• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil VIIIage DLC "Shadows of Rose" Announced (coming October 28, 2022)

MiguelItUp

Gameplay of the DLC looked really odd to me, but I'll probably still check it out. Wasn't expecting third person at all, but that's cool TBH. Though, while it was different, I feel like RE7's creepy levels were so effective because it was first person. In Village I didn't feel like it as effective, so maybe third person will feel even better. I still think it's hilarious that Reverse IS still coming, and they showed the smallest snippet and it looked no different than it did almost a year ago, lmao.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Im ready to play as ethan mourinho in third person
Premier League No GIF

Also videogame dlc about a kid carrying guns ? Goodluck guys

Last edited:
IMO it just wouldn’t work with the way the shooting specific enemy locations works. The original games’ camera works cuz you could just aim straight, slightly higher, or slightly lower; very simplistic. In the remakes the difficulty is balanced around aiming for enemies in the head, hittin fast movers like lickers or dogs, or hittin tiny weak spots on bosses. Movin around the levels would work fine, theres plenty of mod vids on youtube showin that, but the whole enemy balance/game design would need to be modified. :messenger_confused:
Fixed cameras could work if they make it like the RE4 “Hookman” alpha. That had fixed angles when exploring, but when aiming the view quickly changed to over the shoulder for accuracy. Maybe the sudden perspective shift would be jarring for some, but it would be an optional mode anyways.

-MD-

I think both views are awesome. I wouldn't mind if RE9 included both FPS and TPS out of the box. This way, players can play whichever way they prefer.

I imagine it's hard to design a horror game around 2 different cameras. 7 and 8 were designed as an FPS so I'm sure there are parts of the game that don't work as well in third person.

From what I can tell the DLC is third person only.

Last edited:

Doom85

Also videogame dlc about a kid carrying guns ? Goodluck guys

We’re soon receiving a remaster of The Last of Us in which a portion of the game has you playing as a 14 year old shooting and stabbing a bunch of people (albeit horrific cannibals). Nobody raised a fuss then or now. The DLC has a 16 year old shooting monsters that, from what I gather, may not even be real and are just hallucinatory projections.

So yeah, this should be a non issue. Never mind in Resident Evil Revelations 2 you could play an actual child (Natalia) and kill a ton of zombies by smashing them with bricks.

Nickolaidas

I'm really curious to see how will they treat the cutscenes of the base game, which were built for 1st person.

Will they keep them as is and revert to 3rd person the second you can control Ethan?

Will they be in 3rd person with an almost static camera as if you are observing Ethan from a few feet away?

Will they be completely re-done to mimic the cinematic style of RE2/3make?

Because if it's the last two options, that means more work for the animators for Ethan's facial expressions and animations. In the trailer, I couldn't help but feel that the grapple that Ethan receives from one of the daughters has him in an almost lifeless animation (his face is hidden, but even from shoulder-view, he doesn't seem to contort his face at all (you don't see his cheeks spasm to show that he's grimacing for example).

If you see his head, his face doesn't seem to be reacting to the threat at all.

u4gOjcZ.png

SkylineRKR

They modeled Rose after an actual person isn't it? Ofcourse they're going to do 3rd. Its nice that they'll add it to the main game as well.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
u9PJTFi.jpg
sepVWJ1.jpg
X4J5AxY.jpg
YfFP3hL.jpg
nfIsZhQ.jpg
X3u1Gzj.jpg
R1x5WTm.jpg
HgT2HeP.jpg
Y52W7Vy.jpg
Yf6nGaJ.jpg

Love how it completely changes the look of the game.
Looks fantastic

Last edited:

TGO

You love the love of the game? XD

Anyways, this looks like a cross between a zombie and a molded.

WY1XtuA.jpg
Yeah man, can't you see the love that's gone into it! 😂
It's a typo, auto correct did it probably because I wrote love before hand.

Last edited:
Some people on YouTube have called the DLC for Rosemary lazy, because it appears as if Capcom is using the same assets from the main game, but just added in darker imagery to reflect her so-called powers. Well, I think if you wanted something entirely new, that concept would have probably took Capcom at least a few more years.

The RE7 content was supposed to be out in March of 2017, just 2 months after the base game itself released. But it was delayed. It's quite possible that RE8 really was not meant to get any post release stuff at all, strangely enough. Did they not believe RE8 would sell well, when it's practically similar to RE4? But anyway, that does seem peculiar.

I doubt the third person camera will even allow anybody to clearly see Ethan's face. But we will have to wait until October to find out for sure.

TGO

Some people on YouTube have called the DLC for Rosemary lazy, because it appears as if Capcom is using the same assets from the main game, but just added in darker imagery to reflect her so-called powers. Well, I think if you wanted something entirely new, that concept would have probably took Capcom at least a few more years.

The RE7 content was supposed to be out in March of 2017, just 2 months after the base game itself released. But it was delayed. It's quite possible that RE8 really was not meant to get any post release stuff at all, strangely enough. Did they not believe RE8 would sell well, when it's practically similar to RE4? But anyway, that does seem peculiar.

I doubt the third person camera will even allow anybody to clearly see Ethan's face. But we will have to wait until October to find out for sure.
I believe the DLC is being handled by the RE2/RE4 team.
Peter Fabiano has left Capcom and joined Bungie after RE8's release.
This probably explains the change in direction as Yoshiaki Hirabayashi seems to be heading most RE games now it seems.

BreakOut

This game was meant to be played in 1st person. I can’t imagine playing it any other way and still having the same experience and fun. Whether or not they should continue using that in the future is a different debate, but this game needs to be played in first person to get the full experience. It just won’t be as fun without it. Not by a large margin.

Spaceman292

Banned
This game was meant to be played in 1st person. I can’t imagine playing it any other way and still having the same experience and fun. Whether or not they should continue using that in the future is a different debate, but this game needs to be played in first person to get the full experience. It just won’t be as fun without it. Not by a large margin.
The people who made the game seem to disagree

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It will be really interesting! Some areas seem tightly designed for first person but I like 3rd person, so I will for sure try replaying it this way

Capcom is probably only doing this because so many fans complained about not liking the first person perspective becoming more regular. Not only that, Ethan's face got leaked in the epilogue when these videos went up of him walking towards the vehicle, so they probably decided it was pointless to hide it. However, they're still pretty much hiding the guy's face anyway.

It seems during the game, he moves his head around, so you cannot get a proper look at it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Capcom is probably only doing this because so many fans complained about not liking the first person perspective becoming more regular. Not only that, Ethan's face got leaked in the epilogue when these videos went up of him walking towards the vehicle, so they probably decided it was pointless to hide it. However, they're still pretty much hiding the guy's face anyway.

It seems during the game, he moves his head around, so you cannot get a proper look at it.
I never understood the point of hiding his face.
What's the big idea?
We hear him constantly talk. He is a character, he is not a player.
And it's not like they will finally reveal his face and say ITS CHRIS !!!
Especially that we know how his face looks like from 3d model and so on. His face is there. Just hidden

The environment is the enemy in the DLC. First person would be hard when you're supposed to be protecting yourself from any direction at any time. Third person is the logical choice for this style of gameplay, I doubt Capcom is giving up on 1st person.

SkylineRKR

I think First Persons days are numbered in RE. Its also not really good for mercs etc, I rather have third person for that. Also most RE characters are iconic, players want to see who they control and Jill's ass.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The environment is the enemy in the DLC. First person would be hard when you're supposed to be protecting yourself from any direction at any time. Third person is the logical choice for this style of gameplay, I doubt Capcom is giving up on 1st person.
warning: brain fart incoming!

First person mode is artificially more tight/scary.
Normally, as in reality, you know where your limbs are, where your body is and so on. You feel your surroundings, floor and have a collectively much larger fov/understanding of the surroundings.
So this is my justification why I actually think 3rd person is interesting to cheat your way over traditional 1st person limitations. Allows you to see your body like you feel it in reality.
It's just like driving a car! Even though you sit inside it, you feel where the wheels an body of the care are positioned in space. You have sensory and physical feedback.
3rd person mode gives us a little bit of all of that back !

Of course vr overcomes most of these problems, except for racing helmet fov and no eyes movement yet.

BreakOut

It will be really interesting! Some areas seem tightly designed for first person but I like 3rd person, so I will for sure try replaying it this way
Yeah. There are definitely a handful of areas where I’m wondering if the Jumpscare, fear factor element will be maintained. I won’t lie that game scared the shit out of me. It took me a long time to complete it because I had to keep stopping taking off my headphones and breathing. That was like truly the first game that I was like I can’t fucking play this and one go.

skneogaf

What the hell have capcom done to the absolute perfect camera from resident evil 2 remake?

I need to see the options for camera before I buy this as this camera looks worse than resident evil 6 😭🤮💩

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
wtf
What the hell have capcom done to the absolute perfect camera from resident evil 2 remake?

I need to see the options for camera before I buy this as this camera looks worse than resident evil 6 😭🤮💩

it wasn't so close in previous trailer? whats going on.

Edit: a bit better here

Last edited:

skneogaf

Its not as zoomed in here but it still looks awful!

In resident evil 2 remake your character moves in front of the camera but here it looks like 5 and 6 where the character moves at the same time as the camera.

If that makes sense?

I'm gutted!

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

With Resident Evil Village's new Winter's Expansion DLC out, we not only get a new 3rd person mode, but an all new story campaign staring Ethan's daughter Rose. This DLC seems to be moving in the direction of classic Resident Evil gameplay, but the question is, did it move far enough in that direction to matter? Well, let's find out.

00:00 Intro
01:40 What's Winter's Expansion?
03:50 Shadows of Rose Story
11:29 Gameplay
23:41 Presentation
28:46 Conclusion
31:32: End

Top Bottom