7 and the two remakes. After 6 hours nothing has come close to the family house in RE7. Plus technically it has issues, the stutter every time you kill am enemy is really annoying, and the huge frame drops during the daughter fights really ruined the encounters, after Digital Foundry's video I was hoping the devs would get a fast patch out. It just feels rushed and lacking polish which hasn't been the case in their other recent games.

nbkicker

Village for me wasn’t scary at all, where re 7 made me jump a few times, i enjoyed both games though, but wont be going back to village till i get moved into my new house, as just been playing it on parents 1080p tv from ps5, but did also notice a lot of stuttering or frame drops on certain parts deffently not as smooth as a experience as re7 running, especially noticable as i done a re7 play through on ps5 before playing village

tylrdiablos

I finished the PC version and whilst I did enjoy the majority of it... I just don't want to go through it again. The first hour or so is too "meh" for me to revisit.
Maybe I'll have another look if there's DLC released (RE7 got some?).

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
anGhRO9.jpg

"Knives Out" & Village of Shadows difficulty...
C O M P L E T E !

Now I've only got the two Mercenaries achievements left, but I don't know if it's worth it because I'm pretty awful at that mode.

Never again am I going to play that difficulty. The Heisenberg fight and the entire Chris section caused me too much stress. :lollipop_tongue:
I’m at that latter part now. Confronting the two Vârcolac when they meet you on the path was my last confrontation and there is just no time to reload. The Heisenberg had my controller shaking to the point I thought I was going to wear out the rumble in the controller. This will be my 4th time completing the game.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Quick question - will selling old weapons come back to haunt me later, if I’ve already gotten a better one?
Considering selling the first shotgun and handgun now that I’ve gotten upgrades

killatopak

Gold Member
Quick question - will selling old weapons come back to haunt me later, if I’ve already gotten a better one?
Considering selling the first shotgun and handgun now that I’ve gotten upgrades
Definitely sell it for your first playthrough.

The only drawbacks to selling it I guess is that the game keeps track whether you fully upgraded it or not. Unlocking infinite ammo on specific guns requires that you fully upgrade it.

Buying it back later is possible but slightly costly as you can’t buy it in its original state but it’s upgraded state if you ever did upgrade them. More upgrades means they’re much more expensive to buy.

I guess it’s basically just how much time and playthroughs you’re willing to invest for the infinite ammo perk is the question.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I
Definitely sell it for your first playthrough.

The only drawbacks to selling it I guess is that the game keeps track whether you fully upgraded it or not. Unlocking infinite ammo on specific guns requires that you fully upgrade it.

Buying it back later is possible but slightly costly as you can’t buy it in its original state but it’s upgraded state if you ever did upgrade them. More upgrades means they’re much more expensive to buy.

I guess it’s basically just how much time and playthroughs you’re willing to invest for the infinite ammo perk is the question.
I very rarely play games more than once, and I probably won’t be chasing the platinum.

I just remember in some older RE games the original weapons if FULLY powered up became insanely powerful, but they were weak most of the game.

killatopak

Gold Member
I

I very rarely play games more than once, and I probably won’t be chasing the platinum.

I just remember in some older RE games the original weapons if FULLY powered up became insanely powerful, but they were weak most of the game.
I don’t think that’s present in RE8. Actually, I do wonder why they didn’t implement that. Could have been a great incentive to keep the old weapons.

VN1X

Banned
Even though I really enjoyed the game I thought this review was pretty on point. Regardless I still think RE8 has hints of brilliance but I would've liked to see more puzzling, a focus on atmosphere (soundtrack anyone?) and survival elements.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I’m at that latter part now. Confronting the two Vârcolac when they meet you on the path was my last confrontation and there is just no time to reload. The Heisenberg had my controller shaking to the point I thought I was going to wear out the rumble in the controller. This will be my 4th time completing the game.

The best thing to do is lean a bit left in that field where the large vines come through, and then just run to pass the two Vârcolac completely. There's a checkpoint just a bit ahead (after maybe a two-foot drop), and they won't follow you over there. :)

Dynomite

It's it just me or was the advertisement for the game a little deceptive?
Chris is not a werewolf or even in much of the game

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Looking for a change in perspective? Don't worry, Fluffyquack has got you covered with this Resident Evil Village third-person mod! So whether you're in the mood for a 3rd person over-the-shoulder RE4 style experience or you just want to see what Ethan Winters looks like, this mod has you covered.

Want to download it for yourself? Here is the link! https://www.patreon.com/FluffyQuack

Resident Evil's 8th installment, Resident Evil Village, is filled with hidden secrets, Easter eggs, and references to previous Resident Evil games. But, did you find them all? Let's go through 22 Things You Didn't Know in Resident Evil Village.

Last edited:

Excess

Even though I really enjoyed the game I thought this review was pretty on point. Regardless I still think RE8 has hints of brilliance but I would've liked to see more puzzling, a focus on atmosphere (soundtrack anyone?) and survival elements.

His entire commentary sounds more like an analysis of RE4.

>Linear game design
>Little decision-making
>Laughable puzzles
>More silence than music
>Overpowered combat
>Huge storage space (I'm playing it now, and I only had to rearrange 3 times the entire game, and it can be expanded just like RE8)
>Enemies drop items

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Keeper's Diary is one of the most iconic files in Resident Evil history and we got Lady Dimitrescu (Maggie Robertson) to perform it in our video! Although this specific note appears in both the Resident Evil Remake and even Resident Evil 5: Lost in Nightmares, we opted for the original 1996 version!

Last edited:

sol_bad

I just started the game last night and man that ambush at the beginning was insanely hard on hardcore. I was going to rage quit but then figured out how to survive long enough.

Astral Dog

The atmisphere on village is amazing. The soundtrack is well made, it feels like it comes out straight of an horror movie, despite not being as melodic as other entries, VILLAGE has a good soundtrack, the credits theme is beautiful.

I understand the complaining about the action, RE7 and REmake 2 got the 'combat' so perfect for an horror game VILLAGE feels like a step down for many people, but its really RE4 to blame, Capcom puts that game on a pedestal as so above any other in the series and who can blame them, it got amazing reviews and was praised by everyone, it sold millions. Since shinji Mikami left they been copying Resident Evil 4

I sometimes feel like its holding them back, ironically the games that least resemble RE4 are the ones highly praised since then, RE7 is the opposite to 4.REmake2 LOOKS like 4 but doesn't play anything like it. Capcom will always try to make the next RE4 because thats the best Resident Evil game in their eyes, we will see how they remake it. If RE4 comes back we will see much more games like it 😳hopefully at least better than 5 and 6

Top Bottom