• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 8: Village |OT| Dat Atmosphere is THICC

MDSLKTR

1cKYcEF.jpg

oaYirXKc.jpg

I cant get over the fact that Ethan is the main protagonist in 2 major RE games yet he will always stay the faceless guy in the franchise. He will never be on any poster for the game, I just find it weird that they made him so faceless/nameless almost yet is now as important to the franchise. Carlos from RE3 has more game presence and recognition than this guy lol.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I cant get over the fact that Ethan is the main protagonist in 2 major RE games yet he will always stay the faceless guy in the franchise. He will never be on any poster for the game, I just find it weird that they made him so faceless/nameless almost yet is now as important to the franchise. Carlos from RE3 has more game presence and recognition than this guy lol.
Meh, Carlos is overrated, when he took over from Jill the game got worse lol

Ethan is, was supposed to be second to the Bakers. Then they made him main character again, the point is that he NEVER shows his face lol, but there is plenty to make him stand out imo. His family, he is a zombie playable character, mr. Average guy he will get his own fanbase sure, he is a good dad

Last edited:
Say whatever you want about the game as an RE entry.

However, as a first person shooter (a genre Japanese developers have largely avoided) this is one of the best ever made.

Compared to the likes of Half-Life 2, FEAR, Titanfall 2 and more.

Such amazing pacing, search action gameplay and very well done first person body awareness makes for a high bar in the industry.

To me this deserves GOTY just for that.

Half-Life Alyx and Doom Eternal in 2020 and then Village in 2021. What a time to be a first person shooter fan.

Last edited:
I am having an insanely hard time with the Mercenaries mode. My combos break too easily, even when using only the shotgun and/or the sniper rifle. It's incredibly frustrating because I'm only missing one trophy for me to get the platinum (the one you get for achieving an S rank or more in every stage).

Any tips you lads are willing to share? I even tried following a PowerPyx guide to see the best routes, but the enemies spawn and behave differently at some points and end up destroying my combo streaks, which usually puts me at an A rank or so. The only stage where I've been able to get an S rank (SS, in fact) is the Village one. I tried both Factory and Mansion and could only get an A.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I'm glad I persevered with hardcore. Yeah that opening attack was frustrating but now it feels balanced just right. Just enough ammo to get past the majority of encounters.

Mozzarella

Currently playing the game, started 3 days ago, i have to say it looks aaamaaaziing. The castle especially looks so good, I really like this kind of setting. The soundtrack seems great too, im liking the Duke soundtrack. Its unfortunate that the Castle area is done so quickly, im now entering the second lord some area with mists and dolls and i had to stop there for today, saved there, but looks creepy, that place.
The hype around Lady D and her sexy bugged daughters didnt deliver though, i just hoped for longer sections, harder fights and more clever puzzles, instead it was a very short sections, too easy fights (killed them with dagger lol), and easy straightforward puzzles. I went back the village and did some exploration too.
Overall the game is good, i enjoyed 7 a lot and this improves the gameplay. However it has less scary atmosphere, the stalker in 7 (Jack) was more terrifying, the atmosphere was darker, but in Village i understand its closer to RE4 while RE7 was closer to RE1. Still the atmosphere in RE village is still delivering in its own ways. Really cool game so far, just again i wish the Castle was a bigger section, i mean the lord, i think we either could cut them to 2 lord with bigger sections or kept them as 4 with extra play time, but that will be risky because you need quality content to fill it. Anyway Lady D boss fight was awful, it was easy and stupid writing wise, i know the game is not about quality writing but then in RE1 Remake the story made sense and the game wasnt like that. So yeah, my those are my first impressions, im liking the game and looking forward for other areas, i bought it full price, was thinking of waiting for sale but then i love this franchise a lot so i decided to jump in as i usually do.

Good game so far. On par with RE7 or maybe even slightly better, better art direction for sure, better gameplay, better soundtrack, worse atmosphere, less scary, as for story i think RE7 had better story (so far). But the overall experience is on par or maybe slightly better than RE7, we'll see when im finished with the game if this is true.

Last edited:
Recently finished this game and overall I thought it was a pretty damn good game, a solid 8/10, but I do have some gripes to go along with the props.

EDIT: My spoiler tags aren't working correctly. SPOILERS Below

It has a very well designed map that while linear, doesn't feel as linear as it actually is. That may sound like a swipe, but it's actually impressive how well they mask the linearity of the game to make you feel like you're doing meaningful exploration. This adds to the factor that the game design always pushes you forward and you won't be getting stuck.The game does a great job of pulling you in and making you want to play for another half hour, before you know it, 3 hours have passed.

The pace of the game for the first 75% or so is fantastic until about halfway through the factory. The area is well pretty designed, but it just drags on and on while having too many enemy encounters. Even after all of the encounters from this area I didn't really have to worry about ammo.

The game looks fantastic. Sure there's some ugly textures here and there but if you play the game like a normal person, not zooming in on books on the shelf with a sniper rifle, you won't notice many of the small visual blemishes. There's some minor lip sync issues here and there but overall the facial animation and just the animation in general is really good. The ray tracing looks excellent and isn't over done/in your face, it just looks right.

I have some minor issues with the sound. I wish there was a bit more music. RE7 was also light on the music. Capcom, bring music back to RE games, please. Most of the voice acting is great. Straddles the line between campy/goofy and serious pretty well. Some of Lady D's lines sound like they were recorded or mixed shittily with what sounds like clipping on some of her lines. Speaking of mixing, it annoys me that most of the enemy noises are mixed in both speakers evenly to try to make it harder to know where they're coming from. It's used in horror movies a lot, but it's just fucking annoying in this game. A lot of the gun sounds are pretty underwhelming, especially the shotguns.

Outside of the creepy ass baby sequence the game never reached the same level of scares as RE7. RE7 is a consistently scary game, even on subsequent playthroughs. I replayed 7 right before starting 8 and the contrast is very noticeable, but not until you're a couple hours into Village.

A lot of that has to do with the abundance of ammo, money, and crafting supplies. I never felt that "I absolutely need to hit this headshot or I might run out of ammo soon" feeling that 7 nailed so well. Having such a big inventory also decreased tension. In the entire game I had to rearrange my case once, and I didn't have to make any decisions about what to keep, just moved things around some. Also pretty much every attempt at a jump scare falls flat, especially compared to 7.

My main gripe with the game is the story. "Ethan being a mold was an underwhelming revelation. When he was able to reattach his arm it basically confirmed what a lot of people had already thought from playing RE7. It was implied in RE7 with his arm being stapled back on or Lucas somehow reattaching his arm off screen. We see the regenerative properties with Mia being infected as well as the entire Baker family (outisde of Zoe I guess)"

The bait and switch with Mia/Miranda would've worked way better if it didn't involve Chris intentionally not telling Ethan, "hey that actually wasn't your wife, she's captured." It's just a stupid device to get a "twist" in.

The way the story unfolds, in general, isn't as good as RE7. Through the entirety of 7 you get meaningful little pieces and clues, whether through dialogue or through documents. In this game most of the documents don't really tell you much in terms of plot until the last 2 hours or so. The story itself also doesn't really get pushed forward at all for the entire middle section of the game.

Last edited:
Just finally getting into the game now since I have been busy with other stuff. What a great game so far.

MILD SPOILER :

I am past Lady D and met up with the Duke again heading towards the doll maker. Playing on hard-core with plenty of ammo to spare , less so on health but still enough . Taking my sweet time to get thru things. Probably going to take me more than 20 hours to complete, lol I'm so slow on most games.

PROTIP :
When upgrading capacity on your guns clip , always do so when it is empty or maybe a shot or 2 if a pistol , since you get the ammo when you upgrade for "free". You will get a lot of extra ammo if you time your upgrades wisely. Especially useful on the shotgun , rifle and magnum tier weapons.

Last edited:
Finished the game, and I gotta say I liked it much than RE7, and I loved it.

SPOILERS BELOW:

- PC: 3080 Ryzen 5800x, Played at 4k @60, great performance though it demanding way more ram than my 3080 has, like 12GB
- Took me around 10 hours to finish it (had I to play it on bursts and from time to time I had to do other things while playing)
- Despite what other said, I ran out of ammo in the final boss battle, so I used everything I had on my inventory, including a land mine
- At first when the first Lycans appeared I shit on my pants, specially during the first hours, maybe because of how much it impressed me having to survive the wave of enemies, but as I progressed through the game it went from scary to action/adventure
- I wish it had a lot more to explore, because the villains were really interesting, specially Lady Dimitrescu and Heisenberg, great characters
- Digged the way they presented the story, went from a "paranormal" or "magical" approach to a scientific one
- I liked the variety of locations for each villain, I found that very entertaining
- I could tell Mia wasn't dead, and obviously she had survived Chris opening, after all she was infected back in RE7
- Chris is badass
- It was cool they dropped some info about the Umbrella origin
- I really really loved Ethan's parenthood sentiment, I empathized with him when he took his decision at the ending
- I LOVED THE FABLE AT THE END
- Can't wait for the daughter's story

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Finished it.

Absolutely loved the entire closing hours of the game and the ending.

As a huge RE fan I was squirming at all the similarities to old games in the ending.

CHRIS GOING TO EUROPE! "THEY MUST PAY". Brilliant homage to how the classic RE games used to end! I absolutely loved everything about how Chris was treated. Yeah him tricking the audience he was bad really doesn't make sense but it was a nice ride for the RE fan. I thought Chris might die in this game but they're just like fuck it you know what Chris actually survives not only this but years in the future as well. LOVE IT.

Oh man and thinking Ethan is dead and playing as Chris and the whole build up there to how prepared Chris is and how his team handles shit? Just perfect.

And the music from the trailer I watched countless times is just the cherry on top.

Poor Ethan. I felt sorry for him. I think the whole aspect of him not being a real character makes him more pitiable. I love how the RE team is telling the fans "this experiment is over".

Can't wait to see what's next for RE.

Last edited:
Some mild spoilers:

Beat it on hard-core and loved almost every minute of it. Didn't really care for the dollmaker section but every other part was brilliant. I think I would probably rate it a 9.5 out of 10.

Playing on Villiage of Shadows now with no cheats or extra weapons or infinite ammo. It's definitely a serious challenge but still quite beatable with some patience and strategy. I am almost ready to take on Lady D and leave the mansion.
I have had to run past 3 different sections with a bunch of enemies to simply conserve ammo , otherwise I could not take on the mini boss daughter fights.
The initial lycan attack , the first daughter fight and the 3rd daughter fight all took me at least 20 tries to beat. But other than those so far I am progressing pretty smoothly.
Unless you get the extra post game weapons or the Karambit knife you do not have enough ammo to take everyone on in VoS difficulty. You kinda have to pick your battles.

tassletine

Say whatever you want about the game as an RE entry.

However, as a first person shooter (a genre Japanese developers have largely avoided) this is one of the best ever made.

Compared to the likes of Half-Life 2, FEAR, Titanfall 2 and more.

Such amazing pacing, search action gameplay and very well done first person body awareness makes for a high bar in the industry.

To me this deserves GOTY just for that.

Half-Life Alyx and Doom Eternal in 2020 and then Village in 2021. What a time to be a first person shooter fan.
The gunplay here is basic on every level. I own several shooters and there is no way I would load up a game of RE just to have a quick blast. Finding something to shoot would be my main objection.
You're right about it being molded around an FPS though, just not a very good one.

taizuke

I am having an insanely hard time with the Mercenaries mode. My combos break too easily, even when using only the shotgun and/or the sniper rifle. It's incredibly frustrating because I'm only missing one trophy for me to get the platinum (the one you get for achieving an S rank or more in every stage).

Any tips you lads are willing to share? I even tried following a PowerPyx guide to see the best routes, but the enemies spawn and behave differently at some points and end up destroying my combo streaks, which usually puts me at an A rank or so. The only stage where I've been able to get an S rank (SS, in fact) is the Village one. I tried both Factory and Mansion and could only get an A.

My advice, keep at it. There's a youtube channel named Maka91sguides and I've managed SS in the first two stages so far. He has guides for all 8 stages.

It's just one of those challenges that aren't going to come easy and it's okay to take a little break and try later.

The gunplay here is basic on every level. I own several shooters and there is no way I would load up a game of RE just to have a quick blast. Finding something to shoot would be my main objection.
You're right about it being molded around an FPS though, just not a very good one.

Hardly basic and rooted in the RE legacy so no you’re not using weapons like Doom guy.

The upgrades are fantastic and there is a wide assortment of weapons to choose from plus so many upgrades for each.

Very well done gunplay and weapon options.

My advice, keep at it. There's a youtube channel named Maka91sguides and I've managed SS in the first two stages so far. He has guides for all 8 stages.

It's just one of those challenges that aren't going to come easy and it's okay to take a little break and try later.
Aye, initially I thought I'd spend maybe 1 or 2 hours at most clearing this... big mistake. I just kept trying for a while longer without whining and eventually I sort of knew where most enemies would spawn. Just last week I got the plat for Demon's Souls and honestly it was way easier than getting through the Mercs mode in this game. It felt so satisfying to finally see this plat pop up haha.

taizuke

Aye, initially I thought I'd spend maybe 1 or 2 hours at most clearing this... big mistake. I just kept trying for a while longer without whining and eventually I sort of knew where most enemies would spawn. Just last week I got the plat for Demon's Souls and honestly it was way easier than getting through the Mercs mode in this game. It felt so satisfying to finally see this plat pop up haha.

I'm doing it cause 1) It's a tradition of mine to beat Resident Evil games into the ground and 2) I'm trying to get Darth Mall's lightsaber so I'm aiming for SS rank. I've finished the campaign 6 times already but I want to blaze through it one more time on Easy slicing everyone away.

However, tried the factory just now and most i could manage was Rank A, even with the guide. It's kind of tricky because one wrong move and your multiplier goes away.

But, don't give up. Eventually it becomes muscle memory and then is only a matter of time.

I'm doing it cause 1) It's a tradition of mine to beat Resident Evil games into the ground and 2) I'm trying to get Darth Mall's lightsaber so I'm aiming for SS rank. I've finished the campaign 6 times already but I want to blaze through it one more time on Easy slicing everyone away.

However, tried the factory just now and most i could manage was Rank A, even with the guide. It's kind of tricky because one wrong move and your multiplier goes away.

But, don't give up. Eventually it becomes muscle memory and then is only a matter of time.
Oh, I already have at least SS in every mercs stage. I got that last trophy I was missing a couple of days after I posted that message you quoted. I actually followed Sarcosucha's playthroughs to the best of my ability for Castle 1, Castle 2 & Factory 1 (which were the three stages that were giving me a hard time) after getting a feel for the spawns of every level and that did the trick. Check him out if you want!

Last edited:

taizuke

Oh, I already have at least SS in every mercs stage. I got that last trophy I was missing a couple of days after I posted that message you quoted. I actually followed Sarcosucha's playthroughs to the best of my ability for Castle 1, Castle 2 & Factory 1 (which were the three stages that were giving me a hard time) after getting a feel for the spawns of every level and that did the trick. Check him out if you want!

Oh cool! Congrats!

And I will check him out. Just got lucky and got SS in Factory 1 by a hair. haha

5 more stages to go! That double bladed lightsaber will be mine!

I say this but I'm pretty there's like a 75% chance Capcom will release a special pack which unlock these hidden weapons... for a fee... like they did for RE 2 Remake and I believe RE 3 Remake as well.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Resident Evil Village is known for many things, one of them being the terrifying propeller boss monster known as Sturm! But with the filmmaker of 2013's Frankenstein's Army accusing Capcom of plagiarism, one modder (Pumpkinhook) took it upon themselves to craft a copyright free version of this iconic enemy. Can you handle the horror which is... an office fan?

I just beat
"Heisenberg boss"
On VoS. That fight fucking sucked. Even though I had played since Day 1, I beat it on Hardcore in the same night, started VoS after. Game is almost as good as the first playthrough.

Last edited:

tassletine

Hardly basic and rooted in the RE legacy so no you’re not using weapons like Doom guy.

The upgrades are fantastic and there is a wide assortment of weapons to choose from plus so many upgrades for each.

Very well done gunplay and weapon options.
If you say so. As someone who loves shooters I found the game empty and easy, even on hard. I spent a lot of my time running around, hugging corners, pressing X, just like Doom.

Compared to something like Bulletstorm or Far Cry the upgrades and assortment of weapons are non existent. I wouldn't call that "wide" in any definition of the term.
Great that you enjoyed the game, I thought it was good., but it's never going to win best any best of the year FPS awards. I think you're overreaching somewhat.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I just finished, for like 100th time RE 5 and damn, that game is so much better than this. I know that co-op helps a lot, but whole thing is so tight. RE 8 is just `good` RE5 in co-op is excellent. Oh even those Remakes are far better than this.

Finally beat Lady D on VoS difficulty vanilla weapon only run.
Effing holy shit that was tough.
Took a good 25 plus tries and sometimes I would be 10 mins+ into the fight before I restarted , what a slog it was.
I beat the first phase without getting hit but the 2nd phase I messed up the timing and went through 4 healths and barely hung on haha.
Went through 26 sniper , 24 shotgun , and over 100 handgun rounds. Obviously had some missed shots but mostly just the pistol rounds. But she soaks up the ammo like you would not believe.

Now on to the dollhouse !

dDoc

I love Capcom, but please for the love of all thats holy, hire good writers for your stories.

Was going pretty well till the Heisenberg boss at which point absurdity ran rampant.

As bad a bullet sponge I thought Lady D was on Villiage of Shadows , Moreau takes it to a whole nother level.
I used over 50 shotgun shells , 30 rifle , 75 handgun , 4 grenade launcher shots , 3 pipe bombs and all 4 red exsplosive barrels. He takes an unbelievable amount of punishment on VoS.

Still had about 5 sniper left and 20 handgun a few mines also. But I was definitely running low on resources, took 4 healing too. What a grind it was.

Could easily see having to do a soft lock reset on a vanilla weapon run due to lack of ammo on that one if you aren't loaded up to the gills. I can already see me restarting many times with Heisenberg upcoming 😆

mcjmetroid

Started playing this game recently, I'm playing on hardcore mode as well which is awesome and thrilling ( once you get past a certain frustrating section at the beginning)

I think this game is a million times better than 7 which I never liked at all, never understood what people saw in it.
This I feel is the perfect balance of the old style of resi games, the horror of the older games and 4's combat heaviness.

Now to be fair I don't think it does any of those things seperatly as well as previous games but it marraiges them all better than any Resi game before.

I feel like they should have went in a different direction to using Ethan though. Maybe a new protangist? He's very bland and the dialogue he is given to react to scenes isn't very good.

I'm not feeling the story so far being honest but whatever I don't care too much on story in games anyway.

Also..... a little nitpick but the layout of the main hub village ( the one with roadblocks by trucks and tractors) is kind of bad as well. It's not bad per say but the map doesn't help things. I would have preferred they went the silent hill map design of.....when a street is blocked off, it marks it on the map automatically in red pen.
Re village doesnt do that. It makes the map worthless in that area and made traversing that area very annoying.

Otherwise good show so far, I think it deserves the review scores it got so far.

I feel like they are going in the right direction with the series.

Last edited:
Fuck Heisenberg on VoS . One of the most bullshit fights I have ever seen in gaming...

What's most annoying to me is the damn cannon you have to shoot him with to back him off, maybe it's my mediocre tv but there is an absolute BLINDING cloud of smoke after the shot, so much so it covers all his orange spots you need to shoot and you just need to guess until the smoke clears. And of course since it's VoS you need put so much ammo in him you can barely let up for a second. 3 hits and your dead with no healing . Whoever designed this should be beaten with a sack of doorknobs. I think I beat it on my first or second try on hardcore. Fookin bullshit.

I have been getting better with my gaming rage in the past year or 2 but wow , this fight was starting to tweak me enough to turn it off for a bit.
PR0ZiBZ.gif

dDoc

At the point of the Heisenberg boss and onwards this game turned from a good game to a silly one for me.

Complete turn off. What were Capcom thinking?

catvonpee

I just bought a copy of this. Idk how but I completely forgot that this was out. I .glad to see some comparisons to RE4 and overall positive impressions.

catvonpee

I just made it through the castle and I didn't like the game at first since the gameplay kind of feels like it is on rails in a way. But wow, what an amazing sequence of events.

It's also amusing how the game kind of had some ridiculously over the top things that happen to the protagonist. (Kind of like in Evil Dead).

Anyway, so far the game is a 10/10 and I've gotten used to the gameplay. I just wish it felt a little looser and more action oriented. But either way, way more interesting than the franchise had been in a long time. I am definitely enjoying it.

catvonpee

At the point of the Heisenberg boss and onwards this game turned from a good game to a silly one for me.

Complete turn off. What were Capcom thinking?
"Let's make the game like Evil Dead 2 mated with Resident Evil 4" seems like what they were thinking.

Holgren

Just beated the Castle boss and so far it's alright. I'm surprised at how straightforward and easy it is. The beginning part with the lycans was tough as hell though.

IDK if Lady D is done after the castle but if that's all her participation in the game, goddamn what an underwhelming villain. The castle and village are very disappointing compared to the first section of RE7, I take Jack and Margerite any day of the week.

EDIT: Just finished it, it was fun but not even top 5 RE game.

Last edited:
Damn fine game!

Finally got around to playing this. And completed it in two sittings.

I don't know why but for some reason I was expecting it to be worse than RE7. But really this is just a fantastic sequel.

More like this please Capcom!

Shmunter

Finally decided to give this a shot. The gfx are incredible(ps)

Grizzles: when will studios learn to do stage acting for their characters dialogue. Sounds like everyone was reading lines in a booth here. This is the difference between 3rd party and the likes of Naughty Dog and other 1st tier studios seemingly.

The camera view controlled by motion is interesting, but lacks fine tuning so it’s not fast enough for me so need to go back to stick. Shame.

Other than those observations, game is mint. Hope not finishing RE7 is not a big detriment..

Last edited:
Bought the game 2 days ago (thanks to Xbox BF sales) and :

The writing/character lines of this game (so far)...Jesus gents, awful stuff, it's resident evil, i know, but still...
Ethan's voice actor = not good, it's like he's reading his lines from a sheet of paper. ("Rose, WHAT A MIRACLE !11!" - upon inspecting a photo in the intro, lolworthy stuff).
Also, while i enjoyed/liked RE7, put me in the camp of those that prefer their RE's in 3rd person, the 1st person camera just isn't doing it for me (preferences and all that).

Anyway, NOW i understand what people have been saying all this time about the controls/freelook/aim , on the default settings, when aiming, it feels like - how to put it - you're trying to move the crosshair inside a square (?) It doesn't feel natural at all.
I've fiddled with the aim acceleration settings etc but it still feels super weird, default acceleration settings are set to "mid" but if you turn those up it feels like someone's put a rubber band on the right analogue sticks while if you set those to "none" then both the freelook and aim become super-sensitive and you still can't shoot for shit, what settings are people using ?
Also : on XSX i've noticed that the vibration/rumble mostly comes from the left side of the joypad(?), is this a bug ? (my controller works fine in other games).

Cheers

PS : playing it on hard and i'm also finding it difficult escaping "that" scene/scenario at the beginning of the game

Last edited:
Top Bottom