• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil VIIlage coming to Xbox Game Pass

Draugoth

Gold Member
A Polish website claims that RE: VIIlage is coming to Game Pass:
VjB2iK2.jpg

The Capcom publisher is currently selling on the Xbox Store. At the very beginning of the list of discounted games is the title Resident Evil Village. In the quick preview of the game, in addition to its description and price, there is also information that it is part of the Xbox Game Pass subscription. We captured everything in the screenshot above.

The bad news is that after a dozen or so minutes, the words "As part of Game Pass" no longer appear under the price of the game in the Xbox Store. So it's possible that it was just a strange bug on the part of Microsoft, but the more optimistic version is the one where the Xbox employee rushed a bit and Resident Evil Village will actually end up in the Xbox Game Pass library soon.

Resident Evil Village premiered on May 7, 2021, so it's been almost a year since then. Following this lead, the sales of the Capcom game are not overly high anymore, so adding it to the Game Pass offer in the near future would be a natural step - especially since Resident Evil 7 has been included in the subscription for a long time.

ByWatterson

Whaaaaaaa

Hope it's true. Jumped in a couple months back and swiftly made a brain switch to Game Pass default, purchase only in extraordinary circumstances (Sony first-party, etc.).

Last edited:
I selfishly hope not since I bought it digital on a Christmas sale. It’s a little deflating when the big AAA game for the month is one you already have.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I know why they dont do it, but I really wish gamepass schedules were more robust so I could avoid buying more games that will come to the service.

Village will have been out for over a year if/when this happens lol.

You can't really predict a year in advance.

ckaneo

Just curious: have there been recent examples other than Cyberpunk of these things NOT leading to that game coming to Game Pass?
Honest the physical copies were so cheap I thought it was a sure thing. I still think it will come this year though.

maybe right before they start selling dlc, unless they make it all free

skit_data

Wasn’t there a leaked document of marketing agreements between Capcom and Playstation regarding RE Village that specified it couldn’t be put on Gamepass?

GloveSlap

It was always a high possibility IMO. I've specifically avoided buying it for this reason along with RE3 remake.

These are perfect GP games to me since i only play these once, and they are relatively short.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

adamsapple

could just be a discount for gamepass users

Could be, but we already know from the leaked Sony/Capcom doc that Sony explicitly negotiated a 1 year deal for it to not show on any subscription service with the option to negotiate further. Maybe Sony didn't feel its worth negotiating further.

RE7 has been on GP for around 2 years-ish now and it seems Capcom are fine with keeping it their, maybe MS cut them a pretty good deal. Capcom would probably not say no to a similar one for Village once their contractual obligation with Sony lapses.

Of course all of this is speculation on my part.

Last edited:

Banned
Ms seems to have a good gamepass relationship with capcom, sega and square enix. A good portion of their games have made it to gamepass.

pretty sure this is a win-win situation since Japanese games had it historically hard on Xbox and microsoft wants to give people more japanese games.
so the games get exposure through gamepass and the Xbox brand seems more japan-friendly at the same time

ckaneo

Ms seems to have a good gamepass relationship with capcom, sega and square enix. A good portion of their games have made it to gamepass.
Works against them as well since they also take free money from Sony to keep games off xbox
Street Fighter, Persona. Final Fantasy etc

K' Dash

I know why they dont do it, but I really wish gamepass schedules were more robust so I could avoid buying more games that will come to the service.

I mean, that would be good and all but Village is so fucking good that I don't regret paying the 60 buckaroos to play it day one.

I hope more people play it in the service cause the game fucking deserves it.

jaysius

Banned
On a related note, they’ve fucked consumers out of content with the failure to release the albeit awful looking Re:Verse. The thing would have been awful, but we’re still owed something for the shafting.

I think when the Activision deal goes through and subs increase, you'll see bigger third parties releasing and going to GP on launch or a much shorter time after. 3 to 6 months is highly possible, it's not really is GP sustainable anymore but how long will it take for it to reach sub numbers that publishers can't ignore?

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Yeah, I remember that. I think it was for a year from release so we'll see if Village comes to Game Pass before May.

I'm really interested in this game, so I hope this rumor is true.
Buy it. It should be $25 or less now

adamsapple

I don’t think that’s it. If it were simply coming in May, he would have just ignored the story for now. I highly doubt Village comes to Game Pass in the next 6 months.

Sure, I still think if Sony doesn't use the option to negotiate further, Village would come to GP as well. We've still got a bunch of wees to go between now and May so I can see why Larry would want to run damage control now.

All of this is speculation of course.

Sure, I still think if Sony doesn't use the option to negotiate further, Village would come to GP as well. We've still got a bunch of wees to go between now and May so I can see why Larry would want to run damage control now.

All of this is speculation of course.

I don’t think they’d say they have no current plans to bring Village to Game Pass if they were planning to drop it there in May. There’s no need to address the rumor to lie like that. No one knows for sure, but I think that’s extremely unlikely.

Top Bottom