• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Village Producer Peter Fabiano: We Consider This the Best Survival Horror Game to Date

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A lot has been said about Lady Dimitrescu, one of the antagonists of Ethan Winters in the game. Her vampire-like appearance and powerset seems entirely new to Resident Evil, but in an interview published on the latest Playstation Official Magazine (March 2021, issue 185), CAPCOM Producer Peter Fabiano explained that everything in Resident Evil Village will ultimately fit the franchise lore.

Dimitrescu and her three daughters all harken back to what you might expect from vampire lore. We’re not saying that’s what they are, but there’s certainly something that feels supernatural about what’s going on.
We don’t want to spoil too much of the story but what I can say is that the creatures all fit
within the context of Resident Evil’s world. We can assure you that Resident Evil Village takes into account the overall world and history of the series.

Fabiano then went on to say that the team believes to be putting the finishing touches on what will be the 'best survival horror game' ever released with Resident Evil Village.

Concepting and planning was something going through our developers’ minds since towards the end of Resident Evil VII: Biohazard. The team grew quite attached to Ethan as a character so we knew we wanted to continue his story arc. We wanted to continue to have players experience the game through the eyes of protagonist Ethan Winters. This is a continuation of Resident Evil VII: Biohazard after all.
This really helped to keep our vision on target. And since we are constantly sharing information across Resident Evil teams, that really helped inform us in making what we consider the best survival horror game to date.

Last but not least, Fabiano said Resident Evil Village has received significant inspiration from Resident Evil 4, the series' installment with the highest critics score (96 on Metacritic).

You’ll notice we took a lot of inspiration from Resident Evil 4. The team has put a ton of effort into creating a truly authentic feel. There are plenty of surprises to keep you on your toes; players will find a balance of combat, exploration, and puzzle solving.

Last edited:

Skifi28

"We don't consider our latest game to be our best work yet, we've made better stuff in the past."

Said no dev interview ever. Yeah, I'm still a little sore this is the direction the series is going. 7 would be great as something stand-alone, but a direct sequel seems too much. The re4 influnces are nice, but I'd rather have them make a new game in the older style rather than just remakes.

DinoD

"Look at our newest product its the best ............." marketing template.

Let us be the judges.

Edit: I played the "Maiden" demo and all I really liked were Ms. Dimitrescu jug(ular)s.

Last edited:

Caio

"We don't consider our latest game to be our best work yet, we've made better stuff in the past."

Said no dev interview ever. Yeah, I'm still a little sore this is the direction the series is going. 7 would be great as something stand-alone, but a direct sequel seems too much. The re4 influnces are nice, but I'd rather have them make a new game in the older style rather than just remakes.
It's also dangerous to make this kind of statement if the Game do not live up to the expectations and do not deliver a great experience. He could simply say :"We are confident this will be a great Survival Horror".
Maybe devs are really confident about Village, so confident to make such a statement. Who knows. We will see soon.

I really hope this Game will deliver an amazing horror experience, I love RE, and loved VII.

carlosrox

Banned
Well the demo certainly had an absolutely incredible atmosphere.

We'll see how the game turns out but it is definitely looking amazing!

RE7 was pretty damn awesome and this game looks to be better in nearly every way so I definitely have high hopes.

Wonder if it'll be as good as RE2make. That was a damn fine entry in the series.

c943c7d64fd5d64c588c00fd78c5af54.gif

ethomaz

Banned
REVII even with some flaws were fantastic and a really a spiritual sequel do RE original.
Now if they can to better with REVIII then it will be one of the best RE ever created.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Capcom’s store in Japan has such a better selection of Village goods. Worst part is, you can’t order anything on their site unless you live in Japan. They have official OSTs, shirts, stickers, Chris’s coat, and the small scaled item box. I wanted to get the small replicas, but I can’t. I wish Capcom’s NA website was better. It’s a barren wasteland. I ended up having to import the OST for Village from Play-Asia. Their Japanese site is like the Disney Store was for Disney licensed stuff.

Arachnid

Better than Alien Isolation, Silent Hill 2, and Fatal Frame 2?

Fat chance lol

EDIT: But I admire the their ambition tbh. Aim for the moon

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
Surprise, he would have been the first guy in history saying "Well, we did our best, but (our) older stuff is much better".

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Hey, can't blame them for wanting to talk up their project and be proud of it.

I don't know if I'll agree with that statement at all, but I'm just hoping it's as good if not better than RE7. Can't believe it's only a month away!

fart town usa

Gold Member
And I have to play 7. Been afraid of 1st person haha.
7 is really good. Just a heads up, it takes a good 2 hours or so on your first play through for it to really open up, lots of scripted things at first. Just be patient if you feel like it's dragging. Once it opens up though it's a total blast, really reminiscent of the very first game in terms of exploration, locked doors, etc.

Astral Dog

RE7 was amazing so i have no doubt RE8 will be as well 👍 this team has been working hard to take RE7 to the next level 🧟‍♂️

tillbot8

Banned
Just once I would love a producer to tell us before a game is out 'meh its okay I suppose, we have done better in the past but ah well fuck you buy it anyway' lol

nemiroff

Gold Member
That's quite the shocking statement.. The cheapest digital XSX version preorder in my country is 75 US dollars converted BTW. Fuck that shit even if it turns out a great game.

Arachnid

That's quite the shocking statement.. The cheapest digital XSX version preorder in my country is 75 US dollars converted BTW. Fuck that shit even if it turns out a great game.
Maybe its a blessing the console is so hard to find. By the time most people get one, the game will have dropped to $30 lol.

I preordered the collectors edition for XSX for the Chris statue though and I still can't even get my hands on a XSX. I thought it'd be abundant by the time the game released but we're weeks out and I still cant get a console. Kind of ridiculous

Astral Dog

It looks like my dream sequel to Reaident Evil 7, that one was pure EVIL DEAD and TCM. VILLAGE takes from the Witch and Dracula.

Bring on the first person horror! exploration, puzzles, item managment, werewolves, witches, satanic rituals, crazy villagers, evil castle, vampires, and whatever cool monster Capcom has prepared for us 😍

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

A lot has been said about Lady Dimitrescu, one of the antagonists of Ethan Winters in the game. Her vampire-like appearance and powerset seems entirely new to Resident Evil, but in an interview published on the latest Playstation Official Magazine (March 2021, issue 185), CAPCOM Producer Peter Fabiano explained that everything in Resident Evil Village will ultimately fit the franchise lore.

Fabiano then went on to say that the team believes to be putting the finishing touches on what will be the 'best survival horror game' ever released with Resident Evil Village.

Last but not least, Fabiano said Resident Evil Village has received significant inspiration from Resident Evil 4, the series' installment with the highest critics score (96 on Metacritic).
I see this Resident evil the must funny ever with many memes

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In an interview with Axios Gaming included in its latest newsletter, Kanda said Village’s development team didn’t want to frighten off players, after some feedback suggested the game’s predecessor was too scary.

“When we develop a new Resident Evil game, our goal is not always to make it scarier than the previous title, but find a balance to deliver a scary but fun experience for players,” he said.

“Some of the feedback we received regarding [RE7 was] that it was too scary to play,” Kanda added. “In one regard, that’s exactly what we were striving for, so it’s a huge compliment for us.

“But at the same time, it’s always our goal to create something that anybody can feel comfortable jumping in and playing, so we eased up on the tension curve [in RE Village] relative to Resident Evil 7: Biohazard, so that players aren’t in constant fear.”

While Resident Evil 7 put players in a series of confined spaces, “as if the walls of the Baker mansion were closing in on them”, Resident Evil Village’s relatively open environments aim to create tension differently.

“For Resident Evil Village, we took an entirely different approach with the openness of the village and players not knowing what might be lurking beyond the trees,” Kanda said.

“Something we also always have to pay attention to is the tension curve. We also find that people grow immune to fear if they’re consistently pitted up against a tense situation or environment.

“Those moments of solace act as a buffer to make sure that people aren’t completely desensitized to the horror. The save rooms that you often see in many ‘Resident Evil’ games is a great example of that, where players can take a deep breath and know that they are safe.”

GymWolf

In an interview with Axios Gaming included in its latest newsletter, Kanda said Village’s development team didn’t want to frighten off players, after some feedback suggested the game’s predecessor was too scary.

“When we develop a new Resident Evil game, our goal is not always to make it scarier than the previous title, but find a balance to deliver a scary but fun experience for players,” he said.

“Some of the feedback we received regarding [RE7 was] that it was too scary to play,” Kanda added. “In one regard, that’s exactly what we were striving for, so it’s a huge compliment for us.

“But at the same time, it’s always our goal to create something that anybody can feel comfortable jumping in and playing, so we eased up on the tension curve [in RE Village] relative to Resident Evil 7: Biohazard, so that players aren’t in constant fear.”

While Resident Evil 7 put players in a series of confined spaces, “as if the walls of the Baker mansion were closing in on them”, Resident Evil Village’s relatively open environments aim to create tension differently.

“For Resident Evil Village, we took an entirely different approach with the openness of the village and players not knowing what might be lurking beyond the trees,” Kanda said.

“Something we also always have to pay attention to is the tension curve. We also find that people grow immune to fear if they’re consistently pitted up against a tense situation or environment.

“Those moments of solace act as a buffer to make sure that people aren’t completely desensitized to the horror. The save rooms that you often see in many ‘Resident Evil’ games is a great example of that, where players can take a deep breath and know that they are safe.”
Lol, we are building the best survival HORROR ever...also some pussies were too scared about re7 so we toned down the scary part in our best survival HORROR game...

Yuo can't make this shit up :lollipop_squinting:

Well the demo certainly had an absolutely incredible atmosphere.

We'll see how the game turns out but it is definitely looking amazing!

RE7 was pretty damn awesome and this game looks to be better in nearly every way so I definitely have high hopes.

Wonder if it'll be as good as RE2make. That was a damn fine entry in the series.
I don't know how the hell they did it with REMake 2 but damn... It was just perfect. I can't find a single person who played and hated that game.

peronmls

This series is a weird one. Went from Horror to Action to Horror/Action. The RE8 demo wasn't scary at all.

I really dislike this comment as well.

Probably going to buy this game half-off.

I don't want this producer working on horror games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom